logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2013 14:02:39(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello fellow historians and you know who you are and you know who I mean. I have already contacted some of you so I apologize to the ones that I have been unable to contact.

The WB forum has been polluted for a very long time now and we think a new start would be in the best interests of anyone who wishes to discuss or learn about historical Whaley in a polite and professional manner.

Others such as Digger, Towpath Tommy who do not have a lot to contribute on the history of WB but enjoy reading the tales would be most welcome.

JonG will, we hope, also contribute in the same constructive and comical manner he has done on here.

These are topics for the immediate future and all will be backed up with newspaper reports at the time and photographs where available:

1. Coal mines and miners, accidents and treatment of workers by employers at the time.

2. Fernilee.

3. Taxal.

4. Churches.

5. Old buildings and street scenes.

6. WB Friendly Societies.

7. Grimshawes of Errwood.

8. Industry: Blandola, Botany, CPA/ Printworks (Whaley Hall) Goyt Mill, Meveril, Wireworks.

9. Jodrell Family.

10. Local families.

11. Mechanics Institute and Bowling Club.

12. N W W.

13. Pickfords

14. The Railway from first beginnings to the Buxton extension.

15. Dickie’s Skull and the terror it caused.

16. Crimes.

17. Miscellaneous events about WB and its people.

18. Surrounding areas such as Buggy, Furness, Dove Holes, Chapel, Buxton and so on.

A link to the new web site will be put on here in the next week or so (provided that this is not deleted on here) to let you know where these topics will be able to be viewed but you will need to join that site (just as you joined this one) to read these historical documents and stories. It will be a site closely monitored so that nobody will be able to mess about with photos and be abusive.

Snoopy you are most welcome by the way and I hope to see you soon. In fact almost everybody will be most welcome.

I especially look forward to seeing you George.

R. S-S

buggyite  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2013 14:43:36(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Sorry RSS, but I disagree with this, if I read your description correctly.

When the History section is working as it should (and yes, there are some current issues), one of the best things about it is that extra information or answers to questions can come from unexpected sources, and in this way the sum total of knowledge gets increased far more.

If I understand your proposal properly, it would be another forum with membership by invite or approval; and therefore you have then lost this opportunity for the provision of new information, not known by the "faithful few" to be available.

Furthermore, as a lot of the subjects of interest have been at least partially been covered in this forum, then a lot of unnecessary work is required in duplicating all that into the new forum in order to retain the "one-stop-shop" concept for finding out about Whaley History.

I am of the opinion that the present forum, despite its various problems, is the best place to stay. A bit like democracy - not perfect, but the best thing we have.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
THE CROW  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2013 16:43:48(UTC)
THE CROW

I completely agree with Buggyite,this stinks of elitism.Basically what your saying is we're better than you,but we might let you have a read,rotten,rotten,rotten.I for one will not be even contemplating looking at this new site.

george  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2013 16:48:18(UTC)
george

I agree with buggyite.

george

tyke  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2013 17:20:08(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Agree with Buggyite totally. There recent problems on this forum are seemingly not as black and white as some would perhaps have us believe. I think all the moderators should get together and find some common ground and listen to all the grievances away from this forum. If it was up to me (which it isnt) my ideal would be to have a natter over a pint or two..... far more civilised!
RockBanker  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2013 17:43:23(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I too agree with Buggyite's well chosen words.

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
High Peak Harry  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2013 18:51:23(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I like to think I am quite moderate in my views. However, a lot of the historical animosity on here stems from the duckpond thread and the involvement of a local councillor. Some have taken one side, others have taken the other. It would appear to me that some supposedly venerable members of the local community think that they are more equal than others. It's all rather Orwellian whatever way you look at it. To use the vernacular on another thread, some people have egg on their face, after much arguing to the contrary.
Norm  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2013 19:11:54(UTC)
Norm

Man

Well, what a to do.

I have just spoken to R.S-S and he has filled me in with what has happened. Today I believe at least two people more or less put posts on here saying who R.S-S is, and when he told me who I was not surprised. I thought that was against forum rules.

Everyone knows that for the last two years his threads have been ruined by trolls and I think today was the last straw. Whether a new forum starts is a bit irrelevant, what is more important he is not going to post here again. I know I will be involved in creating a forum since he has talked about it for a few months and I have always said no, or it would be the last resort.

He is very passionate in the information he holds about Whaley history but I think what happens to his threads nearly "makes him cry", not really but I hope you understand what I mean and can see it from his point of view. He is sick and tired of the sniping (think that's how you spell it). He started a new log a few weeks ago but that was removed when two trolls came on and it degenerated. Personally I would not have removed the thread, I would have deleted all the posts from, and including, the post put on a Saturday night that diverted what the thread was about. It dug up the Duck Pond again, so to speak.

So I now seem to be in the middle, I seem to agree with most of the posts on this thread. I realise that that seems like I am sitting on the fence and I suppose I am.

The bottom line is that some people on this forum, and they know who they are have got rid of R.S-S. No pathetic denials can change that. They also have more or less got rid of me because I am not from Whaley, a sad reflection of Whaley.

These are my first impressions, I will have a longer think about how this can progress to everyone's satisfaction but I think there maybe total peace in the Middle East before that happens.

Edited by user 29 January 2013 19:15:47(UTC)  | Reason: Smelling pistakes

buggyite  
#9 Posted : 30 January 2013 11:26:30(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Given the latest carp from umtal1 in the history folder, I now take back everything I said in my initial post.

Norm, R. S-S., I'm a historian, get me out of here!

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
JonG  
#10 Posted : 30 January 2013 12:18:24(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

I have removed those posts.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 30 January 2013 13:26:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
RockBanker  
#11 Posted : 30 January 2013 14:41:35(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I am sure I am one of the many who greatly appreciate and enjoy the  photographs and historical information that RSS has posted on this forum over the years, and I am greatly saddened that he is so distressed over the actions of a few.

He of course must take whatever action he feels appropriate. The forum will be much poorer without his presence.
Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
towpath tommy  
#12 Posted : 30 January 2013 15:07:49(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

I couldnt agree more RockBanker - WE have lost a brilliant contributor for the sake of placating an idiot! The idiot should have been barred from the site.
Towpath Tommy ( Dave Peart ) thinks a day without laughter is a day wasted
george  
#13 Posted : 30 January 2013 15:39:29(UTC)
george

I agree with rockbanker, it is so sad RSS is having a bad time he has certainly made a tremendous contribution to the forum and will be very much missed. I hope he will soon be feeling much better and getting stronger. It is hard to believe the forum has come to this.

george 

JonG  
#14 Posted : 30 January 2013 16:06:51(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

TPT - One individual was barred , barred and barred again. It is not just one person though who has determined to hound people off the forum and attempt to ruin the local history side for their own intentions.  Some of the people on this forum, supposedly sensible people, should be ashamed of their actions.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
davethescope  
#15 Posted : 30 January 2013 17:40:13(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
towpath tommy wrote:
I couldnt agree more RockBanker - WE have lost a brilliant contributor for the sake of placating an idiot! The idiot should have been barred from the site.
M

But how can you bar someone if you allow anonymous contributions

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
towpath tommy  
#16 Posted : 30 January 2013 17:47:11(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Well if thats the case JonG its probably better if dont take part any more please remove me and all my details from this forum.
Towpath Tommy ( Dave Peart ) thinks a day without laughter is a day wasted
buggyite  
#17 Posted : 30 January 2013 18:35:23(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Towpath Tommy,

I spoke to R.S-S directly yesterday evening, and I can confirm that he has been worn down and effectively hounded out by more than just the banned poster that JonG referred to. The person that JonG referred to has had multiple user identities, because he keeps getting barred, but was originally  u m t a l i , and was most recently wonderwhy and dorris.

I suspect that RSS and others may think that at least one of the other "hounders-out" were also alternate identities of  u m t a l i  , but I am not convinced by this as I can usually recognise his style immediately, and the other problematical IDs don't have his "signature" style.

Like everyone else, I am extremely sorry that RSS has decided not to continue in here, but having spoken to him, I understand and  respect his decision, so won't be trying to persuade him to reconsider.

I know  that **   will be back under a new identity within the next 2 weeks on his usual disruptive mission, should anyone bother to take up the role of introducing new historical topics, and I think I will continue to harangue him if he does. Especially if he posts such errant nonsense as he did regarding the "lime-house" building on the canal wharf. Eventually I will be barred for being abusive to him, but if so, I'll not be back under a new name!

Edited by user 30 January 2013 18:37:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
Horwich Ender  
#18 Posted : 30 January 2013 19:00:48(UTC)
Horwich Ender

This is another example of a situation that is far too common where the minority spoil it for the majority.

If R. S-S does leave it will be a very sad day for this forum.

MrTrueman  
#19 Posted : 30 January 2013 20:34:01(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

The history forum has now been made a moderated forum.  This means your post will not appear until a moderator has checked the content and made the post live.

This will cause a slight delay in a new posts appearing but should stop the rubbish posts from spoiling the true content.

Leaving now

Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
Norm  
#20 Posted : 30 January 2013 20:35:59(UTC)
Norm

Man

MrTrueman wrote:

The history forum has now been made a moderated forum.  This means your post will not appear until a moderator has checked the content and made the post live.

This will cause a slight delay in a new posts appearing but should stop the rubbish posts from spoiling the true content.

Leaving now