logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#41 Posted : 20 August 2009 14:18:34(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

That’s not so strange George.

I seem to recall you were selling shoes when well into your nineties.

By the way George is there any news on the winner of the car? I still think Frankie and myself are in first place and as the competition has been running for a week now will you be announcing the winner this weekend and where can we pick up the keys? I imagine Frankie will want to take you out for a slap-up lunch on our first outing. I quite fancy the Copperfield myself; will that be OK for you George?

I’m not trying to influence your decision George and will abide by your decision but both Frankie and I are so much looking forward to that car.
Is it brand new?

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#42 Posted : 20 August 2009 17:41:25(UTC)
Gnatalee

George

Re posts 39/40

It was probably Lizzie's first sick note as well !    I don't think she was one of those who took 2 weeks off for a broken eyelash  (as happens today) !!!  Lizzie worked at the Manufacturing Co. (in her earlier working years ) with Win Winterbottom and in the "Mr Henri" era (he of Henri-Lloyd fame).  I often went to work with Win when on a week's visit - very entertaining and interesting (elf and safety wouldn't allow it now).  They were nice girls in the factory and I'd spend the afternoons in the park - wouldn't be allowed to go there on my own at that age nowadays !!    I also remember going to Horwich End to watch a big chimney being "blown-up" (the Mevrill ?) - early-mid sixties.  Happy days !

Thank you George for the "blast from the past" 

Gnats.

Edited by user 20 August 2009 19:04:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#43 Posted : 20 August 2009 19:17:11(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Gnatalee,

That was the gas tower you saw that was blown up.

I may have stood at your side when you saw it.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#44 Posted : 20 August 2009 20:19:32(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hmmm

My memory isn't that good that I would remember who was standing next to me (although I did think it was a chimney I was watching) !! What a shame I didn't know you were watching too, we could have discussed the merits of chimneys vs. gas towers 

Gnats

Edited by user 20 August 2009 20:20:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

barrwalk  
#45 Posted : 23 August 2009 08:33:05(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

As I  newcomer to Whaley Bridge (only here 6 years)  I hope you may allow me to partake in this thread and I hope it will not upset the venerable (or should it be unbearable) sages who frequent these pages. My contribution would be that the car was registered in Manchester because it has an XJ registration and that it would therefore have to be before 1964 when letters were added at the end of the registration number. Thank you for your indulgence!

P.S. I am not entering the competition to win a car either with or without a tank full of petrol thank you!

Edited by user 23 August 2009 08:34:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#46 Posted : 23 August 2009 09:34:16(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Too late, Mate,

The competition is over. Before you put pen to paper or finger to key board Frankie was off with his faithful hound to collect the keys from George. We shall have a run out this very afternoon in, what I expect to be, a very splendid automobile.

I am 100% convinced that Frankie was joking when he posted his photo of an old banger the likes of which you might find being fettled in The Iron Church.

Don’t let us down, George.

I shall report back later with detailed specifications of our prize.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#47 Posted : 23 August 2009 11:17:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning Gnatalee,

It’s taken me a long time to find it but found it I have.

It is the photo that shows the entrance to Cecil Turner’s Brasserie on Wharf Road. Only just, I know, but there it is.

By the way High Peak Harry a ‘brasserie’ is a high class restaurant not a fish and chip shop nor a ladies saucy support. Not that you would admit to having knowledge of either or indeed all three.

Turner’s: a great place to meet your mates. I see from the snapshot the, almost obligatory, lady with purse out at the kiosk making a transaction and it would appear that George has given up his job of holding Cecil’s scales in the correct position.

Perhaps he was in occupation on the other side of the street when this photo was taken?

R. S-S

WB0532 Market St Turners Shop by you.

Gnatalee  
#48 Posted : 23 August 2009 11:30:23(UTC)
Gnatalee

Good grief R.S-S !!

Its the same woman isn't it? How long has she been standing there? Perhaps she is a "cardboard cut-out" created by Mr Turner to give the impression that business is doing well.     
It appears she may be the only person left in the village judging by the lack of personages in Market Street.

Excellent photo. What replaced the shop - did Plants extend (I seem to remember it being bigger than in the picture).

Thanks 

Gnats

Edited by user 23 August 2009 11:32:46(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

High Peak Harry  
#49 Posted : 23 August 2009 14:37:40(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I thought a Brasserie was where things went to be brazed. This forum is a continual source of enlightenment and life enrichening experiences.

Don't the police call certain ladies of the night 'brasses', perhaps they live in such an establishment?

Fedup  
#50 Posted : 23 August 2009 19:03:25(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

What a mysterious photo! Who is the woman? What has happened to the child? Where are all the people? What time of day is it, indeed what day is it? Your photo throws up more questions than answers R.S-S.

Yes Gnatalee, you are quite right in thinking that Plants expanded into Turners.

Edited by user 23 August 2009 19:04:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#51 Posted : 25 August 2009 09:36:53(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hey Fedup,

A real treat to hear from you as always; I have obviously not given this photo enough consideration.

I think I have at least two other photos with the same lady on and all are taken on Market Street. The others I shall dig out for you this evening; but it is as you say: who is she, where has the child gone, where is the traffic, where are all the other people?

Have I misjudged Ces’ café? Maybe I have. I used to think it very daring and grown-up to eat one of his cider lollies.
Was Ces dealing in illicit or illegal substances in the early hours? Is the lady a customer or a dealer of some type?

Questions need to be asked and asked they will be.

Leave it to me Fedup I am on the case and I do not let the grass grow. I shall report back later.

Any news on the round, stone structure just around the corner? Indeed may they be in some way connected?

We did on the last forum briefly, right at the end, touch on Whaley Bridge’s prisons. Well that’s not one of them.

I won’t keep you waiting long, Pal.

R. S-S
snowy  
#52 Posted : 11 September 2009 08:02:22(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Looking at George's fine photograph of the Austin 10 outside Turner's brings back vague memories of the Dr Who-style St John's ambulance box on the right.

Does anyone have any idea what it was for? (No prizes offered).

Mr Stephenson-Smythe's photo of the same area looks like it may have been taken on a Sunday afternoon  judging by the lack of traffic and angle of the sun. The clock on the Mechanics, Plants modern-looking illuminated sign and the street lights would put it in the 1960's, but at the time as I recall nothing was allowed to open on Sundays apart from the newsagents, so it's maybe a bit surprising that Cecil was open for business.

parabuild  
#53 Posted : 11 September 2009 08:29:37(UTC)
parabuild

Man

There was another, identical, ambulance box in Furness Vale, at the front of the building which is now the famous chippy. I understand that these boxes contained a first aid kit, stretcher etc.

The photograph of Turner's with the car outside was also on display in the Library recently. According to their caption, the car was owned by Mrs Allen.

G. Jackson  
#54 Posted : 11 September 2009 09:46:04(UTC)
G. Jackson

A message for Snowy, Mr. Turners was certainly open on Sundays. I can remember going in for a well earned cuppa after I had finished my paper round. Lewis Carter always said I was the oldest paper " boy " on his staff. My paper bag contained over 120 Sunday papers and in those days they were carried not like todays little wimps with a shopping type trolley.
snowy  
#55 Posted : 22 September 2009 10:13:13(UTC)
snowy

Thanks parabuild. I don't want to become too obsessed with the ambulance boxes, but I'm just wondering when they would be used and by whom.

I guess they would have been kept locked, and in those days there were no mobile phones and even house phones were quite rare. So if there was an accident in Market Street, or if someone was taken ill, most people would't be able to open the box and it would be difficult to contact anyone from SJAB.

If you phoned 999 a normal ambulance would come anyway, so they wouldn't need the contents of the box.

Glad to hear G Jackson was delivering papers then, but surely he would have been on the mobility scooter so he shouldn't criticise today's paper boys and girls for using a trolley.

parabuild  
#56 Posted : 22 September 2009 11:57:21(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I can add very little to the story of the ambulance boxes. Some of the photographs published by Furness Vale History Society show the box in front of the building which now houses the chippy. These photos are undated but the dress of people in the pictures appears to be Edwardian. The box carries the words StJohn's Ambulance FV & WB Division. The boxes are obviously an early feature and predate the 999 service. Perhaps they were not locked as people were much more respectful of such equipment at that time.

The chippy building, by the way, appears to have been part of the shop next door, now Spencer's.  It straddled the colliery tramway which ran from Furness Clough, under Buxton Road and the railway, down to a canal wharf.

Frankie  
#57 Posted : 22 September 2009 13:23:58(UTC)
Frankie

Parabuild.

Would I be right in saying that the St  Johns first aid boxes would be locked but would have a key in a small box attached with a break glass to gain access to key.

Edited by user 22 September 2009 13:24:38(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#58 Posted : 22 September 2009 13:31:07(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Frankie

I'm afraid I just don't know.  The photos don't show a key cabinet but your supposition might well be correct.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#59 Posted : 22 September 2009 14:29:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

parabuild wrote:

I can add very little to the story of the ambulance boxes. Some of the photographs published by Furness Vale History Society show the box in front of the building which now houses the chippy. These photos are undated but the dress of people in the pictures appears to be Edwardian. The box carries the words StJohn's Ambulance FV & WB Division. The boxes are obviously an early feature and predate the 999 service. Perhaps they were not locked as people were much more respectful of such equipment at that time.

The chippy building, by the way, appears to have been part of the shop next door, now Spencer's.  It straddled the colliery tramway which ran from Furness Clough, under Buxton Road and the railway, down to a canal wharf.

Please keep up at the back Mr Parabuild,

If you read my posting on the Furness Chippy thread you will see I have given more information on the previous usages of the building (read my post number 38) and contributed a photo which shows High Peak Harry and your stretcher box (post number 57).

There is still some good historical information to be had around that chip shop by the way and if your camera is primed as usual you may get some good snaps of Victorian engineering when the leaves fall and the vegetation dies.

R. S-S
snoopy  
#60 Posted : 28 September 2009 08:29:09(UTC)
snoopy

Hi

Looking at the shop window I see that Darts Cigarettes are 4d for 10. Now inflation was quite high in the 50's from 51 to 56 so if anyone can remember when ciggies were 1/- for 30! it might be useful.