logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#21 Posted : 10 February 2010 09:14:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Devious wrote:

RSS.  It was me Devious that went down the pit, not Curious.

DEVIOUS 

Apologies to you Devious and also to you Mrs Curious,

I must have had a senior moment whilst putting together that reply Devious.

You see, Devious, I know who Mrs Curious is and the thought of her going down the pit in 1955. Hmm I thought.

Well I just don’t know what to say except sorry to both of you again.

I must say that I might have been put off by the mention of the short pants which at that time I thought were worn by someone else.

R. S-S
Curious  
#22 Posted : 10 February 2010 12:34:22(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Dear R. S-S

I’ll take it as a complement that you thought it strange that I was going down the pit, and I’ll not take offence that you thought I could have been old enough to have been around at that time!

Mrs Curious (the younger)

Devious  
#23 Posted : 10 February 2010 22:22:12(UTC)
Devious

The greenhouse was in the field where the ponies were put at weekends. This I think was by a big house. A path went from the field down to the stable. The ponies had a stable about 100 yds. from the pit entrance near to the turntable and tag /weigh office. Each pair of men had their own tag number which they placed in the tubs when leaving the face.  I knew Arthur, Louis, and Cyril very well along with Rick Hodgson and John Spicer who left in the 1950s.

DEVIOUS  

parabuild  
#24 Posted : 11 February 2010 08:29:31(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Thanks Devious for your further information.

There is a photograph taken underground in 1963 during a "fag break". Must have been shortly before closure.  Fortunately there was little gas in the Furness mine.  Does anybody recognise either man?

The photograph is posted on Flickr by Ted McAvoy of Leander Foundry in Dove Holes. He also has some interesting pictures from the Furness brickworks.

www.flickr.com/photos/16809752@N05/3600409439/sizes/l/

george  
#25 Posted : 11 February 2010 19:11:10(UTC)
george

Good evening parabuild thank you for your information on the Times source and all the interesting items you have posted. I have not tried to access this yet but I am looking forward to doing so when I am able.Also thank you Jean for your information.If anyone can find a way of accessing the archives of the High Peak Reporter, Buxton version I would like to know.

george

Curious  
#26 Posted : 11 February 2010 21:14:46(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi George

The Reporter (with Whaley News) is accessible through New Mills Library, but only on Microfiche.  You can book a session to have a look through and print out anything you need (45p a sheet) or if you know a roughly what you are looking for, the very helpful staff at the Library will look for you and post anything of interest to you.  I emailed them and asked them if they could see what articles there was in the Reporter on the Evacuees arriving in Chinley in 1940, after I found the article in the Manchester Guardian.  I had a reply the same afternoon to say what info she had found and it arrived by post the next day – brilliant service.  I’ll post them on the Forum shortly.

Curious

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#27 Posted : 12 February 2010 09:12:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Mr Parabuild,

Whilst you are so engrossed in scanning old newspapers could you see if you can find out anything about The Cheshire Giantess from Whaley?

I seem to have misplaced my own copy and would be most grateful for your help.

Thanks mate.

R. S-S
george  
#28 Posted : 12 February 2010 15:37:17(UTC)
george

Many thanks curious, I know when I am looking for. I will give it a go.

george

parabuild  
#29 Posted : 12 February 2010 18:08:17(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I'm afraid the only Cheshire Giantess in either the Times or Guardian is Harriett Peers whose death was reported in the Guardian of 7th july 1901. She died aged 40 at Lower Bebington.  She was 6ft 4in tall and weighted 35 stone.  Some lady !

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#30 Posted : 13 February 2010 09:03:06(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

David’s School Report:

History:                 Shows a real interest and is improving week by week.

Geography:            Shows interest but is not quite up to scratch just yet.

Detective Work:    First class, top marks.

Swimming:            I hope he has been practising because he will be trying out a 500ft deep lake shortly.

Seriously David,

Well done in unearthing a bit about the Cheshire Giantess scanty though it was. The report that is not The Giantess herself.

Here is the local reporting of the ‘event’:

High Peak News

13 July 1901

Whaley Bridge.    The Cheshire giantess is no more!    We refer to Harriett Peers, who was remarkable for her height and size.    The dimensions of the coffin in which the corpse was enclosed were:
Length 6 ft. 6 ins.; breadth 4 ft.; depth 2 ft.    It was iron-bound, and weighed with the body enclosed, 7 cwt.    The coffin, which was covered with flowers, was borne upon a lurry suitably draped.    The body was carried from the hearse to the grave on a truck.

Like you say: “Some woman”.
No I’m saying no more Gnatalee’s looking in.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#31 Posted : 13 February 2010 13:42:11(UTC)
Gnatalee

R.S-S

Why do you refer to Harriet as The Cheshire Giantess from Whaley - she appears to have been born in Bebington, Wirral

She was born Harriet Molyneux and married a John Peers.  They had five children - four girls and one boy.  Harriet  toured the country in various "entertainment shows"  (one was advertised as a "freak show") as Miss Molyneux,  the Cheshire Giantess.

On the death index her age is given as 39 (there is only one death registered by that name so it must be her) and yet a few months earlier on the 1901 census her age is given as 43 ! 

Gnats

Edited by user 13 February 2010 14:02:30(UTC)  | Reason: found more information

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#32 Posted : 13 February 2010 15:28:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Gnatalee,

I know full well you are top of the class when it comes to detective work, sorry David, and I realise that people will want to check on certain facts that they find interesting.
That is only natural. We can witness the first class job you did on researching the Whaley Train Crash.

So in certain instances when I ‘quote’ from various periodicals or Committee minutes I always highlight them in blue.
In other words they are not my own words.

You will see from the High Peak News report that I have repeated below that the topic starts with the words Whaley Bridge and it describes The Cheshire Giantess.
If she was buried at Taxal I will definitely have a record of the burial but it might take a bit of finding so you’ll have to hang on a bit. Even so, strange that it was reported in The High Peak News.
By the way which death register are you using to find her?

On another matter Gnatalee you refer to a ‘freak show’; well from another press cutting I have an amazing story that took place in Buxton but I think you need to take several deep breaths and prepare yourself before you even think about reading it. So I shall not post it until the morning; you might be advised to read it in the morning just in case it gives you a sleepless night. We wouldn’t want that would we?

High Peak News

13 July 1901

Whaley Bridge.    The Cheshire giantess is no more!    We refer to Harriett Peers, who was remarkable for her height and size.    The dimensions of the coffin in which the corpse was enclosed were:
Length 6 ft. 6 ins.; breadth 4 ft.; depth 2 ft.    It was iron-bound, and weighed with the body enclosed, 7 cwt.    The coffin, which was covered with flowers, was borne upon a lurry suitably draped.    The body was carried from the hearse to the grave on a truck.

I shall email you privately about the other information you require.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#33 Posted : 13 February 2010 16:46:26(UTC)
Gnatalee

Begging your pardon R.S-S ! I didn't intend to shoot the messenger 

The only reason why I did a little research on this lady is that, as you know, Parabuild's press report has her place of death as Lower Bebington which is not a million yards, never mind miles, from where I live and I have never heard of her (unlike the Child of Hale who is legendary).

The death index I use is FreeBMD which is usually pretty accurate. I also use Ancestry and it appears she was living in Tranmere, Birkenhead. Coincidentally someone has a "tree" on Ancestry contain this very same lady ! 

Gnats

Edited by user 13 February 2010 16:49:29(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#34 Posted : 14 February 2010 06:56:15(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Thank you for the half term report R. S-S.  I had hoped to improve on my geography grades by finding Mrs Curious's mine but it was to no avail.  I do know however, that my home does not sit atop a huge underground lake as you seem to insist. My limited swimming skills will not be put to the test.  Have you noticed R. S-S that Whaley Bridge sits BELOW a huge lake ?  You should have your water wings at the ready in case of this .....................

parabuild attached the following image(s):
P1020409cw.jpg
Gnatalee  
#35 Posted : 14 February 2010 12:35:44(UTC)
Gnatalee

When did that happen David?

Gnats

Edited by user 14 February 2010 12:36:21(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#36 Posted : 14 February 2010 12:56:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

In addition to my post 32 on this thread,

Just for you Gnatalee. As promised.

Those of you with a sensitive disposition may want to look away now. I’m sorry but that means you Fedup.

High Peak News

12 June 1937

…….The biggest thrill came on Saturday when Mr Paul Graham, of Disley, "the Man with the X-ray Eyes," walked blindfolded on the narrow parapet of the famous Crescent, risking a hundred-feet fall, while a large crowd below watched in astonishment--except for some who were afraid to look.
At one breathless moment he staggered and finished up astride the parapet, but thanks perhaps to his decision that it was too windy to complete his journey, he survived to drive a car blindfold along Spring Gardens, making a purchase on the way……..

Does anyone know any more about Paul Graham from Disley?

I suppose he could still be around; just.
If he is I wonder if he has a donor card. What I wouldn’t give to have X-ray eyes.

Have you been viewed through X-ray eyes Gnatalee?

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#37 Posted : 14 February 2010 15:56:30(UTC)
Gnatalee

R.S-S

The answer is yes - by Paul Graham from Disley - he didn't live to tell the tale which is why you can't have his x-ray eyes, you are too late. 

Gnats  

Edited by user 14 February 2010 15:59:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Devious  
#38 Posted : 14 February 2010 22:07:38(UTC)
Devious

PARABUILD.   Re your post 24, the 2 men in the picture are Cyril Hinde on the left and Arthur Williamson on the right.  In his time Arthur was one of the top clay pigeon shooters in ihe North of England.

DEVIOUS  

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#39 Posted : 15 February 2010 13:19:25(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello David,

Yesterday you shared with us a really interesting photo if I may say so. Post 34.

I genuinely thought it was the opening of the Whaley Fountain in 1906 but now I have some misgivings. We were all wrong about Mrs Curious’ marvellous Horwich End Fountain so perhaps this is a more recent event.

There is no litter or bodies floating in the water. It does look deep water though so goodness knows how deep it was down Canal Street, Bridge Street and Johnson Street. Obviously Norman Heathcote’s tunnel on the other side of the road just could not cope with the volume of water.

Yes a strange day indeed even more so I should imagine for the flying saucer hovering over Old Road in your photo monitoring The Great Flood.
Your next photo may include The Ark and all the animals going in two by two.
Now that would give the Martians something to phone home about; but sadly not from the submerged BT box.

R. S-S
parabuild  
#40 Posted : 16 February 2010 08:36:15(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I didn't realise I had photographed a U F O .  Perhaps the aliens were spying on the deliberations of Whaley Town Council.