logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 21 September 2009 18:05:57(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

I would just like to say that I am very disappointed to see such personal attacks on this messageboard - I have spent a reasonable amount of time today  trying to answer a poster's plea for help. only to find that the same poster is personally attacking another well-established poster.    My help stops here

I am sorry but  it seems that a large number of posters do not seem to actually contribute, but just comment or criticise other posts - Dora, take note (I thought you were quite funny at the start, but your last postings were quite nasty - perhaps the time that you posted had an influence on your mood !)

I am not Whaley born or bred - and that probably accounts for quite a few contributors - but I have a strong family history association with Whaley and my postings on this board (local history) have received lots of help.

Thank you to all those who make POSITIVE postings.

I await being "shot down in flames"  - which seems to be the usual way of showing disagreement with a post !

Gnats

Edited by user 21 September 2009 18:15:58(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

silversurfer  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2009 18:55:48(UTC)
silversurfer

GNATS IF THE REBUKE WAS JUST I WOULD SAY SORRY,THANKS FOR YOUR EFFORTS..

Horwich Ender  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2009 19:03:02(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Well said Gnats.

The sooner Silversurfer/G Jackson/Doris Gibson disappears the better.

silversurfer  
#4 Posted : 21 September 2009 19:25:52(UTC)
silversurfer

WELL HORWICHBENDER YOU SEEM TO LIKE FITTING THE SURFER UP,ONLY THE MODERATORS KNOW THE TRUTH..................YOU TAKE CARE NOW

Frankie  
#5 Posted : 22 September 2009 10:34:34(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Horwich Ender & Gnats I  agree with your comments 100% . There has been some nasty offensive remarks made on this Forum recently. For one instance R.S-S has contributed some very interesting topics on this Forum and I note that Dora has made some rude and unprovoked comments on his postings.  I feel that this Forum could be taking a downward slide regarding recent rude comments made. Let us try and continue to keep the  Forum as it is intended and not slanging matches.

Edited by user 22 September 2009 10:38:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 22 September 2009 10:46:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi Frankie,

You need bother not about me my friend. Those people’s postings mean nothing to me at all. They offend members of this forum and show themselves up for what they are. But offensive to me? Not really.

By the way Frankie I shall ignore Dora and later this afternoon I shall post an old photograph on here that I have never seen until the other day and you might very well feature in it.
But you will have to wait and see. Firstly I must get it to the stage where I can upload it and I have rather a tricky job on this morning: I have been trying to talk my glass eye to sleep but it just won’t nod off for some reason.

R. S-S

RockBanker  
#7 Posted : 22 September 2009 10:51:20(UTC)
RockBanker

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

Gnatalee wrote:

I would just like to say that I am very disappointed to see such personal attacks on this messageboard  

I too have been dismayed by sudden increase in the number of personal attacks and inane posting on the site. It may well be that they are the continuation of private joshing and teasing from within a group who know each other well and as such accept it as a normal part of their social interaction. However I feel that it is not appropriate for a public forum and that many will be discouraged from contributing if it continues.

Edited by user 22 September 2009 12:08:29(UTC)  | Reason: too many feels

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
CllrJonG  
#8 Posted : 22 September 2009 10:55:33(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Can I remind all that when you register , you agree to the following:

You agree not to post any abusive, vulgar, obscene, hateful, slanderous, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being permanently banned from this forum. Note that all IP address are logged and may aid in enforcing these conditions.

I would ask that if anyone considers postings to infringe these conditions, then would they use the 'Report Abusive' button to alert people.

The forum has taken a downward turn recently, with a small number of contributors responsible for most of it.

The situation is being monitored, and unless some restraint is shown and self moderation prevails, action will have to be taken.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
High Peak Harry  
#9 Posted : 22 September 2009 17:56:53(UTC)
High Peak Harry

I think surfer/jackson/gibson are suffering from Schizophrenia. They should get to the quacks quick.
snoopy  
#10 Posted : 23 September 2009 07:54:07(UTC)
snoopy

Being a member of many forums for many different reasons I know you have to take the rough with the smooth.

But I must admit a forum where there are not many members and most of them relatively new, i.e. less than two years, like this one and where they snipe at each other so much I have not come across before. There are definitely people here with problems who use this forum as a way of venting their anger.

I find the postings of RSS funny and I can see he knows a lot about the area and is an asset  to the forum, how anyone can critisize him so much is unbelievable and they should step back for a minute or two and question why they do it. Then they should question if they are of any gain/use to this forum.

Totally agree with the person who starts a thread about history that turns into a large debate about a chip shop, methinks moderators should move/delete posts a bit more to stop that happening. I must admit I did find it funny about an earth shattering event such as a new chip shop should create such a large debate, I think there are people on here connected to that chip shop, and not the person that keeps being asked!

Still I find it an overall interesting forum, and I know I am new to it, and when some members either come to their senses or leave it will be even better.

I will now shut up and await a response, off to the chippy later today:)

Edited by user 23 September 2009 07:57:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dora Gibson  
#11 Posted : 23 September 2009 22:22:21(UTC)
Dora Gibson

Dear all and sundry, What's the problem and can't you cope with a dear, old lady? I don't for one minute believe any of you are who you profess to be. So like yous all, (yes, I have Irish ancestry) I'm just adding fun to the nonsensical fun you all portray. Any-roads-up, I'm thinking of having a bonfire party with plenty of everything and that includes booze and food and I was a wondering, who might like to come? I think Gibson might be away on one his silly bike rallies, which will be good for me because he can be embarrassing when he's had a few............... pints included. So what do yous all say? This is me making up for the misunderstandings................ By-the-way, who LOVES black puddings, 'cos I surely do and have them for breakfast and supper. Do you like them boiled or fried? That is the question and a true example of who and what you really are! Answers please, as this is vital to my well-being.......................! Mrs Dora Gibson et al.................
snoopy  
#12 Posted : 24 September 2009 07:44:07(UTC)
snoopy

Just a thought.

Could we have a new section where people can have games with other people about who they are and who they are not, and really anything else that is not to do with Whaley.

The idea being that we can have sections regarding Whaley itself so we don't have to wade through "fun" stuff to get to the meat.

Just a thought.

tyke  
#13 Posted : 24 September 2009 08:45:54(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Hear Hear, lets keep the "fun" stuff in a separate place a third option on the forum for "witty" banter then when real topics come up we can follow a thread sensibly. If anybody veered off topic the thread or part of it could be moved by the admins to this section for all and sundry to carry on with their banter....away from the main topic. Hopefully that should please all (or one or two depending on how many aliases some contributors have!)

Edited by user 24 September 2009 08:47:41(UTC)  | Reason: typo error

parabuild  
#14 Posted : 24 September 2009 09:51:19(UTC)
parabuild

Man

It's a good suggestion but it would be difficult to isolate the "fun and banter" as it usually arises from the original topic of the thread. Some fascinating and informative threads have recently included a comic element without detracting too much from the subject and have perhaps added a little enjoyment.  Surely all we can ask is that people try not to stray too far and stay within the guidelines of the forum.

Nigel  
#15 Posted : 24 September 2009 11:24:14(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Totally agree Parabuild. Some of the banter and humorous comments are what makes this a vibrant and entertaining forum. It would be very difficult to isolate postings as they usually derive from the original topic heading. The last thing we need are “Administrators” switching and deleting individual postings. All we can ask of members is that they try not to wander to far away from the initial subject.

tyke  
#16 Posted : 24 September 2009 13:56:11(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

I do agree that humour is a very important part of the forum, within a topic or even as an aside remark however funny is valid, its really only when things stray and stay strayed permanently that the topic could be re-stared under a different heading, subject or section. I wouldn't like to see houmour disappear from this forum but do feel perhaps its beginning, sometimes, to stray a little too far and is putting some contributors off making valid points.

snoopy  
#17 Posted : 24 September 2009 17:17:05(UTC)
snoopy

Yes, I agree with parabuild, nigel, tyke. Humour is important and to "ban" it would be hard and not sane, I maybe didn't mean that far and I take your point.

The word "banter" is an interesting one, "light hearted humour" is one description, but I don't like it when it falls into some of the remarks that I have seen on the forum.

So as said in previous posts, keep close to the topic, or start another one, and look up the word "banter" and try to stick to that as well. Maybe if that had been done before today there would have been no need for this thread/topic. 

Horwich Ender  
#18 Posted : 24 September 2009 17:39:36(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Although I share the concerns of other forum members about the content of recent postings, I think we have to be very careful here. We could end up with the situation where administrators are making personal judgements about whether the content of a posting is suitable or not. We have already had instances of postings being removed at the request of local councillors because they consider them to be inconsiderate and impolite. Just ask R. Stephenson-Smythe or Fedup.

At the moment we live in a country where there is freedom of speech and as long as the post is not sexually-oriented, vulgar, obscene, threatening, hateful, abusive, or slanderous it should not be edited, deleted or moved by any moderator.

R.S-S has been the target of recent attacks but has risen above them and stated they do not offend him. I believe we should all take the lead from R. S-S and simply ignore certain comments which appear to be coming from one individual.

Denise.  
#19 Posted : 24 September 2009 18:14:11(UTC)

R.S.S may not be easily offended but tread very carefully with High Peak Harry................it doesn't take much to upset him and get him bleating “HARASSMENT.”

Jovial Jester  
#20 Posted : 24 September 2009 19:45:05(UTC)

I've had a post removed on this forum without explanation. I still have no idea why it was deleted because in no way could it be described as offensive. Censorship is a very dangerous route to go down and is not something to be encouraged.

We are all adults and should act accordingly. If there is someone making unsavory comments just ignore them and eventually they will go away. We do not need moderators deciding what is, or is not appropriate. 

J J