logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davethescope  
#41 Posted : 05 June 2014 14:13:42(UTC)
davethescope

Groups: Member
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 17 post(s)
Originally Posted by: pensionman Go to Quoted Post
Someone in the chippy said the owners had applied for planning to turn into holiday lets but it got turned down. If true that would have been a good idea, it would bring Income to the town & give the building some purpose. Anyone aware if an application for such use was made?

The last application on the High Peak Planning web site was in October 2011 which was an application to extend the time limit of the original 2008 applications.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
pensionman  
#42 Posted : 05 June 2014 16:13:28(UTC)
pensionman

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Thanks Dave. Just what is happening to this big elephant in the town?
Whaley Laner  
#43 Posted : 06 June 2014 10:53:47(UTC)
Whaley Laner

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: John Landis Go to Quoted Post
Where do these silly rumours start?

There are free boat trips this year as I've volunteered my services as a pilot and have had them accepted.

I'm surprised, what with your involvement with W3 you didn't know?

What strange remarks. Are there more pilots than boats? And what's happening with the Jodrell?

John Landis  
#44 Posted : 07 June 2014 14:51:15(UTC)
John Landis

There usually are more drivers than boats, you wouldn't expect the same crew to work non-stop. You'd have to be a heartless fiend to expect that.

As it happens there were fewer boats today than usual, but that wasn't a wilful act and they're hoping for an extra vessel tomorrow. That's when I'm empty first outing. Despite the ramblings of a previous and somewhat bitter volunteer the weekend and the boats especially, appears a great success so far.

PS don't know anything about the Jodrell

Edited by user 08 June 2014 00:46:54(UTC)  | Reason: Jodrell questions

John Landis  
#45 Posted : 09 June 2014 16:37:31(UTC)
John Landis

Slightly off topic, but did anyone else think that the Judith Mary were out of order spraying dust all over the crowd? This surely can't have been the only day of the year they had to repaint a boat that's needed it for quite some time.
Jack  
#46 Posted : 16 June 2014 09:51:10(UTC)
Jack

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Slightly off topic, but did anyone else think that the Judith Mary were out of order spraying dust all over the crowd? This surely can't have been the only day of the year they had to repaint a boat that's needed it for quite some time.

judith mary probably decided to paint the boat because they couldnt do cruises because of the disruption caused by the water  weekend........................... if some people from jam butty hill got covered in dust so what............................. these were probably the same people who were in the goyt letting their kids run wild and saying they always use this pub........................they say the same on the other two days a year they use local pubs...........................carnival day and christmas................... judith mary should be congratulated on running a successful business 52 weeks a year not just 1 weekend to satisfy the ego and self interests of the whaley water  weekend committee..............as for the owners of the jodrell there a disgrace.....................theyve bought the best building in whaley and turned it into a derilict eyesore....................they should take advice from judith mary on how to run a business..................a final question......................did the water weekend committee pay judith mary compensation for loss of business?????????????????????  

davethescope  
#47 Posted : 16 June 2014 12:54:29(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Why should Kelly loose any bushiness because of WWW? He has his reserved mooring for his boat and the canal wasn't closed to other traffic by WWW. I imagine that his customers would enjoy seeing all the activity at the basin and on the canal.
The optimist believes that Whaley Bridge is the best place in the world to live. The pessimist fears he might be correct.
RockBanker  
#48 Posted : 16 June 2014 13:26:28(UTC)
RockBanker

Man
Location: &quot;In a primitive area and on a steep hill&quot;

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Jack, I am interested why you believe that the Whaley Water Weekend committee are acting to satisfying their ego's and self interest in running an event that gives many people a great deal of enjoyment and also benefits a range of local businesses.

Edited by user 16 June 2014 13:42:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Rock "Yellow Alert" Banker

TheShallcrossCode@hotmail.co.uk
davethescope  
#49 Posted : 16 June 2014 15:20:49(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: RockBanker Go to Quoted Post
Jack, I am interested why you believe that the Whaley Water Weekend committee are acting to satisfying their ego's and self interest in running an event that gives many people a great deal of enjoyment and also benefits a range of local businesses.

Satisfying their ego's and providing enjoyment are not mutually exclusive.  I suspect that most people who work for charity or the community find some increase in self esteem along with doing usefully work.  Certainly I do..
Jonny Summers  
#50 Posted : 16 June 2014 16:38:08(UTC)
Jonny Summers

davethescope & RockBanker: I can't believe you've "bitten"!!!
davethescope  
#51 Posted : 16 June 2014 21:47:02(UTC)
davethescope

Man
United Kingdom

Originally Posted by: Jonny Summers Go to Quoted Post
davethescope & RockBanker: I can't believe you've "bitten"!!!

It's a quite evening :-)

John Landis  
#52 Posted : 17 June 2014 08:30:27(UTC)
John Landis

The Judith Mary definitely had bookings at last year's W3.  From what I can gather the W3 organisers or at least Rick, who runs the boats offered to hire her (and pay for its crew) on both days this year, but they declined.   They were even told they could run their bar for the captive audience of mums and dads on board the free boat trip.  Indeed, I seem to remember a W3 a few years ago when they moored up and opened up as a bar to the public on the tow-path. 
Jack  
#53 Posted : 17 June 2014 12:28:28(UTC)
Jack

Originally Posted by: RockBanker Go to Quoted Post

ive nothing against the water weekend......................what i object to is people slagging off a local business....................and the water weekend committee spending local taxpayers money on a tribute band from buxton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rosie Burdock  
#54 Posted : 17 June 2014 16:56:33(UTC)
Rosie Burdock

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Jack I was down the basin for most of the weekend and I never saw a tribute band from Buxton.what time were they on? Why would a band from Buxton be a problem anyway ?
Wanderer returns  
#55 Posted : 17 June 2014 18:38:58(UTC)
Wanderer returns

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Rosie - I'm not sure Jack is bothered about a band being from Buxton more the money spent on hiring them to perform. I have no idea what they cost and to be honest I'm not interested I was just pointing out what I think Jack was saying

Edited by user 17 June 2014 18:40:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MrTrueman  
#56 Posted : 17 June 2014 19:09:58(UTC)
MrTrueman

Groups: Administration

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I think this thread is getting pretty off topic now.  If you want a W3 thread…why not go and make one!

Leaving now
Regards,

Mr Trueman

Whaleybridge.com Volunteer

Whaley Bridge website needs your help. Please email us your local news and events.
http://www.whaleybridge.com/contact/

Please support our local Computer Company, Trusted IT they provide this forum for all to use.
http://www.trustedit.co.uk
Rosie Burdock  
#57 Posted : 17 June 2014 19:33:22(UTC)
Rosie Burdock

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Well said Mr Truman
Jay  
#58 Posted : 19 June 2014 12:51:38(UTC)
Jay

United Kingdom

Laughing Laughing Who are you

Jay  
#59 Posted : 19 June 2014 12:55:52(UTC)
Jay

United Kingdom

Pray Is it a crime these days for people to be working on the only weekend they had free of trips , they improve Whaley give to several local charities and work really hard all year from the basin, about bar few years back rubbish then slated for selling alcohol.
Originally Posted by: Jay Go to Quoted Post
Laughing Laughing Who are you

judith mary  
#60 Posted : 19 June 2014 16:56:48(UTC)
judith mary

United Kingdom

Hi Whaley Forum, and especially John Landis!  This is Suzy Kelsall from the Judith Mary, this surely was the first weekend we had free to start the repainting of The Judith Mary, the business we run from the basin 365 days of the year - bookings permitting.  We had no bookings for this weekend so had taken the opportunity to begin the refurb.   "from what you can gather" Mr Landis regarding any kind of payment - did you speak to me about this at any time?  I was asked to help you out 1 week before the WWW as you had been let down by other people - I had plans for that weekend and as we run a business I was unable to reschedule.  I most certainly do not appreciate being slated by whoever John Landis is and would welcome a chance to have a chat with him as we obviously ruined the weekend for him and can only apologise to anybody "covered in dust".  I look forward to hearing from you.

Edited by user 19 June 2014 16:57:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified