logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#21 Posted : 10 January 2010 16:01:48(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well done R.S-S.

And amen!

Edited by user 10 January 2010 16:02:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#22 Posted : 10 January 2010 17:54:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hey Fedup,

382 viewings for an almost Cecil B Demille like effort.

And I’ll bet 350 of those were from me and you.

I thought it would be interesting but I have been proved wrong.

Never mind we live to fight another day and it’s onwards and upwards.

Shall we forget local history for a couple of weeks Fedup?

How do you feel like a bit of Council baiting?

Say the word and I’ll get stuck in with an opening post.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#23 Posted : 10 January 2010 18:52:42(UTC)
Fedup

Actually R.S-S, I honestly did find it very interesting. I have a very deep fondness for the Memorial Park, and it is good to glean some historical information on it. Well done you.

As for Council baiting - I don't have to try. The minute I mention them I am accused of being sarcastic and contemptuous, and Cllr Jon hasn't offered to come and knock on my door to see if I am OK in this awful weather, so I will leave it to the "favoured" ones for the time being
!

Edited by user 10 January 2010 18:53:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snowy  
#24 Posted : 11 January 2010 08:26:10(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

A most interesting insight into how things were done in the 1920's, but RSS's tale of committee folk raises as many questions as it answers.

I wonder, for instance, why the Park Commitee needed 26 members, and what were their precise duties. And how many sub-committees were there? And who elected them in the first place?

I was pleased to see though that despite their rather stiff appearance in the picture many of them were inclined to the left.

Fedup  
#25 Posted : 11 January 2010 19:01:47(UTC)
Fedup

I believe that some 50 years ago the Park had two full time keepers, so the fact that the Park Committee had 26 members is not that surprising.

Anybody got any information on these keepers?

Sorry if this has gone off subject. No doubt "someone" will move it if they feel it should be under a different topic.

Edited by user 11 January 2010 19:02:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snowy  
#26 Posted : 12 January 2010 07:50:13(UTC)
snowy

I remember the park keeper's HQ was a hut something like a large garden shed near the war memorial at the top of the slope going down to the Goyt Road entrance. Is it still there? It must have been a decent job, secure and out in the fresh air all day, with no-one breathing down your neck.

As far as I remember from 50 years ago there was only one keeper. I'm sure he was a very nice man but to the kids at the time, of which I was one, he seemed quite grumpy and scary, always telling us off for walking on the grass or mis-using the swings. 

Slightly more than 50 years ago he caught me riding my bike in the park and threatened to "report" me, I suppose to the park committee, but I'm still waiting to hear from them. Probably they are still trying to decide which sub-committee should deal with the matter.

Edited by user 12 January 2010 08:18:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Curious  
#27 Posted : 12 January 2010 12:43:20(UTC)
Curious

Woman

I seem to remember it being 'old' Mr Ashworth who was the Park Keeper and he lived on Reddish Avenue, but I may be wrong?
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#28 Posted : 12 January 2010 13:12:16(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

You are certainly not wrong Mrs Curious.

Jack Ashworth was the Park Keeper and he was very good at his job.

He was formerly course manager at Whaley Bridge Golf Club.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#29 Posted : 12 January 2010 13:18:20(UTC)
Fedup

snowy wrote:

Slightly more than 50 years ago he caught me riding my bike in the park and threatened to "report" me, I suppose to the park committee, but I'm still waiting to hear from them. Probably they are still trying to decide which sub-committee should deal with the matter.

Nothing changes then does it?

george  
#30 Posted : 12 January 2010 21:53:39(UTC)
george

HI

I remember Mr.Reg. White who lived in one of the Co-op houses on Buxton Rd. The third house from Wheatsheaf Rd. heading in the direction of the school, he was very concientious park-keeper and would walk through the park at night to try and stop his good work being spoiled (by some of the local idiots) so everybody could enjoy it. He had something unusual to for to-day he took a pride in his work. 

Interesting you mention swings in the park I remember the first one plus a seesaw (however you spell it) in1951. Kids don't realise how lucky they are to-day.

george

Fedup  
#31 Posted : 12 January 2010 22:04:44(UTC)
Fedup

When did the job of Park Keeper in the Memorial Park become obsolete?

Edited by user 12 January 2010 22:05:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 12 January 2010 22:43:16(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

George,

You disappoint me,

What about the slide and the roundabout?

R. S-S

Frankie  
#33 Posted : 13 January 2010 03:08:05(UTC)
Frankie

Come on R. S-S  what about part 7 (Sewing Mill Bridge)

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#34 Posted : 13 January 2010 08:12:00(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

29 June 1929

park committee

On behalf of the Labour Party Mr T. Turner asked for the use of the Weir fields for a rally on July 20th.    The committee refused the application and expressed the view that a memorial park should not be used for any kind of political demonstration.     There has been considerable trouble in the park, with youths cycling about.    Older people have had narrow escapes from being knocked down.    The chairman reported that notices had been posted at each end of the park stating cycling is prohibited, and that offenders would be prosecuted.    So far the notices have been effective.    It was decided to operate the bye-laws against future offenders in cycling.   The penalty is a fine not exceeding £5.

5 April 1930

park committee

Consideration was given to the provision of playing apparatus for the children.    It was decided to purchase two merry-go-rounds, one for the Weir fields, and the other for the playground at Horwich End.    About 20 to 30 children can use the merry-go-round at once.    Other equipment will be added in the course of time.

3 May 1930

memorial park committee

objection to joy-wheel site

The Clerk reported that two whirling platforms had been purchased and the work of erection had been commenced.    As soon as the work had been started at the Horwich End Lane field a petition was presented against the site of that platform.    As a result of that petition, the committee on Monday night viewed another site and decided on another position.    Even then there was opposition to the new site, so the erection of that platform was not being proceeded with at present.    It is hoped to have the other platform on the Weir Field ready for children at the end of the present week.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#35 Posted : 13 January 2010 08:19:16(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Frankie wrote:

Come on R. S-S  what about part 7 (Sewing Mill Bridge)

Hello Frankie,

My records are quite obviously not as up to date as your own.

So may I leave Part 7 to your very good self?

I would be very interested in who was contracted to build the Sewing Mill Bridge.
Z & W are my chief suspects.

Looking forward in anticipation of your reply.

R. S-S
george  
#36 Posted : 13 January 2010 11:25:09(UTC)
george

Morning R S-S the slide and roundabout came later but I can't remember when. There was another bridge in the park not been mentioned so far as well as the sewing works bridge.

george

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#37 Posted : 13 January 2010 12:55:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

George, George,

Of course what am I thinking of?

You mean this one, I assume, at the back of Walker and Howells that is a short cut into the Park.

Why I went across it only the other evening on my way up to Whaley Hall to see Jamie. Sadly he wasn’t at home but I shall go again soon.

Right come on George where is your secret bridge?

R. S-S
Frankie  
#38 Posted : 13 January 2010 13:00:18(UTC)
Frankie

The original bridge over the river Goyt of which  R.S-S. has detailed was replaced in the early 1959/60 by the new bridge which is known as Sewing Mill Bridge.The old bridge which was located down a path by the side of Clr Jons property. After completion of the new bridge the old steel bridge was removed to allow the present detached house to be constructed on the spare land adjacent to the entrance footpath to the old bridge. This property was built for Mr Jackson JP. Z&W. Wade built the new Sewing Mill Bridge and resited the old steel bridge to its present position near to the play park, crossing the Todbrook stream at the Goyt Junction.

G. Jackson  
#39 Posted : 13 January 2010 16:04:18(UTC)
G. Jackson

Obviously R S-S cannot remember as far back as George but even George must be able to remember the park keeper before Jack Ashworth and Reg. White. He was Mr. Barnes, always known to us kids as Barney. He lived in the second house up Macc. Road from Goyt Road next to Mrs. Eve Eastwood (more of her later). Barney's daughter Irene married Tom Turner from Kettleshulme.

Barney used to patrol the park at night even though he was off duty as he didn't want any of us naughty boys doing things we shouldn't do. (what would he have thought of todays teenagers?)

His tour of duty was from early 1921  for about 6 years.

Mrs. Eastwood made meat pies which she sold in the shop on the corner of Macc./Goyt  Roads. They were the best pies ever and she went from there with her husband Fred to  36, Jodrell Meadow and I believe she is still alive and living (97 years old ) in a home in New Mills.       coincidence !!!!

Edited by user 13 January 2010 16:05:16(UTC)  | Reason: spelling mistake

frjamie@talktalk.net  
#40 Posted : 13 January 2010 18:51:51(UTC)

Groups: Guest

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Hi R S S,

Sorry I missed you,  as I was out looking for an old Lady  with the Police, who had dissapeared,  and did not know the area she was from the Midlands,  and in her mid 70's.  

Sadly she was not dressed for the weather. 

Do give me a call if you are coming over so that I will be in !

Hope all is well.

Jamie

George, George,

Of course what am I thinking of?

You mean this one, I assume, at the back of Walker and Howells that is a short cut into the Park.

Why I went across it only the other evening on my way up to Whaley Hall to see Jamie. Sadly he wasn’t at home but I shall go again soon.

Right come on George where is your secret bridge?

R. S-S