logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gnatalee  
#1 Posted : 22 September 2009 20:50:58(UTC)
Gnatalee

Groups: Member

Well, back to local history !

I have a query regarding Bridge street and hope someone can help me.  R.S-S put an excellent photograph of old Bridge Street with the corn mill - see the following link:    http://www.whaleybridge....?g=posts&t=166 

It has been pointed out that the present-day cottages by the bridge were built in 1913. 

In the 1891 census there are two families living in Bridge Street, one of whom is an ancestor of mine (Brooks) and the other appears to be the person running the mill - see the file which I have attached. 

My questions are:

When did the mill close down?

Is it possible that the cottages were "tied" to the mill for workers?

This same relative was originally on the canal boats and lived in Vaux Row (now Johnson Street) by the canal.  They remained in Whaley Bridge, but I am now investigating whether the youngest (Arthur) emigrated to America.

Thanks

Gnats

Edited by user 22 September 2009 20:55:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
1891 Bridge Street.jpg (417kb) downloaded 69 time(s).
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#2 Posted : 22 September 2009 21:03:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Gnatalee my dear friend,

That is an excellent post and what this forum should be all about.

It is late for me tonight but I shall give it my best shot to come up with some answers for you.

Maybe I will be pipped to the post by others on here (?) but I will reply by the weekend.

How nice to see a reasoned and interesting topic.

Thank you.

R. S-S
Frankie  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2009 15:27:47(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Gnatalee you are a star.

Over the last few weeks I have spent quite some time trying to trace my mothers Ancestors with nil results.Your posting of census has revealed the information I have searched for.Schedule 227  shows William Goddard, Stone Mason,(my Great Grandfather,) Sarah (G Grandma,)Hetty,Clara,(my Grandma,)Agnes,and Florence (Great Aunts). I remember Agnes and Florence but not Hetty as she was never mentioned. (she may have been the black sheep of the family). I would like to trace Clara's marriage and birth of my Mother,  moving forward to her marriage etc. Perhaps you could point me in the right direction to gain further family ancestory up to present date. Thanks Again.  

Edited by user 23 September 2009 15:28:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2009 16:58:26(UTC)
Gnatalee

Frankie

You need to start in the present and work backwards. Starting with you, your parents, grandparents etc. If you don't work this way round you may possibly waste a lot of time and money.

Check the birth and marriage certificates you have access to.

Use FreeBMD to find births/marriages/deaths - here's the link: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

Have found Hetty on the 1901 and attach the page - still living in George Street, but name printed as Etty.

Assuming Hetty is short for a more formal name, there is a possible marriage for a Harriet Goddard in 1908 - see Word doc. attached.

Hope this helps.

Gnats

Edited by user 23 September 2009 16:59:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2009 17:01:05(UTC)
Gnatalee

Ooops!

Didn't attach the files !!  

File Attachment(s):
Bridge Street 1901.jpg (509kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
Goddard marriage.doc (43kb) downloaded 59 time(s).
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#6 Posted : 23 September 2009 18:07:55(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hi Gnatalee,

Doing this is rather piecemeal I’m afraid regarding the Corn Mill I have several documents relating to it which I will dig out this weekend but according to John Warren the undershot water wheel was re-timbered in May 1855 by John Hamson. You may find him on one of the old census documents for Whaley probably listed as a carpenter. So we can safely assume it was a working mill in 1855 although I recall the roof collapsed some time later but as I say I will investigate later.
In the meantime I attach a photo of the water wheel. I know it has been on here before but; well here it is again, as if by magic.

R. S-S

WBP0063 Corn Mill by you.

Fedup  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2009 18:48:58(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Can I just say that I am finding all this quite fascinating.

Due to reasons which I will not go into I am unable to research my own family history, so I get quite excited when people find things out about their own ancestors!

Oh dear,  I hope that doesn't sound a bit weird!!

Edited by user 23 September 2009 18:52:30(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Gnatalee  
#8 Posted : 23 September 2009 20:56:15(UTC)
Gnatalee

Frankie

Regarding the Goddards:

On the 1881 census William and Sarah are living in Fairfield at Barms House, they have two daughters, Elizabeth (12) and Hetty (6).

Also, there is William Goddard on the 1861 census at the following link: http://freepages.genealo...1861_fernilee_5.html#p11

This link is to the excellent local family history/localhistory site of Marjorie Ward - always a fasinating read and people in your locality are extremely lucky to have such a fantastic resource - thank you Marjorie

Links to both her sites are as follows:

North West Derbyshire Resources:  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dusk/index.htm

for Disley, Lyme Handley; Taxal & Whaley:   http://www.disley.net/

Gnats

Edited by user 23 September 2009 21:18:48(UTC)  | Reason: additional info

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#9 Posted : 27 September 2009 13:02:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Well Gnatalee I said it was going to be a little piecemeal and indeed it is.

But here goes the second installment:

The grant of use of a watercourse to run the Cornmill was signed on the 1st June, 1780. The owner of the Corn Mill at that time was Peter Legh of Lyme Hall. (More about the Legh family and Old Silverheels later on just for you Parabuild).
The building was known officially as Whaley Mill.
The rent for the water course (Goat as we now call it) was 2 guineas per year and it was for a term of 500 years.
The Mill was managed by Jabez Clegg.

In the year 1800 the Methodist used the Whaley Mill for religious services. In 1808 a room was fitted out to become a Sunday School and later in 1811 another room had to be fitted out as by now there were 300 scholars attending.

In 1907 it was in the ownership of Sir Edmund Buckley and he let it for manufacturing purposes and it was last used by Mr. Adam Morten as a barytes works.  Cork was brought from the lead mines in the Bradwell and Castleton district, and there made into barytes, which is used in the manufacture of paint.

On Sunday afternoon on the 2nd June 1912 the whole roof collapsed.

A couple of weeks later our local Council wrote to Sir Edmund complaining about the state of Whaley Mill and he started immediately to have it demolished. You know how the site was redeveloped Gnatalee.

The Mill House was, of course, attached to the old mill and stood on the site of the present Co-Op Pharmacy.
Later the Mill House was turned into an inn, called the Old Tankard and I think we all should know the history of it from that time until today.

Hope this helps.

R. S-S

WBP0063 Corn Mill by you.

Gnatalee  
#10 Posted : 27 September 2009 13:47:49(UTC)
Gnatalee

Well R.S-S, yet again you've come up with the goods concerning the Bridge Street corn mill. I find this all fascinating - hadn't a clue what barytes were (or how to pronounce the word) !   Looking at the date the roof collapsed it didn't take long for the new houses to be built, did it? I shall relay this information to my Dad about how his place of birth came to be - after the football has finished, of course !! 

Thanks for your efforts and keep posting ! 

Gnats

Edited by user 27 September 2009 13:50:16(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 27 September 2009 15:30:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon Gnatalee,

I have seen another one of your relatives this week: Mr Les Jones of the joinery firm Longden and Jones. He seems to have taken up walking for a living.

You will remember talking about Wharf Road and that is where they operated from and still do although Les is now retired. Les was probably the best bench joiner in the district and, as I have said another one of your relatives, Wilf ‘Digger’ Morris was probably the best plasterer to have hailed from Whaley. In fact your ancestors would have done Sarah Beeny proud and one or two of them could have given her a damn good haircut.

I’ve found a couple more photos of the Corn Mill but I’ll post them later this week.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#12 Posted : 27 September 2009 17:51:05(UTC)
Gnatalee

R.S-S

That is a very interesting post, if you don't mind me saying so !   I can see I am going to have to start investigating the Jones part of the family tree even more now !    I know of the Morris branch (but only because I found out a number of years back that Phyllis Morris actually was living in the same town as us).

You can rest assured though that our branch of the family would have been no use whatsoever to Sarah Beeny   - although my mother could have given her a nice hairdo !!

I would be interested to hear any info about our extended family, I'm not sure how this could be achieved though, having regard to personal info being broadcast online.   As I have said before, my father gets a little confused about "who's who" and his memory is not the best, which is why I am always happy to hear of Whaley history and snippets of news etc.

Thank you - you are doing a great job !!

Gnats

Edited by user 27 September 2009 17:53:40(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified