logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gio  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2011 21:40:55(UTC)
Gio

Groups: Member
Man

Is it just me..or has anyone else noticed the pathetic job done of painting the central road line markings at Horwich End.....anyone else performing work at this unprofessional level would have been dismissed or at least made to do it again. And it's unsightly....rant over!  

parabuild  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2011 21:50:25(UTC)
parabuild

Man

parabuild attached the following image(s):
streetart21.jpg
Gio  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2011 21:51:26(UTC)
Gio

Man

sorry that should be in 'General'

Gio  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2011 21:52:34(UTC)
Gio

Man

fantastic..that's how i thought it should look

Gio  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2011 21:54:36(UTC)
Gio

Man

Like the Scale models by the way...My brother and his wife are model makers for the theatre business in London.

parabuild  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2011 22:23:19(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Thank's Gio.  I imagine they model stage sets; that sounds like fun !

Gio  
#7 Posted : 26 September 2011 22:28:40(UTC)
Gio

Man

They do David ...I will show him your site when I see him next....Their work is sporadic....with 5 shows to build for in one month ..working day and night ..and then nothing for a couple of months...he keeps making noises about large Tax bills ..so must be making  some money...although cost of living is high down there..

Jonny Summers  
#8 Posted : 27 September 2011 20:28:16(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Can't say I've noticed the road marking Gio (I'll have a look tomorrow) but I have noticed that we've eventually got "our lights" back; oh the joy at not having to queue back up Macc Road for 20 minutes every night!!!
RockBanker  
#9 Posted : 28 September 2011 09:24:06(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I have to say that the turn right boxes look like an endless source of fun
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Gio  
#10 Posted : 28 September 2011 11:49:11(UTC)
Gio

Man

I don't know if I prefered it with the temporary lights....the boy racers are wizzing through at 60 + miles per hr and so are the bikers....aaah well at least there is no road rage...as yet .

Edited by user 28 September 2011 11:51:59(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gio  
#11 Posted : 28 September 2011 12:00:36(UTC)
Gio

Man

Maybe a word with councilor John G...about the possibility of implanting road ramps along this stretch as the noise is giving me a headache especially when the window is open....and that's not to mention the extra pollution coming from over revved exhausts fumes.

Ferni  
#12 Posted : 28 September 2011 19:57:37(UTC)
Ferni

Gio wrote:

Is it just me..or has anyone else noticed the pathetic job done of painting the central road line markings at Horwich End.....anyone else performing work at this unprofessional level would have been dismissed or at least made to do it again. And it's unsightly....rant over!  

pathetic,unsightly, misleading, unprofessional, incompetent... a right b&llocks made of a long overdue, much-needed, important crossroads of our village .. it was looking so promising too.

Who did we employ to design that 'head-on-crash-enticing' bit of road paint - or was it a competition at the junior schools?

Tom, on the corner ( coal merchants house ) did a better job years ago when he painted road directions on the junction.

I'm sure a solid white line just like the junction in Disley as you bear right to come over the Tops, guiding drivers to the correct position to turn up Macc. Road, would have been just as effective.

Before we read here of a fatality at Horwich End, can a review of the road marking be made please?

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
G. Jackson  
#13 Posted : 28 September 2011 20:07:56(UTC)
G. Jackson

I think the idea the road signs are trying to say are that if two cars facing each other and both want to turn right they should pass behing each other and not in front of each other. By passing in front neither can see what is coming on the other's nearside.

The painting is informative but not very good.

Edited by user 28 September 2011 20:08:34(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gio  
#14 Posted : 29 September 2011 00:19:50(UTC)
Gio

Man

I take your point Ferni and may I say Eloquent and concise....I have had a shop for 17 yrs on the roundabout in the cenre of New Mills where Union Rd meets Market st on the right and Left toward Marple and although I have seen some near misses the tiny roundabout informs you to slow down and think...and yes people  sometimes drive right over it ..mainly boy racers and people rushing and taking a chance...all that said and not one accident have I seen ...near misses with lots of rants ..but that is only when two stubborn people take a chance...The point is it slows you down..creating less chance of a fatal incident...And as mentioned people have to think about passing in front or behind at present at Horwich End..but I myself have had to chance pulling over in the Chapel direction while vehicles hurtle towards you.....if they had seen the roundabout warning uo ahead ..maybe ..just maybe they would slow down. Ok  I've made my point..By the way the roundabout I mention for those unaware of the layout is a small 3-4 foot circular hump in the road..but it works.

nce  
#15 Posted : 29 September 2011 09:31:42(UTC)
nce

Gio, be careful what you wish for. Speed bumps are notorious for creating MORE noise when negotiated by articulated lorries and cement trucks. If anyone stuck them at the back of my house on Chapel Road where people regularly speed, I would want a very, very good explanation for it as it's hardly an accident black spot.

Gio  
#16 Posted : 29 September 2011 10:38:16(UTC)
Gio

Man

Good point Nce....I think I prefer the subtle roundabout idea unless anyone else comes up with something.

Ferni  
#17 Posted : 29 September 2011 17:58:29(UTC)
Ferni

Gio - I agree fully with the suggestion that even a painted roundabout would offer guidance to hapless drivers ( even I have lost my 'hap' at the current road markings ), who now see something which the-artist-former-known-as-Prince could possibly have devised !
In fact, prior to you starting this thread, I've been making drawings of how it could be improved upon.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Gio  
#18 Posted : 30 September 2011 01:06:47(UTC)
Gio

Man

That's brilliant Ferni..and I think there is definitely enough space on that junction..puzzles me as to why it hasn't been done  in past Be interested to see your drawings and how we can move forward on this as I really do think an accident is about to happen..god forbid!

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 30 September 2011 16:21:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hmm,

A roundabout in the middle of a set of ‘off-set’ traffic lights?

Now that is a novel idea.

Surely you can’t be proposing the removal of the traffic lights.

But if you are seriously suggesting the removal of the traffic lights where would the small painted roundabout be?

There are two possible locations for this proposed roundabout:
The first one would be directly in front of the White Horse which is opposite Chapel Road and the second would be in front of the property next door to the butchers which is opposite Macclesfield Road.

I hope I am correct in assuming those are the positions you feel are available.

If it is opposite Macc Road then the Macc Road traffic turning up Long Hill would not have too much of a problem but if it is opposite the White Horse then traffic would have to turn down towards Whaley and then perform a 180 degree turn to negotiate around this 3-4 feet painted hump.
This might be OK for a motor bike or small car but would be extremely difficult for any heavy goods vehicles and impossible for articulated lorries. In fact even if this new roundabout was situated opposite Macc Road lorries still would not be able to negotiate it

The same scenario would exist with vehicles coming down Chapel Road and wanting to turn to Whaley if the new roundabout was positioned opposite Macc Road.

The whole idea is simply ludicrous.

The traffic lights have been there for decades and will remain there for decades to come. It is the safest way to negotiate an ‘off-set’ junction by a country mile.

R. S-S

Gio  
#20 Posted : 01 October 2011 00:29:46(UTC)
Gio

Man

Good evening  R s s...Firstly can I say You make your point well....But you seem a tad bogged down by 'off Set' . a/ Does a roundabout only have to exist in a non 'off set' situation?   b/   Because it has been that way for years ..does it make it  right and best. c/ Ludicrous you may think..but it is a starting point for change and it seems some other people seem uncomfortable with it also..which begs debate. d/ you assume it would have to be an awkward hump...on looking closer at the New Mills Roundabout today where I run a business 12 feet away fom 'it' The offending Hump is not  a hump at all thus making it posssible for all the large lorries to drive slowly across it all  day.  I am no road layout expert but I think this junction is dangerous noisey and not thought through probably due to funding. When I ask about the pavements and lumpy roads in New Mills the answer is always lack of funding! Rant over ..