logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BarryRudd  
#1 Posted : 14 June 2011 17:55:42(UTC)
BarryRudd

Groups: Member

Afternoon all,

Here we are two days after the event and no comments or complaints!  We held a three day event, played live amplified music until 10 pm outside.  Caused traffic jams. Thousands of people descended on one end of the town spending money, overloading the cafes, pubs and infrastructure.  Off licences sold out of cans.  But then we had no:

Litter, vandalism, crime, accidents or incidents at all.  The youth behaved impeccably and no one had to be asked to leave the site. 

What a nice relaxed atmosphere there was throughout- sshhhh, best not shout too loud or everyone will want to live in Whaley.

We are all still packing away and will make a statement of thanks when we have had some sleep.

There are now hundreds of photos on the Water Weekend Facebook page and a short Video on the Buxton Advertiser website

Cheers

Barry

Edited by user 14 June 2011 20:33:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 14 June 2011 18:07:19(UTC)
G. Jackson

Barry,

I couldn't attend the event on any of the days so I shouldn't comment. All I can say is when I used to organise works Christmas Parties, days at the races, nights out etc. I very rarely had any comments. Usually people only complain if something goes wrong and say nowt if everything goes to plan and they have a good time. By having no comments shouldn't disconcert you, just take it that everyone was satisfied and happy (but very rude).

G.J.

Edited by user 14 June 2011 18:17:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Web Watcher  
#3 Posted : 14 June 2011 18:57:24(UTC)
Web Watcher

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It was a sad sight to see the bunting being taken down in the pouring rain on Sunday afternoon after a fantastic event. Massive thanks to all of those who organised, co-ordinated, stewarded etc but also to those who supported the weekend.
Flannel  
#4 Posted : 14 June 2011 19:02:12(UTC)
Flannel

Thanks for a great Whaley weekend. Fully intend to get more involved next year. The atmosphere at the basin and in the pubs was fantastic.
lord cornflake  
#5 Posted : 14 June 2011 19:11:10(UTC)
lord cornflake

Sooper Dooper young Bazooka.Great weekend pity it slashed it down on sunday.I hear all the shops on canal street did a roaring trade,and elsewhere I presume.

Dunny  
#6 Posted : 14 June 2011 19:45:03(UTC)
Dunny

From my part, I would like to say a heart felt thanks to all the bands who played, lent gear and basically mucked in big style!!! Thanks lads and one lady!!! I think it was a brilliant success. Can't wait till next year!! Well done Barry!!
BarryRudd  
#7 Posted : 14 June 2011 21:01:33(UTC)
BarryRudd

Hi

The success of this event is down to more than the organisers.

I feel that the town has a unique village feel but has often lacked the community spirit I see in other places.

We have all now seen just what can be achieved if we can motivate and harness people power.  In the past few weeks we have had people tidying up the canal basin area.  This year we have been supplied goods and services either free or at cost price by local businesses.  Everyone is working in harmony and all sectors of society are included.  I decided to push the boundaries this year by extending the "opening hours".  It is now up to the Townsfolk to decide if that is what they want to happen next year for this is your event.

Stall holders and performers now all want to come to Whaley and the visitors book was full of complimentary comments about the unique friendly atmosphere and setting we have.

You should all be proud, now let's keep it up.  A dog is not just for Christmas.

Cheers

Barry

Edited by user 14 June 2011 21:05:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
Norm  
#8 Posted : 14 June 2011 21:34:58(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi

I popped in both days at the weekend. Saturday was obviously the most busy. Had a mouch round the cars, my first car, a Morris Minor was there, aren't they always? It had gone on Sunday :(

Liked the Cortina Mk I. I had one, mine was cream (ish) and green, it had a nice five letter badge on it, it said "Lotus"  

On Sunday Davethescope walked past me, he looked like he had been in the canal! Was a tad wet, he didn't notice me but I probably looked similar. Well I think it was him, in fact quite sure it was. Even on Sunday the children were happy, even in the wet. Can you get dry weather next year Barry ( not serious)

Well done.

Norm

Ferni  
#9 Posted : 14 June 2011 23:39:30(UTC)
Ferni

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I don't want to count how many hours... days.. I gave to this event, but it was a lot. I was determined to help make it succeed and make the best use of my skills and local knowledge and contacts.
It was a fantastic event and I'm immensely proud of us all who went the extra mile to do a little good just for the sake of it. 'Community Spirit' ? yes, it's alive and well in this village, despite how it can or could appear.
To say that only last year it was in danger of never happening again, is testimony to the effect and effort put in by the (new) chairman Barry, and the continued support of a couple of original committee members Barrie & Jim. Their enthusiasm and devotion to the event has had a profound effect on me and a lot of my fellow Whaleyites.

Building more live music onto the itinerary was a great success as was the BMX event which bridged the day to evening's events perfectly.

Unique, impressive, and most endearing was the effort that 'the Fringe' went to to create and perform the Mad Hatter's Tea Party outside Old-Know House on the corner of Canal St. The residents there are not involved in the Committee, and weren't booked or requested to partake.. they did it off their own bat and donated all their takings to the event.

I loved The Powderkegs, who have to be the most unique of their ilk and do Whaley proud. I may even join them myself after having had a go when they invited people to partake !

All in all, a fantastic weekend - many memories, lots of photos, great atmosphere and a steadfast determination to make it as good as, or better than, next year.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Green_Gentleman  
#10 Posted : 15 June 2011 00:34:00(UTC)
Green_Gentleman

I could only make the Friday acoustic session given the weather was tempting for a walk up the Goyt instead on the Saturday (sorry guys) and a washout on Sunday, but Friday night was a pretty good turnout despite the dampness and midgets in the air.

Got a few snaps i'm still uploading and editing on the computer, no Facebook page myself but i'll see if the artists have personalised websites that i'll be able to forward to them if interested. Quite a few with more professional lenses there I noticed who were probobally from the Courier/Advertiser?

davethescope  
#11 Posted : 15 June 2011 19:22:23(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Norm wrote:

On Sunday Davethescope walked past me, he looked like he had been in the canal! Was a tad wet, he didn't notice me but I probably looked similar. Well I think it was him, in fact quite sure it was.

It was me, Norm but I had my head down. Walked to Buggy to see the big diseisels then round back to Whaley and, as you say, I might as well as swum the canal.

A jolly good show and a pity about the weather on Sunday. It was a shame to see the last act, the rather good Acoustic collective, playing to a single figure audience on Sunday. Well done to Barry and his elves
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
snoopy  
#12 Posted : 16 June 2011 07:47:04(UTC)
snoopy

Ferni wrote:

It was a fantastic event and I'm immensely proud of us all who went the extra mile to do a little good just for the sake of it. 'Community Spirit' ? yes, it's alive and well in this village, despite how it can or could appear. 

A job well done. Thanks to all concerned.

barrwalk  
#13 Posted : 16 June 2011 10:38:04(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

It was a great event, yet again and the 2011 innovations were a really good step forward. It was good to see the influx of new stewards on the day to supplement the band of 'old' faithfulls.
A "Well done" to the Whaley Fringe, you added a large splash of colour.
Being now the boat organiser and no longer the chairman I must emphasise the success of the boats at the 2011 event.
We are in a great position at the end of the Peak Forest Canal and with the space provded by the Whaley Wharf, around our much sought after Transhipment Warehouse - it truly is UNIQUE.
The event makes full use of this situation but would be a mere shadow without the boats and I would like to thank British Waterways in general, their Manchester and Pennine Regional Manager - David Baldacchino and his staff in particular and all those who gave freely of their time.
Firstly my wife, Liz, who spent the whole weekend, with only very short comfort breaks, from 9am until 5pm BOTH days on ticket allocation, buggie parking and crowd control AND
Secondly the experienced drivers and their crew who brought boats from Bollington (6 hours), did at least a three hour session non-stop and on Sunday braved the rain for several hours to give 1100 people, young and old, some never having been in a boat, before a special experience at our W3/2011. This number is only 42 less than 2010 and was achieved again without an accident. WELL DONE ALL!
The continuation of W3 is also due to the sterling work done, to a large extent by others. Barry Rudd of course and his committee. Jim Middlleton, who seeks sponsorship and produces the 'Guide and Local Business Directory' that goes into EVERY house in Furness and Whaley and his local business supporters. PLEASE refer to it before going outside the town for your jobs and services.
There has been a Town Council grant to W3 since independance in 2005, without which W3 would 'sink' and this has brought both business to and pleasure for Whaley Bridge shops and residents.Long may that continue. It is essential! W.B.T.C. please note!
It is still our proud boast that a family can spend at least half a day at W3 without the need to spend a penny. Long may that be an objective for W3.

Edited by user 16 June 2011 10:45:43(UTC)  | Reason: typos and spelling again

sfmans  
#14 Posted : 16 June 2011 11:18:39(UTC)
sfmans

Man

Ferni wrote:
I loved The Powderkegs, who have to be the most unique of their ilk and do Whaley proud. I may even join them myself after having had a go when they invited people to partake !

Kind words Ferni, thank you - we enjoyed ourselves as ever and it's great to do an event several of us can walk to!

We're possibly going to have a new members evening in September - all t.b.c. but if you are interested let me know and we'll add you to the contacts list.

Cheers

Steve
Band leader, The Powderkegs
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 16 June 2011 13:26:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Very well done, Barry,

A great success so congratulations to you.

The only thing missing was an organised walk to the Wood Well which, as you know, was the original source of Whaley’s water.
As it would have only been a short walk I am rather surprised you did not have this down as one of the main events.
In the afternoon I am sure ‘Whaleyites’ would have enjoyed seeing a re-enactment of the dispute between the Whaley Bridge people and the mercenaries from the High Peak Railway.
I am sure you could have persuaded the members of JGTC to act out the part of the hired thugs and you yourself could have led the charge on them armed, of course, with a red hot poker.
Perhaps next year.

R. S-S
RockBanker  
#16 Posted : 16 June 2011 16:39:49(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Well done for volunteering RSS. I shall look forward to it next year!

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Flannel  
#17 Posted : 16 June 2011 18:40:39(UTC)
Flannel

RSS, the well still needs rebuilding and a new basin. Have Compo and Clegg not come forward to help?
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#18 Posted : 16 June 2011 19:56:34(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thank you so much for your invaluable comments Rock Banker and Flannel.

I am not too sure who Compo and Clegg are supposed to be but nevertheless a few of us have plans to refurbish Wood Well to its former glory.

The finer details have still to be ironed out but I am very confident that forum members will be truly amazed at the transformation that is soon to take place.

At the moment I am unable to reveal the programme of works but shall we say it is imminent and shortly the crystal clear waters of Wood Well will flow once more and be freely available to the good folk of Whaley Bridge.

The dignitaries who will be invited to the opening ceremony will naturally include the two Barries (unfortunately the two Ronnies are not available) and the actual ‘switch-on’ we hope will be performed by Chairman Jon the Whaley One.

This is a completely serious post Rock Banker and when the time is nigh I shall let you know via the forum and hopefully you too will be able to witness at first hand this truly sensational and historical event. I hope you can spare the time.

R. S-S
JonG  
#19 Posted : 16 June 2011 22:33:44(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi Barry,

On behalf of Whaley Bridge Town Council, I'd like to thank you, the committee and all your volunteers for the outstanding work and effort you have all put in over the last weekend and over the months preceeding in order to  put the Whaley Water Weekend together and make it the success it was. Noone can control the weather, not even you, but Sunday saw a very good turn out despite it,  after the major crowds on sunny Saturday and the undoubted success of the music on Friday night.. This year I believe you had more volunteers than ever, and I think it is huge credit to the way you are growing the event and trying out new things which involve different groups of people. The BMX group for example was a great hit, and gets younger people involved in community events. That can only be good for the future. 

Once again, a big thankyou to yourself and fellow organizers, and to all the volunteers without whoom the event could not go ahead. And of course thanks also to all those who attended and helped to make it a success, and to all the local businesses who played a part and gave time and money to turn it into the true community event that it was.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Ferni  
#20 Posted : 16 June 2011 23:43:50(UTC)
Ferni

Green_Gentleman wrote:

..... but Friday night was a pretty good turnout despite the dampness and midgets in the air.

midgets?.. in the air ? I don't recall seeing any of those, Green_Gentleman ! :)

For anyone who hasn't found the W3 page on the biggest social network site, Facebook, I enclose it here. There's a few hundred photos of the weekend, taken and added by various people including yours truly.

https://www.facebook.com...ter-Weekend/289466988342

Edited by user 16 June 2011 23:51:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
DSC_0164.JPG (541kb) downloaded 23 time(s).

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.