logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#21 Posted : 17 August 2009 21:03:33(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

More to the point, if you carry on as you are doing, how long will you last!!?

Edited by user 17 August 2009 21:04:41(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#22 Posted : 18 August 2009 16:59:43(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

R.S-S.

I refer your earlier post regarding William Wood who was removed from the scene and taken by hand cart to a local drinking establishment.   Following the tragic accident at Walker Pit  (Brick Barn) on the 12th October1905 where three men lost their lives. The three bodies were taken to the White Horse where an inquest  took place into the cause of the tragic accident.                

Edited by user 18 August 2009 17:00:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#23 Posted : 18 August 2009 18:35:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Evening Frankie,

This is very interesting information. I know of the three unfortunate souls who perished on that fateful day but I was unaware that they were taken to the pub.

How times have changed: nowadays we tend to go to a local pub after the funeral and sit around and have a talk about our recently departed mate. In those far off days it seems that it was the norm to take the corpses with you for a drink.

Can you imagine it? No, I’m saying no more I shall be in trouble with someone I’m sure. I nearly said somebody; thank goodness I didn’t.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#24 Posted : 24 August 2009 00:49:04(UTC)
G. Jackson

If you are not allowed to mention the real of the male hen pub then how am I supposed to relate to you how much I enjoyed my pint of Coors in the pub at Sheldon. at Sunday lunchtime. P.S.  the buggy is going well.

Edited by user 24 August 2009 14:52:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Scuba Man  
#25 Posted : 29 August 2009 17:21:39(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good afternoon R. S-S

How did your investigations go regarding The Sycamore Pub up Eccles Road? The building is opposite the turning which takes you to Buxworth. The house is called “Sycamore” and is clearly marked and a visit will tell you it would have been quite a large pub in it's time.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#26 Posted : 29 August 2009 17:47:45(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Scuba Man,

I did indeed start to make investigations into the Sycamore but events have rather overtaken me this week if you have been keeping up. I have spent a wet week up the Goyt Valley thanks to Bob Bowker.

But my initial investigations have revealed there may have been a hotel in that area but not where you say. Your post has me intrigued and further investigations are most certainly required. I have a little more time on my hands the next few days so leave it with me.

However, The Drum and Monkey was not in the position you describe to me now but many thanks anyway.

Please keep in touch Scuba man.

R.S-S
G. Jackson  
#27 Posted : 30 August 2009 01:46:08(UTC)
G. Jackson

I remember going round the deserted Sycamore Hotel in about 1960 it was very delapidated and dangerous. The private house called the Sycamore is  on the same spot. The little road opposite that goes over the hill to Bugsworth past the Coolham (now a house but in my day a farm) has no name to my knowledge but the house on the left near the bottom at the Sycamore end used to belong to Elis Hodson (farmer of the Hodson dynasty) and was called "The Building" ( ask any of the Hodsons where The Building was and they will confirm this ) this was still a farm outbuilding 30 years ago but is now a nice house. When the dynasty had sheep shearing or dipping or lambing or if they had something to store they would meet there. Many a packed sandwich, bottle of cold tea and a pipe of Thick Twist has been had there, If only walls could talk- they could tell you who I am.

Edited by user 31 August 2009 00:53:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#28 Posted : 31 August 2009 09:30:41(UTC)
G. Jackson

The small lane described previously has only recently ( my time scale) been tarmaced. In the 50s it was a very rough cart track. The rain would wash great ruts in the road surface on the Bugsworth end and you couldn't drive past the Coolham farmhouse.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#29 Posted : 31 August 2009 12:21:55(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Morning to you Scuba Man,

Before I start my investigations one thing I would say in favour of your theory is that the road upon which your Sycamore Hotel stands was the main turnpike road from Whaley to Chapel and the Sycamore is situated not far from the Toll House, Horwich Lodge.

It is quite inconceivable that there would not be a refreshment house on that road so I am leaning, at quite an uncomfortable angle I might add, towards you being correct. This has been a great piece of information and merits far more enquiries.

For those interested, if anyone is, I will put a photo of Horwich Lodge below which as I say was the Toll House for that road.
It is still there today and the house sign takes the form of a large copper penny signifying the toll payable.

It bears all the hallmarks of a toll house with the slice cut off so that on the corner you have two 45 degree angles instead of one 90 degree angle and of course this leads to a hipped roof section.
The same feature is on the first house on Whaley Lane and I believe that to be a Toll House although I have no firm evidence other than its appearance.

R. S-S

WB0208B Horwich Lodge by you.

G. Jackson  
#30 Posted : 31 August 2009 18:21:36(UTC)
G. Jackson

Another cracking photograph Mr. Stephenson-Smythe, you do us proud. I don't know the men in the photograph but I remember the dog.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#31 Posted : 31 August 2009 18:59:56(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hmm,

I’m not sure what to make of you Mr Jackson.
I also know that dog’s name so I will take you more seriously if you can name that dog’s name in one.
I await your reply with interest.

In the meantime here is another photo of the Toll House that is Horwich Lodge and I am fairly sure you will remember this gentleman.

And before anyone starts it is not the famous Councillor Jake Walsh although I do see the similarities.

Neither is it the splendid fellow Peter Hodgson who was born there but again I can see the likeness.

R. S-S

WB0340 Horwich Lodge by you.

Gnatalee  
#32 Posted : 31 August 2009 19:21:25(UTC)
Gnatalee

Joe Twigg ? 

(Is there a prize for this answer?  If so, I may try harder ! )

Gnats

Edited by user 31 August 2009 19:24:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

G. Jackson  
#33 Posted : 31 August 2009 20:04:38(UTC)
G. Jackson

Again, another brilliant photo Mr.Stephenson-Smythe. You excell. The man in the photo I cannot remember but he stands and poses just like Brian Woolley doesn't he? Perhaps one of his ancestors?
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#34 Posted : 31 August 2009 20:32:02(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Now listen here Mr Jackson,

This is a serious topic I would not be involved in anything less. I am both surprised and disappointed with you reply.

I fully expected you to come up with the dog’s name and what do we get but Brian Woolley.

This is totally out of order; Brian is a great friend of mine and I can just not allow this.

For many years I have followed Herges adventures of Brian Woolley but there has never ever been an episode involving Horwich Lodge.

And for your information, before you make another wisecrack, the dog’s name is not Snowy.

I think I’ll give up on here it is descending into a farce. Brian Woolley indeed.

R. S-S
Lasselet  
#35 Posted : 31 August 2009 21:10:56(UTC)

Groups: Guest

At first sight I also thought it was Brian Woolley looking for his horse. However, on closer inspection the gentleman in the picture is not wearing a uniform so I think we can assume it's not Brian.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#36 Posted : 31 August 2009 21:31:32(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

How dare you, Sir,

This is now totally out of hand; to bring my very dear friend Brian into this serious debate is just not on.
I intend going to see Brian as early as possible in the morning to apologise for the lot of you. I am ashamed of these insinuations. Goodness knows what Frankie will make of all this.
I shall also report this behaviour to Captain Haddock (maybe High Peak Harry) and see what he has to say about it.
Don’t forget Cllr Mrs Brunt had the last forum shut down just because of this type of behaviour. I really hope she is not part of the forum police but I suspect she might be.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#37 Posted : 31 August 2009 21:35:02(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Could the two men be Bill and Ben?

The dog - Snoopy....maybe?

Man in second photo - Mr McGregor?

Edited by user 31 August 2009 21:45:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#38 Posted : 01 September 2009 13:22:37(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

If this man is very remotely related to our very good friend Brian Wolley( SAMMY ) I would quess he would be waiting for the next stagecoach to check everyone had a ticket. 

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#39 Posted : 05 September 2009 09:52:12(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I suppose while we wind up this post about Ale Houses we may as well just mention the four in Furness Vale.

The very fine Dog and Partridge, The Station Inn which has become The Crossings, The Soldier Dick (forum censorship permitting) and finally The Jolly Sailor.

I do not know if High Peak Harry patronises any or all of the above.

Maybe Wily would know better than me as he seems to take a keen interest in Harry.

R. S-S
Horwich Ender  
#40 Posted : 05 September 2009 11:36:39(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

So, Councillor Mrs Brunt is behind the censorship and removal of postings from this forum.

Very interesting !!!!!