logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonG  
#21 Posted : 01 October 2011 09:23:55(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Hi,

Maybe a picture would help to illustrate how a single roundabout would not work. I could only see two roundabouts working, but I dont think there is enough room. I do think that with lots of markings and flat circular marked centres, they could be effective at slowing people down. I've been over offset junctions down south where you have two highly marked mini roundabouts in close proximity where it was vey effective at slowing everything down. However, there was much more room there.

Road humps are awful things. Bad for the cars, and they create more noise in fact as cars slow down and speed up. I get a lot of noise from the one opposite the school as the lorries go over it in the morning - the empty ones are the worst ! You would seriously regret it if you got several road humps at Horwich End, and so would I ! The school is about as far away from me as the HE traffic lights, so I would get it from both sides.Interestingly, in Furness Vale recently, road humps were an option to try and slow traffic on Yeardsley Lane. There was unanimous rejection of the idea at a public meeting.

The other thing of course is money. The traffic lights 'work' for that junction when they are set up right, so I do not really see DCC spending money on replacing them.The issue of speeding can be tackled and has been tackled with police speedchecks in the past, and you should reraise it as an issue at the next Safer Neighbourhood Team meeting in Whaley.

On the roadmarkings - well, that is how everybody used that junction anyway. You could probably argue that the unusual markings actually slow you down as you consider how to deal with it. Adding some of Parabuilds scissors could be effective in this respect also !

Regarding the drivers and bikers who speed through it when the lights are green, I think they probably did exactly the same before the junction was resurfaced. Nothing apart from the roadmarking has changed. The police should be able to tackle this and catch some of the offenders.

One way of slowing traffic down, not mentioned so far, is to build bays which force traffic into each others path, as in the centre of Chapel. This might be a consideration just beyond the traffic lights on the Whaley side, but it could have the effect of snarling up the town in busy periods, and being ineffective at night in quiet periods, so I remain unsure about it at the moment.

Cheers

Jon.

JonG attached the following image(s):
hejunctionrb.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#22 Posted : 01 October 2011 10:11:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Jon,

You are quite right one roundabout would cause absolute chaos.

There is not room for two roundabouts and can you illustrate just how Melland’s lorries, for instance, would negotiate the turn from Macc Road to Long Hill or from Long Hill on to Chapel Road or from Buxton Road on to Macc Road?

The only one possible is from Macc Road on to Chapel Road and that is still very tight.

The control of traffic movements on the junction will not change.

Just for your information Gio an ‘off-set’ junction is exactly what it says:

Macc Road and Chapel Road are ‘off-set’ if they weren’t it would be a simple cross roads.

However, to help reduce your concerns I shall call one of my contacts at County Highways at DCC on Monday and see if I can get you the figures for accidents at the traffic lights.
Other than the recent one which destroyed the control box I can not think of anything major at all. And I have not heard the cause or background of that particular accident if indeed it was an accident.
In fact I have never seen or heard of any accidents at the junction. It is very well controlled bearing in mind what it is.

R. S-S
Norm  
#23 Posted : 01 October 2011 12:10:28(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

The advantage of lights over roundabouts is that they hold the traffic further back from the junction so allowing big things more room. With roundabouts you have to be closer to the junction so you can see what is coming. You need good visibility all round for round abouts and I am not sure how far you would you have to come out of Macc road before you can see up Long Hill, I very rarely use Macc road and when I do I let the lights do the thinking for me, anything that helps me at junctions is a bonus.

As for the new layout I can see how it works for just one car from each direction but if there is a queue I would think it would be a nightmare unless people "take turns" but I just cannot see that working. I don't mind being proven wrong because I hope these things are done because statistics prove it is right.

Norm

Edited by user 01 October 2011 13:20:55(UTC)  | Reason: Smelling pistakes

firehawk  
#24 Posted : 02 October 2011 10:10:38(UTC)
firehawk

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Hmm,

A roundabout in the middle of a set of ‘off-set’ traffic lights?

Now that is a novel idea.

Surely you can’t be proposing the removal of the traffic lights.

But if you are seriously suggesting the removal of the traffic lights where would the small painted roundabout be?

There are two possible locations for this proposed roundabout:
The first one would be directly in front of the White Horse which is opposite Chapel Road and the second would be in front of the property next door to the butchers which is opposite Macclesfield Road.

I hope I am correct in assuming those are the positions you feel are available.

If it is opposite Macc Road then the Macc Road traffic turning up Long Hill would not have too much of a problem but if it is opposite the White Horse then traffic would have to turn down towards Whaley and then perform a 180 degree turn to negotiate around this 3-4 feet painted hump.
This might be OK for a motor bike or small car but would be extremely difficult for any heavy goods vehicles and impossible for articulated lorries. In fact even if this new roundabout was situated opposite Macc Road lorries still would not be able to negotiate it

The same scenario would exist with vehicles coming down Chapel Road and wanting to turn to Whaley if the new roundabout was positioned opposite Macc Road.

The whole idea is simply ludicrous.

The traffic lights have been there for decades and will remain there for decades to come. It is the safest way to negotiate an ‘off-set’ junction by a country mile.

R. S-S

Completly agree with RSS, to put a roundabout in would increase the chances of an accident. If you are coming from Macc Road turning which ever way then you would be blind to the traffic you have to give way too ie from Long Hill the junction is very sharp and blind. Also how would an artic get up long hill from Macc Road without completly missing the roundabout.

The road markings have been done very bad but they actually steer the traffic in the safest way realy. if you are heading up Long Hill from Whaley at least the traffic turning right up Chapel Road has a clearer view of you if you did the overlap the other way then they would be blind to the traffic going up Long Hill which has right of way.

Whilst it would be nice to have an accident free junction, I think that because you are dealing with a junction that cars wenrt even thought of when it was introduced then you are never going to get the ideal situation.

Gio  
#25 Posted : 03 October 2011 12:20:30(UTC)
Gio

Man

On further observation of the off set juction and the super ariel view supplied by Jon G whom I may say has a superb diplomatic and open minded approach...I can see the problem with a roundabout..or 2 for that matter...However having had a conversation with a good customer who is a manager for the Local Highways and a furtrher chat today with a Locval Driving instructor...the word 'Inteligent Traffic Lightsd' was used a fair bit.....Myself and the 'Instructor' stud outside for awhile observing the traffic flow and he agreed that it was a case of making a quick dash accross to tthe right for Chapel when coming down long hill.  'Intelligent Lights' would observe the busy times and filter this we both thought..

sfmans  
#26 Posted : 03 October 2011 19:18:14(UTC)
sfmans

Man

However, to help reduce your concerns I shall call one of my contacts at County Highways at DCC on Monday and see if I can get you the figures for accidents at the traffic lights.
Other than the recent one which destroyed the control box I can not think of anything major at all. And I have not heard the cause or background of that particular accident if indeed it was an accident.
In fact I have never seen or heard of any accidents at the junction. It is very well controlled bearing in mind what it is.

R. S-S

By a happy coincidence CrashMap at http://www.crashmap.co.uk/ has just gone live, collating accident data from Government statistics ... and if you search for SK23 7HX (which is the White Horse) it finds three 'slight' incidents, one each for 2005, 2008 and 2010 ...
Ferni  
#27 Posted : 03 October 2011 23:50:18(UTC)
Ferni

Gio wrote:

On further observation of the off set juction and the super ariel view supplied by Jon G whom I may say has a superb diplomatic and open minded approach...I can see the problem with a roundabout..or 2 for that matter...However having had a conversation with a good customer who is a manager for the Local Highways and a furtrher chat today with a Locval Driving instructor...the word 'Inteligent Traffic Lightsd' was used a fair bit.....Myself and the 'Instructor' stud outside for awhile observing the traffic flow and he agreed that it was a case of making a quick dash accross to tthe right for Chapel when coming down long hill.  'Intelligent Lights' would observe the busy times and filter this we both thought..

points well highlighted - the cross-roads is too awkward a section to accommodate a roundabout or 2.
I'm surprised I didn't spot the obvious answer though - it was there all the time:
we have 4 sets of lights and 3 timings. Chapel Road & Macc. Road have their own timing, but the main roads - Buxton Road & Long Hill, have the same timing - yet its those which are potentially more accident prone!

As we've already got 'intelligent traffic lights for 50% of the usage, why aren't we making the most of the technology to control traffic for all directions equally ....... and safely? It shouldn't cause any more delay that having to be forced to queue behind a single vehicle which has inadvertently blocked the exit from Buxton Road to any of the other 3 directions.

Edited by user 03 October 2011 23:50:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
JonG  
#28 Posted : 05 October 2011 00:35:56(UTC)
JonG

Hi,

I was talking to Cotch, Landlord at the White Horse the other night and it turns out that we now have the latest and greatest Siemens intelligent traffic lights at that junction now, courtesy of the HGV that is believed to have wiped out the previous control box while doing a full circle in the junction. Apparently there are three sets of sensors on each approach(approx 30,50,100yrds), and the system learns on an ongoing basis the daily and hourly traffic flows at the junction, and uses algorithms to achieve the best flow. At night all traffic lights could be set to red, and as a car approaches from any direction the one to get there first will see the lights let them through as they approach.Thats rather clever, and I have to say that the flow does seem rather good at the moment.

While we may have something to thank the (alleged) lorry driver for, if anyone sees another HGV doing a full circle in that junction area again, try and get the number and details as it needs to be stamped on.They can turn in the layby up Long Hill if they wish.

Cheers

Jon.

snoopy  
#29 Posted : 05 October 2011 07:21:48(UTC)
snoopy

That sounds like good news, thanks Jon.

Can't wait to try them, usually lights are on green for ages until I get there then they turn to red.

davethescope  
#30 Posted : 05 October 2011 08:05:51(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
JonG wrote:
. At night all traffic lights could be set to red, and as a car approaches from any direction the one to get there first will see the lights let them through as they approach.Thats rather clever, and I have to say that the flow does seem rather good at the moment.

Latest technology FFS! That is how traffic lights with rubber pad sensors used to work in the 'sixties. But it is a good system and I am glad that it has been rediscovered.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#31 Posted : 05 October 2011 08:56:02(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Perhaps the lorry driver imagined a small white painted roundabout in the middle Jon.
And we’d be getting those types of accidents every week with such a roundabout. Except sometimes it wouldn’t be a control box but a person who got taken out.

Roundabouts indeed.

R. S-S
Gio  
#32 Posted : 05 October 2011 10:58:14(UTC)
Gio

Man

Thankyou Jon..that was very informative...so we do now have  'Intelligent Lights'  that's good....and yes there does seem to be more flow with the traffic....I still have worries about speeding vehicles as only yesterday a lorry passed the shop at an alarming speed coming down Long Hill toward Horwich End and it was as a chap was opening my shop door to leave with a 3 year old boy . It is a worry...Roundabout idea was just a thought to slow traffic...and not feasable...but maybe we should look at alternative deterent to stop speeding through this junction...which I have listened to and watched for 2 months now..and believe me some are doing 60 + through here...Any  constructive suggestions welcome..

Ferni  
#33 Posted : 05 October 2011 11:08:13(UTC)
Ferni

Perhaps the lorry driver imagined a small white painted roundabout in the middle Jon.

And we’d be getting those types of accidents every week with such a roundabout. Except sometimes it wouldn’t be a control box but a person who got taken out.

Roundabouts indeed.

R. S-S

I can almost hear that smug tone ....... .. a roundabout was merely a constructive suggestion: discounted upon rational discussion. Noted: the sardonic insinuation a roundabout there could encourage law breaking and possible death: I'm disappointed.

..and, ANY HGV driver who performs a U-turn on a traffic light controlled crossroads of Horwich End's proportion, should have their licence revoked immediately.. no if's, no buts.. That driver would have disregarded any road markings ( of which there were none present ) at the time  he/she performed that illegal manouevre.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Gio  
#34 Posted : 05 October 2011 11:26:05(UTC)
Gio

Man

Thankyou Ferni...it's a bit like having a classroom with students and brainstorming ideas if we all focused soley on ridiculing ideas and comments nothing positive would come through...so it's better to keep focus and encourage debate rather than  get bogged down with poking fun..Something I learned a long time ago

High Peak Harry  
#35 Posted : 17 October 2011 14:58:05(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Roundabouts indeed.

R. S-S

I think you'll find that in Poynton they are removing the traffic lights to improve the flow. Now, one would assume that all councils use the same sources of data when assessing the best methods for accident prevention and traffic flow. I have been almost hit on more than one occasion at the mini roundabout in New Mills. As a very experienced driver I always approach this and others like it with care as I know there are some pillocks on the road who should send their licences back to Swansea.

Well that's my two penn'orth.
tyke  
#36 Posted : 17 October 2011 15:08:18(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Followed a Co-op Artic the other day up to the lights who did a U turn in front of me. I just thought Oh no not again.....this one made it round in (almost) one!

JonG  
#37 Posted : 17 October 2011 16:27:39(UTC)
JonG

Thanks Tyke - do you mean the lights at Horwich End, and that he did a Uturn in the middle of the crossroads! What time/day was this. I'll get onto the Coop and let their HQ know. I doubt they will be very pleased..

Time/date and numberplate would be fine. HGV's can turn further up the road in the layby if they need to.

Cheers

Jon.

tyke  
#38 Posted : 17 October 2011 21:32:29(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Yes John it was at HE Lights, no number plate, but it was marked as Somerfield, errm think it was Friday aroundr lunchtime

Norm  
#39 Posted : 24 October 2011 14:59:43(UTC)
Norm

Man

Why is the road to Fernilee closed? Result is wagons cannot get to layby even if they bothered.

Norm

G. Jackson  
#40 Posted : 24 October 2011 15:07:48(UTC)
G. Jackson

I can't see the problem with artics turning round at the traffic lights. The drivers are usually very competent. Also how would the drivers know there was room to turn 1 mile up Long Hill?