logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pensionman  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2014 09:53:55(UTC)
pensionman

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I watched the refuse lorry struggle up our road this morning,as it tried to slalom past 4 closely parked cars in our road that could not be parked on their driveways.. The number of cars are increasing in our little cul de sac, as off-spring come of age to get their wheels.We also have houses where there is only room for one car & cohabitee has to park on the road/pavement.  Some of the houses have no room for a driveway extension to accommodate the additional family vehicle, some do, but perhaps not the funds or inclination to extend. Some households have congested the road preferring to fill their garage with personal effects/trash/air.
Fine.
I'm getting increasingly concerned one day an event may occur when an emergency vehicle may be denied critical access time to address an emergency due to the 'congestion'. This would be heightened in icy/snowy conditions.Does anyone else share these concerns or have similar issues? This problem is worse on some of the other roads in our estate, where some vehicles park right on the corner of a junction, making the on-coming junction user's right hand vision blind. This is prevalent up at Hockerley Road/Meadowfield.
I had the displeasure of driving to, or should I say parking in Bingswood which is frequently backing up with massive lorries. It must be difficult living on those cottages on the entrance to the Estate.

I mention these issues as the Macc Road development plans simmer on. I wonder if the future potential traffic problems identified in the immediate time have not identified second generation vehicle demand & the same issues we are experience here & around Whaley as we increasingly outgrow our infra-structure.
RockBanker  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2014 17:27:44(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Not 100% sure I would recommend this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/new...england-suffolk-28128941

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
Kippax  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2014 10:22:40(UTC)
Kippax

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pensionman Go to Quoted Post
This problem is worse on some of the other roads in our estate, where some vehicles park right on the corner of a junction, making the on-coming junction user's right hand vision blind. This is prevalent up at Hockerley Road/Meadowfield.

The guy with the big white Renault van is the worst offender. He parks his van illegally most days - an accident waiting to happen.
thanks 1 user thanked Kippax for this useful post.
pensionman on 16/07/2014(UTC)
Jonny Summers  
#4 Posted : 17 July 2014 16:47:47(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
It would be interesting to know how many cars/VANS have been "ticketed" for parking within 10m of a junction?... not many I'm sure!!! I know that junction well & couldn't agree more!!! The other major problem with irresponsible parking, as mentioned on other threads, is all the way from Market Street & Buxton Road up to the traffic lights. Vehicles were just queuing all the way back beyond Bridge Street & again down towards Tesco. The sooner double-yellows down one side are sorted the better!!!
Janep  
#5 Posted : 17 July 2014 20:20:33(UTC)
Janep

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Can I point out again the silver focus , it's been parked on the road near hares and graces for 6 weeks at least , nobody seems interested in getting it moved , I guess it has been abandoned
Wanderer returns  
#6 Posted : 18 July 2014 05:42:37(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Also a number of private "for sale" cars which don't move, I thought they were being parked there during the day whilst they were at work in the village but it would appear they do not move.
DLS1977  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2014 19:37:54(UTC)
DLS1977

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Anyone know the numb nut on Chapel Road who chooses to park their flatbed truck on the pavement, near the letter box on the junction with Elnor Lane? It forces people in to the road, including my 2 girls as they go to / return from school.
Jonny Summers  
#8 Posted : 21 July 2014 16:45:36(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Chaos again through the centre!!!
davethescope  
#9 Posted : 21 July 2014 17:05:00(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Jonny Summers Go to Quoted Post
Chaos again through the centre!!!

It is difficult to censor people for double parking when we have "state sponsored" double parking in the centre of the village and "state sponsored" obstructive parking in other parts of the village notably Old Road and Canal Street.  The official parking at the top of Canal Street is especially stupid given that very large vehicles have to turn into it and the needs of the Post Office vans.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Wanderer returns  
#10 Posted : 25 July 2014 05:25:37(UTC)
Wanderer returns

I've had the misfortune to drive through the village and be stuck in dreadful traffic over the last couple of weeks. The problem at 4.00 will now ease as the school has broken up but at 5.00 the other day it took me 37 minutes to get from the White Horse to The Railway. I thought maybe the by pass had been closed but it was sheer volume of traffic compounded by HGVs and busses trying to get through with all of the parked cars.
It would be an absolute nightmare of the people who live there if double yellow lines were put down one one side but I'm starting to wonder if it's the only solution.
I say this not because of having to sit for all that time but I'm very concerned about what would happen if an emergency vechile needed to get through again and could not, is the potential loss of life more important than the inconvenience to the residents, personally I think so.
davethescope  
#11 Posted : 26 July 2014 10:29:53(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Wanderer returns Go to Quoted Post

I say this not because of having to sit for all that time but I'm very concerned about what would happen if an emergency vechile needed to get through again and could not, is the potential loss of life more important than the inconvenience to the residents, personally I think so.

Quite apart from the very important  issue with emergency vehicles it is fair to ask whether the convenience of car owners should be put above the convenience of non car drivers.   We have already lost the Trans Peak bus service because of the congestion in the village and the punctuality of the other services is hugely compromised by it
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
Jonny Summers  
#12 Posted : 31 July 2014 16:47:10(UTC)
Jonny Summers

I've just driven through the village centre & noticed quite a few places that have been spray painted: I couldn't see exactly what was written on each, but the gist seemed to be "don't park here". Does anyone know what's happening? Are these official? Dare we dream it's the start of a traffic calming scheme?
Wanderer returns  
#13 Posted : 31 July 2014 17:25:07(UTC)
Wanderer returns

The say "NO PARKING 01/08" I'm assuming they are going to spray and top dress tomorrow using what is piled up in the lay by on Long Hill but I could be wrong
sfmans  
#14 Posted : 31 July 2014 17:51:52(UTC)
sfmans

Man

The say "NO PARKING 01/08" I'm assuming they are going to spray and top dress tomorrow using what is piled up in the lay by on Long Hill but I could be wrong

There's now notices up on Market Street warning that there will be road surfacing works going on 1st & 2nd August
Jonny Summers  
#15 Posted : 31 July 2014 20:42:04(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Unfortunately reality dawned as I just saw the 10mph signs!!! I wonder how many people think that the "don't park here on 01/08" sprayed on the road applies to those car-sized-spaces only? Just noticed cars parked either side of them:)
Wanderer returns  
#16 Posted : 02 August 2014 11:37:09(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Nothing seemed to happen yesterday! There was a man out with a spray can early this morning - have they changed the date?
Horwich Ender  
#17 Posted : 02 August 2014 14:43:32(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Nothing seemed to happen yesterday! There was a man out with a spray can early this morning - have they changed the date?

Good afternoon Wanderer returns.

The 1's sprayed on the road have been changed to 4's and indicate the road will be resurfaced between 7 am and 5 pm on Monday.

It will be interesting to see how many motorists comply with the no parking request during these hours.

Wanderer returns  
#18 Posted : 02 August 2014 17:02:23(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Thanks for that Horwich Ender
I remember when a certain gentleman who live on Jam Butty Hill and has a collection of cars outside his house refused to move his cars on the day or resurfacing. I walked past with the dog to hear him refusing to move his collection and the work men were scratching their heads. In the end they worked round his cars and left that patch untouched. Let's hope everyone does the sensible thing on Monday and then the whole stretch can be done properly - not great for the shops in the village as parking will be very limited

Edited by user 02 August 2014 17:03:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jonny Summers  
#19 Posted : 03 August 2014 07:01:04(UTC)
Jonny Summers

Both HE & WR seem to imply that any cars still on the road tomorrow will be doing so deliberately? I don't know when everyone else was informed about the tar spraying, but I only found out on Thursday night that it was to be done on Friday; what about people who are away? Has the council not realised that it's school holidays? I know of at least one person who is away & their car is parked on this road near the church, so that won't be moving!!! I also believe that most people reading the spray signs on the road will think that they are being told not to park IN THAT SPACE, not anywhere on the road!!!
Wanderer returns  
#20 Posted : 03 August 2014 20:17:45(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Given that the spraying is at quite regular intervals I would hope that people have used their common sense and realised that the whole road is being resurfaced.
When this happened on a road which I lived on we were given a hand delivered note informing us that the work we due to ne carried out.