logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
buggyite  
#1 Posted : 27 February 2011 12:59:15(UTC)
buggyite

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Below is a photo of a pair of quite imposing stone gateposts on Station Road/Brierley Green in Bugsworth.

Not particularly interesting you might think, but the track between them only goes up to the trackbed of the old slow lines, so the mystery is why does a track to nowhere have such impressive gate posts?

I'll offer a pint of Storm Brewery PGA in Buggie Club to whoever comes up with the right answer (this excludes anybody that I've already given the answer to )

buggyite attached the following image(s):
IMG_1053.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 27 February 2011 13:33:35(UTC)
G. Jackson

Anything to do with where the road went to before the tracks were moved from the other side of the station house. (PS I don't drink so I cannot claim the prize unless they serve coffee at the club)

Edited by user 27 February 2011 13:35:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

buggyite  
#3 Posted : 28 February 2011 18:10:02(UTC)
buggyite

Man

G.Jackson,

I agree with you here - originally the entrance to the railway station would have been through those gates - the tracks being on the far side of the station buildings until the flood that washed away the original viaduct.

The club does indeed sell a pleasant range of coffees for the teetotaller like yourself, to which may be added all sorts of spirits for old soaks like myself.  Cointreau, Tia Maria and Vodka in hot chocolate,  to name but one "interesting" mixture that tastes just like Terry's Chocolate Orange.

And as its you, we'll provide some pony nuts for your not-quite-four-legged steed.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Horwich Ender  
#4 Posted : 03 March 2011 17:17:11(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Jacko is at it again.

After previously saying Robinson's Best Bitter is “one of the best tastes in beer that you will ever get,” he's now stating he doesn't drink.

Forum members, please, please, please don't take anything Mad Jacko says seriously.

Norm  
#5 Posted : 03 March 2011 17:43:04(UTC)
Norm

Man

Glenda doesn't drink.

Norm

Whaley Ash  
#6 Posted : 13 March 2011 09:34:32(UTC)
Whaley Ash

Man

The original railway formation was subject to a major landslip, so Buggy station is famously inside out, i.e., the main entrance (roughly facing south) is actually where the original tracks once were. The railway formation has therefore been subjected to major alteration here, first to place the railway uphill on the opposite side of the station, then to quadruple it. My guess is that the gateposts are from the original entrance - probably now under the railway, but have been re-used for something like a goods yard road.
tarboat  
#7 Posted : 13 March 2011 16:20:45(UTC)
tarboat

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

As far as I can tell this was the access to the eastbound platform of Bugsworth station after the realignment of the tracks and before the quardrupling. When the line was quadrupled no platforms were provided on the extra two lines and these came between this entrance and the eastbound platform. This entrance was thus rendered useless for serving the platform for which a new access was then constructed to emerge between the two bridges.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 05 April 2011 18:22:46(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello, Buggyite,

I have read with interest the theories surrounding the mystery of the gate posts and have kept out of the debate. All have been completely wrong and I shall now tell the true tale as to exactly why they and the path were abandoned all those years ago:

The Gates were actually an entrance to St James’ church in Bugsworth and were used on a regular basis for mourners coming from the Chinley direction so as to avoid the downhill and then the uphill struggle whilst bearing the coffin. It was constructed as a short cut if you like and paid for by the local board.

That is until one day a long time ago!

A local Buggy man, we shall call him George for the purpose of this story as he still has relatives in the village, was found dead in his back yard, and as the weather was a bit on the warm side, the wake was reduced to only two days, so his mortal remains wouldn't take a bad turn.
At last his friends laid him in the box, nailed it shut and started off towards the churchyard. As it was a long way from George’s house and the mourners were tired and a bit tipsy, one fellow lurched into the gatepost as they entered the entrance to the graveyard. Suddenly a loud knocking came from in the coffin.
George was alive!
They opened the box up and he sat up, wide eyed, and they all said, “It's a miracle of God! And right here in Buggy. George you are back among us”
They all rejoiced and they went back and had a few more drinks at George’s house but later that day, poor George died; again.
But this time he really died. He was stone cold dead.
They quickly bundled him back into his box, and as they huffed and puffed back down the road the next morning, once more exhausted, they came to the track and the gate posts.
The vicar paused the entourage and quietly said, "Careful now, boys; mind we don't bump the gatepost again".

And from that day the track has been sealed off and the splendid gateposts have become something of a mystery. Until now, of course

Sorry to disappoint all who have made incorrect guesses.

R. S-S
moogie  
#9 Posted : 11 April 2011 15:21:50(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

MR RSS.....

is this true?....or are you ppulling some legs here?....

As you prob know you can follow the line of the entance all the way ddown to the dolly coal mine area...also wouldnt the back of the church yard actally been the roof of the old train tunnel at that time?....

on the same are does anyone know whats going on at the station building...the sign is up saying its part of the 'burnage campus'......??....

NevClarke  
#10 Posted : 11 April 2011 15:38:16(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

The Station House belongs to Burnage Media Arts College and has been in the their ownership since the 70s.  Some extensive tree work over the past few months has brought it back into view.  It is an outdoor pursuits centre, otherwise known as Buxworth Base.  Been out of regular use for a while now however is having some improvements made to the interior so that it can be fully utilised once more so that South Manchester kids can be shown the wonders of the Peak. 

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
moogie  
#11 Posted : 11 April 2011 22:20:51(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
Many thanks for the info Nev...had seen the sign on the floor last summer while i was looking at the station building, and wondered what it was all about....then lots of activity in recent months. Great such a lovely building is being kept in use, and in such positive way!...altho the embankment could do with further work as seems to be lots of rubbish and bottles uncovered after the tree felling.....