logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
G. Jackson  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2009 14:51:31(UTC)
G. Jackson

Groups: Member

Hi to everyone, as it is soon to be the 70th anniversary of World War Two the question will be where were you when the Prime Minister gave his famous speech"---were are now at war with Germany". I was with a group of friends just back from  football practice  ( I was in the first team for WB under 21s) when we passed Fred Bonsell's shop and a crowd was gathering to hear the broadcast.

As  a matter of interest I was at WB cinema when JFK was shot and in bed when NA first stepped on the moon.Also in raptures when Lauren Bacall said "You know how to whistle".

Edited by user 30 August 2009 18:51:17(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2009 15:13:47(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good afternoon G. Jackson.

I must say I do find most of your postings to be very interesting.

However, you may struggle getting replies to your latest question as I think you will find most members weren't born when war was declared. Your best bet is with one of the three elder statesmen of the forum (Jake, Fedup, R. Stephenson-Smythe) as they seem to have been around for a very long time.

G. Jackson  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2009 18:47:05(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Horwich Ender,

I probably know/knew their parents, I must be old as I can remember MOSES !!!! Mr. Moses Gould lived behind the Springbank Church on Whaley Lane on the alleyway that goes down to Reservoir Road. He has, as far as I can remember, a son Trevor. He lives in the little village near Whaley Bridge, Horwich End. I suppose the people from there will have their own forum. This brings up another question, were any of the regulars on the forum born in Whaley Bridge (Horwich End or Stepping Hill old or new hospitals or Corbar Hall invalidates genuine WB ers).. I WAS.

Edited by user 30 August 2009 18:50:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Horwich Ender  
#4 Posted : 30 August 2009 19:49:06(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening Jacko.

I hope you will permit me to call you Jacko as every male I know with the surname of Jackson in Whaley is known by this nickname.

You don't have to be old to remember Moses, he still lives in Whaley! To be exact he lives on Orchard Avenue and I believe he has upset some of his neighbours with a recent planning application.

I have to admit I do not pass your criteria as a genuine Whaley Bridger as I was not born in Whaley and live at the other end of town. However I do know many people who would meet your criteria but I do not think they are contributors to this forum.

You are certainly a genuine Whaley lad and I look forward to your future contributions, which, as I have stated previously, are very entertaining and informative.

By the way, are you in any way related to the legendary Brian Jackson (even though he's not a Whaley lad as he was born in Kettleshulme) who played cricket for Derbyshire and still lives at this end of town ?

G. Jackson  
#5 Posted : 31 August 2009 00:44:10(UTC)
G. Jackson

Firstly may I say how affronted I was to be called Jacko, it sounds like a dead American singer. Ugh. I am totally English and proud of it.. You may call me Mr. Jackson . The Moses I wrote about is unfortunately no longer with us and I don't want to upset Trevor with the mention of his name in fun. I know of young Brian and also his son who also plays cricket but I am not related at all to them and I would not know which end of a cricket club to pick up..

Edited by user 31 August 2009 00:50:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Frankie  
#6 Posted : 31 August 2009 11:59:32(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Mr Jackson I was born and bred on Goyt Road does that make me a full blooded pedigree Whaley Bridger. ? Trevor Gould is the son of the late IvanGould who was the son of Moses.

Scuba Man  
#7 Posted : 31 August 2009 12:26:02(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Frankie, you are well aware that Goyt Road is in Horwich End. Whilst you are, without doubt, a local, you can't call yourself a Whaley Bridger as you do not originate from Whaley.

Horwich Ender  
#8 Posted : 31 August 2009 13:23:57(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Hi Frankie.

I like yourself have always lived in Horwich End and I'm proud to be a local Horwich Ender. I'm not a Whaley Bridger and have never wanted to be known as such as there are some very strange people who come from the other end of town.

As for “Old Jacko” I'm not too sure what to make of him.

Frankie  
#9 Posted : 31 August 2009 18:04:48(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hi Horwich Ender,

Thanks for putting me right as yourself  I am proud to be an Horwich Ender and always will be. As the old saying goes "There is nowt wrong wi right folk". As for Mr Jackson he must have originated from Kettleshulme as I have relations from the said village who are Jacksons but on the other hand there are a few Jackson's in Buxworth . I was once told that the only Hill that  had not played cricket for Buxworth was Silk Hill.      P.S Many thanks to you also Scuba Man.

Edited by user 31 August 2009 18:11:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 31 August 2009 18:40:02(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

I would echo your sentiments Frankie,

I am proud to be an Horwich Ender and do not want a Whaley Bridge label under any circumstances.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#11 Posted : 31 August 2009 21:53:38(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Thank you Horwich Ender, I like the "elder statesman" bit!

Yes, I have been around for an awfully long time but not in Whaley Bridge. Only 30 or so years. Not long enough to be considered a Whaley Bridger.

But I am a M'Duck!

Edited by user 31 August 2009 21:55:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 31 August 2009 22:09:33(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Indeed you are. And you should be proud of that Fedup, M’Duck.

R. S-S
Dora Gibson  
#13 Posted : 01 September 2009 03:53:23(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Where was this G. Jackson born exactly and what does the G stand for? Apparently I am termed a silver surfer but I also get a double-trifle confused these days, what with being well past my sell-buy date, but I do understand the long time divide between Whaley Bridge and Horwich End. Does anyone remember Norman Heathcote who had the butchers shop on Market Street? I lived not very far away and got my daily rations from his shop. I have NEVER heard M'Duck in Whaley Bridge not EVER! I have heard this term in Buxton, but Buxton isn't Whaley is it? I think this is all getting a bit silly!
Dora Gibson  
#14 Posted : 01 September 2009 03:55:48(UTC)
Dora Gibson

P.S. I'm getting addicted to Sky TV and now the computer because I don't like taking sleeping tablets. Does anyone know of a herbal cure that might help me get a good nights kip?
G. Jackson  
#15 Posted : 01 September 2009 08:45:16(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Dora, I must agree about not hearing M'Duck in Whaley Bridge. I have heard Mi-Dog, Mi-Cat and Mi-Missus etc. I think M'Duck comes more from Staffordshire. I remember Norman Heathcote and his family who also had/have butchers shops in Bollington and Poynton. A tip for a good nights sleep in herbal terms would be 5 or 6 pints of herbal drink and if you want to know where the pubs in Whaley Bridge and it environs are Mr. Stephenson-Smythe seems to be our pub expert.
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 01 September 2009 09:05:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Dear Dora and Mr Jackson,

It is a shame you are both new on here and I certainly do not recall either of you on the last forum but certain things have now been set in stone on here such as calling Tesco the Corner Shop and there are many other examples.

A long, long time ago our much loved contributor who is Fedup startled us all with the revelation that where he originated from everyone called each other M’Duck. I think he came from a far off country near Norway from memory.
However, since that fateful day he has always been Fedup M’Duck. He is the only M’Duck on here and I am sure he is proud of that. That is the history of how this forum has developed and I’m afraid you will just have to go with the flow if something seems a little puzzling.

As for pubs do not look in my direction for advice you would be better served asking any of our Town Councillors.

Dora, you will be pleased to know that you can discard your sleeping tablets forthwith. A few moments reading this tripe will have you in the Land of Nod before you know it.

Could I finally ask both of you to increase the size of your typing as an avid reader of this forum has problems with small print. Thank you both.

R. S-S

Fedup  
#17 Posted : 01 September 2009 21:43:05(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Dora - try eating a banana before bed. In the land of M'Ducks it is a well known remedy for insomnia.

Edited by user 01 September 2009 21:43:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#18 Posted : 01 September 2009 23:01:46(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Dear Dora

Whenever I have trouble sleeping I take a mug of hot OXO, with, as a personal preference a sprinkling of black pepper. It works every time and I am sleeping soundly within a few minutes.

High Peak Harry  
#19 Posted : 02 September 2009 19:26:03(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I think you'll find M'duck is a Chesterfield/Notts term of endearment. In Staffs, well Stoke at any rate, the women call you 'Shug' as in sugar.

Personally speaking, I read some of Wily's posts to get off to sleep. Two sentences (usually his limit) and I'm out like a light.

wily  
#20 Posted : 02 September 2009 21:30:30(UTC)

Groups: Guest

High Peak Harry

You still do not appear to have answered our question put to you in post #32 in the “Whaley Bridge Town Centre” thread.

The members if this forum await your reply.