logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#1 Posted : 02 February 2010 08:02:55(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

The Times maintains an archive, which is accessable online, of every newspaper from 1785 to 1985.  The entire newspaper is catalogued and searchable.  Whaley Bridge is mentioned in over 300 entries although most of these are announcements such as marriages or official appointments. If members really are interested in notices such as the marriage of Margery Dean in 1924 then they must do their own research.  News or articles of interest I shall write about on this thread as I come across them.

parabuild  
#2 Posted : 02 February 2010 08:09:59(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Mr Jones of Buxton, writing to The Times in 1930 tells of a seat at Horwich End which had been donated by a gentleman three years earlier. The seat bore a plaque with the inscription "Never cut a friend".  The writer thought that this was "a remarkably good idea for any public seat".

parabuild  
#3 Posted : 03 February 2010 08:38:17(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A sad and unusual story made the national press in April 1957 when Mrs Bowden of Buxworth died after an attack by a cockerel.  She went to her smallholding to feed the birds, one of which clawed a vein in her leg causing heavy bleeding. She died later, having been taken to Stockport Infirmary.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#4 Posted : 03 February 2010 08:47:15(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Good Morning, David,

On your advice I subscribed to the times on line archive and they nobbled me for 74 quid odd for the privilege.

Now is it just me or is it very, very, very difficult to use?

Or is it a case of practice.

R. S-S

Gnatalee  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2010 10:46:38(UTC)
Gnatalee

David

I spent a very interesting evening trawling through the "Whaley Bridge" entries in The Times archive. I was surprised how many times Whaley gets a mention but spending 3 hours checking up on the newsworthy (and not so) happenings in Whaley at least got me out of tackling the ironing again (any old excuse).

Regarding the cost R. S-S I too hadn't realised that there was a charge but I already had free access through work and the OU. There is also a database available for regional newspapers but the ones I have checked do not cover such a comprehensive time span as The Times.

Gnats

Edited by user 03 February 2010 10:47:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild  
#6 Posted : 03 February 2010 11:09:21(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Now I feel guilty.  Had I known of the charge by The Times for access to the archive, I would have saved R. S-S his £74.

Online membership of Manchester Central Library is open to any U.K. resident; it is easy and free.  Included in this membership is free access to various reference facilities  including The Times.

Once "logged on" to the Times archive, I don't find it hard to use. The search may be by a specific date which produces the entire newspaper for that day.  More intuitive is a "keyword" search such as "Buxworth" of "Fernilee".  This will list all catalogued instances of that word in chronological order with the item highlighted.  These items are copyrighted of course, so strictly, they should not appear on this forum in their original form.

Central Library web site also includes Manchester's photographic archive of 60,000 images. This is accessable without membership and is where I found the Fernilee Toll Cottage  photograph.  

Edited by user 03 February 2010 11:17:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Jean  
#7 Posted : 03 February 2010 11:27:36(UTC)
Jean

See the topic Guardian / Observer Newspaper Archive and other free online info for details of FREE online information sources for Derbyshire County Council Library users.

Didn't leave details here as this "The Times" topic!

Jean

CllrJonG  
#8 Posted : 03 February 2010 21:44:52(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi Parabuild,

Thankyou very much for that hint about manchester central library.  I've joined.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
parabuild  
#9 Posted : 04 February 2010 08:18:56(UTC)
parabuild

Man

In October 1978, 400 tins of salmon were stolen from the Co-op in Whaley.  Police were warning that these tins may have been infected with botulism.  One wonders what they were doing in the Co-op if that was the case.

parabuild  
#10 Posted : 04 February 2010 08:30:05(UTC)
parabuild

Man

June 1865 and Mr Mellor, a farmer from Taddington was fined 5 shillings for evading the toll at the Whaley Bridge turnpike.  The turnpike was near the White Hart and the landlord  owned an adjacent field.  He encouraged sheep drovers such as farmer Mellor to use this field overnight and to stay at the inn.  The field had two gates, one either side of the toll bar.  The sheep could enter by one gate and leave by the other, thus avoiding the toll. Mr Mellor appealed against his fine but the court found for Mr Lees, the tollkeeper .

parabuild  
#11 Posted : 06 February 2010 08:17:33(UTC)
parabuild

Man

In November 1862, police were searching for three burglars, one of whom had been shot in the chest.  They had made their escape from the home of Mr Norman at Horwich End.  The shutters of the dining room had been forced with a jemmy in order to gain entrance.  Mrs Norman was awakened at 3 am, dressed, and armed with revolver crept downstairs.  In the dining room she saw a man wearing a mask and holding a lighted candle.  Calmly, Mrs Norman took careful aim hitting the burglar who was dragged through the window by his accomplices.  The police considered that his injury might prove fatal.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#12 Posted : 08 February 2010 16:15:34(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Right Mr Parabuild,

On your advice, which I presumed at the time was good advice; I joined the Times Online Archive.

And as I said they nabbed 74 quid odd off my credit card just for the privilege. Still not a bad deal if you can find all sorts of interesting information.

The trouble is I can find nothing at all except for births, marriages deaths and state of the roads reports whereas you seem to be able to come up with all sorts of tasty morsels with regards to our local history and to rub salt deeper into my wounds you appear to be able to obtain all this info for nowt.

Well Mr Parabuild I am writing off my 74 quid and in future I shall rely on my own tried and trusted methods of researching historical information from around this area. And you might be interested to know that I have just found out something that may be of interest to you, although I doubt it:

FURNESS CLOUGH COLLIERY - R.E. Knowles Ltd.

In 1963 the last 5 colliers left the pit; the pumps stopped working and created an underground lake nearly 1000' wide and 500' deep.

Now; what about that then?
Ahah if my geography is correct, and I’m sure it is, your house is situated on top of that very lake. So I’ll tell you what pal you keep collecting your free snippets from the Times because you never just know when you and your house will be paying a visit to that 500 foot deep lake. I can almost hear the splash now.

It’s been nice knowing you.

R. S-S

parabuild  
#13 Posted : 09 February 2010 07:47:20(UTC)
parabuild

Man

What's all this R. S-S, condemning me to a turgid pit ?  I don't think so.  If you would check your geography and your geology you will find that the old workings are well to the west of here. There is a mine level which passes nearby but not part of Furness Clough Colliery.  Where is your water depth of 500 feet Mr S-S ?  Most of the Furness workings were in the "White Ash" seam which is found at a depth of 150 feet..  Perhaps you are referring to the water held in the anticline but then many of us sit atop one of those.  Furness Clough Colliery closed as you say, on 7th July 1963.  Flooding was the cause of closure and the pumps could no longer handle the volume of water.  Latterly only fire clay was extracted from the mine.  Sorry to disappoint you R. S-S but I do feel quite secure and I do have a few sandbags just in case.

I do have further news items from The Times which I shall add to this posting, in the meantime I am looking at The Guardian which has several thousand entries for Whaley Bridge.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#14 Posted : 09 February 2010 14:55:17(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Very, very interesting David,

But before you decide to put your frogman’s suit on ebay perhaps you might want to read the following which I have very kindly referenced for you this afternoon.
I have highlighted the sections relevant to you in red.

Now don’t ask me how I know the size of the lake because I am only reporting the written word to you. I haven’t actually seen it personally but I believe it. Similarly I did not see the beheading of Anne Boleyn but I have read about it and I believe that too.
I wasn’t on the moon when Neil Armstrong landed but I have seen film of that so I believe that too. Well almost.

You will see we both agree on the depth of the White Ash seam.

So rather than getting rid of some of your swimming gear, if I were you I’d invest in some new stuff and stuff that works 500 feet down because mark my words you are going to need it one day. And as for sand bags; well they will only speed your descent into those deep and dark waters below your cosy abode.

Key dates and events in local Mining History:

1815 The Waterloo coal pit was opened.    This became known as the Gisborne Pit after the family which owned it.

1853 March 17.    There was a turn out for wages at Hockerley Pit.
          John and William Shrigley were masters.

1853 Mr John W. Boothman, master of the Furness Clough Colliery died.

1855 Thomas Rhodes and William Cotterill began sinking the Boothmans Wharf Pit.

1862 Jan 31.    George Ollerenshaw was killed in Furness Clough coal pit.

1872 Ringstones pit and plant sold.

1896 Ringstones pit closed down because the workings were flooded.

1900 Wharf pit and Railway pits closed.

1907 Shallcross Hall Colliery (White Ash Seam) workings commenced by Buxton Lime Firms.    This was a drift mine.

1909 Shallcross Hall Colliery (Yard Seam) known as Brickbarn Colliery workings commenced by Buxton Lime firms.

1911 Gisborne Colliery closed.

1925 February 28.    Shallcross Hall Colliery closed.

1963 July 7.    Furness Clough Colliery closed ending all mining in this area. Approximately eleven men and two ponies finished work.

DIGLEE COLLIERY     Furness Vale - R.E. Knowles Ltd.

Drift Mines

Yard Mine Coal worked from 1938 to Oct 1948 by R.E. Knowles Ltd, but many Old Workings previously existed.

FURNESS CLOUGH COLLIERY - R.E. Knowles Ltd.

First lease of Colliery was in 1802.

Second lease was in 1823.

Third lease was made in 1844.

In 1895, when some workings were abandoned, pit was in the possession of Messrs Levi and Elijah Hall.

In 1963 the last 5 colliers left the pit; the pumps stopped working and created an underground lake nearly 1000' wide and 500' deep.

Mining of coal was on Red & White Ash seams and fireclay was also mined.

No 1 Shaft           Red Ash Seam - 17" thick                        at 74 feet deep

White Ash Seam - 11½" thick                  at 149 feet deep

No 2 Shaft           Red Ash Seam - 17" thick                        at 87 feet deep

White Ash Seam - 11½" thick                  at 162 feet deep

No 3 Shaft           Red Ash Seam - 17" thick                        at 74 feet deep

White Ash Seam - 11½ thick                   at 157 feet deep

Big Mine was worked to 1859 and included old workings "gotten in the year 1810."

R. S-S

Devious  
#15 Posted : 09 February 2010 19:28:15(UTC)
Devious

My father used to work in the Furness pit until approx. 1960. Joe Hewitt was the manager. I went down the pit with Joe hewitt in about 1955 when I was in short pants. My father didnt know I was going down until I met him at the coal face. There was a pump house half way into the pit and from here there was a safety shaft which went up and came out into a greenhouse by a large house on the Diglee road.

Devious    

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#16 Posted : 09 February 2010 20:29:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Goodness me Mrs Curious,

You went down the pit in 1955? I am staggered.

Was the large house you refer to called Heatherby by any chance?

You need to post on this forum more often than you do at present your contributions are top notch.

R. S-S
Devious  
#17 Posted : 09 February 2010 20:45:34(UTC)
Devious

RSS.  It was me Devious that went down the pit, not Curious.

DEVIOUS 

parabuild  
#18 Posted : 09 February 2010 21:14:52(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Congratulations on your 500th post   R. S-S.  Always informative and entertaining, I am sure that everybody will be looking forward to the next 500.

parabuild  
#19 Posted : 10 February 2010 08:03:13(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Thank you Devious for the description of  your visit to the mine in 1955.  If you have any other recollections they would be very welcome.  R. S-S mentions "Heatherby"  on Diglee Road which was the home of the Knowles family, owners of the mine and brickworks.  There was apparently a gate at the back of the house which led directly to the mine adit.  The booklet "Coal Mining Around Whaley Bridge" has a photograph of the mine entrance in 1910 showing a pit pony being led from the mine by Miss Lena Knowles.  When at rest, the ponies were kept in a field next to "Heatherby". Three bunglows now stand there.  The last three miners are named as Arthur Williamson, Louis Haughty and Cyril Hinde.

To date I have not been able to find any other pictures of the colliery.

If any members have any records of Furness Clough, it's mine, brickworks and tramway I would be pleased to hear from them.  In the near future I shall start posting any information that I am able to gather.

parabuild  
#20 Posted : 10 February 2010 08:05:11(UTC)
parabuild

Man

A tragedy ocurred in March 1965 on Broadhey Hill above Furness Clough.  Two boys, 12 and 14 years old  from Heaton Chapel discovered an old mine shaft. This was protected only by railway sleepers which gave way under their feet.  They fell 150 feet and the younger boy Stephen Robinson was found by firemen to be dead. His friend David Arnold injured his head but was conscious when carried to the ambulance. How he survived such a fall, nobody could understand.  Mr Hill from Furness helped in the rescue.