logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CJA  
#1 Posted : 04 May 2011 16:25:51(UTC)
CJA

Groups: Member

Can anyone give me an idea of the commute (by car) to Manchester? Looking for somewhere to live with three kids but don't know if Whaley is realistic as I don't know the area at all. Any advice would be very welcome...

Neil A Shaw  
#2 Posted : 04 May 2011 17:13:48(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Realistically,you are looking at  around 90 minutes during Rush Hour. The worst part of the journey is traditionally the area between High Lane and Stockport, which on occasions can take more than an hour.by itself.

However, it takes less than an hour to both Eastlands and Old Trafford on match days so I suppose it depends on the time of day.

Similarly you can reach Manchester Airport in around 40 minutes, but this involves an alternative route.

Hope that helps

sfmans  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2011 17:49:18(UTC)
sfmans

Man

Just as an alternative thought, it takes about 40 - 45 minutes on the train from Whaley to Piccadilly station.

Not 100% reliable (I think my commute was seriously late or cancelled about 10 times in 2010, and there didn't seem to be any real correlation with the snow) but it's a whole bunch less stressful than crawling up and down the A6 every day ...
Norm  
#4 Posted : 04 May 2011 19:06:04(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Not quite history, but never mind.

As previously mentioned the journey by car can be long. Really depends what time of day. Going in is OK before 7 am (as I do) but you may not want to hear that. I never seem to find a good time to return. High Lane/Stockport is the worst part and there are no plans to make it better.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Certainly look at the train if possible.

Norm

Edited by user 04 May 2011 19:07:08(UTC)  | Reason: Speeling

Flannel  
#5 Posted : 04 May 2011 19:08:23(UTC)
Flannel

If you can leave early it is not so bad, it takes me half an hour to get to Stockport if I go before 7:30, but can be over an hour if I hit the school run. Don't know Stockport to Manchester well but 20 to 40 minutes probably. The train would be best if I was you. Other than that Whaley is the best place to live!
Norm  
#6 Posted : 04 May 2011 19:14:24(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Flannel wrote:

Other than that Whaley is the best place to live!

That is why it is bad journey, people like to live here and it's a nice place to live.

Norm

Edited by user 04 May 2011 19:16:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CJA  
#7 Posted : 04 May 2011 20:16:01(UTC)
CJA

Thanks for the replies, I guess the train might be an option...even at over 2K for the year! So what about schools, sports, etc. and are there really as many pubs as there seem to be looking on 'streetview'?!

Neil A Shaw  
#8 Posted : 05 May 2011 13:30:42(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

There are plenty of eating and drinking establishments of varying quality and I would suggest that you form your own opinion, as this particular can of worms was opened a long time ago.

Many locals frequent the "Sheps" for a number of reasons, not least of which is the best beer garden in the village. The White Hart tends to aim for the younger crowd and both the Board Inn and the Railway host live entertainment at the weekend.

The Cock Hotel has been refurbished and offers food at reasonable prices. The White Horse is also a popular pub situated at the Horwich End traffic lights.

Whaley Bridge FC are champions of the Hope Valley League  and are currently applying to join the Football Pyramid via the Cheshire League

Whaley Bridge CC are members of the Derbyshire and Cheshire Cricket League.

Although the village is technically in Derbyshire, most of the football support is for the two Manchester Clubs. The City fans will be running a coach to Wembley next weekend and the United fans will be watching in the White Hart.

As these are only my interests, I suspect that many other people will be willing to help.

NevClarke  
#9 Posted : 05 May 2011 13:34:05(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Don't forget the Goyt Inn.  Great little boozer. Tony and Chaos are most welcoming :-)

Should point out that most of the pubs are dog friendly, so if you have a furry friend the Goyt and the Sheps, as well as the Dog and Partridge will be accomodating inside and out.

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
RockBanker  
#10 Posted : 05 May 2011 13:35:05(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Cant tell you much about the schools, but pubs we have the

Board
White Horse
Male Hen
Shepherds Arms
White Hart
Railway
Goyt
Dog & Partridge (at Bridgemont)

I'm sure you will find one you like.

The Navigation is closed, and looks like being turned into flats
The Jodrell has been closed for some time, and it is a mystery if it will ever reopen

Slightly further afield, but within reasonable staggering distance

Shady Oak, Fernilee
Navigation, Buxworth

And a lot more within a bit of a hike or bus ride

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk