logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Norm  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2011 08:33:06(UTC)
Norm

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi

I have received the following email:-

by email wrote:

I am hoping someone can help me.   During the 1940's my dad and some of my uncles used to fish the reservoir and myself and one of my cousins sometimes went with them.  I remember walking along a country lane with a stream running along the right hand side of the lane.   There was also a cottage where we used to buy milk.  There was a fishermans 'hut' which seemed quite large to us. It was right on the side of the reservoir with a veranda which looked over the water. The 'hut' has some armcharis etc and I assume facilities for cooking or re-heating food,I don't remember much about that side of it !

I  would dearly love a photo of it as it was then if such a thing exists.

I did contact someone quite a few years ago and they said they would either put some photos on your website or send me one, neither of which seems to have happened. I would be pleased to pay for any such photo or photos relating to this particular spot.

I have asked the person who sent the email to join the forum, let's hope they do.

Can anyone help?

Norm

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2011 10:00:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

A very good morning indeed to you, Well Known Norm,

I too remember the fishing hut just as described; the only thing I can add to the description is that there was a large stuffed fish inside. Probably a Pike I would think.

I do not have a photo of it but I would also like to see one. I too remember it as being a large shed.

The place your emailer bought milk would have probably been Mrs. Grant’s cottage.

I do have a photo of this and there was also a similar one on ebay until recently. By the way, Well Known Norm, have you seen the selling prices of the photos on ebay?

R. S-S

Norm  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2011 10:34:18(UTC)
Norm

Man

Thank you for a swift reply, Robert. I think we should wait to hear from our emailer now, sometimes they just seem to dissappear

What reservoir is the person asking about? You know I am not up to speed on lumps of water.

Ebay. Are they expensive? Should I sell some of me on the beach? Could be worth a tidy sum

Norm

Horwich Ender  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2011 20:24:29(UTC)
Horwich Ender

The person the unknown e-mailer refers to is probably Cllr Jon The Whaley One.

CllrJonG does a tremendous job for this village and he would not hesitate with an offer to put photographs on this forum.

However, we are well aware that CllrJonG has an attraction to drinking strong beers and it wouldn't be the first time he has made a promise which he has subsequently forgotten about after sampling Whaley's fine assortment of strong ales.

CllrJonG is an active contributor to this forum and the e-mail may go some way to jogging his memory on this subject.

We may have to wait before CllrJonG replies because, if I remember correctly, he has recently stated he has urgent work commitments which will keep him occupied until the end of the month and he will also be working on his maiden speech as Chairman of the Town Council which he will have to make after the elections on 5th May.

Please bear with CllrJonG he does come good in the end but it can take some time depending upon his alcohol intake.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 26 April 2011 13:54:24(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Dear Well Known Norm,

The last time I looked there was only one reservoir in Whaley and that is, and always has been, Toddbrook.

The masked emailer must be referring to Toddbrook everything points to it.

Just to put your mind at rest it could hardly be Fernilee as fishing has never been allowed on there and it could hardly be Errwood as that wasn’t constructed until the 1960’s and the phantom emailer is recalling events in the 40’s.

I am rather taken with the last post by the ever eloquent Horwich Ender. I think his suggestions make perfect sense although if I did not know you I would also suspect you as being The Whaley One for only a man with a liking for strong drink could have come up with your post.

R. S-S
Norm  
#6 Posted : 26 April 2011 17:06:57(UTC)
Norm

Man

Robert,

You may be jumping to conclusions.

1. The last time I looked. Well when was that? You never know what may have dried up since the 1940s.

2. Only one in Whaley! The masked emailer never mentioned Whaley, may have sent to it to the wrong history site.

3. No fishing allowed. That may not stop people.

etc etc etc.

But on reflection I am sure you are 100% correct  Told you I was no good at lumps of water!!

Will be mildly interesting to see if the masked emailer joins. HE could well be right about Jon, he probably did make a promise but he is a very busy chap doing the work of eleven and even he takes on too much sometimes.

Norm

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 26 April 2011 17:42:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Norm wrote:

HE could well be right about Jon, he probably did make a promise but he is a very busy chap doing the work of eleven and even he takes on too much sometimes.

Norm

Make that twelve please Well Known Norm.

R. S-S
Beryl  
#8 Posted : 27 April 2011 06:53:24(UTC)
Beryl

Hello Norm and all who have replied I have joined the forum. Thank you for showing the photo of the cottage. I didn't know there would be photos on e-bay, don't go there much!

Still very new at  this (joing forums) I seem to remember the name Toddbrook. I know it was fished by others as naturally I saw them. Don't remember the stuffed fish, but glad my memory has not deceived me. Happy days.  May I copy the photo into one of my files. I would be happy to buy a copy though.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 27 April 2011 13:23:34(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello and welcome, Beryl,

You are most welcome to copy the photo to your files. If you look back in the historical side of this forum you will find a full topic on Toddbrook Reservoir and there are more photos and a bit of history about the place.

The scene you described can only have been Toddbrook and you remembered it well apart from the stuffed Pike which was in a glass case.
I don’t know for sure but I think the fearsome creature may have been caught by Bernard Jones of Horwich End. He was an excellent pike fisherman and possibly held the record for Toddbrook and Combs.
He was the son of Sam Jones and nephew of the famous footballer Bill Jones who sadly passed away very recently.
I can’t ask Bernard about it as he no longer lives around here but I believe he is fit and well.

This might have some interest to Gnatalee, our regular contributor, as she is closely related to Bernard.

R. S-S
Norm  
#10 Posted : 27 April 2011 19:33:52(UTC)
Norm

Man

Welcome also Beryl.

I am glad you joined, sometimes we get a request and the person never comes back. You obviously had a great time at Toddbrook, and you remember it so well. Nice to hear from someone in another part of the country, it makes it all worthwhile. I hope we get more photos to stir your memories. R.S-S will certainly help as much as possible.

Again, welcome.

Norm

Beryl  
#11 Posted : 29 April 2011 07:29:19(UTC)
Beryl

Thank you for all your replies I will take a look in the historical section.

G. Jackson  
#12 Posted : 03 May 2011 21:05:37(UTC)
G. Jackson

these were taken many years ago (aprox. 55-60 ) in Toddbrook, the little stream running alondside the reservoir. On any sunny day there could be found many kids there.

File Attachment(s):
009.JPG (933kb) downloaded 103 time(s).
G. Jackson  
#13 Posted : 03 May 2011 21:09:51(UTC)
G. Jackson

Sorry but I cannot name any of the children.

File Attachment(s):
003.JPG (949kb) downloaded 86 time(s).
G. Jackson  
#14 Posted : 03 May 2011 21:11:38(UTC)
G. Jackson

But one of these kids is now a member of this forum.

File Attachment(s):
005.JPG (895kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
G. Jackson  
#15 Posted : 03 May 2011 21:13:37(UTC)
G. Jackson

but which one?

File Attachment(s):
001.JPG (939kb) downloaded 74 time(s).
G. Jackson  
#16 Posted : 03 May 2011 21:16:34(UTC)
G. Jackson

sorry about the qualiy of the photos.

File Attachment(s):
006.JPG (941kb) downloaded 70 time(s).
Gnatalee  
#17 Posted : 03 May 2011 21:30:57(UTC)
Gnatalee

Excellent photos G.Jackson - must've been a good summer that year ! Looking forward to hearing who the forum member is on the photos.

Gnats

Edited by user 03 May 2011 21:31:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#18 Posted : 03 May 2011 21:36:45(UTC)
Norm

Man

Brilliant Glenda, could it be you by any chance?

Norm

G. Jackson  
#19 Posted : 03 May 2011 22:15:24(UTC)
G. Jackson

Not me I cannot swim.

Norm  
#20 Posted : 04 May 2011 18:57:26(UTC)
Norm

Man

Just a couple of points that have occurred to me.

The water is not that deep so not being able to swim would not be a problem, and if you can't swim please explain why mutual friends say you drink like a fish. Just a thought.

Any clues to who the person is then?

Norm