logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
G. Jackson  
#41 Posted : 05 September 2009 14:41:46(UTC)
G. Jackson

Groups: Member

Mr. Stephenson-Smythe you amaze me. Even I cannot remember the Jolly Sailor in Furness Vale unless it was down Station Road near the botton on the bad bend. Can you remember the vets at Horwich End, this was in my day a barbers shop with Bill Smith in charge of the scissors. Before that it was a greengrocers run by George Bentley.

Further up the road is the Board Inn as you know, it was run by Mr.Ernest Bowden and after his demise his  wife known as Owd Nell used to call time. In my early drinking days ( before the prostrate trouble) ) we used to call it The Rompin. I believe it used to be called The Romping Kittling. Did you frequent it then or are you a youngster?

CllrJonG  
#42 Posted : 05 September 2009 14:48:25(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

HorwichEnder :

Councillor Jean Horsfall  is NOT an administrator, and is not able to delete or edit other peoples posts.

The old forum was shut down not by Councillor Horsfall, but by the web forum group, of which she was/is a member. The web forum group decided enough was enough, and many of the forum stalwarts at the time were also agreed that it had all gone too far.

I hope it doesn't happen again.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 05 September 2009 14:51:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
parabuild  
#43 Posted : 05 September 2009 15:15:51(UTC)
parabuild

Man

The Jolly Sailor was indeed on Station Road in Furness, right next to the canal. It did close a very long time ago, I'm not sure when, so perhaps R S-S also has a time machine.

Scuba Man  
#44 Posted : 05 September 2009 15:49:16(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Good afternoon R. S-S

I think you are a little premature when you infer that this post should be wound up. I have at least two other Pubs in Whaley which I don't think you have mentioned.

I will let you conclude your investigations into the Sycamore before I reveal the names of the other pubs as I don't want to over burden you.

G. Jackson  
#45 Posted : 05 September 2009 17:31:42(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Mr. Stephenson-Smythe,  I forgot earlier to mention when you said there were 4 ale-houses in Furness Vale. Are you aware of Furness Vale Club, it's on Yeardsley Lane and not on the main road so you may not have seen it.

Bartak  
#46 Posted : 08 September 2009 17:34:56(UTC)

Norrin Radd

Scuba Man  
#47 Posted : 14 September 2009 19:57:45(UTC)

Good evening R. S-S

Just keeping in touch as requested. Have you concluded your investigations into the Sycamore yet ?

Scuba Man  
#48 Posted : 26 September 2009 12:10:42(UTC)

Good Afternoon R. S-S

Due to your lack of communication I can only assume you have been unsuccessful in your attempts to obtain more information on the Sycamore Hotel on Eccles Road. This is a shame because if anyone had the knowledge and resources to dig deeper I would have thought it would be your good self.

I'm sure George will remember the Sycamore and perhaps he could provide us with his recollections of the pub.

Before moving on, an apology. In a previous posting I stated that I knew of at least two other pubs in Whaley Bridge which you had not identified. I originally thought you had not mentioned the Lamb and Salmon, but on checking, you have correctly stated this used to be on Old Road. However, a public house you appear to have have missed off your list of former pub's in Whaley is the Coach and Horses.

Anybody any ideas where this pub was?

A clue: The pub was shut a long time before The Chimes closed but, like The Chimes and Lamb and Salmon, the building is still there.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#49 Posted : 26 September 2009 12:41:01(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good afternoon Scuba Man,

I had indeed forgotten about The Sycamore Pub on Eccles Road and I have even been to have a look at it. It does seem likely that there was a drinking establishment at that point bearing in mind the length of the road, the distance from Horwich Lodge and the junction but you have the better of me on this occasion. I asked a friend of mine and he said he thought it was a hotel at one time. But the only pub I have heard of on that road was one called The Drum and Monkey. A lady well into her 90’s told me about it some 15 years ago and she was very ‘with it’ despite her good age. I can’t doubt her so maybe The Sycamore and The Drum and Monkey were one and the same.
Again I have no recollection of The Coach and Horses so please give me some more information.
And for Parabuild’s sake do not mention The Jug and Spoon. Oh bother I’ve gone and done it.

I like you Scuba Man you are a very interesting character. We may have spoken to each other very recently.

R. S-S

Scuba Man please increase your type size for George. Good lad.

High Peak Harry  
#50 Posted : 26 September 2009 14:40:22(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I think you'll find he is banned, so any reply might be a while in coming. By the way as to increasing the text size, I have installed a new browser and can't see the font box. Anyone got any ideas why?
Gnatalee  
#51 Posted : 26 September 2009 15:31:04(UTC)
Gnatalee

Don't know if this helps, but you normally only get the formatting box when you start a new subject. If you are replying to someone else's post you have to post it and then use the edit but on the top right-hand side of the posting.

Apologies if this is absolutely no help to you at all !

Gnats

Edited by user 26 September 2009 15:32:06(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#52 Posted : 26 September 2009 17:17:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well my dear friend Harry,

I never thought I’d see the day; when I can assist you with computer technology.

Type your messages in a ‘word’ document, at the top of the page increase the font size to 14, highlight the post and click ‘copy’.

Go to the forum and click ‘paste’. Two messages come up and agree to both. Then a yellowish box comes up and again click paste and then your message will be shown and you can preview it before actually posting.
This way there should hardly ever be a need to use the edit button.

Right I am now trying to pat myself on the back. I am over the moon with this.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#53 Posted : 26 September 2009 19:11:51(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Doesn't that take more time to do R.S-S?

High Peak Harry  
#54 Posted : 27 September 2009 08:27:12(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Originally Posted by: . I am over the moon with this.
[/quote">Go to Quoted Post

Did the little dog laugh? And did you hit the cow?

tyke  
#55 Posted : 27 September 2009 09:50:52(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

If someone doesn't do this simply press ctrl and + (at the same time) that increases the size of any text in your browser. kee pressing to the desired level. equally ctrl and - makes it smaller and ctrl and 0 makes it return to normal. works with the better browser such as firefox and I believe Internet explorer. So if someone was to post in miniscule text you can still enarge it to enormous size.

parabuild  
#56 Posted : 27 September 2009 12:22:41(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I am told that the Jolly Sailor in Station Road, Furness Vale lent it's name to the adjacent canal bridge which used to be known as the "Jolly Bridge"

Whaley Laner  
#57 Posted : 02 October 2009 11:49:56(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Coach and Horses Pub, Start Lane, Whaley Bridge.

My former neighbour told me about the Coach and Horses which is not too far from where I live. The pub was originally called the Bull's Head, before changing it's name to the Coach and Horses. It was located on Start Lane and the property is still there but is now a house which, I think, is called the Coach House. I can only assume that the road to Kettleshulme through Kishfield was much busier in the days when the pub was open than it is today. Many years ago there used to be a working quarry nearby. My neighbour told me the pub was regularly used by the quarry workers and was probably also very popular when the stocks were in use. Apparently, the Coach and Horses pub shut when the main road from Disley to Whaley no longer went through Higher Disley, Stoneheads and past my house but instead changed to the current road through Furness Vale. I think there is some connection between the Coach and Horses and the Soldier Dick in Furness but I cant' remember what it is.

Perhaps one of our Furness Vale residents could enlighten us.   

Bob Bowker  
#58 Posted : 02 October 2009 12:18:04(UTC)
Bob Bowker

I may well be mistaken as it was obviously well before my time, but I am sure that I was told that Start Lane (only a relatively new title I understand) / Kishfield Lane was the original road to Macclesfield from Whaley and would have been relatively busy.

Similarily, I understand that the road from Disley over the top (Buxton Old Road) was as it's name suggests, the original (not Roman) road to Whaley and Buxton and therefore a percentage of travellers would divert down 'Start Lane' to Macc' adding to the numbers. Sounds as if this was a busy Inn. Could do with one up there now. I could roll home down the hill instead of struggling up it.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#59 Posted : 16 October 2009 17:25:56(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Has anyone got any firm evidence about this pub called The Coach and Horses on Start Lane?

As far as I know there was never a pub on that road. I can find no evidence of it at all and as for changing its name from the Bull’s Head you will see from my first post on this topic the Bull’s Head was not on Start Lane.

As Bob says in long gone times that road would certainly have been busier. It was in fact a turnpike road; the toll house is almost certainly at the point of the level crossing at the bottom of Whaley Lane but as I say I can not trace any pub on Start Lane.

I hope there was and I hope someone has some firm evidence on it.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#60 Posted : 27 October 2009 17:42:44(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

I hope people are not afraid to put photos on this forum.

All the stuff I put on here is usually pretty old and the photographer will be long gone. The chances of being sued or prosecuted for copyright infringement are negligible.

As an example here is a copy of a postcard that I have; an identical postcard is on sale today on ebay on the internet for the whole world to see for £7.95 plus postage of 85p.

Now who is guilty of any offence? Me, Ebay or the seller on Ebay?

I doubt if any of us are and the chances of someone knocking on my door with a writ are miniscule. So if you have any photos put them on here there will be no repercussions.
I think Beverley Macca let us into the legalities of it some time ago and if it’s alright with her it’s alright with me.

Incidentally this postcard was posted from Kettleshulme on 27th April 1914 and addressed to a Miss Rachel Bennett in St Annes and was conveying the stunning news that Alice had managed to get her a ticket for the annual Primrose Party on May 2nd.
This news seems to have delighted Ethel the sender far more than I can describe.

And before anyone asks; I have no idea why all the upstairs windows in the pub are all wide open.

R. S-S