logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Horwich Ender  
#1 Posted : 30 January 2013 21:10:34(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good evening

I have been reading with interest with thread started by buggyite “More sniping in the history section (bits and bobs thread)” where the subject of forum anonymity has been discussed. I tried to post a reply but was unable to do so because the thread has been locked!

The topic of whether members should be forced to reveal their true identity is an interesting one which merits debate.

Prospective councillor NevClarke initially suggested it maybe time to open up the debate again but didn't think he was the right person to start it. One hour forty five minutes later, prospective councillor BarryRudd picked up the baton and stated “Anonymity must end on this forum.”

The response before the thread was locked:

Two members are strongly opposed to anonymity.

One member appears to be confused and changes his view with the wind. Firstly he's for anonymity, then he's against it and now he's for it. Some may say this is typical of a politician.

The majority of posters on this subject are against members revealing their true identities.

As many forum members have stated there is a very real danger in revealing your true identity on an open public discussion forum I decided to undertake some research work.

From a quick scan of recent Topic Starters it would appear there are only four forum members whose identity ( first name and surname) is revealed from their user name.

Of these four members one has indicated he would not be happy if his personal address was revealed, another member has made a recent post but has not specifically commented on this subject and another member has not posted recently.

The only forum member who appears to be very comfortable with being open about his identity is BarryRudd so I decided to do a quick internet search on him to see what information could be obtained and what dangers, if any, the information could pose.

The results of the search are as follows:

He doesn't live in Whaley Bridge.

His address is 8 *o**y **a* **y*n** c***h*** ***2 **A.

Middle name is **l***m

Date of Birth is 2*/*u**/1*5*

Telephone No.s 0***6 *5***3 and 0***5 8**9*8

email address **r**@**b*l**.co.uk

His car electronics business is *o***e*

He is an ex-professional soldier

He likes live music, the Purple Pakora, good beer and when drinking in Whaley can often be found in the Goyt Inn.

He originates from *r***o** Southeast London.

He is Chairman of Whaley Water Weekend

His dental records were compiled at 2 **e*n Dental Surgery, 2 **e* *a*k, *r***o**, *A* 4**.

There are numerous photo's. Here's just one example:

http://www.whaleybridge.com/2012/02/water-weekend-2012-fri-8-sat-9-sun-10-june/

It was my original intention to publish my findings in full but after listing the details I feel uncomfortable with showing them so I have concealed the exact details. Having said that, if anyone wanted the information they could find it very easily by searching themselves.

I assume Barry is comfortable with all this personal information being available on the internet but I must admit I was amazed at how much detail could be obtained within ten minutes. I don't know how accurate the information is but it's out there on the World Wide Web for all to see.

Barry is probably the only person who knows how accurate the results of the search are but this exercise has certainly reinforced my view that it is very foolhardy to reveal your identity on the internet and this is something I would recommend members don't do on this, or any other public forum.

BarryRudd  
#2 Posted : 30 January 2013 22:02:53(UTC)
BarryRudd

Absolutely no problem with that HE

Although most of that info is out of date.  You have also revealed who you are to the forum (it's known as fingerprinting) and also it's double standards whereby mulitple ID's are tolerated for some.  This post has been extensively edited as after much consultation I have decided to deal with this matter in another way.  The original text has been seen and witnessed by those that matter.

Cheers

Edited by user 31 January 2013 07:39:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

sometimes over the hill - but never far away.
NevClarke  
#3 Posted : 30 January 2013 22:23:08(UTC)
NevClarke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)

Again, just to clarify.  I have no problem with anyone googling me (you'll find plenty going back a few years)  and my telephone number is on quarterly leaflets through most Whaley doors.  Nothing to hide and nothing to fear from identity theft from what's out there.

I do object on a point of principal, next time it could be someone else, when my address is just posted on a thread randomly as it was by Benga yesterday (since moderated by one of the moderators). 

I'm, not going back into the anonymity argument.  My view has never wavered, I just respect the right of others.to remain anonymous while the rules allow it.

Edited by user 30 January 2013 22:32:57(UTC)  | Reason: Last few words missing

“It all sounds like the sort of scheme Elmer Fudd might dream up while drunk.”

Nev Clarke
clarkenev@gmail.com
snoopy  
#4 Posted : 31 January 2013 07:53:56(UTC)
snoopy

BarryRudd wrote:

Although most of that info is out of date.  You have also revealed who you are to the forum (it's known as fingerprinting) and also it's double standards whereby mulitple ID's are tolerated for some.  This post has been extensively edited as after much consultation I have decided to deal with this matter in another way.  The original text has been seen and witnessed by those that matter.

Cheers

I see this post was written last night at 10:02 and then extensively changed this morning. This is an old trick of you know who. At least Barry has admitted to changing it, probably had second thoughts in the cold light of day. How can Barry be sure it has been seen by those that matter, not everyone looks at the forum at night. Things don't change and moderating all posts, which will cause delays, will not stop this sort of behaviour.

davethescope  
#5 Posted : 31 January 2013 10:38:50(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
HE

Did you look on the profiles for real names? Whilst a use an "anonymous" username (which is actually a nickname well known in parts of Whaley) my real name and several, not very secret, detail about me are in my profile.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Horwich Ender  
#6 Posted : 31 January 2013 17:15:23(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon davethescope

I can confirm I didn't go into the profile details searching for real names. I simply looked down the list of Topic Starters to find forum members who are happy to reveal their identity via their username.

I appreciate that although your username doesn't reveal your identity you have made it very clear you are comfortable with people knowing who you are and you were, of course, one of the two members I mentioned who are strongly opposed to anonymity.

Norm  
#7 Posted : 31 January 2013 18:20:24(UTC)
Norm

Man

BarryRudd wrote:

Although most of that info is out of date.  You have also revealed who you are to the forum (it's known as fingerprinting) and also it's double standards whereby mulitple ID's are tolerated for some. 

Cheers

I certainly don't think that people who wish to remain anonymous should be named on this forum but I don't see any harm in letting people know if they know that users have multiple IDs.

So I think you should let us all know, either that or stop saying people have multiple IDs, all that does is create possibly unfounded tensions.
JonG  
#8 Posted : 31 January 2013 21:13:57(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Multiple ID's have never been allowed, and if discovered the users  are removed. If you suspect there are multiple ID's then please just  inform the moderators privately,  and let us deal with it..

Cheers

Jon. 

Edited by user 31 January 2013 21:14:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Horwich Ender  
#9 Posted : 01 February 2013 17:10:19(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon prospective councillor BarryRudd, Well Known Norm and Chairman Jon.

Barry, I can confirm I did read your post #2 but as I initially found it very strange and didn't understand the content I chose to ignore it. However, after the posts from Well Known Norm and Chairman Jon The Whaley One I have read your comments again.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for stating you have absolutely no problem with the content of my original post even though some of the information I was able to obtain is out of date. I would also like to echo Snoopy's comments and thank you for admitting you extensively edited your original late night posting. Making a post and subsequently changing it at a later date is a practice that is not encouraged on this forum as it has caused many problems in the past.

I was not viewing the forum between the hours of 10.02 PM on Wednesday 30 January and 7.39 AM on Thursday 31 January so I am unable to comment on the content of your original post.

Barry, I must admit I still don't understand your post and perhaps you would be kind enough to answer the following questions to enable me and other forum members to understand what you are trying to say:

Are you suggesting I am party to some cosy arrangement with the forum moderators whereby they allow and encourage me to post under multiple ID's?

Who did you consult with between 10.02 PM on Wednesday and 7.39 AM on Thursday ?

Who are the people that matter and have witnessed the original text?

What do you mean when you say “you will deal with this matter in another way”?

You are, of course, under no obligation to answer these questions but by doing so I think you will help clarify your position.

Norm  
#10 Posted : 01 February 2013 21:02:16(UTC)
Norm

Man

Please allow me to put my ideas forward.

Are you suggesting I am party to some cosy arrangement with the forum moderators whereby they allow and encourage me to post under multiple ID's?

Yes

Who did you consult with between 10.02 PM on Wednesday and 7.39 AM on Thursday ?

That is very difficult I cannot imagine.

Who are the people that matter and have witnessed the original text?

Again not sure, certainly not me, but I don't count I'm not from Whaley so I don't matter, like over the hill but not far away, sorry Barry, forgot we can't have more than one ID

What do you mean when you say “you will deal with this matter in another way”?

Check under you car for explosives.

Do I win a prize? I also like Snoopy's comment "in the cold light of day", I probably could shorten that to "when sober".

Norm

Edited by user 01 February 2013 21:06:28(UTC)  | Reason: Wish I could type :)

Horwich Ender  
#11 Posted : 02 February 2013 10:04:43(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good morning Well Known Norm.

Thank you for sharing your ideas.

I will leave it in the hands of Chairman Jon The Whaley One to decide whether your contribution merits a prize.

It would not be appropriate for me to make further comment until Barry has had time to answer the questions and I will wait until he has responded before saying any more.

JonG  
#12 Posted : 02 February 2013 10:11:55(UTC)
JonG

Hi,

To make it clear - There are no arrangements with any forum members to allow them to post under multiple ID's.

Cheers

Jon.

Norm  
#13 Posted : 02 February 2013 12:30:21(UTC)
Norm

Man

JonG wrote:

If you suspect there are multiple ID's then please just  inform the moderators privately,  and let us deal with it..

Yes Jon, I did not really expect Barry to put names on the site and I hope he contacts you. In fact he should contact you. The only slight problem with that is we may never know if his statement is true. I must admit I have never really noticed duplicates, except "he that can't be named" and Barry, but I don't look too hard.

snoopy  
#14 Posted : 06 February 2013 07:41:10(UTC)
snoopy

BarryRudd wrote:

You have also revealed who you are to the forum (it's known as fingerprinting) and also it's double standards whereby mulitple ID's are tolerated for some. 

BarryRudd wrote:

and regular posters becoming dumbstruck- we wait with baited breath!

Yes we do. All gone a bit quiet now.

snoopy  
#15 Posted : 08 February 2013 07:53:00(UTC)
snoopy

Still no answer. I think the statements made by BR on this thread should either be proven or retracted with an apology. I am still at a loss to know who HE really is and after extensive research (2 mins in Google) I cannot find anything called fingerprinting on forums. Posts like the second one on this thread are certainly created by trolls.  

JonG  
#16 Posted : 08 February 2013 08:54:06(UTC)
JonG

Snoopy,

This all becoming very tiresome.

Please can you try to use the forum constructively or not at all.

Cheers

Jon.

Neil A Shaw  
#17 Posted : 08 February 2013 17:34:19(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
“I can claim copyright only in myself, and occasionally in those who are either dead or have written about the same events, or who have a decent expectation of anonymity, or who are such appalling public s*** that they have forfeited their right to bitch.”

Christopher Hitchens after basing his memoirs on the Whaley Bridge Forum.
THE CROW  
#18 Posted : 08 February 2013 18:43:51(UTC)
THE CROW

I agree give it a rest Snoopy,the days of lynch mobs and pitchforks went out with flares.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 10 February 2013 22:16:07(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

There has always been a reluctance of WB Town Councillors to use the WB forum. There has never been more than 2 regular contributors from that body of fine upstanding citizens who are there to represent us. The late Jake Walsh was a wonderful contributor and an extremely funny writer. Personally I really do miss the bloke. Then JonG took up the baton and has been equally as good a contributor as Jake was; he even turned out to be a poet of some note.

But I find it almost impossible to believe that such a wonderful forum is ignored by the rest of these people. It simply beggars belief.

Sources say that most Councillors hate it. Possibly they do. Why?

Are they totally uninterested in local issues raised on the forum? Do they not wish to know about the history of this lovely village? There have been things brought to light on here that nobody knew about. People have spent many hours searching out information on the different topics; I could tell you of things that I have heard of in the past but have no evidence to back these stories up but others have found out the information and put it on the WB forum.

I have no idea how much time and effort they put in to do that but they certainly did it.

So the Town Councillors became widely known as the Whaley Eleven; a quite proper and fitting description in my opinion.

But because these shadowy figures will take no part it has been left to others to fight their corner (although they were never in a corner at any time).

So enter and take a bow Prospective Councillors Barry Rudd and Neville Clarke both jumping in at any opportunity to defend these people.

Prospective Councillor Barry Rudd gets in such a state that he has identified Horwich Ender as a multiple name user on the forum; he has identified him via a fingerprinting method that he seems to have invented. I don’t know why but I think Prospective Councillor Rudd may have ‘fingerprinted’ Horwich Ender and put two and two together and come up with the answer R. S-S.

If that is what he thinks he is completely wrong. I have no idea who Horwich Ender is but I think he is just about the best contributor to this forum.

When asked just what he is insinuating Prospective Councillor Barry disappears like a magician’s stooge.

Prospective Councillor Neville Clarke gets in such a muddle when the anonymity subject is raised.

In one thread alone he is for it then he’s against it and shortly after he is for it again. And yet he says his opinion on anonymity has never changed.

An individual has not only been tolerated by these people despite him being banned more than 20 times but he is actively encouraged by them. They must know, if they have any sense at all that this person has been out to destroy the forum and yet he has been manna from heaven for them

So I think there has been a concerted effort by these and a couple of others to close the forum down. I think they are very close to achieving their goal. So very well done to them. I would imagine that they are very proud of themselves and it could be just the first step on to the Council ladder and a great addition to their CV’s.

So let us stand and raise a glass and certainly a round of applause is called for.

I suppose they would call it democracy. I would call it something else.

R. S-S

Edited by moderator 10 February 2013 22:31:03(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#20 Posted : 11 February 2013 07:28:14(UTC)
snoopy

JonG wrote:

Snoopy,

This all becoming very tiresome.

Please can you try to use the forum constructively or not at all.

Cheers

Jon.

Well what an interesting weekend. Yesterday I was sent a pm on another forum which I read this morning. It filled me in on what has been happening here and makes me agree with R.S-S's last post. It also mentioned another history forum which looks interesting.

So Jon you think my post is not constructive compared with other posts on this thread, especially post number 2? We can see where you are coming from. So to please you all, even CROW, I will give it a rest, going to pastures anew where I hope politics does not come into it. Politics, and people who delve in such matters have ruined this forum. You can stew in your own filth.

Bye.