logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fedup  
#41 Posted : 16 February 2010 17:56:43(UTC)
Fedup

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

In that case I bet the UFO was there for some considerable time!

Edited by user 16 February 2010 17:57:25(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Devious  
#42 Posted : 17 February 2010 19:49:59(UTC)
Devious

There is a talk at Disley Community Centre Thursday 18th at 8pm. for the Disley Historic Society under the title The Goyt Valley Miner By Kevin Dranfield. Non members £1-50 at the door. Does anyone know what this would be all about.

DEVIOUS 

parabuild  
#43 Posted : 17 February 2010 21:01:37(UTC)
parabuild

Man

"The Goyt Valley Miner" refers to a mine manager, I'm afraid I can't recall his name, who worked at a number of local pits. He finished his days at Errwood and much of the lecture is about the mine which operated there.  I heard this talk about 18 months ago and would recommend it to anyone who can get over to Disley. A fascinating story from a very good speaker.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#44 Posted : 18 February 2010 12:49:16(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Devious,

This is a question to you. A one off as far as this topic is concerned but I am sure you will look in on here.

Years ago the Cock Hotel had beautiful mahogany revolving doors where the door now is but there was also a door at the other end of the pub that took you into a separate room. A type of snug if you like.

I can remember that there was a serving hatch through which you ordered and were passed your drinks but I can not for the life of me remember if there was access to any toilets.

Surely you didn’t have to exit from one door and enter the revolving doors to go to the toilet and then make your way back.

What is the answer unless someone tells me I am stuck on this one?

R. S-S

Curious  
#45 Posted : 18 February 2010 13:55:03(UTC)
Curious

Woman

I used to work in the kitchen at the Cock at the time you are talking about – and yes, there was a serving hatch but there was no access to any toilets. The only way was to go outside and back in to the main bit of the pub through the revolving doors.

Mrs Curious

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#46 Posted : 18 February 2010 16:02:59(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Well thank you very much for that Mrs Curious,

Did you by any chance work there when the Tom Jones look-alike was head barman?

R. S-S
Horwich Ender  
#47 Posted : 18 February 2010 17:21:56(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good Afternoon R. S-S

The revolving doors at the Cock Hotel, I remember them very well. You describe them as “beautiful.” I would differ slightly to your description and would say “extremely dangerous” would be more accurate.

I've lost count of the times I tried to exit the Cock through the revolving doors only for some joker to place his foot in the door, stopping the revolution and ending up with me going face first into the now none revolving doors. Can you imagine health and safety allowing those doors today?

I must admit I did return the joke, probably more times than I had it done to me. Come to think of it, it was a more entertaining and enjoyable experience entering and leaving the Cock than the time actually spent in the pub drinking the dubious brews they had on offer. Can anyone remember Einhorn Lager?

I believe Robinson's Brewery are proposing to spend substantial sums to renovate the Cock to update it to a quality food establishment on a similar theme to The Red Lion at High Lane. Perhaps now would be an ideal time to contact Michael, the landlord, to discuss the possibility of bringing back the much loved revolving doors.

Is a petition in order?

Frankie  
#48 Posted : 19 February 2010 05:12:43(UTC)
Frankie

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Parabuild your posting 24

. The two men on the the photo are Cyril Hindes& Arthur Williamson (Pit Deputy Manager).Cyril is the one in the check shirt and from a well known Furnesss Vale Family.

Edited by user 19 February 2010 05:19:28(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Curious  
#49 Posted : 19 February 2010 18:45:53(UTC)
Curious

Woman

I went to the talk by Kevin Dranfield ‘The Goyt Valley Miner’ at Disley last night, it was very interesting - Thanks Devious for putting the info on the Forum. 

Going back to the Cock - I think the Tom Jones lookey likey must have left by the time I started working there in the mid 70s – Pauline Lee was working there and so was Cath??? who lived at the bottom of Long Hill somewhere.  I do remember the Einhorn lager though - it was awful and Robinsons did secretly admit it and let their landlords sell Tennants Extra but they had to keep it at the top end of the bar - out of sight.

Mrs Curious

Devious  
#50 Posted : 20 February 2010 20:35:16(UTC)
Devious

RSS.    Sorry for not replying sooner but I have been quite busy. I do not remenber the snug at the Cock but I do remember the revolving doors which should not have been taken out. The Cock was my local from approx. 1968 to 1975 and I lived across the road. I remember Betty Driver and then Derek and Marjory being in charge. The good old days.

DEVIOUS