logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kippax  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2013 10:37:23(UTC)
Kippax

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Is anyone else fed up with teachers in this country? The NUT and NASUWT are now saying teachers in Derbyshire schools will walk out on October 1 because they aren't happy with their pay, pensions and workloads. This is apparantly what they aren't happy with:-

Pay - Minimum wage = £21,804 p.a (£15.97 per hour)
                                    This rises to £31,868 depending on length of service.

Pension - A defined benefits company pension scheme.

Workload - Required to work 195 days per year.
                   Full pay if off work sick.
                   13 weeks fully paid holiday

If you compare this with a soldier serving in Afghanistan it's an absolute joke. It's becoming increasingly evident that teachers don't live in the real world. They couldn't care less about the effect their actions will have on children and parents as their sole priority is ensuring their cosy little bubble of educational bliss is protected. 

pensionman  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2013 13:11:34(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
'Workload - Required to work 195 days per year'- guaging by your ignorance did you attend  school on the other 170 days? What an ill-thought out comment, teachers work extremely hard & do not have a cozy little bubble- how ignorant you show yourself to be.
davethescope  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2013 18:03:01(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Must say that I would rather face the Taliban than the lower fifth at St Bludgeons. Comparing the pay of a teacher with that of a squaddie isn't fair. You should compare it with that of an officer or NCO, which is comparable. A 2nd lieutenant in the infantry is paid £30K raising to £38K for a Captain (which is a fairly junior rank); a Sergeant 33K.     Soldiers also have a good pension scheme and get additional pay when on active service.

And educating the next generation is a rather more useful job and a much bigger contribution to society than killing Afghanis.

Edited by user 16 September 2013 19:38:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Jonny Summers  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2013 19:58:32(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The problem I have about this strike announcement, and all the other times that teachers strike or threaten to strike, is that they always claim to have the students interests at heart! If we ever try to take our children out of school we are told how damaging it will be, and how few days teaching each year they actually have!!! Teachers get decent pay, 13 weeks paid holiday each year, and a very generous pension for such a small percentage contribution. People in the private sector can only dream at that!!!
davethescope  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2013 21:02:14(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Jonny Summers Go to Quoted Post
Teachers get decent pay, 13 weeks paid holiday each year, and a very generous pension for such a small percentage contribution. People in the private sector can only dream at that!!!

Amazing that everyone in the private sector aren't retraining as teachers.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Athena  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2013 11:14:17(UTC)
Athena

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pensionman Go to Quoted Post
'Workload - Required to work 195 days per year'- guaging by your ignorance did you attend  school on the other 170 days? 

I'm sorry pensionman but I don't understand your comment. Please explain yourself.

pensionman  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2013 11:34:58(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I was implying he never attended school, as the 170 days are holidays when school is closed, hence lack of education/ignorance.
Jack  
#8 Posted : 23 September 2013 11:32:55(UTC)
Jack

Originally Posted by: davethescope Go to Quoted Post
Must say that I would rather face the Taliban than the lower fifth at St Bludgeons. 

What a pathetic statement. I dont think the friends and families of the soldiers who have lost their lives serving their country in Afghanistan would agree. 

Whaley Wanderer  
#9 Posted : 23 September 2013 15:39:45(UTC)
Whaley Wanderer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Kippax Go to Quoted Post

Is anyone else fed up with teachers in this country? The NUT and NASUWT are now saying teachers in Derbyshire schools will walk out on October 1 because they aren't happy with their pay, pensions and workloads. This is apparantly what they aren't happy with:-

Pay - Minimum wage = £21,804 p.a (£15.97 per hour)

This rises to £31,868 depending on length of service.

This is actually just the main payscale. When a decent teacher reaches this they will then Go on to the upper pay scale . Also when they strike they only lose 1/365th of their annual salary rather than 1 working days pay.

Good teachers work damn hard but which professions don't? So yes I am also fed up with those teachers who are striking - their final salary scheme might be changing and not be as lucrative as it once was, but it is a final salary scheme - so very much better than most of the population have.
davethescope  
#10 Posted : 23 September 2013 18:39:33(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Jack Go to Quoted Post
What a pathetic statement.

It  might be pathetic but is is literally true.   Given the choice of being a school teacher or joining the military I would unhesitatingly plump for the latter.   Indeed when I was made  redundant 40 odd years ago and the job centre suggested that I should retrain as a teacher,I instead applied for a short service commission in the Navy.  Fortunately a more appropriate job came up before I had taken the shilling.

Quote:
I dont think the friends and families of the soldiers who have lost their lives serving their country in Afghanistan would agree. 

Perhaps not.  But conscription ended fifty years ago.   Anyone joining the military must be aware that it is a very dangerous and modestly paid job.
Whaley Laner  
#11 Posted : 29 September 2013 12:20:59(UTC)
Whaley Laner

It's a disgrace that Chapel High School is closed on Tuesday due to industrial action. It's ok for teachers to shut the school when it suits them but if you ask to have your child taken out of school for a holiday during term time all hell breaks loose. Teachers are living on a different planet to the rest of the country and are quickly losing the respect of the general public. Full time firefighters are just as bad. They have the most sort after mainstream job in Britain but still they go on strike because their gold plated pension scheme is very slowly being brought into line with the rest of the working population. Retained firefighters on the other hand do a tremendous job and I have nothing but admiration for them protecting the public but at the same time providing for themselves.
Horwich Ender  
#12 Posted : 01 October 2013 17:03:00(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Jack  
#13 Posted : 11 October 2013 09:59:21(UTC)
Jack

The  pay and conditions of british soldiers are a disgrace but the way to solve this is to improve them to those of teachers not to reduce teachers benefits to those of soldiers
Whaley Laner  
#14 Posted : 12 October 2013 11:28:11(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Originally Posted by: Jack Go to Quoted Post
The  pay and conditions of british soldiers are a disgrace but the way to solve this is to improve them to those of teachers not to reduce teachers benefits to those of soldiers

How do you pay for these improved benefits? The policy of the Labour government of Tax, Spend and Waste has bled this country dry. Tough decisions have to be taken before Britain gets in the same state as France, Spain, Greece, Italy, Portugal and Ireland.
Jonny Summers  
#15 Posted : 13 October 2013 10:36:56(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Seems to me that all of these public sector occupations that expect to retire before most of us, on better pensions than most of us, after paying in less than us, should wake up & look around at the state of the economy. Surely the best way to make a level field is to close all public sector pension funds. Then teachers etc could pay into a private pension fund, make plans to retire at whatever age they would like, and pay the going rate.....just like most of us!!!
davethescope  
#16 Posted : 13 October 2013 11:04:19(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

I have never subscribed to the view that the best way to "level the playing field" is to push every one down to the lowest level.    Perhaps a better way is to insist that all employers offer a scheme comparable to the public sector schemes.

Edited by user 13 October 2013 11:07:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked davethescope for this useful post.
John Landis on 13/10/2013(UTC)
Whaley Laner  
#17 Posted : 13 October 2013 12:37:54(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Originally Posted by: davethescope Go to Quoted Post
I have never subscribed to the view that the best way to "level the playing field" is to push every one down to the lowest level.    Perhaps a better way is to insist that all employers offer a scheme comparable to the public sector schemes.

Davethescope's post must win the award for the most ill thought comment to appear on this forum. It's the sort of statement Ed Balls would make only to retract it days later when he's told it's not affordable. Baring in mind there are about 5 million employees currently in UK public sector pension schemes and the annual cost to the taxpayer is about £16 billion, how do you propose to pay for pushing everyone up to the highest level?
davethescope  
#18 Posted : 13 October 2013 16:17:54(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Whaley Laner Go to Quoted Post
Davethescope's post must win the award for the most ill thought comment to appear on this forum

Oh no.  Nowhere as ill thought out as the original post :-)   My point is that we should aspire to give everyone a decent pension rather than a piss poor one.  Whether that is achievable is as much a matter of political will as of economics.

Quote:
Baring in mind there are about 5 million employees currently in UK public sector pension schemes and the annual cost to the taxpayer is about £16 billion, how do you propose to pay for pushing everyone up to the highest level?

On those figures the average pension cost is about £3,200 pa on an average salary of, about £29,000.  So that is 11% of salary.  The new workplace pension scheme   https://www.gov.uk/workplace-pensions/what-you-your-employer-and-the-government-pay  will, by 2018 , see 8% of salary going into the pension.   Not quite up to the same level but in the same ball park.

And I think you meant bearing not baring.  Maybe there is some justification for saying that English teachers are not earning their salary. :-)
thanks 1 user thanked davethescope for this useful post.
John Landis on 13/10/2013(UTC)
Jonny Summers  
#19 Posted : 13 October 2013 18:57:47(UTC)
Jonny Summers

According to figures from the Office for National Statistics, calculations show that a mid-ranking teacher on £32,000 a year will receive a final salary pension that is the equivalent of having built up a £500,000 pension pot.
This is 20 times higher than the average private sector scheme, Private sector workers would have to save more than 20 per cent of their salaries for 40 years – more than £500 a month for a similarly paid person — to amass the same amount in a defined contribution pension.
dougie  
#20 Posted : 16 October 2013 09:46:14(UTC)
dougie

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
I had a 14 yr military career that finished on redundancy. I served in Northern Ireland, South Armagh, the Balkans, and the first Gulf War. Then, as now, I knew the risks and conditions. Then, as now, had I had a change in ideology, no one would have tied me to a post and shot me,...it is not 1916. Opinions on what we are doing in Afghanistan vary. Personnel enlisting now, understand that serving there for a certain salary is a very real possibility. They have a degree of an excellent pension scheme factored into their salary.

To compare them to teachers, whom it could be argued that our nations future also depends, is ridiculous. Perhaps if we took time to look at what being a teacher actually entails instead of posturing with a Daily Mailesque attitude, then their issues would be greater understood. To cite that they, the teachers, have a lack of concern for the children is also farcical, when we know that in most cases this centres around irresponsible parenting with those who live so far beyond there means that they cannot provide a days childcare for the children that they chose to have? .........maybe if we are so concerned about our childrens futures, then a bit of empathy with those tasked to give them a vital springboard into adult life wouldn't go amiss? If we want quality, as in healthcare, sadly, we may just have to pay for it.
thanks 1 user thanked dougie for this useful post.
John Landis on 16/10/2013(UTC)