logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dodger GS  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2011 20:33:32(UTC)
Dodger GS

Groups: Member

Hello there

Can anyone please answer me the following ?

1. When did Furness Vale transfer from Cheshire to Derbyshire ?

2. When did Whaley Bridge transfer from Cheshire to Derbyshire ?

3. Was Whaley divided by the county boundary before it was fully incorporated into Derbyshire ? 

parabuild  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2011 21:09:59(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Furness Vale and Whaley Bridge became administered by Derbyshire on 1st April 1934.  The county boundary had previously followed the River Goyt.

Prior to these changes Whaley Bridge was governed by two county councils, one urban district council, two rural district councils, three parish councils and two boards of guardians.  There were two licensing authorities and permitted hours were different on opposite sides of the river and pubs opened and closed at varying times, especially on Sunday.  . In Whaley Bridge there were three ecclesiastical parishes  divided between Canterbury and York;  between two dioceses, two archdeaconries and two rural deaneries.  These political divisions resulted of course in duplication of many official posts. All in all it was a farcical situation.

Dodger GS  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2011 10:47:08(UTC)
Dodger GS

Thanks for that, David.

My grandfather - Jack 'Dodger' Ford - came from Old Road in Whaley and always referred to it as Derbyshire. The reason I'm asking is that I'm doing family tree research. Jack's side of the river was - as far as I know -administered from Chapel, whilst the other side of the Goyt was - again, as far as I know - administered from Macclesfield.

I understand that New Mills - where I grew up - was in a similar situation.
parabuild  
#4 Posted : 20 March 2011 14:43:10(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Dodger.

Are you by any chance related to Dolly Ford of Furness Vale ?   Her late husband was also known as Jack (Dodger) Ford.   Do you know the origin of the nickname "Dodger" ?

Dodger GS  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2011 19:39:05(UTC)
Dodger GS

Hello David

Dolly is my Grandmother ! 

As for the origins of the nickname, I'm not sure. Possibly a play on the names of the American motor companies - Dodge and Ford. I remember there being a 'Dodge' plate in  Jack's cellar. I'll be seeing Dolly very soon and will hopefully haver some clarification for you.

parabuild  
#6 Posted : 20 March 2011 21:13:03(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Dodger

Thanks for your reply.  I assume you have seen the booklet produced by Furness Vale Local History Society which is Dolly's story of her life in the village up to her marriage.   The text of the story has been posted to the Furness Society blog furnesshistory.blogspot.com.   I you haven't yet seen the book, let me know and I will make sure that Dolly has a copy for you.

parabuild  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2011 17:27:16(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A CORRECTION

The boundary changes did not take place in 1934 as I stated but on 1st April 19361936.  There were various other adjustments to Cheshire at that time including part of Newtown.  Ludworth and Mellor  were transferred from Derbyshire tyo Cheshire at the same time.

parabuild  
#8 Posted : 22 March 2011 17:28:39(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A CORRECTION

The boundary changes did not take place in 1934 as I stated but on 1st April 1936.  There were various other adjustments to Cheshire at that time including part of Newtown being placed in Derbyshire.  Ludworth and Mellor  were transferred from Derbyshire to Cheshire.

Edited by user 22 March 2011 17:29:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified