logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Norm  
#21 Posted : 14 May 2011 17:42:06(UTC)
Norm

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Photo from post #20

Norm attached the following image(s):
fields.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#22 Posted : 15 May 2011 11:32:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good morning to you, Shallcross,

Well I have to agree with you that whatever Mrs Ramsden-Jodrell had to say that afternoon it didn’t look at all interesting.
I imagine the good Colonel dispensed with the services of her speech writer immediately after the event.

The date on the bottom of your photo is 11th September, 1920 or 9/11 in today’s terms.

At the meeting of the Park Committee a month earlier (in fact 19.08.1920) the following items were discussed by those present:

The Committee:  
Messrs G.W. Little (in the chair), S. Bennett, Mr. Muirhead, A. Keens, T. Marshall, F. Moore, J. Williamson,   J.H. Greenhalgh, Col. Hall, Rev. T. Pasley and Miss Simpson.

1/. A letter was read from Mr A. Dean accepting office as Secretary to the Gala and Fete to be held
on Sep 11th, and expressing his willingness to do what he could to make the Gala a success.   

2/.   Proposed by Mr Greenhalgh and seconded by Miss Simpson that Mrs Ramsden-Jodrell be invited to open the Recreation Ground on Sept 11th and that W. Little write to that effect.

So even though your photo states that Mrs. R-J was opening the playing fields it was in fact the Recreation Ground or Memorial Park. It was certainly nothing to do with football anyway.

There was one other item of note and concern during that meeting and it was raised by Mr Bennett:
This concerned the bad behaviour of local boys and complaints had been made to Mr. Muirhead.
Apparently these naughty boys, whilst bathing had caused some offence to those of a delicate nature and a suggestion was made that a shed might be made available for the purposes of dressing by the river side. Immediately Mr. Little offered to provide one.
Miss Simpson asked that provision should be made for Girls to bathe and the matter was left in the hands of the Works Committee.
Rather strangely there was no mention of a shed for the girls.

Even though it was the opening of the Memorial Park (I’m getting confused myself now) the Reporter Newspaper headlined it thus:

whaley war memorial

Mrs Ramsden-Jodrell Opens the Weir Playing Fields.

Hope this sets the record straight.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#23 Posted : 15 May 2011 19:18:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

If anyone is interested here is the speech by Mrs. R-J:

Mrs Ramsden Jodrell C.B.E., who was well-received, said:

“It is a very great pleasure to come amongst you this afternoon, and to have been asked to open the ground.    During a long and happy acquaintance with Whaley Bridge I have always thought it should have a playing ground as one of the items which will help in the social development of the town. I am very pleased that such an opportunity of conferring that upon Whaley Bridge has fallen to me, particularly as the recreation ground is dedicated to the memory of those who had made the supreme sacrifice for King and country.    We all hope such appreciation will help to continue the memory of those who died in the cause of liberty for many years to come, for in these days of rapid change even such great sacrifices are apt to be forgotten.  
 We could, I think, have no better way of immortalising their memory, and it will be further assured by the erection of the memorial in the park. We are fortunate to have a fine day after so many days of rain and storm. It augurs well for the success of the institution, which will provide a pleasant resort for all after their work and a happy playing ground for the children.   
I now have great pleasure in handing over the ground to the trustees of the war memorial committee and Whaley Bridge public, and in declaring the ground open”.   

Well not that great, I agree, but it puts to shame some of the illiterate stuff that I read on here.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#24 Posted : 08 April 2012 13:11:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

So just before the two big games this afternoon here is a photo of a local boys team in 1950.

Not United or City but I think that apart from two on this photo the rest are all alive and kicking and I know for certain that at least a couple of them will be watching this afternoon’s action.

I can put names to all the footballers but does anyone want to have a guess first?
Most certainly our dear friend George knows some of them. Gnatalee will know a couple and the noble Lady Madonna will have had contact with one at least

R. S-S

Edited by user 11 April 2012 14:15:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#25 Posted : 08 April 2012 18:32:08(UTC)
Gnatalee

Well R.S-S, you've set me a problem !!

I suspect the person you think I know may be second from right on front row. However, if I should know a couple of them, I am not sure who they are.

It's a great photograph. Is the young man on the right of the back row the reserve?

I love such photos - keep them coming as it is what makes this forum "tick" !!

Gnats
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#26 Posted : 09 April 2012 07:41:40(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Excellent first shout Gnats.

Three people on the photo have been discussed at length on this forum.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#27 Posted : 09 April 2012 11:13:11(UTC)
Gnatalee

Now R.S-S

My guess at second from right on front row is Bernard Jones. I now suspect that perhaps at least two forum posters are also on this photo.

I seem to recall that there was a photograph posted of children playing in shallow water (the Goyt or Toddbrook) and that the person who posted that photo is also a member of this football team.

Are you on it?

Gnats

Edited by user 09 April 2012 11:14:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#28 Posted : 09 April 2012 18:59:11(UTC)
george

Hi RSS

Was this taken at Whaley school?

Were all the players attending Whaley school?

Was the teacher Mr. Wild?

I do recognise some.

I don't recognise you on it.

george

This brings back memories

Gnatalee  
#29 Posted : 09 April 2012 19:48:21(UTC)
Gnatalee

Well folks

I have now been told that the person I thought was Bernard Jones, second right front row, is NOT him.

I now don't know who it is that I should know, so its over to you R.S-S - spill the beans !! 

Gnats

Edited by user 09 April 2012 19:49:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#30 Posted : 10 April 2012 12:37:17(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello George,

I am not sure if this was at Whaley School or Horwich End but you are certainly correct with your identification of Jimmy Wild the adult.

Gnats,

I think the photo is a bit older than his time and, to be honest, what I remember of Bernard he was no Lionel Messi and I doubt if he would even have made an appearance in this second eleven.

R. S-S
Norm  
#31 Posted : 10 April 2012 13:00:52(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

R. S-S, George, Gnats and all.

I do like this thread. I like the idea that Gnats thought R.S-S might be on it, R.S-S play football?

Anyway back to the thread. When we know who everyone is, because obviously I haven't a clue, I was thinking of putting a small page on the website with all the teams we know about. This one, the buggy team (complete with crossbar ) and any others.

Norm

Norm attached the following image(s):
6910404778_37937f2dc1_z.jpg
george  
#32 Posted : 10 April 2012 18:46:54(UTC)
george

Hi RSS

It is a puzzling photo, my guess is as follows,

back row ---- ---- Walter Higginbottom ---- Teddy Barker, Bill Bradley

front row ---- Tony Goodwin ---Peter Jodrell, Derek Fife. All these were at Whaley school in 1950.

Our friend Peter very much missed.

I wonder if some were at Horwich End school who I don't recognise

or am I going to kick myself went all is revealed.

Does anyone know what happened to Derek Fife who went to Australia?

I think I was in 35th blow football team!

An interesting photo.

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#33 Posted : 11 April 2012 14:07:24(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi George,

You have now identified Jimmy Wild as the manager and on the front row from left to right numbers 4 and 5 are indeed Peter Jodrell and Derek Fyfe.

So you are doing really well up to now.

A bit of a clue: the first 2 on the top row were both involved in the haulage business in later life.

R. S-S
george  
#34 Posted : 12 April 2012 10:54:01(UTC)
george

Back again RSS,

Yes those clues helped, Bobby Brookes and Barry Crompton of course.                This is like drawing teeth!

George

Gnatalee  
#35 Posted : 12 April 2012 12:49:19(UTC)
Gnatalee

R.S-S

How strange that I thought I knew the lad 2nd from right, front row only to find it was Peter Jodrell, who I've never met. He reminded me of Bernard so he must've taken after the Jones side!

Gnats
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#36 Posted : 12 April 2012 13:29:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well done once again, George,

The boy next to Barry Crompton grew up and married a police woman; he now lives in Harpur Hill’ His initials are CH.

I think the boy in the coat, the bucket and sponge man may have worked at the Co-op he was very amusing; his initials are AW.

The big lad in the centre of the front row had a father who worked at the Waterloo Pit and he himself became a coalman.

Now if you get those three I will start to believe you are Sherlock Holmes.

R. S-S
george  
#37 Posted : 13 April 2012 18:53:51(UTC)
george

Here again RSS,

The boy next to Barry might have been Clive Hokenhall, I didn't know him so well.

The boy in the coat is Arnie White, I thought it looked very much like him but looked too young. He also worked at the Co-op as a van driver. Does he now live in Wales?

In the middle front it is Alan Dranfield. I couldn't decided  if it was Alan or Rodney Moss.

george

parabuild  
#38 Posted : 17 April 2012 17:06:46(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Frances Footitt suggests that the boy at the left hand end of the front row is Brian Bennett

george  
#39 Posted : 17 April 2012 17:24:05(UTC)
george

Hi Parabuild

He does look like Brian Bennet, say hello to Francis for me.

george

parabuild  
#40 Posted : 17 April 2012 18:41:00(UTC)
parabuild

Man

george wrote:

Hi Parabuild

He does look like Brian Bennet, say hello to Francis for me.

george

I certainly will George