logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BarryRudd  
#1 Posted : 19 April 2011 21:05:57(UTC)
BarryRudd

Groups: Member

Good evening all

W3 is pleased to announce that Linda Simpson

http://www.magnac.com/history.shtml

will be helping us to establish our acoustic evening in the Canal Basin for the first time ever on a Friday at the Water Weekend.

Linda has a project to promote acoustic music http://www.mamadont.co.uk/

Watch her here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wczGM8219q0&feature=related

Cheers

Barry

Edited by user 19 April 2011 23:04:01(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
sinope  
#2 Posted : 05 May 2011 21:09:29(UTC)
sinope

Hate to be a wet blanket, but I don't like the sound of this at all. Outdoor live music from the canal basin carries, and it is basically noise pollution. Could you tell me how long it will go on for? I usually try to go away when the Whaley Water Weekend is on to avoid the noise, but I'm not able to this year. I can just about cope with the daytime DJ, but hate the thought of it going on into the evenings as well. I know some people will think it's all good fun... but not necessarily for those who can't escape.

BarryRudd  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2011 13:45:44(UTC)
BarryRudd

Good afternoon Sinope and thank you for your comments.

Last year we raised the profile of the event with the fairground arriving a day earlier, the Meerkats, film shows and what proved to be a popular Saturday evening live music session by local bands.

I had anticipated one or two complaints to be honest but I have only received positive feedback from residents despite some folk having a fairground at the bottom of their gardens.

The result of all this has been increased interest in the event.  Local traders benefited and have been keen to support and sponsor us again this year despite the recession.  We now have a strong committee  and no shortage of helpers who have the interests of the town and it's regeneration at heart.   My brother who brought his family over from Derby for the day was recently telling me how much he spent in Bellas, the Sheps, the pet shop and the fish and chip shop.

Aware of the increased sound level on Saturday we sought entertainment of a quieter nature for Friday and considered classical, folk or acoustic.  HPBC have granted us a TEN (temporary event notice) to run to 10 PM on Friday and Saturday and we have the neccessary permissions in place from British Waterways. 

We always hand deliver a letter to residents directly affected by the event and this will go out shortly.  Feel free to contact me directly at any time if you have further concerns but the forum is a great place to air views, create debate and for us to get feedback.  After all, your comments on the litter near the Horse Tunnel got us out there to clear it all up.  I didn't feel it my place to comment on your post about the trees at the time but can assure you that they were felled for good reason.

Regards

Barry

W3 Chair

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
lord cornflake  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2011 15:10:05(UTC)
lord cornflake

Give me a break Sinope,no one has even played a note yet and your complaining.The fact you go away during water weekend shows your support for Whaley.I hear they sell great earplugs in Drinkwaters.

sinope  
#5 Posted : 06 May 2011 16:53:44(UTC)
sinope

lord cornflake wrote:

Give me a break Sinope,no one has even played a note yet and your complaining.The fact you go away during water weekend shows your support for Whaley.I hear they sell great earplugs in Drinkwaters.

I know, I know, I'm such a misery! Truth is, I have nothing against W3 and wish it well, but I have no desire at all to join in - not my thing. It's the noise pollution from outdoor PA's and speakers that disturbs me because it carries such a long way. Two years ago I abandoned my lazy afternoon in the garden in a bid to escape the lively patter of DJ Lorenzo and his choice of music. I went to Combs village and walked up to Castle Naze. Guess what? I could still hear his voice drifting across on the summer breeze - faint but somehow very irritating.

I admit I am extremely sensitive to noise pollution. W3 mission creep into the evenings is a bit of a worry for me, but as long as the amp volume is turned down a notch or two I probably won't hear it at all, and I'll have nothing to moan about.