logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#21 Posted : 26 May 2009 20:13:52(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

George

Thank you for that posting - yes, the names you mention are correct and I remembered last night that the butchers was Heathcote's.

I particularly liked the story about the sweet shop and the owner cutting a caramel in half - classic !! 

My own story of a trip to a chip shop in Canal Street (Dronfields?) whilst staying at my Grans in Bridge Street.  I stood with my brother in the queue, probably only about 6 or 7 years old, rehearsing what I had to ask for.  When the big moment came I stood at the counter and asked for six pennyworth of fish and one chip please !!!  Needless to say I didn't understand why everyone was laughing 'cos I didn't realise what I'd said

Gnats

Frankie  
#22 Posted : 27 May 2009 15:51:56(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Whaley Bridge Fire Brigade. Not got a clue what year but in those days they could have been stationed at the old CPA works.This photo was taken from an original that I have framed on the wall at home.

Edited by user 27 May 2009 16:00:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie attached the following image(s):
ROSES 023.JPG
Gnatalee  
#23 Posted : 27 May 2009 20:19:04(UTC)
Gnatalee

Frankie

What an interesting photo. There's a lot of people on that carriage - I wonder if the poor old horse had to drag the cart and all those people to the fire or whether the firemen trotted alongside the cart - arriving at the fire in a "out of breath" heap !!

It shows you how lucky we are with a modern fire brigade ! In the days that this photo was taken there would have been no picking up a phone and dialling 999 !!!

I don't have a clue where the photo would have been taken but would be interested to know what year this would have been - hopefully someone will oblige.

Thanks again. 

Gnats

Edited by user 27 May 2009 20:20:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#24 Posted : 27 May 2009 21:02:28(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Gnats,

Photo taken down by the canal  by the transit shed where the iron railings are.

Gnatalee  
#25 Posted : 27 May 2009 23:19:06(UTC)
Gnatalee

Frankie

Oh right ! Know where you are now - did think of that initially but on the picture I thought it looked a bigger building to me.

Gnats
CllrJonG  
#26 Posted : 28 May 2009 01:48:51(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi R.S.S,

If I can ever help you , or anybody else, about how to use software or equipment of various sorts to capture photos, documents or other historical detail about Whaley Bridge, then you know exactly where to find me and how to contact me!

I am very pleased that you have received instruction(and presumably now bought a scanner), as this hopefully means we will start to see a picture frenzy  from you! I really look forward to this!

For anyone else who has anything they want to put on the forum, I have  a very good scanner that I can use to copy any photographs, pictures, slides, newspapers, negatives  and  so on. I also have access to a better scanner which can capture even the old glass photograph  slides( up t o 6"x4"). If anyone wants to make use of it , then please just contact me via the forum or my details on the council web site. I'm not always as speedy at posting stuff as people might like, as work sometimes gets in the way, but I'm always very happy to help out. As with my dealings with RSS, this can be done in complete anonymonity by post, or by direct contact.

My details are available on the Whaley council website.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 28 May 2009 10:26:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#27 Posted : 31 May 2009 10:14:42(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Good morning Frankie,

Sorry I am so late with my reply but to be honest I have no answers for you as to which fire brigade this is.

They are positioned where you say but as to dates I can only offer you the following information:

The fire-fighters are wearing Massey Shaw brass helmets which puts the photo some time after 1870 and probably before 1900 but they could have kept their helmets as they were probably not a regulated fire service.

Massey Shaw was the Chief of the London Fire Brigade from 1861 to 1891 and won an Olympic gold medal at the Paris Olympics in 1900 aged 70. The oldest man to win gold.
So there’s time for you and me yet Frankie.

Sorry I shouldn’t have said that Fedup.

R. S-S

Frankie wrote:

Gnats,

Photo taken down by the canal  by the transit shed where the iron railings are.

Fedup  
#28 Posted : 31 May 2009 19:22:21(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I think the photo is absolutely stunning, and this time I actually recognised the place the photo was taken! Like Gnats I feel that the one horse would be in
great difficulty if it had to transport all those people, but I presume they all got on just to pose for the camera. I hope so anyway!

As for you R.S-S I think it's bed with no supper! Humerous quips not allowed!
george  
#29 Posted : 02 June 2009 19:41:43(UTC)
george

Hi Gnats

One memory I have of the chip shop took place in the early 50's (1950's I mean) Queueing up outside one night I was delighted to find two sweets wrpped in tissue paper  nearly dropped on my head and then two more came.  I stood in the same place for many hours but sadly never found any more free sweets came my way, . In a conversation many years later I found the answer. Next door was a sweet shop and the lady who owned it had two daughters who had been naughty, they were sent to bed as a punishment, being annoyed they took a few sweets out of a box stored upstaires and threw them out of the window. I can only assume they must have been good after that or mum didn't want to lose her profits. 

Can someone help me to be able to increase the font size, I have trouble with this size.

george

Gnatalee  
#30 Posted : 02 June 2009 20:17:07(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi George

Regarding increasing the font size - if it is a new topic posting you get a menu bar across the top of the text box where you will find a section for text size - click the down arrow next to the box and choose "larger".

If you are replying to a posting and you are using "quick reply" - once posted, click on "edit" on the top right-hand side of the posting, highlight all the text and carry out the same procedure as above.

Love your story about the sweeties from heaven!

Gnats

Edited by user 02 June 2009 20:17:56(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

george  
#31 Posted : 03 June 2009 19:37:53(UTC)
george

Thank you Gnats for helping me to use bigger taxt, I was struggling with the small text and failed to take in what was above.

Frankie

I have been round to look at the front of the transhipment shed at the canal basin and cannot see how it can be the background to your photo of the firemen. There are three ridges for the roof but at rhe front the in the centre of the building near the top is the date stone (1832). Also the centre arch (above the water) is much lower than than the arches above the doors than in your photo. Has it been re-built?

I am trying to attach more details of how a fire was dealt with in 1934 you will see whether I am successful.

george

Jean  
#32 Posted : 07 June 2009 21:19:28(UTC)
Jean

Hi all
George has asked me (Jean) to post the following message and attachment about a fire at Leighton's shoe shop (where Footsteps is now).

This account of a fire at Leightons shoe shop 14 market St. shows how lucky we are to be living now.

George.

Jean attached the following image(s):
leightons shop fire 1934.JPG