logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2010 14:46:30(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

This may  be of interest to the Friends of Whaley Park, members of the Bowling Club, Whaley Football Club, Fedup or more likely absolutely nobody.
Now don’t let me down Fedup.

It’s a tale of as one bridge appears another disappears, political infighting between the Park Committee and The Bowling Club.
And would you believe it: German guns?
Yes brace yourselves: German guns. Granted not quite the Guns of Navarone but German guns all the same.

Most of the text is from old Press cuttings. Feel free to comment on any or all these articles as often as you like; or more probably not at all.
It’s all a bit long and drawn out and extremely boring in places, (I had trouble staying awake whilst typing it) so I shall present it in 5 or 6 episodes.

Hey, now there you go, ‘episodes’ it’s sounding better already.  Personally I can’t wait.

Right let’s get going it’s already 2010 and this is going to be a mighty long job.

(NB: Blue text is from Press Cuttings; Black text is from Your’s Truly)

PART 1:

12 November 1921

ANOTHER BRIDGE

Whaley Bridge has many bridges, and the place does not belie its name. Another has been added just recently. It gives access from the premises of the Bowling Club to the War Memorial Park, and thence on to the football field. Originally there was but a plank here. But now there is a substantial bridge. This particular bridge is the property of the Bowling Club, and is for the use of members only.

3 June 1922

A ROAD TO THE PARK

For a considerable time people have been gaining access to the park by a bridge from the Bowling and Tennis Club's premises.    This is much more convenient for residents of Buxton road than going by Reservoir Road or Macclesfield Road entrances. On Sunday there was a concert in the park and people going by the Bowling Club entrance were surprised to find the gate locked and the bridge closed. Naturally this gave rise to much comment.

The fact is that the bridge in question was erected originally by the Football Club, whose headquarters and dressing rooms are at the Bowling Club, for the convenience of access to the football field through the park. The bridge was found very convenient for members of the Bowling Club, who reside at the Macclesfield Road side of the village, so the bridge was purchased by the Bowling Club, who pay an annual acknowledgement to the Park Committee for the privilege.

There was a desire to make the bridge a public entrance to the park. The Bowling Club was willing to allow the privilege provided the Co-operative Society would give access to the bridge from their land. The Co-operative Society declined to do so for reasons which have already been stated, but they offered an alternative road at the other end of their property at a nominal rent of 5s, a year. A bridge has not yet been erected and there the matter stands for the present. The Bowling Club is not open on Sundays and the attitude of the Bowling Committee is that they cannot permit a public highway to run through their premises.

Many people call the Bowling Club a public club. It is no more a public club than the Co-operative Society is a public society. The privileges of either institution are dependent upon membership thereof, and the committee of each have a perfect right to do what they think fit with their property. The views of the committee and the views of the community may not coincide, but that does not alter the fact. People have made a practice of using the Bowling Club entrance to the park without need, and when either of the other entrances would be more convenient. The way to prevent friction is for the Park Committee to erect the bridge they now have the permission to build from the Co-operative Society's land.

28 June 1924

THE MEMORIAL PARK

Several important matters were discussed at the meeting of the War Memorial Park Committee on Monday evening:

It was reported that Taxal Parish Council had been invested with the powers of the Open Spaces Act and had confirmed the bye laws for the control of the park. The park cannot be closed at any time because a public footpath runs through it. There is a great demand for a bridge to be erected over the river so as to give access to the park from Buxton road. The Co-operative Society has prevented people going over their premises because of the damage done to property and access has now to be gained from Reservoir road or Macclesfield road.
The committee cannot raise the necessary funds because the spending powers of Parish Councils are limited and they can do little beyond maintain the park. A swimming gala was held last summer at which a considerable sum of money was raised. The members felt that another aquatic gala would be as great a success and it was decided to ask the same committee to organise another gala to raise funds to provide a bridge. It is hoped the public will give every support to the object, which, when accomplished, will be a great public convenience. (Er hope not)

The committee decided to accept three guns captured by the Sherwood Foresters from the Germans during the Great War and place them in a suitable position in the park.

What!! Captured German guns eh? Now I wonder what happened to them then.
Perhaps Cllr Jon has them strategically positioned around Toddbrook for reasons best known to himself.

Fedup  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2010 18:45:57(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Goodness R.S-S. That was some post for so early in the year. At this point, may I wish you all the best for 2010.

Now, I have to confess that I am a little confused. The bridge that now bestrides the river - that I presume is not the one referred to in your post? When was this bridge built then, and the bridge between the Bowling Club and the Park dismantled? Or am I off track completely?

As for the German guns - were these not used to shoot holes in the dreadful piece of "sculpture" which adorned the Park for some time? The one that Chapel refused to take? Are you saying that Cllr Jon shot holes in this monstrosity and then took the guns up to Toddbrook to get rid of Colin and his family?

Does this mean that WBTC have secret WMD's, which could be used against anyone who dares to contradict them?

This is truly scary stuff R.S-S, and I would suggest you proceed with care.

Edited by user 02 January 2010 18:47:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2010 19:19:05(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Message received and understood, Fedup,

I knew you would not let me down my good friend.

On your good advice I intend to tread carefully on here; rather like I have to do outside in this inclement weather.
It is so pleasing that the Council are looking after us. Not.

As regards to the current thread wait till you get to the bit where – No I’m not going to spoil it for you.

Fedup, all the very best for this year to you and yours; you have amused me so much this past year it has been an absolute pleasure to debate with you.

R.S-S
CllrJonG  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2010 22:00:05(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

All right, I confess.

The 3 German guns are at the end of my garden next to the remains of the Horwich end fountain and the Whaley bridge town Fountain. I also have the steel pipes that ran across the river Goyt next to Taxal duckpond, and everything else metallic which has gone missing from Whaley Bridge over the last 100 years, incliuding several gritter lorries and a snowplough. The 'target' sculpture wasn't metallic, so someone else must have that.

Seriously, it is possible that any old metal lying around in 1945 was simply scrapped and sent off to help build tanks etc for WW2. This was when many of the iron railings at the front of houses in Buxton Road disappeared too. My understanding is that the iron was generally found to be of such low quality that it was unusable, and much of the loss of architecturally important ironwork could have been avoided. The guns would have been good quality steel though.

The information about the guns is fascinating. I wonder if there are any pictures.It's the sort of thing someone would almost certainly take a picture of.

Yet again you come up with some great stuff R.S.S. I will point Christine Latham from HPBC at this post, as she is managing the project trying to obtain a £460K  Heritage Lottery Fund grant for the park. She is looking for historical info and old pictures of the park.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2010 10:06:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good morning JonG,

Excellent post number 4 of yours on this subject if I might say so.

Sadly I have to report your iron railings probably did not get melted down and cast into bullets to fire at Germans (or Cormorants); they are probably at the bottom of the Thames with all the rest of the war effort railings.

As regards the German guns lying around in 1945 (by which time the war was all but over); well they weren’t.

But you will have to wait for PART 2 which is coming along shortly.

I might try selling ice cream in the interval.

Riveting isn’t it.

R. S-S
CllrJonG  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2010 10:26:14(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

I have moved a couple of posts which were about gritting to a new thread called Winter Weather. Hope no-one minds , but it was off subject and is very annoying to people wanting to read this thread which is about the park.

Cheers

Jon.

Edited by user 03 January 2010 10:45:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2010 18:28:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

PART 2:

2 August 1924

the park and the guns

A long discussion ensued on the placing in the park of guns captured by the Sherwood Foresters from the Germans.
This has been the subject of public controversy, and letters have appeared in the "Reporter" on the subject. The members of the committee are divided on the subject, but it was stated there was no desire whatever to hurt anyone's feelings.
Under the circumstances, it was decided in deference to public opinion, not to carry out, at present, the resolution passed at the last meeting to place the guns in the park.
To raise funds for the erection of a bridge that will give access to the park from Buxton road, a swimming gala is to be held in the Mevril Bleachworks reservoir on August 23rd.

Not the Lido at Blackpool then?

Can anyone remember the Meveril Reservoir? It somehow does not have the correct ring to it: Swimming Gala – Meveril Reservoir.
Still it was 1924. All the same I hope the Health and Safety people aren’t reading this. 

4 October 1924

memorial park

A meeting of the War Memorial Park Joint Committee was held on Monday evening at the Mechanics' Institute.
The question of erecting a bridge over the river to gain access to the park from Buxton road was discussed. It was decided to obtain specifications for a bridge similar to the one which spans the river near Taxal Church. That has lattice work upon it, and is considered safer for children.
Anyone discovered doing damage or using the Park contrary to the regulations can be punished as the bye-laws direct.

29 November 1924

the new bridge

Whaley Bridge has many bridges, and it is to have another which will give access to the War Memorial Park from Buxton road.    Tenders for the erection of the bridge were discussed by the Park Committee on Monday's meeting, and it was decided to hold a special meeting in a fortnight for further consideration.

10 January 1925

another bridge

At their last meeting the Park Committee, considered the recommendations of the sub-committee which had discussed tenders for the erection of a bridge over the River Goyt to give access to the war memorial park from Buxton road.
The recommendations were approved.

Mr S. Drinkwater's tender for £9 10s. 0d. for the erection of a stone pier was accepted.
For erecting a steel girder bridge of the lattice type, with gates, terminal pillars, and iron fencing, the tender of Messrs David Rowell and Co., London, was accepted, the inclusive price being £130 5s. 0d. the same firm erected a bridge at Taxal for Chapel District Council. It is expected the bridge will be erected within the next three weeks.

Yes it is the same Drinkwaters.

The Bridge at Taxal by David Rowell and Co:

This company also constructed the suspension bridge at Doveridge of which I have posted a photo of on this forum and I also suspect the company constructed the Goyt Valley suspension Bridge; but I need to investigate this further.
They also manufactured the southernmost suspension bridge in the Falklands. They ceased trading in 1970.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2010 19:31:21(UTC)
Fedup

What is absolutely amazing is that the erection of the bridge would take place "within the next three weeks"!

Can you see that happening as quickly today? No, nor can I.

Do we know what actually happened to the captured German Guns? Are they in some other Park, or have they, like the fountain, just disappeared?

Edited by user 03 January 2010 19:32:04(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snowy  
#9 Posted : 04 January 2010 08:59:13(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Can't help with the guns or railings, but I seem to remember that the old Meveril bleachworks had a water treatment plant for cleaning the effluent going into Carr Brook. This was on the opposite side of Shallcross Mill Road from the works itself and was downstream from the canteen and bowling green, where the modern works is situated.

I think the treated water was stored in a small reservoir (or lodge) on this site, maybe 20 metres long, where it was held and tested before being discharged into the brook. So if the effluent was clean enough it may have been OK for swimming, although I'm not sure I would have fancied it. 

I'm relying on very hazy memories here though, so could be completely wrong!

Happy New Year to all, and best of luck with the winter weather.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#10 Posted : 04 January 2010 15:56:01(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

To all those enquiring about the guns I am afraid to say I really have no idea just what happened to them. I’ll try to find out but I’m not very hopeful.
Possibly you may find them blocking the footpath on Long Hill just below the Shady Oak.

Snowy, I know what you mean about those reservoirs. Could you imagine it happening these days?

Ring, ring.

“Hello is that Bowaters? This is Councillor Goldfinch from Whaley Council.
Well the thing is we need a new bridge in the Park and me and Councillor Jean thought it would be a good idea if we could borrow your factory reservoir so that we can have a swimming gala to raise much needed funds.
What’s that? Changing facilities, lockers, showers, life guards? No need to worry about any of that? We just want to come and let the ordinary folk and kids jump in and we should rake the money in.
By the way as payment we could let you have an old German gun.
Right that’s a done deal then.”

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#11 Posted : 05 January 2010 17:29:23(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

If anybody is awake and still reading this (I did warn you) here is:

PART 3: (We are half way there; AND IT’S STILL SNOWING)

17 January 1925

the new bridge

No time is being lost by the Park Committee in getting the new bridge built to give access to the park from Buxton road. The foundations are being laid this week.

28 February 1925

park committee

A meeting of the Park Committee was held on Monday evening at the Mechanics' Institute. The Bowling Club applied for a renewal of their "right of way", by a footbridge from their premises to the park. The latter was laid on the table.

4 April 1925

park committee

A meeting of the Park Committee was held on Monday evening at the Mechanics' Institute. The question of the Bowling Club's bridge from their premises into the park was again discussed.
It was stated that when permission was given to erect the bridge, it was to be of a temporary character and to be taken down when the Park Committee had erected a bridge to give access to the park from Buxton road.
The committee decided to adhere to this resolution.
(Oh er. Sounds like trouble brewing)

Progress with the erection of the new bridge was reported.    It was decided the official opening of the bridge should be on May 9th, the anniversary of the opening of the park.

25 April 1925

The work of erecting the new bridge over the River Goyt in Buxton Road in order to afford easier access to the Memorial Park, has been in progress during the past month or so, and is now very nearly completed.  
It is proposed to put a gate at the park end of the bridge, and the work will then be finished.
The bridge will be formally opened early in May.

9 May 1925

The opening of the new bridge giving access to the War Memorial Park from Buxton Road takes place today (Saturday), the opening ceremony being performed by Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell C.M.G.    A procession of the Park Committee and the local authorities will start from the Mechanics' Institute, and at the gate of the bridge.    Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell will be presented with a key, which has been subscribed for by members of the committee.
During the afternoon the Whaley Bridge Band will give concerts in the Park, and collections will be made at the entrance. 

Good Old Ramsden, eh.

Fedup  
#12 Posted : 05 January 2010 19:43:31(UTC)
Fedup

I really cannot wait for the next installment R.S-S.

No, really, I just cannot wait!

No, really, I just.............

Edited by user 05 January 2010 19:45:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#13 Posted : 05 January 2010 19:55:44(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Neither can I Fedup and I know what happens.

I know it’s boring but it is what happened.

Just imagine in another 80 years when we have long been in the Promised Land somebody finds the eighty year old Whaley Forum, that’s if they have computers and indeed if the World still exists: somebody would say:

“Hey have you read this tripe? And look at the mysterious names: Fedup, Curious, Horwich Ender, Rockbanker and Cllr Jon.

They certainly must have been mad in those days’ isn’t that about the time when it was legal to drink whisky? Yes that must be it; all sodden with drink.”

Well maybe.

R. S-S

And just maybe the next topic will be more interesting, well possibly. Probably not.
It’s about the lost reservoir in Whaley and it beats fountains and German guns.

Stick with me lad and you might learn something. On the other hand ----.

R. S-S
Fedup  
#14 Posted : 05 January 2010 20:00:07(UTC)
Fedup

"Sodden with drink"

Hmmm! I feel a pricking in my thumbs.......and that left over bottle of Christmas whisky is singing siren sweet!

Looking forward to your next post R.S-S.!!!

Edited by user 05 January 2010 20:02:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#15 Posted : 08 January 2010 09:00:44(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

PART 4: (Quite short this part so not too taxing)

16 May 1925

war memorial park

opening of new bridge

The ceremony of opening the bridge took place on Saturday afternoon, the event being unfortunately marred by the inclement weather.
It had been arranged that a tea should be provided in the Holy Trinity Church Hall, close to the new entrance, and that a concert should be given in the Park during the evening, but at the last moment these arrangements had to be cancelled.

The opening ceremony was performed by Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell C.M.G.
A procession was formed at the Mechanics' Institute, headed by Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell and Mr T. Stafford, chairman of the Memorial Park Committee, who were followed by members of the Whaley Bride Urban District Council, the Fernilee Parish Council, the Taxal Parish Council and the Chapel-en-le-Frith Parish Council, the Whaley Bridge Public Band bringing up the rear.    The procession proceeded along Market Street and Buxton Road to the bridge, the pavements on both sides of the road being crowded with villagers.
Presenting a gold pen-knife to Col. Ramsden-Jodrell, with which to cut the ribbon, Mr Stafford said he was very pleased that they had secured this access to the Park from Buxton Road.    The approach and the bridge had cost about £225, and they were greatly indebted to Colonel Ramsden-Jodrell who, at his own expense, had built the stone face wall and saved the committee from £15 to £20.   

30 May 1925

park committee

A meeting of the Joint Park Committee was held at the Mechanics' Institute on Monday evening.    Accounts were passed for payment amounting to £7. Whaley Co-operative Society applied for the use of the park for the annual children's gala and this was granted on the usual terms.
Now that the new bridge is available, it was decided to ask the Bowling Club to remove the temporary bridge on their premises in accordance with the terms agreed upon when the bridge was erected.
I told you this was going to end up in trouble.

To raise funds for the bridge it was decided to organise another swimming gala in July in Mevril Bleachworks reservoir if this can be loaned.

Not again surely!
There must have been some almost radio active kids about Whaley in the 20’s 

Fedup  
#16 Posted : 08 January 2010 19:16:37(UTC)
Fedup

Well, if I was in an uncharitable frame of mind, I could say that explains an awful lot!

But I'm in a mellow mood, so I won't.

Edited by user 08 January 2010 19:17:23(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#17 Posted : 09 January 2010 09:26:23(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

PART 5:

Anybody still with me? Didn’t think so.

Anyway it’s nearly over.

5 September 1925

that other bridge

Whaley Bowling Club still persists in their efforts to persuade the Park Committee to allow them to continue the bridge from the bowling green to the park.
The matter was again discussed by the Park Committee on Monday evening and adjourned for a month.
(Simmering)

3 October 1925

park committee

The questions of the bridge from the Bowling Club's premises into the Park was adjourned a month for further consideration. 
(Still simmering)

5 December 1925

park committee

As regarded the bridge from the Bowling Club's premises into the Park, it was decided to give the club notice to remove it by December 31st.    If the club does not remove the bridge, the committee will take steps to do so.
(Sounds like action stations)

9 January 1926

a bridge question

Whaley has so many bridges that one would think one here or there wouldn't matter much.    But a nice situation has arisen about the footbridge which gives access to the park from the bowling club.    The club had the bridge there long before the Park Committee built the new bridge from Buxton road into the Park, and are anxious to retain it.    The Park Committee declined to give consent, and after months of discussion, informed the Bowling Club that unless the bridge was removed by the end of 1925, the Park Committee would remove it.    The club have not removed it.    Neither have the Park Committee.    Despite the recent floods the bridge was not washed away, which would have solved the problem for both parties.    The question is a very nice one to be watched with much interest.
(Handbags)

30 January 1926

park committee

The question of the bridge from the Bowling Club's premises into the park was again discussed.    It was decided to ask the Bowling Club secretary (Mr J.H. Jodrell) to meet a sub-committee at the Mechanic's Institute with a view to an amicable settlement being reached.

Yes I know it’s like a soap opera and you just know what’s going to happen next. It’s not Dallas but it was in 1926 and for JR Ewing read JH Jodrell.

snowy  
#18 Posted : 09 January 2010 14:06:12(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Can't wait for the denouement.

Was JH related to the colonel?

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#19 Posted : 09 January 2010 15:35:35(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hey Snowy,

The last episode will be ‘aired’ tomorrow.

It’s certainly been a marathon but a blockbuster in its own way, I’m sure you’ll agree.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#20 Posted : 10 January 2010 09:41:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

PART 6:

And thankfully it’s nearly over. But this is the one you’ve all been waiting for

3 April 1926

one bridge less

It will be recalled that before the new bridge was erected to access to the war memorial park from Buxton road, a bridge was built that made it possible for people to get into the park from the Bowling Club's premises.    When the new bridge was completed the Park Committee gave the Bowling Club notice to remove the bridge, but it was never carried out.    A month ago the Park Committee appointed a sub-committee to meet Mr J.H. Jodrell, (Ah yes, JR remember) secretary of the Bowling Club, on the matter.    The sub-committee reported to the Park Committee on Monday evening that they did not consider the reasons advanced by Mr Jodrell justified them in keeping up the bridge.    The Clerk was asked to take steps to have that portion of the bridge which stood in the park removed.    This was done early on Tuesday morning and the destroyed bridge created no little amusement in the village.    What the Bowling Club will do with the portion of the bridge standing on their land remains to be seen.    It is not much use without the other half.    The destruction of the bridge ends for the time being at any rate, a long controversy.
(At last a bit of fighting talk)

So good old JH did not turn out to be a JR after all.

The Park Committee:

And what a strange bunch they look. Why are some of them leaning over so much? I think they must have sneaked into the Bowling Club behind the Chairman’s back

8 August 1931             

bridge re-opened

The Parks Committee carried out some temporary repairs to the bridge giving access to the Park from Buxton road, which had been closed since the flood, nearly a year ago.    This enabled the committee to reopen the bridge, much to the satisfaction of the people residing on Buxton road.    For almost a year they have had to go round by Reservoir road or Macclesfield road to enter the Park, a long walk either way.

You couldn’t make it up could you? They should have stuck with the Bowling Club Bridge after all that.

29 August 1931

bridge being repaired

It was reported to the Park Committee at the meeting on Tuesday evening that the bridge giving access to the Park from Buxton road, which was damaged by the flood last August, and closed until a few weeks ago, was again closed.    The repairs, however, were now being carried out, and soon, it was hoped, the bridge would be permanently opened again.   

26 September 1931

bridge open again

The bridge which gives access to the park from Buxton road was damaged by the great flood more than a year ago.    The damage has now been repaired and the bridge is again open to the public.    This has given much satisfaction since the bridge avoids going round by Macclesfield road or Reservoir road.

Some people think it’s all over.

The New Park Bridge:

It is now.

Thank goodness.