logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
WBA  
#1 Posted : 01 June 2011 08:27:39(UTC)
WBA

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Dear local residents,

This year the water weekend has decided to take the plunge and run our own barbecue stand. This way we can keep money flowing around the town and create our very own "Whaley Burgers"... to this end we have been working with some fabulous local people - Lou at the Cock, Damian at Wilde's, Furness Vale Field Day Committee etc. etc.

We're all set...except we desperately need people to run the grill!

If you can spare 3 hours on either Saturday the 11th or Sunday the 12th then please please get in touch.  We'd be really grateful.

Full supervision will be provided - you can email me at s.gray@mmu.ac.uk

BarryRudd  
#2 Posted : 02 June 2011 00:47:47(UTC)
BarryRudd

Well, Sam

I've watched Masterchef and did a Dover Sole like Michelle did so I will happily help out.  It's great that you are supporting local business and raising money to safeguard the future of what has become Whaley's premier event. 

This is a chance to show how Whaley is changing and that a new generation is prepared to get involved and to embrace  and enhance community events.

All I can say is at the Furness Field Day-three ladies sold 350 burgers in four hours and had a laugh doing so.   So can we (Whaley) match that community spirit ?

Cheers

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
lexipie  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2011 22:38:18(UTC)
lexipie

What about the local businesses such as Trio's, Bella's, Bapka and the chippy who i assume will all be selling hot food over the weekend?
BarryRudd  
#4 Posted : 04 June 2011 11:10:22(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi lexipie

One of the aims of the Water Weekend is to bring visitors into the town and for them to spend money in local businesses.  Hopefully they will have a good time and come back another day.

There has always been food available on site and this year a decision was made to keep the money made from food sales in town.  During the weekend local food outlets at the canal end of town are working to capacity and visitors whilst in the basin area do want food available on site.  This year the burgers will be from Wild's and any profit (weather permiting) will be used to finance next years event-so bringing a few thousand people into the town to give traders a bumper day.  It will be interesting once again to see which shops close early next Saturday and those that stay open later or open on Sunday.

Last year my Brother came down from Derby with his family and spent money in the fish and chip shop, pet shop, Bella's and the Sheps as well as on the attractions at the event. 

Cheers

Barry

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
JonG  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2011 19:58:55(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi Sam,

Count me in for a 3 hour stint on Saturday and Sunday.

Do I get a uniform?

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com