logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 19 July 2009 14:18:37(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good afternoon everyone,

I presume readers and contributors to this very splendid forum like a drink. Well I’d be surprised if they didn’t as some contributions do bear all the hallmarks of a visit to the computer after a visit to the pub.

I must confess I do like the occasional gill of mild myself as does Frankie and Jake is now quite partial to a drop of ouzo, or so the grape vine would have us believe.
Even Gnatalee’s Great Grandfather: Harry the Demon Barber of Bridge Street, the Vidal Sassoon of his day, liked a pint of best. Well quite a few actually, if truth be told.
Nothing wrong with that Gnat. Not in my book at any rate and at a penny for a short back and sides he wouldn’t have been able to use Jake as the source of his beer tokens.
Anyway I digress:

As I was saying to Nigel on here yesterday pub names change and disappear as they are doing even today at a greater rate than ever before and I thought it might be interesting to look at a few of our own examples. I’ll start at the top of Whaley but there are as many in Whaley and more in Horwich End.

In 1823 John Johnson told the inquest into the murder of William Wood, where the scene is denoted by the Murder Stone, that he lived at The Bull’s Head half a mile from where the body was found.
I do not, as yet, know where the Bull’s Head was actually situated. The body was put on a cart and taken to The Male Hen except it wasn’t The Male Hen as we know it today: it was The Jodrell Arms.
Yes The Jodrell Arms in 1823 was The Male Hen it had recently changed its name from The Grapes but when it first opened its doors about 25 years previously to the people of Whaley it was The Farmer’s Arms.
That is why the older people of Whaley refer to the current Male Hen as the New Male Hen. I know it’s hard to follow but bear with me.

The funny thing is that when the people who found William Wood’s body they decided not to take him to the police station or a doctor’s or even leave him where he was pending further investigations. No they decided to throw him on a cart and take him to the pub. Whether they thought a quick pint of best bitter would revive him or not I do not know. But they did not take him the half mile back to the Bull’s Head and they went straight passed The Swan Beerhouse on Whaley Lane. There is no report of the landlord’s reaction to a couple of blokes arriving at his pub with a dead body on a cart and asking him to clear a table so that they could lay it out.
Could you imagine it today: a couple of blokes are driving back from Macclesfield, come across a dead body at the side of the road and in these days of crime scene investigations, forensic evidence and such they simply chuck the body in the back of the car and drop it off at The White Horse.
So I really don’t know the explanation for their actions except to say that it was along time ago.

Perhaps the friends of Whaley Station or the Council will have more information for us.

More pub stories and name changes later on perhaps.

R. S-S
lord cornflake  
#2 Posted : 19 July 2009 14:43:29(UTC)
lord cornflake

Does anybody have any info on pubs on old road,i know nimbus used to be the new inn but iv heard there was a pub opposite called the seven stars.Not sure whether thats correct or not.

Gnatalee  
#3 Posted : 19 July 2009 14:52:34(UTC)
Gnatalee

Another cracking post R. S-S !! 

On a previous post I asked if anyone knew where "Vaux Row" had been in Whaley Bridge and I received a reply that it had been a row of cottages just off Canal Street - now named Johnson Street/Road. Anyway, on my recent visit to Whaley library, which I enjoyed immensely I might add, I mentioned "Vaux Row" to one of the librarians and she told me that it was named Vaux Row after the pub (which is now the Navigation I believe, and is boarded up at the moment). Apparently the brewery was Vaux Ales (which I think still exists - didn't they used to sponsor Sunderland football team a few years back?)

Anyway, this may or may not be correct but please accept this little contribution to this subject - as one who knows nothing about anything but is always willing to learn !!

Gnats

PS:  Another item I noticed whilst delving in the library was that The Railway was once run by a well-known dance band leader of the time - I think it was Syd Lawrence (or someone similar).  

Edited by user 19 July 2009 15:07:13(UTC)  | Reason: Correcting spelling after too much wine - ha ha!

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 19 July 2009 15:06:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

lord cornflake wrote:

Does anybody have any info on pubs on old road,i know nimbus used to be the new inn but iv heard there was a pub opposite called the seven stars.Not sure whether thats correct or not.

Sorry Cornflake Old Man,

That is not correct.

We are not into Horwich End just yet but just for your own information and don’t tell anyone but the pub opposite the junk shop was the Lamb and Salmon and that was also a name change.
The Seven Stars was/is now a part of the junk shop; it is the work shop where they restore old furniture. It used to be the Brass Band practice room.

Now don’t tell anybody will you? I was holding this information back for later on. I know I can rely on you.

I understand you make use of The Sheps and we shall discuss other names for that very fine establishment. Bet you can’t wait.

R. S-S
Nigel  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2009 21:16:38(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good Evening R. S-S

I must admit I did think you had ignored my previous posting relating to the Goyt Inn but I am delighted to see that you have picked up the baton and will report back in due course on the history of the Pubs in Whaley Bridge. I look forward with anticipation to your future comments.

On another matter, you state that “some contributions to this Forum bear all the hallmarks of a visit to the computer after a visit to the pub.” Would you by any chance be referring to the following posts:

Awful Neighbour Any Advice

CllrJonG

#15Posted : 17 July 2009 01:29:05

New Chippy

CllrJonG

#42Posted : 10 July 2009 03:01:36  

I have been told the author of these posts was seen in at least one of our public houses prior to the postings been made.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 20 July 2009 08:38:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Nigel,

How dare you, Sir.

I am surprised that you could even contemplate such a thing.

To think I would actually be critical of a Councillor. Well it beggars belief.

Although!

Well look in later on another recently started topic.

R. S-S
lord cornflake  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2009 09:12:58(UTC)
lord cornflake

Cheers R.S.S. I most certainly cant wait for the Sheps info.

Bob Bowker  
#8 Posted : 20 July 2009 14:45:14(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Good Afternoon R. S-S. 

The Pub names oast and present is very interesting. You make reference to the Swan Beerhouse on Whaley Lane, but I am sure that I have also heard reference to it as 'Mrs Swan's Beerhouse'. Can anyone else identify with that? Also I believe that it was at the last property but one set back on the left before Start Lane known I think as Highways. Can this also be confirmed please?

N.B. Bigger print for George

RockBanker  
#9 Posted : 20 July 2009 14:53:39(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

There is a Mrs Sarah Swan listed as a beer retailer in Kelly's directory of 1891

http://dialspace.dial.pi...5/dby/kelly/fernilee.htm

Edited by user 20 July 2009 14:54:18(UTC)  | Reason: Speeling

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 20 July 2009 17:12:07(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Afternoon Bob,

I too have always understood it to be Mrs Swan’s Beerhouse but on the last forum someone, sadly no longer with us, was quite insistent that The Swan was run for a time by Sarah Swan.

He had far more knowledge of Whaley than me so I think he was probably correct. So I compromised and called it the Swan Beerhouse.

If you think about it a pub is not usually named after the occupier.

I can help you no further on that matter except to say that there was a pub with the name Swan in it in that now private dwelling.

I may have time tomorrow to continue the list, Bob.

R. S-S

Much obliged to you for thinking of George.
D-DAY DODGER2  
#11 Posted : 21 July 2009 23:15:07(UTC)
D-DAY DODGER2

A bit more on the William Wood incident mentioned by R S-S that might be of interest to some of you. It became part of the lore that William's skull was broken when he was attacked.It was somehow driven into the ground and made a hole there .After the body had been removed the hole remained as a silent witness to the murder. No grass would grow in it and it resisted all efforts to fill it. A man named John Fox, who lived nearby in around1859, often filled it with stones and always found it empty the next day. On one occasion he packed it carefully and covered it over with sods,but the result was exactly the same. Stones and sods were found close by but the hollow itself was empty as before. On one occasion he felt something rushing past him making a noise like the wings of a large bird.On another occasion he saw a linen jacket hanging on the wall near the hole. Thinking that some farm labourer had left it behind he went to pick it up but, before he could touch it, it vanished away! He looked over the wall to see if anyone had taken it from the other side but there was no-one there.

Alfred Fryer the respected author of  'Wilmslow Graves' frequently visited the place as part of his research and only once found a small stone, about the size of a walnut, resting in the hollow. He tried filling it himself by way of experiment but with the usual result. A friend of his, one Tom Phillips, once found two stones in it, but the locals all testified that it could not be filled in and that nothing would grow in it.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 24 July 2009 17:22:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Continuing on the pub names and nicknames of current and long gone pubs the most recent were/are The Chimes of Taxal which used to be The Royal Oak. I have got lots of photos of The Royal Oak but none of The Chimes even though I have downed a few in there.

Even though enormous changes have been carried out at The Shady Oak it has never changed its name.
Likewise The White Horse even though undergoing major changes has always been The White Horse.

Further up the road was The Seven Stars; now the workshop for the junk shop. The junkshop closed its doors as The New Inn but before that for a long time it was known as The Jolly Roger and before that it was once again The New Inn.
On the opposite side of the road just up the hill a little bit you can still see The Quiet Woman which was once The Lamb and Salmon.
A long time ago I was talking to an Horwich End lady who was well into her nineties and she assured me there was a pub up Eccles Road known as The Drum and Monkey. I know there was a pit by that name in that area but I can not find any records of the pub. But she was absolutely certain.
The Board Inn has always been The Board Inn but has had three major façade changes over the last 100 years or so. Each picture of it looks like a completely different pub.

Back down in Whaley The Railway Hotel has always been just that.The Navigation was quite possibly The Vaux Inn and The Goyt has always been the Goyt. On the site of the Co-op pharmacist was a pub called The Old Tankard.
The White Hart has always been The White Hart but older people still refer to it as The Bridge End.
The Male Hen Hotel was always known as The New Male Hen because The Jodrell was the original Male Hen for years the Jodrell was referred to as Th’owd En

Now here’s the bit Lord Cornflake has been waiting for The Shepherd’s Arms was locally known as Th’ Dog I’th Ash.

Happy drinking.

R. S-S
george  
#13 Posted : 24 July 2009 19:00:01(UTC)
george

Hi R S-S

Do you have any more info on the old Tankard?

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 25 July 2009 07:47:23(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good Morning George,

I’ll have a look over this weekend if I can find any info for you.

Just getting back to pub nicknames The Old Tankard was known as “Th’Owd Tin Can”

R.S-S
lord cornflake  
#15 Posted : 27 July 2009 17:03:06(UTC)
lord cornflake

Very interesting R.S.S. about the Shepherds I shall have to tell my drinking chums.One thing though,I see you mention The Drum and Monkey.I know there was a pub by this name on Bowden lane near Ferodo,the ruins are stll there.Also the house opposite the ruins is called Drum and Monkey cottage.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 09 August 2009 16:51:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I completely forgot about The Shady Oak.

Sorry.

R. S-S

Shady oak by you.
Gnatalee  
#17 Posted : 09 August 2009 18:07:39(UTC)
Gnatalee

Don't be forgetting the Shady Oak - I have some lovely pictures of the Shady during the 70's/'arly 80's. It was the "watering-hole" of my grandparents for many years I have quite a few family photos taken there. I would be very interested in any information you can provide. It would be nice to pass any information on to the former licensees of that time - they live in North Wales now.

Gnats

Scuba Man  
#18 Posted : 09 August 2009 21:34:25(UTC)

Groups: Guest

R. S-S, there used to be a pub up Eccles Road but it was not the The Drum and Monkey. It was The Sycamore. The licensed premises have long since gone but the building is still standing and I think the residential dwelling is still known as “Sycamore”

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 10 August 2009 07:44:07(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Thank you for that Scuba Man,

That is very interesting I shall try to check it out.

I was told about The Drum and Monkey about twenty years ago by a lady who was then in her nineties.

I told her that I had not heard of such a pub but she was absolutely convincing. From what you say The Sycamore could very well be the same place. We’ve shown on here how often pub names change and there was a pit in that region called The Drum and Monkey Pit.

This warrants further investigations but whether we will come up with anything might well be another matter.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#20 Posted : 17 August 2009 16:28:28(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

And then of course there is always The Cloak and Dagger but that is reserved exclusively for use by members of the Town Council.

Wonder how long this post will last? Not long I wouldn’t have thought.

R. S-S