logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Elmo  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2011 10:42:30(UTC)
Elmo

Groups: Member

I have a newspaper clipping about the resurfacing of Silk Hill that mentions Rough Lee, The Bings.  Does any know which house Rough Lee is (or was)?

Cheers

Elmo.

File Attachment(s):
F_Lyth_Hudson_Rough_Lea.JPG (422kb) downloaded 66 time(s).
G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2011 16:47:45(UTC)
G. Jackson

Could it have been a typing error for ROUGHLY The Bings?

sinope  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2011 15:47:14(UTC)
sinope

Rough Lee is the white bungalow on the left hand side just after Silk Hill Farm. I am interested in the newspaper clipping - what is the date and where is it from?

Elmo  
#4 Posted : 20 February 2011 19:13:01(UTC)
Elmo

sinope wrote:

Rough Lee is the white bungalow on the left hand side just after Silk Hill Farm. I am interested in the newspaper clipping - what is the date and where is it from?

Thank you.  I guess that the number would be 129 (the eastmost bungalow next door but one being number 133.)

I believe that the newspaper cutting was originally collected by Reg G BLACKWELL a councilor who lived on on Western Lane.  When I scanned the cutting it was in a scrap book belonging to a neighbour.  I don't remember there being  a date, but the other cuttings were from the late 1960s and 1970s.  I suspect that they were from the Buxton Advertiser (or other local paper if there was one at that time.)  I took a copy of the cutting because I had once gone out with Frederick Lyth Hudson's granddaughter.

I have been in touch with the current owner of the scrap book and I hope to get a chance to look through it again.  When I do, I'll post some interesting bits here.

Cheers

Elmo.

sinope  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2011 14:13:28(UTC)
sinope

Elmo,

Yes, that's the house. The newspaper clipping is interesting - Silk Hill/Bings Road has never been widened to accommodate pedestrians - a particular problem for anyone who is not too nimble on their feet as the traffic does sometimes hurtle along and there are several blind bends. I think Mr Lyth Hudson would be quite horrified.

Elmo  
#6 Posted : 07 March 2011 08:54:37(UTC)
Elmo

(Sorry for the belated reply)

sinope wrote:

Thank you.  I guess that the number would be 129 (the eastmost bungalow next-door-but-one being number 133.)
I believe that the newspaper cutting was originally collected by Reg G BLACKWELL a councillor who lived on on Western Lane.  When I scanned the cutting it was in a scrap book belonging to a neighbour.  I don't remember there being  a date, but the other cuttings were from the late 1960s and 1970s.  I suspect that they were from the Buxton Advertiser (or other local paper if there was one at that time.)  I took a copy of the cutting because I had once gone out with Frederick Lyth Hudson's granddaughter.
I have been in touch with the current owner of the scrap book and I hope to get a chance to look through it again.  When I do, I'll post some interesting bits here.
Cheers
        Elmo.

Elmo  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2011 15:12:58(UTC)
Elmo

The owner of the scrap book has lent it to me again :-D

Most of the cuttings do not have the date or the details of which paper they cam from.  The cutting that mentions Frederick Lyth Hudson and Rough Lee is on the same page as others from 1965.  There are some other cuttings from 1965 that are from the "Advertiser & High Peak News".  Cuttings from "Buxton Advertiser" and "The Reporter" are also included.  A story (Protest against tipping at Crist Quarry) from 1965 is covered by two different papers, one the "Advertiser & High Peak News", but the other doesn't say.

There are a number of additional cuttings about Silk Hill, complaining about the cobbles and the complaining about the additional vehicles using it after it was tarmacced.

I'll scan some more of the clippings when I can extricate the scanner.

Cheers
        Elmo.