logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Neil A Shaw  
#1 Posted : 03 March 2010 17:33:35(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

This local disgrace is the biggest embarrassment to Whaley Bridge since the night that Gibbo sang Puff the Magic Dragon at the Bird in Hand karaoke.

Perhaps our wonderful self appointed voice of the people on the local Council could shed any light?

CllrJonG  
#2 Posted : 04 March 2010 11:05:50(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

I have emailed to get an update from the owners.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Neil A Shaw  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2010 13:47:00(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Needs more than an email Jon

The current apathy surrounding the Jodrell mirrors the flickering embers of a dying village.

Lose the Jodrell and we lose our identity.

Web Watcher  
#4 Posted : 08 March 2010 06:20:37(UTC)
Web Watcher

So sad to see it still closed especially as it sounded so promising when the work started.

Edited by user 08 March 2010 06:21:18(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#5 Posted : 25 March 2010 13:46:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello to you today Neil,

Are you keeping well?

Yes I agree with you about the Jodrell Arms. It is nothing short of a disgrace that such a fine historic building is permitted to remain in such a state.
The problem is, as with Taxal Lodge, when somebody buys a building it is up to them as to what they choose to do with it.
I know that they have to work within HPBC’s planning policy with regards to extensions, change of use etc but really provided it does not become a danger to the public then that’s about it. If you’ve got plenty of dosh you can, if you so wish, just let it become an eyesore.
Witness the disgrace of the Crescent at Buxton; a grade 1 listed building rotting away for the past 25 years. Would it happen in any civilised country? No of course not.
Cllr Jon may be able to let us know who the current owners are. I attended a planning meeting about it some 5 years ago and the plans were truly magnificent: shops, offices, restaurants, hotel with open air roof top swimming pool. Yes swimming pool not ice skating rink.
What has happened in those last 5 years? Well nothing that I can see.

Now back to the Jodrell: all sorts of history associated with the place and some fine landlords and, yes I know, some not so fine but at least it was open. The great focal point of Whaley, meetings of all sorts of organisations, wedding receptions and such like.
It really looks good now doesn’t it? I hope Frank Campbell, if he is still with us, never drives past.

Jon emailed the owners some 3 weeks ago for an update. It won’t be Jon’s fault but we are all still waiting for the results. I hope no one is holding their breath. Maybe one of the Whaley Eleven knows something; in that case we certainly will never know.

Anyway Neil just a walk down Memory Lane for you and a glimpse of the Jodrell in the better times which you no doubt remember so well.

R. S-S

CllrJonG  
#6 Posted : 25 March 2010 13:48:57(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

I havn't had a reply I'm afraid.

I'll see what else I can do.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
richard  
#7 Posted : 25 March 2010 15:48:33(UTC)
richard

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Are the 11 in the front of the picture R S M

Hello to you today Neil,

Are you keeping well?

Yes I agree with you about the Jodrell Arms. It is nothing short of a disgrace that such a fine historic building is permitted to remain in such a state.
The problem is, as with Taxal Lodge, when somebody buys a building it is up to them as to what they choose to do with it.
I know that they have to work within HPBC’s planning policy with regards to extensions, change of use etc but really provided it does not become a danger to the public then that’s about it. If you’ve got plenty of dosh you can, if you so wish, just let it become an eyesore.
Witness the disgrace of the Crescent at Buxton; a grade 1 listed building rotting away for the past 25 years. Would it happen in any civilised country? No of course not.
Cllr Jon may be able to let us know who the current owners are. I attended a planning meeting about it some 5 years ago and the plans were truly magnificent: shops, offices, restaurants, hotel with open air roof top swimming pool. Yes swimming pool not ice skating rink.
What has happened in those last 5 years? Well nothing that I can see.

Now back to the Jodrell: all sorts of history associated with the place and some fine landlords and, yes I know, some not so fine but at least it was open. The great focal point of Whaley, meetings of all sorts of organisations, wedding receptions and such like.
It really looks good now doesn’t it? I hope Frank Campbell, if he is still with us, never drives past.

Jon emailed the owners some 3 weeks ago for an update. It won’t be Jon’s fault but we are all still waiting for the results. I hope no one is holding their breath. Maybe one of the Whaley Eleven knows something; in that case we certainly will never know.

Anyway Neil just a walk down Memory Lane for you and a glimpse of the Jodrell in the better times which you no doubt remember so well.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#8 Posted : 25 March 2010 16:37:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Now then, now then,

You naughty old thing Jamie.

You aren’t suggesting the Whaley Eleven resemble the bunch of lost sheep in the foreground of the photo are you?

You are aren’t you?

I thought you were.

Well you should know better. It’s all very well for me and Fedup to have a go at our ‘leaders’ but we try to do it in the best possible taste but you Jamie.
Well really. I mean really.

By the way mate you can drop the ‘M’ I prefer the ‘S’

R. S-S
Fedup  
#9 Posted : 25 March 2010 19:01:31(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Anyone remember the Atkins, who had the Jodrell late 70s/early 80s?

They had a very strong sense of social standing, and woe betide anyone coming into the Jodrell in working gear!

They owned two dachshunds, one of whom, according to Mrs Atkins, suffered from headaches. He was quite often to be seen with a bag of frozen peas tied onto his head with a bit of ribbon!

Ah, those were the days!

Edited by user 25 March 2010 19:04:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

richard  
#10 Posted : 25 March 2010 23:55:02(UTC)
richard

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

I see that roads in those days were in far better condition then they are today !!!!!!!!

Now then, now then,

You naughty old thing Jamie.

You aren’t suggesting the Whaley Eleven resemble the bunch of lost sheep in the foreground of the photo are you?

You are aren’t you?

I thought you were.

Well you should know better. It’s all very well for me and Fedup to have a go at our ‘leaders’ but we try to do it in the best possible taste but you Jamie.
Well really. I mean really.

By the way mate you can drop the ‘M’ I prefer the ‘S’

R. S-S

snowy  
#11 Posted : 26 March 2010 07:38:17(UTC)
snowy

Thanks for the picture.

It looks as if there is a large house on the down platform of the station next to the signal box.

Is that a foreshortened view of the house behind the station on Whaley Lane (where Frank Livesey used to live) or was something else there?

Neil A Shaw  
#12 Posted : 26 March 2010 14:26:05(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

Good afternoon R S S

Blimey, I'm not that old, but it's a great picture. I wonder if the train was late that day as well.

I'm actually a Marple lad, but I moved to Whaley in 1980. Bondy had just taken over the Jodrell and the Hotel was often a gathering place for the good and great of County Cricket,  The Jodrell enjoyed a warm and deserved reputation for quality food and a relaxing ambience

Sat in my Hazel Grove Office ,I've just asked my staff what springs to mind when I mention Whaley Bridge.

All of them replied: "TESCO'S"

How times change!

High Peak Harry  
#13 Posted : 27 March 2010 00:28:18(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Now then, now then, who do you think you are, Jimmy Saville? To emphasise a point you make regarding The Crescent at Buxton. If Michael Portillo no less, can film a programme about the railways from Buxton to New Mills, and blur the signs behind him that The Crescent is closed, what chance a pub in Whaley Bridge of being forced to open. I understand fully about Taxal Lodge having 'caught fire' and people paying lots of money to buy it. It is such a shame for their considerable investment isn't it? Of course this could just be the rantings of a person under the influence of Aberlour's finest. Hic.
parabuild  
#14 Posted : 27 March 2010 09:00:54(UTC)
parabuild

Man

14th December 1869

Edited by user 27 March 2010 09:01:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

parabuild attached the following image(s):
14.12.1869.jpg
Neil A Shaw  
#15 Posted : 27 March 2010 11:27:27(UTC)
Neil A Shaw

The problems with the Jodrell are symptomatic of the current apathy running thought the village. We're turning into"Little Stockport" with  derelict shops and gangs of scallies terrorising the old folk on a Friday night.

Will there be a Whaley Carnival in Ten Years time?

Does anybody really give a stuff?

.It's too easy to blame the recession when the Rams Head and the Fallowed Deer are taking away the Whaley trade. We need innovation and a proactive attitude rather than crying into our beer over the good old days.

Web Watcher  
#16 Posted : 14 April 2010 08:24:25(UTC)
Web Watcher

I sent an e-mail 10 days ago to try to find out what the state of play was but have heard nothing back which is a bad sign. Is there any other way to contact the people who bought it to try and assertain what is going on?
tyke  
#17 Posted : 14 April 2010 10:50:06(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

They have a website, it only has email addressses and I believe a mobile phone number. You could try that. There is a link from the WB website links section. Good look.

Web Watcher  
#18 Posted : 14 April 2010 14:33:57(UTC)
Web Watcher

That's where I got the e-mail address from but it seems a bit intrusive phoning a mobile number.

Perhaps the way forward is for a number of people to e-mail and then they may respond - what do you think?
Horwich Ender  
#19 Posted : 03 May 2010 18:42:48(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Good news.

The Board Inn and Highwayman are now open. With the General Election nearly on us does this mean we are in for an economic upturn in Whaley Bridge?

Let's hope something happens with the Navigation and Jodrell as the current state of these properties reflects very badly on the village.

CllrJonG and Web Watcher, did you make any progress with your investigations into the Jodrell and does anyone know what current state of play is with the Navigation?

Web Watcher  
#20 Posted : 03 May 2010 20:54:52(UTC)
Web Watcher

nothing back on the Jodrell front but I heard that a change of use application has gone in for the Navi to make it a house. Great news about The Board and the Highwayman - I'm told the former is being run by Kev Fletcher but I've not been in to find out yet