logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#41 Posted : 09 July 2009 20:58:39(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
R.S-S hello and how are you?

Have been away, so have only just read your post on the FV Chippy, which I have not yet had a chance to visit, but will.

You say that you always get into trouble on this side of the Forum - well, I have only just noticed that in the post "Corner Shop" I have actually had a post removed by the Moderator, because "it caused offence"! At my age I thought I was past causing offence to anyone, and I can't even remember what I wrote! Is it three strikes and you're out on here?

PS - trust you to get a free cup of tea! What a charmer you must be!
CllrJonG  
#42 Posted : 10 July 2009 03:01:36(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

After all the good reports I decided to try the new Furness Vale chippy out on Tuesday evening on a spur of the moment thing.  Not a good idea I found as it is shut then (and had i have remembered all the posts I should have realized that). Moreover, I have discovered that they only put a proper sign up on the building when it is open, which explains why It took such a long time to find the closed building. So then I decided I would go in search of Dennis in a layby 'somewhere near' Chapel. I never found him, and I suspect he wasn't around that evening. For those that may wonder why I was searching for Dennis in a layby, Dennis now runs a mobile chippy ,having originally taken over from Nancy and Neils establishment in Whaley.  I did however find a large fishing lake in the road between Ferodo roundabout and Chapel which someone in Chapel must really do something about, but which livened up the journey no end.

Nancy and Neil produced the best fish and chips in the world.  With a spotlessly clean shop, and working together as an almost mechanically efficient team they turned out  some magificent fish and chips. Fish and Chips  were absolutely faultless, cooked in proper beef dripping, and perfectly served. Not a bad chip in sight. The batter on the fish was light and crisp, and the fish was mouth wateringly fresh. I consider myself lucky to have been around to have tasted the fish and chips which has now moved into local folklore. The portions were by no means large (was it just 2 visits from trading standards??) , but they were so good that people simply bought double portions! 'Fish bits'  were there if you were lucky! My mouth still waters at the thought of a portion of Nancy and Neils fish and chips - they really were that good.

After Nancy and Neil left, Dennis took over, and  worked from the same shop. Lets face it, no-one could ever match Nancy's however hard you tried, so he was off to a hard start, but Dennis was always only a fraction away from that status. Dennis then moved round into the Horwich End chip shop, previously a newsagents, and continued to serve fish and chips of the same  top standard.  Always busy and full , he continued to serve top quality fish and chips until he sold the business and moved to France.  I hadn't realized that a standard clause in these sorts of sale contracts generally forbids the seller from returning to within a prescribed area of the same business for x many years, but that obviously makes sense. Hence I understand that that is why Dennis, having returned from France, is now selling fish and chips from just outside the said area from a layby near Chapel. That's the layby I didn't find.

Now you understand what high standards I have seen in the past, you may understand how I judge the competition. On Wednesday  evening I tried again at Furness Vale. This time they were open. The place is spotlessly clean, and they are all bright and friendly. As I say, I found that the sign outside only goes up when they are open, which is why I drove past it the first time. I ordered fish and chips, and it was cooked to order with a five minute wait. Very nice service. Because I was taking it away, it was put in a polystyrene box inside a substantial paper carrier bag. Snaffled a few before I took them home to eat and there was no real deterioration.

The chips were a lovely golden brown, not quite as crisp as Nancy used to get them, but full of flavour, and with not a single bad bit to be seen. The oil they were cooked in was obviously good quality and fresh. They clearly cared about the quality of what they were serving. There were masses of chips- almost too many, but  that's going to please a lot of people. Certainly pleased me at the time. I like my chips a touch crisper hence an 8/10. The chips were salted and vinegared as I asked, and I particularly noticed the salt. It wasn't at all overdone but on the contrary it was really fine and nicely  dusted on the chips. Really nice. Not sure if it was something different - i will ask when i GO BACK.

The fish was fantastic. It was beautfully cooked and incrediblly tasty. I could eat this all day long, and become even fatter than I am. 10/10 for fish.

The  batter was lovely and light , but for me the only thing that let it down, is that, like my chips, I like the batter to be a touch more crispy . Crispy batter is where Fish bits come from. This batter was quite thin and not really as crispy as I like. 7/10 for batter, which was a bit of a dissapointment.

So great chips, but only a fraction off as crispy as they could be, fantastic fish, and lovely light batter which could just be a bit bubblier and crispier. On top of that super service and a spotless shop. Overall 8/10

So, I have yet to try Dennis's, and once i manage to synchronize his layby appearances to mine,  I will be able to do a proper comparison of  quality local fish and chips. 

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
lord cornflake  
#43 Posted : 10 July 2009 10:57:22(UTC)
lord cornflake

I think but im not 100% sure that Dennis is in the layby at Barmoor Clough.

Mikeann  
#44 Posted : 10 July 2009 11:31:04(UTC)
Mikeann

that where I got mine from him the other week - but I think it is only Thursday,Friday & Saturday - not sure
High Peak Harry  
#45 Posted : 11 July 2009 05:54:10(UTC)
High Peak Harry

CllrJonG wrote:

Nancy and Neil produced the best fish and chips in the world. And so they should, having been in business for that long. The Furness Chippy has only been going 2 months and has already achieved a magnificent standard.

Now you understand what high standards I have seen in the past, you may understand how I judge the competition. On Wednesday  evening I tried again at Furness Vale. This time they were open. The place is spotlessly clean, and they are all bright and friendly. As I say, I found that the sign outside only goes up when they are open, which is why I drove past it the first time. I ordered fish and chips, and it was cooked to order with a five minute wait. Very nice service. Because I was taking it away, it was put in a polystyrene (actually it is sugar cane as the poster in the shop says.) box inside a substantial paper carrier bag. Snaffled a few before I took them home to eat and there was no real deterioration.

The chips were a lovely golden brown, not quite as crisp as Nancy used to get them, but full of flavour, and with not a single bad bit to be seen. The oil they were cooked in was obviously good quality and fresh (filtered daily I am reliably informed). They clearly cared about the quality of what they were serving. There were masses of chips- almost too many, but  that's going to please a lot of people. Certainly pleased me at the time. I like my chips a touch crisper hence an 8/10. The chips were salted and vinegared as I asked, and I particularly noticed the salt. It wasn't at all overdone but on the contrary it was really fine and nicely  dusted on the chips (that is the difference, it is fine salt, greater coverage with less salt = healthier). Really nice. Not sure if it was something different - i will ask when i GO BACK.

The fish was fantastic. It was beautfully cooked and incrediblly tasty. I could eat this all day long, and become even fatter than I am. 10/10 for fish.

The  batter was lovely and light , but for me the only thing that let it down, is that, like my chips, I like the batter to be a touch more crispy . Crispy batter is where Fish bits come from (fish bits come from throwing the fish in the pan, thereby some batter falls off). This batter was quite thin and not really as crispy as I like. 7/10 for batter, which was a bit of a dissapointment (thicker batter contains more oil, takes longer to cook and therefore means the fish is overcooked).

So great chips, but only a fraction off as crispy as they could be (I am sure if you asked in a quieter period they could burn, sorry, leave your chips in longer) , fantastic fish, and lovely light batter  which could just be a bit bubblier and crispier. On top of that super service and a spotless shop. Overall 8/10

So, I have yet to try Dennis's, and once i manage to synchronize his layby appearances to mine,  I will be able to do a proper comparison of  quality local fish and chips. 

Cheers

Jon.

I think once word spreads more, this shop will certainly raise the level of customer expectation of quality,service, and price in that order. Incidentally I am not related to anyone in the shop and nor do I own it before anyone suggests otherwise. I just appreciate professionalism and people who care about their customers.

Gnatalee  
#46 Posted : 11 July 2009 13:04:40(UTC)
Gnatalee

Can someone enlighten me please? The fish and chip shop which was "Nancy and Neil's" - was this the one at the bottom of Macc Road, just before the lights? Were they running it for a long, long, long time? My grandparents (on mum's side) lived on Macc Road and we often used this chippy. What was their surname?

Just wondered

Gnats

Edited by user 11 July 2009 13:05:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scuba Man  
#47 Posted : 11 July 2009 13:55:09(UTC)

Groups: Guest

You are correct Gnatalee. Nancy's chippy was at the bottom of Macc Road on the left hand side if you were travelling from Macclesfield to Whaley. They ran the business for a very long time and used to sell the nicest and smallest Inshore Cod in Britain. Dennis bought the property off Neil and Nancy and I think he is now living in it following his return from France.

Techy  
#48 Posted : 11 July 2009 13:59:12(UTC)

High Peak Harry wrote:
 Incidentally I am not related to anyone in the shop and nor do I own it before anyone suggests otherwise. 

I find that very very hard to believe!

I have suspected you have an involvement from the first day you posted this and re-reading you comments in this post, coupled with the comments above I am now sure you do Harry!

Still they are good Fish and Chips all the same and worth promoting I suppose.

High Peak Harry  
#49 Posted : 11 July 2009 14:59:10(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Techy wrote:

High Peak Harry wrote:
 Incidentally I am not related to anyone in the shop and nor do I own it before anyone suggests otherwise. 

I find that very very hard to believe!

How very dare you sir! I can assure you categorically that I knew no-one in that shop before they opened. God is my witness.

Still they are good Fish and Chips all the same and worth promoting I suppose.

I will agree with you on that point though.

Bob Bowker  
#50 Posted : 11 July 2009 15:15:52(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Regarding High Peak Harry's posting  today (11.07.09), with reference to sprinkling of salt on chips, there is actually a directive (no doubt of Government origin)  through the trade that says that by a shortly forthcoming date, that the salt dispensers must have no more than two holes. No doubt the thinking behind that is that it assists the public not to overdose on salt and be a drain on the NHS.

I dare say that this conclusion has been reached by many committee meetings at some expence to the taxpayer. However, they completely miss the obvious which is that all you have to do is shake the dispenser longer hence getting more excercise

D-DAY DODGER2  
#51 Posted : 21 July 2009 23:34:35(UTC)
D-DAY DODGER2

I was not aware that the identity of the proprieter of the F.V. chippy was a secret. Would it be very bad of me to blackmail some free fish and chips from him/her with the threat of unmasking?

High Peak Harry  
#52 Posted : 21 July 2009 23:44:31(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Are you aware of the term blackballing someone. What shade is your preference?
D-DAY DODGER2  
#53 Posted : 22 July 2009 22:40:27(UTC)
D-DAY DODGER2

High Peak Harry wrote:
Are you aware of the term blackballing someone. What shade is your preference?

I sincerely hope that your remark was not racially motivated as some ethnic minorities (one of which I could be a member of  FOR ALL YOU KNOW) could find it very offensive

High Peak Harry  
#54 Posted : 23 July 2009 17:38:10(UTC)
High Peak Harry

D-DAY DODGER2 wrote:

I was not aware that the identity of the proprieter of the F.V. chippy was a secret. Would it be very bad of me to blackmail some free fish and chips from him/her with the threat of unmasking?

You started it!

D-DAY DODGER2  
#55 Posted : 24 July 2009 22:25:40(UTC)
D-DAY DODGER2

of course you are correct perhaps the correct word would have been extort! lol
High Peak Harry  
#56 Posted : 25 July 2009 08:05:32(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Oh dear, you let people off for a few spelling mistakes and everything goes to pot!

D-DAY DODGER2 wrote:
Of course you are correct, perhaps the correct word would have been extort! lol

The use of text typing (lol) is also to be discouraged. You have a full keyboard at your disposal, please use it or add the emoticons at the side. No wonder the country is in the state it is if the use of the Queen's English has dropped so low. I bet you only eat with a fork and off a tray in front of the television.

See me afterwards!

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#57 Posted : 20 August 2009 13:13:30(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello everyone,

It looks like Furness Chippy was busy on this day.

An unfortunate photo in many ways because although we can see the Chippy the photographer has just missed the brass band and its leader High Peak Harry; blowing his own trumpet as usual trying to drum up business.

Can you actually drum up with your trumpet, Harry?

R. S-S

WB0081B Furness Vale by you.

frederick  
#58 Posted : 21 August 2009 09:15:32(UTC)

I have been to the new chip shop in Furness and it was very good, as with anything you can get a good batch or a bad batch. Mine were a great batch!

What year did the picture house close down? I once nearly had a date with a young lady there round or about 1961 but she never turned up! Which was lucky because I then went on to meet my wife and we married in 1963.

george  
#59 Posted : 21 August 2009 09:49:26(UTC)
george

Hi frederick

Whaley Cinema closed first in spring1956, it was opened again in 1958 as Taxal Parish Hall.They had a mobile cinema which showed films on Wed. Fri. and Sat. nights. I estimate this closed in 1966/67. Those were the days.

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#60 Posted : 21 August 2009 18:11:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

The silence from Harry is deafening although I think I can hear his feet stamping.

By the way chaps can we try and keep a bit of order on here? Such as discussing the Whaley Cinema on the historical thread where there is already a topic regarding the Cinema.
Why it should appear on the general discussion page on the discussion about Harry’s Chippy I have no idea.

But let’s try to keep things in some sort of order so that everyone finds it easier to follow.

Thank’s lads.

R. S-S