logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#21 Posted : 12 August 2009 16:24:03(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi Gnatalee,

That’s a possibility.

It’s a bit better than RB’s Wall of Death to be honest.

Do you think he was joking with that one Gnats?

Nothing surprises me on here any more.

By the way I have a photo somewhere showing Ces Turner’s shop taken from down by the bridge near the White Hart and it shows his little café entrance on Wharf Road. I’ll try and find it this evening and put it on here for you.

Are you keeping OK and when is your next visit to Whaley? I may be able to buy you a spot of lunch.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#22 Posted : 12 August 2009 16:54:59(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi R. S-S

My thinking on the WW2 pill box was only based on a story I had heard about a poor woman walking home in the blackout along Wharf Road during the War, only to be greeted with a "Who goes there"! Because the guy frightened the life out of her she told him exactly what she thought of him.   I seem to remember her name was something like Lizzie Wright or White.

Had intended visiting Whaley today to go to the Footsteps Exhibition. I was going to bring my Dad but he is a bit under the weather at the moment so had to postpone. Its a shame 'cos I had such a good time looking at the local history stuff in the library that I knew the Footsteps exhibition would be right up my street. Never mind, will get there this summer - before Whaley get snowed in !!!

Gnats

Edited by user 12 August 2009 16:57:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#23 Posted : 12 August 2009 17:04:11(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Edited by user 12 August 2009 17:04:44(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jake  
#24 Posted : 12 August 2009 17:06:40(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Well ok then it is obvious.

The innovative people of Whaley decided they had to show the way and with forward thinking installed a "PISSOIRS", a male public loo.

Hows that for a guess as to the round stone building.

I know it's wrong but it looks like one to me.

Jake

Edited by user 12 August 2009 17:07:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#25 Posted : 12 August 2009 17:09:28(UTC)
Gnatalee

What a good idea for Le Whaley Bridge!

Edited by user 12 August 2009 17:11:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#26 Posted : 12 August 2009 17:11:27(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

R.S-S.

I have had a tip of during today that this is the car we may win in the competition. If so we need to arrange to go up to High Edge Raceway to do a part ex.

Edited by user 12 August 2009 17:12:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie attached the following image(s):
SWScan00017.JPG
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#27 Posted : 12 August 2009 18:40:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Blimey Frankie,

Where have you come by this information? I’m thinking about withdrawing my entry in the competition.

Surely George would not do that to us. Would he?

No with all the millions he made in that shoe shop even on just the sales of Tucson shoe polish which nobody including George himself could pronounce properly. Mind you he did lose a bit on talcum powder over the years.

All the same you have me very worried; I doubt if I shall sleep tonight.

I may have to follow the advice of our dear friend Fedup. Where is he by the way? Surely not still in the darkened room with a bottle of heather wine.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#28 Posted : 12 August 2009 19:34:17(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hic!!

Right - I am entering the competition for the car with a guess of early 1950's and belonging to Mr Turner. You may wonder why I would want to win a car
in that condition, but I have to say that it's a darn sight smarter than mine!

As for the circular brick structure, well I think it is the remains of a Roman Bath.

R.S-S, you are now showing off with your photographs! Just remember, pride comes before a fall!!

Finally, can someone do something about this running off the screen thing?! PLEASE!!
RockBanker  
#29 Posted : 13 August 2009 08:40:49(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

OK - My third guess is that the structure is an air raid shelter.

However the concrete bomb proof roof had to be removed on the orders of the Town Council as it was in breach of planning regulations. 

And my fourth and final guess is that it is a pen for R-SS's famous Goats.

Edited by user 13 August 2009 11:49:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#30 Posted : 13 August 2009 18:44:16(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

My word RB,

Strange that you mention Whaley Bridge’s ‘Goats’; I have just had another look at the photo and you can see the well worn path to the Secret Tunnel to enable you to inspect the Corn Mill Goat which runs at the side of the Railway Pub.

If you look at the photo as you come under the bridge and are faced with our, up to now, mysterious round walled structure and you can see the path to the Goat. It is still there today but there is a green metal gate and stinging nettles to negotiate but it is still very accessible.

I heard on the grapevine that Fedup is doing conducted tours every Saturday and Sunday morning and ticket prices are very reasonable and available from the Mechanics or Footsteps. Why not treat yourself this weekend and spend a couple of hours in the splendid company of Fedup?

R. S-S
Bob Bowker  
#31 Posted : 14 August 2009 08:22:17(UTC)
Bob Bowker

Back to the car. Going by the registration, I think it could well have been registered in Huddersfield. I don't know if there is a clue there.  How long has 'Tyke' lived here?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 14 August 2009 08:49:18(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

BB,

You may have come closer to solving the question of the ownership of that fine car.

If it was, as you say registered in Huddersfield, and Huddersfield is a mere five miles from Halifax and our public works contractors Z & W Wade hailed from Halifax then the car could belong to Zacker or Wacker.

I’ll change my original nomination of Mr L. Plant to er Zimmer Wade. I only pick Zimmer because it’s a more worthy winner of a car than William.
You watch it’s bound to turn out to be Mr Plant now and somebody will win with my original guess probably  Cllr Swift but if it’s him we will probably never find out.

R. S-S
george  
#33 Posted : 14 August 2009 09:30:59(UTC)
george

Morning All

Chatting to a man aged 87/88 re. the photo he is 90% certain the car belongs to Angela Ramsden-Jodrell who married Wing Commander Edward H Fielden, A.F.C. M.V.O. of the Royal Air Force, October 1940 at Taxal church. 

He also says the photo was taken before 1950.

Over to you R S-S or anyone would can came up with more details.

george

High Peak Harry  
#34 Posted : 14 August 2009 18:03:51(UTC)
High Peak Harry

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

You watch it’s bound to turn out to be Mr Plant now and somebody will win with my original guess probably  Cllr Swift but if it’s him we will probably never find out.

R. S-S

You're asking for trouble there aren't you? Keep an eye on who's coming up the garden path.

Fedup  
#35 Posted : 14 August 2009 21:11:06(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)
R.S-S likes to live dangerously!
george  
#36 Posted : 15 August 2009 18:26:46(UTC)
george

More info. on the car. A friend tells me it is an Austin Ten "Sherborne" and this model was only made in 1937 it looks in good condition.  Another piece to the jig-saw. This has topic proved more interesting than I anticipated.

george  

G. Jackson  
#37 Posted : 20 August 2009 08:15:17(UTC)
G. Jackson

What a good photograph, they seemed to be able to take better shots in the past than they can today. It wasn't done with a mobile phone perhaps. Anyway it brought back many memories, Plants little shop (just off camera ) and the 39 steps. The building directly behind the lantern of the lamp post was used as a garage by The Whaley Bridge and Buxton Cooperative Service, it had a petrol pump inside the garage. This would not be allowed under todays laws ( even selling petrol across the pavement is not allowed and this is why the garage at Horwich End had to close). The yard in which the Coop garage stood housed the Coop coal yard and never had gates locked. Many a bucketfull was taken when Bill Boston wasn't looking.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#38 Posted : 20 August 2009 08:46:54(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Goodness me Mr Jackson,

Are you referring to Bill Boston the free scoring Wigan rugby league player or Bill Boston our Town bobby?

Neither to be tangled with make no mistake.

R. S-S
george  
#39 Posted : 20 August 2009 14:03:52(UTC)
george

Hi Gnats

Looking back at your posting 22 you mention Lizzy Wright. Later in life she broke a bone, I think it was her arm but am not sure, she went to the doctors and asked for a sick note. The doc. ask how old she was 93 was a reply the doc asked why she wanted a sick note only to be told I am working at the Manufacturing Co. brewing up and a bit on sweeping, I can imagine she made hie day.

george

george  
#40 Posted : 20 August 2009 14:08:37(UTC)
george

Hi Gnats

Looking back at your posting 22 you mention Lizzy Wright. Later in life she broke a bone, I think it was her arm but am not sure, she went to the doctors and asked for a sick note. The doc. ask how old she was 93 was a reply, the doc asked why she wanted a sick note only to be told I am working at the Manufacturing Co. brewing up and a bit on sweeping, I can imagine she made his day.

george