logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

6 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#21 Posted : 06 August 2009 20:37:37(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Ooh look - all 106 now!

Retiring to a darkened room, with a whisky!
CllrJonG  
#22 Posted : 06 August 2009 20:40:19(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Interesting, I was just looking at Horwich Enders posts, and the last couple were both numbered 16. looks like something is amiss. I'll flag it up.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#23 Posted : 07 August 2009 08:25:05(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Are you lot winding me up again?

If you post only once the number is 1 and will remain; if you post only twice both posts will say 2.

After your first post they are not numbered individually but in total.

Yes I think you are winding me up.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#24 Posted : 07 August 2009 20:30:06(UTC)
Fedup

Good evening R.S-S.

Winding you up? I'm more confused than you are.

Take my advice - darkened room and a large whisky. Then you just don't care!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#25 Posted : 08 August 2009 08:21:03(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Now look here Fedup,

First you ignore me in favour of that High Peak Harry character of all people and now you are suggesting I down a bottle of Bells. Whatever next.

On this thread the 24th post is your own and on the left hand side is a little menu all about you. Yes I know probably nobody’s interested but it is there all the same.
The last item is ‘posts’ and it shows you have a commendable 108 against your name.

If you scroll further up the page to post 21 there you are again and it has once again 108 against your name.
Further if you click on your own name which is Fedup if you can remember after all the Scotch it gives all sorts of other information about you:
The date you joined, your last visit and the total number of posts which is 108.

There is also a sub heading entitled gender and I see, not unsurprisingly, in your case there is “None Specified”

You are winding me up aren’t you?

R.S-S
High Peak Harry  
#26 Posted : 08 August 2009 08:27:01(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Just to confirm what the learned R.S-S states,your post total changes with each post you make.

Another forum I go on has people congratulating each other on their 5,000th post or whatever, but if you could scroll back to their first ever post it would show 5,000 and not 1.
I do hope that is clear (maybe not if you have consumed too much Scotch in a darkened room). I believe there is a woman up Combs who could help you. She runs the Plain English Campaign for those that that need it.
davethescope  
#27 Posted : 09 August 2009 13:17:22(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)

Fedup wrote:

Thanks for that R.S-S.

Looking forward to the photo. I presume the reservoirs are to supply water to various areas of the country. Do you know which area our local reservoirs supply?

Todbrook and Coombs are feeders for the canal.   Erwood and Fernilee are water supply reservoirs supplying the Stockport area including Whaley.  Todbrook was built in 1831, Fernilee in 1938 and Erwood in 1967

The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Fedup  
#28 Posted : 09 August 2009 22:07:50(UTC)
Fedup

Thank you davethescope. I honestly thought Toddbrook was a water supply reservoir.

Edited by user 09 August 2009 22:10:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#29 Posted : 09 August 2009 22:13:51(UTC)
Fedup

Yes R.S-S, you are quite right - so easy when you think about it!

Hic!!

Edited by user 09 August 2009 22:15:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#30 Posted : 10 August 2009 09:47:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Toddbrook Reservoir was also empty in 1911 as you can see in the attached photo. But it was the great drought this time and not the machinery of Zacker and Wacker.
The weather was so hot that the mills in the north of England were forced to shut in the afternoons.

I believe that before the dam was built there was a track for donkeys carrying salt from Northwich to Sheffield.
Strangely there is one of the first examples of a ‘nodding donkey’ still in Northwich at The Lion Salt Works.
I shall try to visit it this summer if it doesn’t get too hot.

R.S-S

Toddbrook Reservoir dry 1911 by you.

Fedup  
#31 Posted : 10 August 2009 20:11:56(UTC)
Fedup

I have to say R.S-S that I am admiring your newly acquired skills of putting photos up on the Forum.

Brilliant photos!

Edited by user 10 August 2009 20:12:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#32 Posted : 13 September 2009 18:45:25(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Toddbrook Reservoir is at a very low level at the moment. I have some information that it is to be drained completely to allow some inspection of the various valves. Has anyone any further info.  

Frankie  
#33 Posted : 14 September 2009 15:21:43(UTC)
Frankie

Toddbrook Reservoir   14/09/2009

Edited by user 14 September 2009 15:25:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie attached the following image(s):
RESERVOIR 008.jpg
Frankie  
#34 Posted : 14 September 2009 15:37:41(UTC)
Frankie

Toddbrook Reservoir another photo,Sorry about quality light was very poor this morning.

Frankie attached the following image(s):
RESERVOIR 001.jpg
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#35 Posted : 14 September 2009 18:30:40(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Frankie,

I too have noticed the Toddbrook canal feeder is very low whereas the Combs canal feeder is relatively high. It is rather strange.

However, the reason for me coming back on here is to let you know that Black Pudding Mike has had yet another car write off incident. Again he says it is not his fault, and to be fair from what he has told me it sounds about right; he also says he has been very badly shaken up and has suffered yet another bout of whiplash and a very bad back.

Another large dose of compensation should help solve the problem as usual.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#36 Posted : 14 September 2009 19:26:11(UTC)
Fedup

I too have been told that the reservoir is being drained so the powers that be can inspect the valves with a CCTV camera. If said valves are in good working order, all is well and the reservoir will be allowed to fill up again. If the valves appear faulty, there will be a fish rescue and the remaining water will be drained off to enable repairs to be carried out.

I was up there today, and a local lady was saying that she had been on to the Department for the Environment who had assured her that no more water would be drained from the reservoir now until the results of the CCTV were available. However, it was obvious that more water was still being drained, and she was most annoyed! She said she was getting on to them again as soon as she got home. She was extremely concerned about the fish and the wildlife, and who can blame her. Let's hope that the Waterways people know what they are doing, and do things properly without causing any needless damage or suffering to the creatures that inhabit our lovely reservoir.

By the way, one positive thing that has come out of the draining of the reservoir is that the cormorant has been attending on a very regular basis. Obviously with the fish all crammed into what little water is left he is finding fishing for his supper extremely easy!

What a beautiful bird, and how lucky we are to be able to enjoy the spectacle of him fishing and preening and drying those huge wings, and all on our own doorstep!

Edited by user 14 September 2009 19:32:14(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG  
#37 Posted : 14 September 2009 19:40:54(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi Fedup,

I'm not entirely certain your views about the cormorant will be shared by some of those who regularly fish the reservoir,  , or by the fish.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Gnatalee  
#38 Posted : 14 September 2009 20:18:27(UTC)
Gnatalee

For R.S-S

How nice to see a posting from you on the board, I was a little worried that you had given up on us!   I am still ferreting around for photos and hopefully I will soon come up with something !!

Best wishes

Gnats

Edited by user 14 September 2009 20:19:55(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Fedup  
#39 Posted : 15 September 2009 19:11:28(UTC)
Fedup

Well Cllr JonG, I have very little sympathy for the fishermen. The cormorant fishes to live - the fishermen fish for fun, and when they get hungry, can go to the Corner Shop for provisions. As for the fish, well, not much fun for them either way, but surely more natural to be caught by the cormorant and eaten, than to be caught on a hook, have the hook ripped out of your mouth and then get thrown back in the water for it all to happen again.

Edited by user 15 September 2009 19:14:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Arfur Mow  
#40 Posted : 15 September 2009 21:41:40(UTC)
Arfur Mow

Well, Fedup, you display ignorance on a high level here.

Firstly the cormorant is a bird found mainly at the sea, it is only in the last 15-20 years that it has migrated inland in search of easier pickings. there is also one to be found at Erwood.

Secondly the fish do not have the hook ripped out of their mouths. If it is a trout or other game fish taken for the pan it is dispatched humanely before any hook is removed. If it is to be returned to the water the hook is gently removed (lots of anglers use barbless hooks these days) and it is carefully placed back in the water. People who don't follow these measures are ostracised or re-educated by their fellow anglers. If fish stocks are cared for, there are likely to be more of them to be caught on another day.

I do hope that this has educated you, if not please let me know and I will do my best to explain the ways of the countryside to you and any others.