logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
george  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2009 09:41:13(UTC)
george

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good morning Mr.Jackson

As you enjoy thinking about chip shops do you remember Kirks,Fidlers,Shirts.Walkers and old Mrs. Waftys?

george 

G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2009 17:31:15(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear George, not only them but I can remember one special day a long time ago when all 13 chip shops were open.

george  
#3 Posted : 12 December 2009 18:58:17(UTC)
george

Thank you Mr Jackson, was it a Friday?

Do you know when Mrs. Wafty's closed?

george

G. Jackson  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2009 18:18:10(UTC)
G. Jackson

Methinks young George is trying to catch me out. I can remember going, after work, to the chippy opposite both butchers shops in Horwich End, this was of course after the war (WW1) and I seem to remember it being closed in about 1927. The other one that I remember well but cannot for the life of me remember the name of the owner is now a butchers shop on Old Road that Silversurfer may know well.

george  
#5 Posted : 16 December 2009 11:01:28(UTC)
george

It's a fair cope Mr Jackson, you win.

My mother use to talk about  Mrs.Wafty's chip shop on Old road, I think she said her real name was Mrs. Rowbottom but I was not sure. I would be interested in knowing the names of the 13 chip shops you remember, if you can't remember the all the names the locations. I can only remember 4 but my memory only goes back to the end of WW2 and I didn't go up Horwich End much.

Best wishes george

george  
#6 Posted : 16 December 2009 11:03:12(UTC)
george

It's a fair cope Mr Jackson, you win.

My mother use to talk about  Mrs.Wafty's chip shop on Old road, I think she said her real name was Mrs. Rowbottom but I was not sure. I would be interested in knowing the names of the 13 chip shops you remember, if you can't remember the all the names the locations. I can only remember 4 but my memory only goes back to the end of WW2 and I didn't go up Horwich End much.

Best wishes george

G. Jackson  
#7 Posted : 16 December 2009 16:25:41(UTC)
G. Jackson

Hello Young George,

Mrs. Rowbottom or Mrs. Robinson or something like that but no-one ever refered to her by her real name. That is the one I remember but can you remember the one at the traffic lights (obviously before there were any traffic lights) before the corner of the building (now Hulmes) was cut off to make the corner better for the ever increasing traffic. I seem to remember it having the corner cut off twice but my memory may be a bit clouded now. The lady who made the chips cooked them on the footpath just outside her door in a small pan like you would have at home in a pan with a wire basket. This was directly opposite the entrance to the school and there was always a queue there. I seem to remember that she only sold chips but in the early 20's who could afford fish?. I think she closed in about 1925.

Edited by user 16 December 2009 16:28:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#8 Posted : 16 December 2009 16:34:09(UTC)
G. Jackson

The phantom censor has been at work on my last post. This is the second time I have been censored for writing a rude word even though it wasn't meant. A question mark and a space was between the letters that spelt the rude word. I will re-write the censored bit above using  X  between words so as not to be censored. I even tried to write this post  typing  # between the words but this again was censored. Madness unchained !!!!

.....who X could X afford X fish? X   I  X think X she X closed X in ..................

Edited by user 16 December 2009 16:45:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#9 Posted : 17 December 2009 07:38:44(UTC)
snoopy

Obviously a rather crude program does this, suggest they fix it.

Well this weekend I am off to a Saturday night out in Scunthorpe!!!

Looks like Saturday got through, glad we live in Whaley Bridge and not    eprohtnucS    (reverse it) 

*******************  This message has now been edited by the powers that be, or software,  to be correct, which makes it look rather silly. To be honest I am not impressed by people, or software, editing my post after I have written it to change it's meaning. In the original the word Scunthorpe was changed by the automatic bad language program. I am glad it has been fixed BUT THIS POST SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN CENSORED AND ALTERED BY MODERATORS, OR SOFTWARE, TO CHANGE IT'S MEANING WITHOUT A NOTE BEING ADDED. IF POSTS ARE CENSORED, OR EVEN WORSE, AMENDED TO CHANGE THEIR MEANING I DON'T SEE THE POINT IN POSTING. (Which may please some people). 

If it has been changed by the software then a note by the person who changed the software should have been added to tell us that fact.

I suppose this mini rant is that note!

Edited by user 18 December 2009 07:47:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#10 Posted : 17 December 2009 10:51:07(UTC)
george

Hi Mr. Jackson

Thank you for your last reply, I as I put in my posting I can't remember much before the end of WW2 and I didn't venture much into Horwich End until much later when I was given a passport. Thinking about making chips on the footpath conjures up an interesting picture of W.B.

george 

G. Jackson  
#11 Posted : 18 December 2009 14:38:13(UTC)
G. Jackson

Well, well,Young George,

Seeing as you mentioned Mrs. Waftys chip shop you must be able to remember her Black Peas, one of her specialities I'm sure. No one did them better and with a little real malt vinegar on them they would make your mouth water. This was obviously before you were apprenticed to Mr. Costain.

How far would Mr. Devlin the veterinary have to have gone for his fish and chip supper from his surgery to the nearest chip shop in the past. Not very far as he has a door leading onto the car-park of his surgery...................is the ghost of Mrs. Shirt waiting with her frying pan ready.....???????????????

Chip fan  
#12 Posted : 27 December 2009 21:34:41(UTC)
Chip fan

What about the newish one in Furness, any body tried it yet?
Gnatalee  
#13 Posted : 28 December 2009 09:53:27(UTC)
Gnatalee

Sorry Chip Fan - I think we have covered this chip shop on another thread - it has been the subject of many a posting !

During the discussions there have been   and and and and eventually !!!! 

It seemed, at times, to be a very "popular" discussion.

Gnats

(Welcome to the board, by the way )

Edited by user 28 December 2009 13:28:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#14 Posted : 07 May 2014 16:27:46(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon.

Congratulations to The Friary for winning the Buxton Advertiser Chip Shop of the year 2014.

http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/local/whaley-bridge-chip-shop-is-frying-high-1-6597930