logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RockBanker  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2011 22:01:40(UTC)
RockBanker

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Whilst perusing the catalogue of Jodrell family papers now at the John Rylands Library in Manchester  (   http:///66ne54u ) for inspiration for the next chapter of the "Shallcross Code"  I noticed the intriguing "An account of finding the gold at Yeardsley by John Bennet  JOD/51  1627" .  Can anyone lend me a panning dish?

Edited by user 11 February 2011 22:13:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 12 February 2011 09:17:49(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good Morning, RockBanker,

I am very pleased to hear of your research at Manchester which concerns the famous Whaley Bridge family ‘The Jodrells’.

As you most certainly know the Jodrells were an extremely wealthy family and great landowners.

Some Jodrells can trace their name back to the times of The Black Prince.

However, not all the Jodrells in more recent times were so wealthy you might like to open the thread on Doctor Allan’s Casebook on here a bit later today which concerns the desperate plight of the Jodrells off Old Road, Horwich End.

And by desperate plight I don’t mean they had to move their cars which were illegally parked.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2011 09:35:01(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Some Jodrells can trace their name back to the times of The Black Prince.

Indeed, the archive includes "Pass from Edward, the Black Prince, to William Jodrell, one of his archers to go to England  JOD/2  1355"

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
umtali  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2011 09:43:32(UTC)

Groups: Guest

RockBanker wrote:

Whilst perusing the catalogue of Jodrell family papers now at the John Rylands Library in Manchester  (   http:///66ne54u ) for inspiration for the next chapter of the "Shallcross Code"  I noticed the intriguing "An account of finding the gold at Yeardsley by John Bennet  JOD/51  1627" .  Can anyone lend me a panning dish?

For several years in the 1970’s I resided in a bungalow facing the side of Yeardsley Hall probably about 40 yards distance away.

Whilst digging out a corner of the front garden one afternoon to build a rockery we unearthed what appeared to be an area containing lots of black ash. Amongst which we found three large horseshoes.

Eventually as many items do they lay in the garage amongst garden tools, in 1983 we moved to Zimbabwe, the removal company packed all the contents of the garage including the horseshoes also a toboggan.

The kids and a few adults played a game on our lawn in Harare throwing the horseshoes to get nearest to a stick, an Americanism I think.

I have no doubt the indestructible horseshoes are still in Zimbabwe, the toboggan who knows. (Never found gold).
Green_Gentleman  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2011 16:26:14(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

You may be interested in this *definitely one to print off.* It talks about the geology of the Derbyshire rocks, aswell as Coal, Mineral, Ore seams in & around Whaley Bridge with some surprising rocks that were once mined here. We do sit above a active faultine afterall, one of the branches from the Cheshire fault.

Ours crosses from the Roaches along the Goyt, past Whaley and past New Mills where it continues to Stockport. Infact New Mills you can evidentially see it at the Torrs where one side of the fault has slipped under the other, hence to your left is sheer cliffs and the right is a relative gentle slope. The same fault *WILL* rupture again sometime in the future, along some point of its course.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50711

Also just found this about Glaciation in & around the Whaley Bridge/Derbyshire area during the last Ice Age, which would have carried mineral deposits from the "whin sill" rocks in Northumbria.

http://www.rhj.uwclub.net/MellorLandscape.htm

Edited by user 14 February 2011 16:37:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified