logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2010 03:04:59(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

As many of you will have seen from this forum,some of  the really  important social history of the village was never realized by the contributors of some of the pictures to this forum. In a number of cases the background is of vastly more importance than the foreground.

The reality is that if you have any picture of Whaley  from the 70's going backwards, it will capture some form of social history , either in the subject of the photo or in the background of the photo, and there are many people on this forum, myself included, who would love to archive this information and ensure that it is not lost. The older the photos or documents are the more interesting it gets.

Please do not throw any photos of Whaley away, as your photos may be unique.

If you have old Whaley photos but you dont know what they are , we will happily do the work in trying to decipher them.

Likewise, if you have any old historical documentation of Whaley Bridge, no matter how insignificant it may seem, please do not throw it away.There will always be one of us who will archive it or extract detail.  This could be old ledgers from shops or old deeds , or even just old receipts or letters from shops long gone. Everything is interesting to someone, even if it is of no interest to yourself. You may not even be certain if it has anything to do with Whaley. Any detail adds to the jigsaw of Whaley Bridge History.

If you are in the unfortunate position of clearing a house and aren't really sure about the relevence of the photos or the documents then please feel free to post or drop them in at my home address(see http://www.whaleybridge.com/your-councillors/) and I will ensure they get archived. Alternatively, just drop them in to the Mechanics Institute in whaley Bridge.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
umtali  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2010 08:51:17(UTC)

Groups: Guest

The problem is … people that throw away historical pictures or documents will not be reading the content of these pages, the Buxton Advertiser or a flyer is more likely to produce results, the question is who will pay for the add?
davethescope  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2010 17:08:05(UTC)
davethescope

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
I have a coupleof old receipts from Whaley shops which I found on eBay. In light of your plea I will attempt to share them with you all and hope that they provoke some interesting reminiscences

Edited by user 12 December 2010 17:10:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
CowardsReceipt002.jpg (746kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
MortonReceipt002.jpg (1,165kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
shallcross  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2010 18:27:28(UTC)
shallcross

Well Dave

Thanks for sharing these,

You see how relevent these receipts are if you follow the Errwood Hall thread as both are connected to Errwood Hall, one with the owners and one with the servants and I would imagine they are from the same solicitors source as the ones I posted a couple of months ago.

Edited by user 12 December 2010 23:24:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Shallcross
Norm  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2010 18:34:13(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Dave's two receipts from post #3.

Norm attached the following image(s):
receipt1.jpg
receipt2.jpg
davethescope  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2010 20:11:39(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
A not very exciting postcard of, I think, Fernilee reservoir. No date or any other information on the reverso.
File Attachment(s):
WhaleyPostCard002.jpg (314kb) downloaded 26 time(s).
davethescope attached the following image(s):
WhaleyPostCard001_300x190.jpg
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Born&Bred  
#7 Posted : 12 December 2010 22:09:43(UTC)
Born&Bred

Man

Fernilee ??????????????? Toddbrook
snoopy  
#8 Posted : 13 December 2010 07:20:02(UTC)
snoopy

Originally Posted by: Born& Go to Quoted Post
Fernilee ??????????????? Toddbrook

Yes it does look like Toddbrook.

That's a dodgy keyboard you have there Born&Bred, I think the ? key sticks sometimes.

towpath tommy  
#9 Posted : 13 December 2010 14:12:54(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello everyone.. Just a thought on old photos.. How many of us are guilty of this.. We store our boxes of family photos but for some reason we tend not to write (in pencil - or in my case crayon as I am not allowed anything sharp!) on the backs the names of the people in the pics. As an amateur family historian I have become well aware that we neglect this area as did our ancestors. It will help future generations if we record on the backs of photos any relevant details. Pencil is apparently the recommended way as marker pens/biros can damage them and sticking labels on can create problems via the adhesive.
Towpath Tommy ( Dave Peart ) thinks a day without laughter is a day wasted
spanners  
#10 Posted : 13 December 2010 21:24:31(UTC)
spanners

it is todbrook we have the same post card amongst my grand mothers old collection