logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2011 22:26:59(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

In 1905 William White appeared in court at Chapel-en-le-Frith, facing a charge of arson.  He had set fire to a haystack at Long Hill Farm.  He told Sergeant White that he had thought of going to Buxton to do a spot of housebreaking but had decided to set a haystack on fire instead.  He gave himself up to police at Buxton because he wanted to go to prison for 5 years !  The prisoner was remanded in custody; perhaps his wish came true.

parabuild  
#2 Posted : 20 March 2011 21:36:43(UTC)
parabuild

Man

May 1908 saw the appearance of an Italian named Soberti Diego before Stockport Police Court.  He was charged with being on enclosed premises for unlawful purposes and with assaulting a police officer in Whaley Bridge on April 27th.  Diego had been seen climbing from a waggon up into the rafters of the goods warehouse at the station. The prisoner had refused to descend and when the police constable arrived  he jumped onto a van and threw a stone at the officer and hit him in the chest.  Diego jumped over the waggons and  tried to escape but the pursuing policeman fell over him and a desperate struggle ensued.  The prisoner had a razor with which he attacked the officer, cutting his hand.  It was only when support arrived that the Italian was overpowered.  Speaking through an interpreter, Diego explained that he had arrived in England seven months previously and finding himself in Whaley Bridge without food or money, decided to head to London.  He thought he would be safe hiding in the rafters until a train should arrive.  He had only used the razor to prevent the police officer from choking him.   Soberti Diego was sentenced to 28 days in prison and advised to leave the country as soon as he was released.

parabuild  
#3 Posted : 21 March 2011 19:17:07(UTC)
parabuild

Man

September 1928 and Frank Johnson was fined 10 shillings for cycling furiously. He cut in and caused a car at Horwich End to brake sharply.  He told the court that he was trying to break a record time for a return journey from Manchester to Sheffield.

In 1939 Charles ------ of Whaley Bridge was fined 5 shillings at Chapel-en-le-Frith for cruelty to a goldfish !   .  He admitted going on holiday for a week and forgetting about his pet. For the  R S P C A, Inspector Hindle said that he saw the fish lying at the bottom of a bowl of stagnant water.  He forced a window and entered the house to feed the fish and give it fresh water.  The court confiscated the fish. 

Curious  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2011 20:51:09(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi Parabuild

Thanks for these snippets.  I really enjoying them and look forward to reading any more you find.

Mrs C

parabuild  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2011 22:27:34(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Well Mrs C,  how about setting fire to the traffic lights.   That's  what three young Whaley men did in 1966, "just for a laugh".    The judge didn't see the funny side of it and sentenced one to 18 months in prison, the other two being fined £100 each.  They had poured paraffin into the control box of the lights and set it on fire.

parabuild  
#6 Posted : 21 March 2011 22:57:37(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I'll take a step back in time to October 1861.  At the door of Knutsford Jail, Joseph Hales was arrested on release from his last imprisonment.  He was committed for trial at the petty sessions for stealing 2 cwt of bones, the property of John Newton of Whaley Bridge. Now who would be in the market for a bag of stolen bones I wonder ?

parabuild  
#7 Posted : 21 March 2011 23:27:24(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Between four and five in the morning of 16th June 1847, Mr Frost searching some outbuildings found five youths hiding in the hay and sent them away

George Goodwin was the Whaley Bridge toll keeper  and on leaving his house to fetch water, latched the door.  On returning he saw four boys near his house and another, Wayville coming out of the door.  He asked him what he was doing and searching him found nothing.  Entering the house, he found that his desk had been broken open and 8s 6d was missing. 

George Warren was quite deaf and resting at the roadside perhaps did not hear the approach of his robbers.  It was breakfast time and he had oat cakes and cheese wrapped in a handkerchief.  The rascals stole his breakfast.  The young men were quickly apprehended by  Constable Jackson of Whaley Bridge and still had the food in their possession as well as thirteen shillings and six pence. .   The jury found three of the five prisoners, not guilty but the judge passed sentence on Leech and Wayville of six and nine months respectively and ordered that they be privately whipped.

Lady Madonna  
#8 Posted : 22 March 2011 01:23:03(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi Parabuild,
I don't remember the 'Traffic Light' Incident & I was 10 at the time and walked that way to school! I shall have to ask my mother what she remembers. I would also like to add my thanks to those of Mrs C, between you and R.S.S on the Dr.Allen thread there is plenty of interesting stories to keep me from my bedtime book!
Thanks Lady M.
george  
#9 Posted : 22 March 2011 10:40:51(UTC)
george

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Thanks for your postings David, interesting stuff keep up the your good work.

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 22 March 2011 16:27:32(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

The traffic light incident did, as David Says, take place in 1966 during the World Cup in England.

In historical times that is relatively modern. Most of the people involved are still around today and have families. One is no longer with us.

I do not think if anyone has any information that goes any further about this incident or the people involved or what happened subsequently they should add it to this thread.

There are good, innocent people I know who read this forum who would be most upset if any further details did come out.

If anyone wants to know on a casual, private basis they can email me directly but must not add to the thread.

Jon has my email address.

R. S-S
parabuild  
#11 Posted : 22 March 2011 17:39:04(UTC)
parabuild

Man

R.S-S is quite correct in insisting that names should not be revealed when commenting on crime or other stories where embarassment might be caused.  I have only given names in the older crime stories or where people from outside of this locality were involved.  I shall of course continue to follow this rule.

parabuild  
#12 Posted : 22 March 2011 17:54:34(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A Whaley Bridge butcher was in the habit of delivering meat to Buxton by train but in order to reduce his costs, resorted to rather unusual methods which in 1932 put him on the wrong side of the law.  A railway detective was travelling on a train and on it's arrival at Whaley Bridge was approached by the butcher who asked if he was going to Buxton.   A large piece of meat was placed on the seat opposite with the request that it be delivered to the bookstall at Buxton.  On proferring threepence, the butcher said "it's all right, I often send it like this".   On arrival at the destination, a bookstall assistant came to collect the meat which was soon picked up by a local butcher.

On hearing the case, under the old English Common Law offence of cheating and deceiving, Stockport Magistrates were told that the defendent had been sending parcels in this manner for somne time.   The magistrates agreed with the defence that there had been no intention to defraud.  It was suggested that the practice must occur daily throughout the Kingdom.  Although the practice was improper and irregular, it was not illegal and the case was dismissed.

parabuild  
#13 Posted : 23 March 2011 21:17:05(UTC)
parabuild

Man

"A True Heroine","Extraordinary Courage",  so reported all of the national and regional press in 1862.

On the night of 12th November Mrs Norman was roused from her sleep by noises coming from the ground floor of her home in Horwich End.

It was 3 o'clock in the morning and Mrs Norman was awake, feeding her baby; her husband slept soundly. There was the sound of breaking glass from the room below. She did not wake Mr Norman as he was ill.   She hurriedly put on a few clothes and taking up a revolver from the table, went downstairs. Entering the sitting room, she saw a man standing near the window and looking towards the door.  In one hand he held a candle and in the other, a jemmy. She tried to fire the gun but at the first attempt the cap failed so she immediately fired the second barrel. The gun was loaded with ball.  The man clapped his hand to his shoulder and in pain called out "Oh God - Bill - Dick !".  The window was still open and as he started to climb out  an accomplice grabbed him by the collar and hauled him out.

By bright moonlight Mrs Norman could see that the second man was taller, with a dark blue, flowered handerchief over his face.  The wounded man had worn a red, checked handkerchief over his face with eye holes cut into it. He wore a dark velveteen coat, the pockets of which contained something bulky. He wore long blue stockings with white tops and these covered his knees. He was rather stout. A third
accomplice was  a lad of about 17 or 18.   By the amount of blood, it was at first thought by the police that the wound to the burglar might be fatal.

The shutters outside the window had been forced and the window itself prised open with the iron bar.  Some fabric and newspapers had been left on the windowsill by Mrs Norman before retiring and these were later found in the lane outside. A locked cupboard in the sitting room had been forced open and bore the marks of the iron bar.

As we shall see in the next posting, the three villains were soon apprehended and brought to court.

Norm  
#14 Posted : 23 March 2011 21:25:25(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

On Page 3 of the Newspaper cuttings they thought the burglar might be fatally wounded. Wait for the next episode.

Now there are two things I know about guns etc, nowt and not a lot. I have shot .22 but that's it. A revolver with what seems to be 2 barrels, with ball. I always thought a revolver has something small, but this sounds like a shot gun. As I say no expert.

Norm

parabuild  
#15 Posted : 23 March 2011 21:44:39(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I know less that you Norm about guns.  Although the news reports refer to barrels, maybe they meant chambers, or perhaps journalists were as inaccurate then as now.

Neil A Shaw  
#16 Posted : 23 March 2011 21:47:12(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I wonder how a similar incident would be viewed in 2011.

Mrs Norman would probably be jailed

RockBanker  
#17 Posted : 23 March 2011 22:03:52(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Could have been a "Pepperbox" pistol. This was a type of multi-barrelled revolver popular in the early to mid C19th ( http://www.spiral.org.uk/acatalog/info_1071L.html for example )

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
G. Jackson  
#18 Posted : 23 March 2011 22:48:26(UTC)
G. Jackson

I would have thought the word revolver was mis-used in this case. I would have thought it was a twin barrelled pistol. ( I never go out without mine)

Lady Madonna  
#19 Posted : 24 March 2011 01:20:35(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi Parabuild,
I would have thoght anybody who went out breaking & entering in 'Blue stockings with white tops covering his knees' deserved to be caught, I dread to think if Mrs Norman could see those, what was he was wearing on his lower half!! It just goes to show there was probably more crime commited in Whaley/Buxworth than there is now.
Thanks again Lady M,
PS don't hang up the 'Deerstalker' just yet.
umtali  
#20 Posted : 24 March 2011 13:10:56(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Great stuff Mr Parabuild, a breath of fresh air to blow away the cobwebs,
Shame there is no picture of the villains avaiable.