logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Amber  
#21 Posted : 29 November 2011 18:42:06(UTC)
Amber

Groups: Member

Hello All I have been following the threads about Shallcross Hall/Manor for some time.

Joan and Paul Lisztwan are my grandparents and have very fond memories of their time at the Hall. There are a couple of inaccuracies in some of the material that I have read, though.

My grandfather is Czech and did not come to England as a refugee. He fought in the war and travelled across Europe. I believe he joined General Montgomery's troops and ended up being based in the north of England. Whilst there he met my grandmother, Joan, at a tea dance. They fell in love, and the rest is history, as they say. I have never heard the story of their 'predicament' before, but I will be sure to check it out next time I am up to visit them.

I would be very happy to put any other questions you may have about their time at Shallcross Hall to them - I find it all fascinating.

Amber Rampley
Ferni  
#22 Posted : 30 November 2011 01:32:19(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Amber, I can hardly wait !! I'll be in touch on FB ;)

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#23 Posted : 30 November 2011 17:13:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Amber and a very warm welcome to this forum,

I wonder if you could contact Councillor Jon Goldfinch who will give you my email address.

I was extremely good friends with your Grandma and Granddad and would love to contact them both again. I know they would be both happy to see me.
You will know me very well but I would not like to go into private details on the forum.

I could fill pages and pages on this forum about Paul; he was a great friend and I never stopped laughing with him.

A truly great man, a good friend and nobody better has walked the streets of Whaley Bridge.

R. S-S
Amber  
#24 Posted : 01 December 2011 12:21:57(UTC)
Amber

Dear R. S-S

I will do. I look forward to discovering your identity!

Best wishes

Amber
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#25 Posted : 04 December 2011 13:27:14(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

On the 14th November, 1923 the Jodrell Trust Estates offered for sale by auction 75 lots of leases for various properties in Whaley Bridge.

The sale took place at the Princes Cinema in Whaley Bridge and the Auctioneers were John D Wood & Co of 6 Mount Street, London W1.

The opening page of the catalogue notes several ‘fine’ lots including Taxal Lodge, The Royal Oak at Taxal, The Whaley Bridge Golf Course and Shallcross Manor.

It was named as Shallcross Manor not Shallcross Hall and the opening description was thus:

“Shallcross Manor, with 12 acres, a fine old Residence with old fashioned gardens and surrounded by grounds and Parkland.”

The property was as set out in lot 56 the details of which are below.

The Manor must have been quite a bit larger than Errwood Hall I suspect.

I have also put a copy of a postcard that I have with the rather ‘odd’ title of Smallcross Hall.

Amber,

Perhaps you could ask your Grandma exactly which part of the Manor they stayed in but I hope to be able to ask her myself before you thanks to your very kind email giving me contact details.
I’ll email you privately with some tales about Paul when time permits.

R. S-S

Ferni  
#26 Posted : 22 December 2011 21:37:46(UTC)
Ferni

... a grass tennis court? where was that, does anyone know?

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
marymary119  
#27 Posted : 05 October 2013 15:37:22(UTC)
marymary119

United Kingdom

My name is Mary Wheeler née Kopp.  I was born at Shallcross Hall in 1949, and my parents were Georges and Doreen Kopp. I believe we only lived there for a short while because we moved to France and then returned to England in 1951 after the death of my father. I know my parents were friends of Beryl Lomas and her family and for many years I carried on the tradition of sending and receiving cards and letters with Beryl, especially at Christmas. I am creating a life history and would love to know how many rooms there were at Shallcross Hall and any other information.  I have a photo of it and it looks huge!  I do not have any personal memories of the house but believe that thieves stripped the roof of its lead and then the house fell into decay and was pulled down to make way for a development of bungalows.