logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2010 22:17:09(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

A Daily Telegraph picture gallery features the most severe winters on record.  This picture shows German prisoners of war clearing snow in 1947, presumably on Long Hill :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/uknews/8209333/Britains-coldest-winters-on-record-in-pictures.html 

There area couple of other snowy scenes from the Glossop area

Edited by user 19 December 2010 22:19:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Over the hill but not far away  
#2 Posted : 19 December 2010 23:08:38(UTC)

Apparently the next bad one was 1963, which I remember well, but I have to say these past two have been the coldest since.......anyway I digress, do you know the exact location, or better still have any photos of the POW camp at Dove Holes.  A hut was removed and given to the scouts.

Cheers

Edited by user 19 December 2010 23:09:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2010 08:19:08(UTC)
G. Jackson

I remember both the '47 and the '63. During the 63 everyone said that it wasn't as bad as '47. I think in 1947 we were just getting over the war and still had rationing and it was a very austere time. In 1963 we were starting the upsurge so it wasn't as bad in England socially. Last year was nothing compared with these and all the posts on this site about a scattering of snow here and there seemed so negative. In the past we didn't complain about things as much as we do today. There is the "American sue everybody" culture here now which doesn't help.  How many of the people who complain about the council not gritting pavements go to see their old or infirm neighbours to see if they are OK? 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2010 08:31:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello and good morning, David and OTHBNFA,

David why would you assume the road is Long Hill? The report says “near Chapel-en-le-Frith” and surely that is the road they would clear.

OTHBNFA I would be very interested to hear more about your story of the German POW hut given to the Scouts at Dove Holes.

I have never heard of a Scout Group at Dove Holes and I do know the German POW camp at Peak Dale but I am not sure of one at Dove. Some perhaps were housed in what became the over 60’s club.

Quite a few German prisoners remained in England after the war and lived in Dove Holes though.

A large number of the Germans in the camp at Peak dale died from flu and were buried at the top of the church yard in a mass grave. I think their bodies were removed in the mid 70’s.

R. S-S
parabuild  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2010 09:19:03(UTC)
parabuild

Man

You're quite right R. S-S.  I missed the bottom line of the photo caption.  Perhaps my head is numbed by the cold weather.

george  
#6 Posted : 20 December 2010 10:21:14(UTC)
george

Good morning winter suffers

I vaguely remember my mother taking me on a bus to Chapel in 1947 and immediately past the Hanging Gate the there had been a very deep snow drift with a channel dug out and the snow was piled high coming level with the top of the bus. Also I later was told this had been dug out by German prisoners of war.

Could this explain David's photo from the Telegraph as it was on the road from Whaley Bridge to Buxton near Chapel?

george 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 23 December 2010 17:31:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

David,

This is a photo taken in 1947 of the A6 just going out of Dove Holes towards Buxton.

The ‘hill’ you can see to the right was known as Bibbington’s Tip. It was made up entirely of old lime and some of the photographers from the national newspapers thought it was a huge snow drift.

Looking at the road it must have been a lot worse than we are having now. You know what I mean; not only masses more snow but the houses there (Lower Bibbington) had no central heating, no double glazing, no loft insulation, no inside toilet, a tin bath and only cold water.

I think the row, together with Higher Bibbington, was demolished in the late 60’s.

I don’t know if the lorry got through or if the driver continued to wait for your German POW’s to dig him out.

Funny that; the War was 1939-1945 and yet we still held the Germans back until 1947 to work as snow ploughs.

R. S-S

Carrbrook kid  
#8 Posted : 23 December 2010 18:13:45(UTC)
Carrbrook kid

Just on the Dove Holes Scouts, I believe there was a scout group up to around the 1970's, in the early 80's it was started up again by Jim Longson. Seem to remeber Jim mentioning there had been a scout group but fizzled out due to membership/interest

The 80's scout group met in the school near the cricket club. Seem to remember that the cricket club had a wooden hut and it was rebuilt again sometime in the 80's.The hut was old, so may of been around from the war years?

davethescope  
#9 Posted : 23 December 2010 21:45:03(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Did the A6 go through Dove Holes in 1947?
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
G. Jackson  
#10 Posted : 23 December 2010 22:14:24(UTC)
G. Jackson

Someone asked why there were still prisoners of war in England in 1947.

A lot of these were Russian/Germans who, when Germany invaded Russia, joined the winning side either forcably or by volunteering. At the end of the war they realised that they had joined the wrong side and didn't want to be repatriated. Stalin,Roosevelt and Churchill met at Yalta in the Crimea just before the end of the war when it was obvious who was going to win. This was followed by a meeting in Potsdam (Roosevelt had died and Truman now represented the US) and decided that the best thing for everyone would be to send them home. Thousands of them committed suicide rather than go home and the thousands that did go back were subsequently shot.Churchill regretted this decision until his death.

Here endeth the History lesson.

Edited by user 23 December 2010 22:27:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snowy  
#11 Posted : 23 December 2010 23:51:20(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Great pictures Parabuild and R. S-S.

I'm not quite old enough to remember the 46/47 winter, but can remember 62/63. That year the trains couldn't get through, so no school for a few days unfortunately. But I clearly remember that Hockerley Lane (the bit up to the farm) was blocked by a snowdrift roughly 10 ft high that winter.

Best wishes to all in Whaley for Christmas, especially the forum contributors.

Hope the snow clears from the roads soon, but still looks nice on the hills. (We're in a slightly different time zone here, but just measured 30 cm of snow in the garden). 

#12 Posted : 24 December 2010 09:55:20(UTC)

The temperatures now might be record lows but the snow was certainly deeper then!

I have read somewhere that one of the huts was acquired by a scout group and taken to another part of the county.

A bit of googling shows that the prisoners were Italian and that one hut was sold to the Chapel Boys Brigade and was relocated near Town End, Chapel and used by Sam Longson until a few years ago when it was demolished.  I wonder if Buxton's purveyor of ice cream knows anything.

I am currently reading the Gulag Archipelago which is a bit of an eye opener on how we returned prisoners to Stalin who didn't want Russians to hear tales from those who had been contaminated by their experience's of the West.  The book will soon be in Footsteps for those who wish to read this sorry tale.

Cheers

Edited by user 24 December 2010 09:56:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 24 December 2010 11:35:17(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

As far as I am aware there has never been a scout group in Dove Holes. There certainly wasn’t one in the 50’s and 60’s and there wasn’t one to hand a prison of war hut to.

And G Jackson is not only mad he is now completely bonkers.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#14 Posted : 26 December 2010 21:34:17(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Certainly some seemed to be a bit tougher in 1947. I recall my Grandfather telling me how he walked from Buxton to (I think) one of the Sterndales (it may have even been Hollinsclough or Flagg) in the snows of 47 to keep a preaching appointment at the Methodist chapel. Only he and the church steward managed to make it that day.

Edited by user 26 December 2010 21:41:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
CllrJonG  
#15 Posted : 18 February 2011 21:33:22(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

Mr Anonymouse has kindly sent me this picture of The Devonshire Arms (now the Wanted Inn) in Sparrowpit in the winter of 1901.

That was serious snow !

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
wanted inn sparrowpit 1901.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
towpath tommy  
#16 Posted : 19 February 2011 12:06:45(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello CllrJonG.. good to see that you are still around - I saw a post from you which quickly disappeared and then nothing from you for a while - I was beginning to get worried. Hope everything is ok?
Towpath Tommy ( Dave Peart ) thinks a day without laughter is a day wasted
CllrJonG  
#17 Posted : 19 February 2011 19:50:45(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi TT,

Thanks for the thought. I'm afraid I've been very busy with the day job - i.e the one which pays the mortgage and which pushes back the voluntary stuff.  I havn't looked at the forum for a couple of weeks, hence the abscence.Its going to be a bit like that till April when it will calm down for me.

And now back to the topic - Winters past. Any other comments  please start a new topic in the other section of the forum.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com