logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2011 14:30:54(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Hello all

I have been trawling through more old photos over the last month or so and have come up with this one.  I think it could have been taken around 1926-27'ish because my Dad always said that he was the little boy behind the goal - apparently he cried because they wouldn't let him be on the photo !!   Hope someone can recognise some of the team members.

Gnats

Edited by user 16 February 2011 14:34:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Football Team Whaley 1926.JPG (457kb) downloaded 81 time(s).
Norm  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2011 19:40:34(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi Gnats

When (If) we get more info I will add this to the album. Love the kid with the Cup, he is sooooo impressed.

Norm

Norm  
#3 Posted : 16 February 2011 23:09:42(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

Thought I would add it so peeps can have a look without the download.

Norm attached the following image(s):
team.jpg
Norm  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2011 11:08:47(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

You know I am guilty of not looking at the Whaley Site, the "proper" site, I only have this forum in my favourites (and some others of course).

At the moment this article is there http://www.whaleybridge.com/2011/01/tributes-to-whaley-bridges-secret-football-star/

Worth a look, maybe it should be preserved.

Norm

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2011 16:51:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I am still very unsure of me email use.

Did you get my email about the origins of Whaley football?

R. S-S
Norm  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2011 16:54:20(UTC)
Norm

Man

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

I am still very unsure of me email use.

Did you get my email about the origins of Whaley football?

R. S-S

Who did you send it to??

Norm

G. Jackson  
#7 Posted : 15 March 2011 14:45:14(UTC)
G. Jackson

Hi Gnatalee sorry it's taken so long to reply to your photo question,

The team is I believe Horwich End more than Whaley Bridge.

left to right back row

Len Oldham from Whaley Bridge

Joe Evans from Buxton

Jerry Dawson from New Mills

Roy Taylor (captain and centre half) from New Mills

unknown

L Shaw from Mellor

J Rowley from Bugsworth

Front row left to right

C Bramwell from Buxton

Arthur Jackson from Kettleshulme (George may remember him as he had shoe shop before George)

Jack Winterbottom from Bugsworth

Len Warburton from Poynton

Team

Dawson

Evans                                                   Oldham

Rowley                               Taylor                                  Shaw

Bramwell                           Winterbottom                                         ????????????????

Jackson                                       Warburton  

Horwich End won the Reporter Cup in 1933, 1934,1936,1938 and 1939.

Sorry I don't know about either child.                         

Edited by user 15 March 2011 14:50:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 15 March 2011 15:14:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Very well researched indeed if I may say so Mr. Jackson,

You may now return to the source of your information or, of course, your own recollections and put names to the footballers depicted below.
I have another photo, even older, and if you can name the 1907 Printworks team and then the even older photo I think it will be necessary to open a Burton’s shop in the village as I fear I shall be in the shop window minus some of my clothing.

Good luck.

R. S-S

G. Jackson  
#9 Posted : 15 March 2011 15:49:59(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dearest R. S-S. How old do you think I am? Keep your shorts and woggle on.

Norm  
#10 Posted : 15 March 2011 17:52:43(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi Gnats, Robert and Glenda

I have put these two teams in the dungeon, sorry album.

If you have info I can put on them or correct please let me know.

Norm

Lady Madonna  
#11 Posted : 16 March 2011 02:31:44(UTC)
Lady Madonna

It was almost like Chelsea's football team today, was anyone actually from Horwich End!
Gnatalee  
#12 Posted : 16 March 2011 18:14:13(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi G.Jackson

Many thanks for your listing of the players in the photo which I posted - Jack Winterbottom from Bugsworth was my Grandad, and having spoken to my Mum's cousin recently I have found out that he and his brothers (Bill and Fred) were all involved in local football.  This just shows that if you, or younger members of  your family, are interested in looking at your family history - now is the time to start asking questions of your relatives, whilst they are still able to relate their memories to you !

The best thing for me, in the photo which I posted, is that Jack had a full head of hair !! I only ever remember him as being very short of "thatch" on his head - I seem to remember my brother asking him if he had had a "short back and polish" - how cruel was that? (I have to add that, as children, my brother and I only ever referred to my Grandad and Grandma as "Win and Jack" ! It may seem bizarre but that's just who they were to us - Win and Jack. 

R.S-S - I am very disappointed in your football photograph - our Rodney Trotter "look-alike" isn't involved ! That said, what a lovely clear photograph - I sincerely hope that perhaps someone will recognise a member of their family. It's a very clear photo - I would love to know who all the people are. I think I shall be trying to compare some of the people with other photos on this site to see if there is some similarity.

I look forward to seeing what else our friends on this forum come up with.

Gnats

Edited by user 16 March 2011 18:20:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Boninsegna  
#13 Posted : 29 March 2011 22:16:20(UTC)
Boninsegna

Don't know if any of you have perused www.whaleybridgefc.co.uk but there is a gallery of photos of Whaley teams through the ages and presumably some of the above would fit in there nicely if you don't mind me lifting them from here?

Oh I forgot to mention that I maintain that historic chain of Whaley teams on that web site and have included Horwich End as the 'Whaley' team of that period.

Any information re Whaley's past masters and the history surrounding that era would be most welcome......

Lady Madonna  
#14 Posted : 30 March 2011 00:52:10(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Looking back at Whaley & Bugsworth football teams, I wondered if any one remembered the hot cups of Bovril provided by Beryl at Bugsworth & Jean Willott at Whaley Bridge, I'm sure that husband John was a linesman for many matches also. It was lovely on a cold winters day.
umtali  
#15 Posted : 30 March 2011 08:17:42(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Boninsegna wrote:

Don't know if any of you have perused www.whaleybridgefc.co.uk but there is a gallery of photos of Whaley teams through the ages and presumably some of the above would fit in there nicely if you don't mind me lifting them from here?

Oh I forgot to mention that I maintain that historic chain of Whaley teams on that web site and have included Horwich End as the 'Whaley' team of that period.

Any information re Whaley's past masters and the history surrounding that era would be most welcome......

Mr Boninsegna

There are many more football pictures scattered throughout the forum, not just in this string, My particular favourite is the one below, your collection will not be complete without it. Be sure to click on the  #76 to view it.

#76 Posted : Monday, April 12, 2010

umtali
george  
#16 Posted : 30 March 2011 16:50:28(UTC)
george

Come on now G Jackson put your thinking cap on, Arthur Jackson was a shoe repairer at the co-op in W.B. and on his own at kettleshulme, now, have you remembered? Mac. and Annie Leighton had the old shoe shop in Market St. Try and keep off the hard stuff while you are on the forum.

Best wishes, George 

G. Jackson  
#17 Posted : 30 March 2011 18:43:13(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear George, How correct you are, just wait until you and the other youngsters on this forum reach my age, you will forget things too.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#18 Posted : 05 April 2011 17:49:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Boninsegna wrote:

Hello and welcome to this forum Mr. Boninsegna,

I do not know who you are but could probably easily find out; we most probably know each other.

Any photos that I have placed on this forum you are most welcome to copy; as far as I am concerned that is why they are there.

With regards to the history of WB Football Club: I do have some information which goes back further than anything on the Club’s own web site.

However, although I believe it to be absolutely true, I do not know the author or the source of the information. It has remained a mystery to me for some years and that is the reason I have not put any of it on this forum.
Perhaps you could advise me of the way in which you came in possession of the pitch or as much as you know anyway and then I will be able to decide if I can publish the document that I have.

I might send it to one of the Administrators, Cllr Jon the Whaley One, for advice.

If it is true, which I think it is, it should be within the public domain.

Let me know your thoughts, firstly on this forum and then maybe later by email.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 14 May 2011 12:44:40(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Don’t mention it (well he didn’t).

Why do people come on and ask for information and then when someone tries to help they are completely ignored?

R. S-S

shallcross  
#20 Posted : 14 May 2011 14:12:43(UTC)
shallcross

RSS I wont ignore you

I was never sure despite the title on the bottom if this card if this is the opening of the actual Playing fields or the Memorial Park maybe with the information you hold you can pinpoint the event This is Mrs Ramsden Jodrell and a pretty bored looking group of dignitories.

Edited by user 14 May 2011 14:13:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Picture1.jpg (397kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
Shallcross