logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jake  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2009 09:27:19(UTC)

Groups: Guest

For those of you who went down to The Corner Shop first thing this morning and were turned away I can let you into a secret "The Tills Have Gone Down".

I am told the reason for this is that they did a global software upgrade overnight and it has obviously worked a dream as it has closed all Tesco stores throughout the uk and maybe further afield.

Please don't start to panic as the best brain within Tesco is now trying to fix it but we have no idea how long it will take.

I find it strange that when I was involved in this sort of thing we always ensured that the old software that was being upgraded was on back up so if the upgrade failed the old software could be switched back in within minutes.

Hey Ho what a wonderful word we live in, but I can guarantee you somebody will be getting their backside kicked for this one.

Jake 

CllrJonG  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2009 09:39:26(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Unbelievable !!

That's going to cost Tesco a few bob!!  I think i can hear the kicking from here, or maybe thats the sound of the shares tumbling.

On the bright side, if it carries on for a few hours, there may be some  good offers on perishable items when they reopen.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Jake  
#3 Posted : 11 May 2009 09:45:50(UTC)

Hey go easy now, my wife and I have some of those shares.

Jake
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2009 11:10:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Jon,

I hope you are not for one moment suggesting that our leader King Jake is a perishable item and may be purchased later this day for much lower than his true worth.
You know how attempts at comedy upset some of a more delicate disposition on here.

Maybe you should withdraw or clarify exactly what you mean. Heaven forbid the three stooges should metamorphosise into the Marx Brothers.

R. S. S

CllrJonG wrote:

Unbelievable !!

That's going to cost Tesco a few bob!!  I think i can hear the kicking from here, or maybe thats the sound of the shares tumbling.

On the bright side, if it carries on for a few hours, there may be some  good offers on perishable items when they reopen.

Cheers

Jon.

CllrJonG  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2009 11:48:17(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Ha,

No I wasn't when I wrote it. However, on Thursday I believe Jakes sell-by date really does expire, as his term of office comes to an end. He will be replaced by Cllr Barrie Taylor.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 11 May 2009 18:45:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Jake  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2009 12:51:53(UTC)

The good news is that the tills came back on about 10.00am then went down again about half and hour later, life was brought back to normality by about 11.00am, so spend, spend, spend, we need to make up the short fall, just think about my share values please.

Tesco must have lost millions in turnover and it will make a small dent in their Billions of pounds worth of profit bang goes my free lunch.

I notice some comments about the fact I may be perishable and can be purchased cheap. I am well worn around the edges these days and certainly not as agile as I used to be, however I can't be traded in any form anyway, who in their right mind would want me, I'm as mad as a hatter.

I don’t know if any of you have noticed but I have changed the picture on my profile, it is the motor yacht “Amadeus” 75 million Euros worth. I would just like to make sure that you know it is not mine, unlike some of our esteemed Members of Parliament I have not been cooking the books and fiddling my Council expenses. I just thought that as I hand over the Chairmanship to Barrie Taylor on Thursday it would be inappropriate from now on to have a picture of me wearing the chain of office.

So loyal subjects, my abdication is fast approaching, all haill the new King Barrie.

Jake

Edited by user 11 May 2009 12:52:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Elusive  
#7 Posted : 11 May 2009 17:42:47(UTC)
Elusive

Only 67 out of 2184 stores were affected, so I doubt Millions have been lost. Also, its not possible to revert back to the "old software" "within a couple of minutes" on systems as complex as the ones Tescos use.
Jake  
#8 Posted : 11 May 2009 18:34:40(UTC)

Thanks for correcting me on these points but at the time it happened I was told by the store manager the software problem was Global and all uk stores were affected.

I can only take your world on the complex software but it is strange that their stock control is an antique DOS system which does have some unique characteristics.

Jake
Fedup  
#9 Posted : 11 May 2009 19:38:36(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Just to let you know, King Jake, that I was prewarned this a.m. re the Corner Shop's problems, so went to Morrisons instead!! No problems there!

I am not sure about your new picture. I can understand your reasons for changing it, (ah, the end of an era!), but I think I prefer the one of you where you're wearing my cat! Go on, I dare you!
Jake  
#10 Posted : 11 May 2009 20:45:51(UTC)

Who dares wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What cat????????????

Traitor!!!!!!!!!!!! Fancy going to Morrisons I may have to cut back on my expenditure now

Jake
Fedup  
#11 Posted : 11 May 2009 22:54:10(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hoorah for you King Jake! And such a pleasure for me to have a constant reminder of poor old Ginger!

As for Morrisons, I have to say they do have a wonderful selection of bread. Tesco, take note! I may have to change my shopping habits and go there more often - thus impoverishing King Jake even more! Traitor? - me???