logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#41 Posted : 11 May 2010 19:25:20(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Holly,

You are quite correct in your assessment of the characters on here and likening the forum to a soap opera.
In fact I am sure you will agree I am the only sensible person that contributes.

I do not know if you will find any architect’s plans for the Hall. I would be very interested to see them if you do.
David Easton, aka Mr Parabuild, has done a model of the building but seems to have lost a large piece of it. Anyway Mr Parabuild’s efforts this term will be marked and they may not be as good as he expects.

I did promise you the Architect’s sketch that he drew for Mr. Grimshawe before the Hall was built but I simply have not had the time but there is a small copy of it below. Like Mr Parabuilds unfortunately I have missed a bit of the sketch off but you will get the gist.

The print I have is one of only eleven that were ever made. My dear old friend Peter Jodrell had one and I know of two others but I have no idea who owns the remaining seven.

I’ll try to put a bit more info on later.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#42 Posted : 12 May 2010 08:27:34(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Possibly this is the last photo taken of Errwood Hall prior to its demolition.

Those of you with sharp eyes, and in HE’s case sharp wit, will be able to tell if the upstairs windows have already been removed. I can’t.

R. S-S

G. Jackson  
#43 Posted : 12 May 2010 08:43:32(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear R.S-S,

Enlarging the centre upstairs window to 600% it looks like the window is still there.After 600% it goes too grainy to make out.

hrees16  
#44 Posted : 12 May 2010 11:29:05(UTC)
hrees16

Thanks R.S-S. The sketch is great,

To me it looks like the windows of the first floor have been removed because you can see the white painted leadwork in the windows below them quite easily, but for the upstairs windows they just look like black holes.

Holly

parabuild  
#45 Posted : 12 May 2010 21:17:13(UTC)
parabuild

Man

I thought you might have been generous enough, R.S-S to wait until I had finished my homework before  completing my end of term assessment.  If you will look at the latest version of the model which has been posted on the Errwood Web Site, you will find that the missing parts are gradually being added and that the gardeners have been at work !

umtali  
#46 Posted : 14 May 2010 07:17:55(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Cut and paste:

It is noticeable that in the sale the Estate was spelt with only one ‘E’ Erwood whereas nowadays the acceptable spelling is Errwood.

#12 Posted

Just noticed small error R. S-S when loading to website, should read   - one R - I thnk?

umtali

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#47 Posted : 26 May 2010 16:32:22(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

This little section is to be the end of Errwood Hall.

The building had been compulsory purchased by Stockport Corporation in readiness for the new water schemes within the Goyt Valley and all that remained was to sell off the contents of the Hall itself prior to its sad and completely unnecessary demolition.

As my posts are usually a bit heavy going I will do it over the course of a few consecutive days but could I ask that people do not interrupt or the sale may loose its meaning.

However, this will be of special interest to any e-bayers looking in

I promise I shall have it done by Sunday at the latest.

R. S-S

Macclesfield Courier

7 June 1930

Errwood Hall.    The onward march of civilisation is forever stealing some of the country’s most beautiful possessions.    This cannot be more truly said than in respect of Errwood Hall, that magnificent building in the Goyt Valley, the contents of which are to be sold by Mr A.S. Turner, the week after next.   Features of the Hall grounds are the wonderful beds of azaleas and rhododendrons, which have been accounted the finest show of their kind in the world.    I sincerely recommend all who can possibly visit the Hall on the two view days, Friday and Saturday next, to spare no effort in doing so.    It might be the last opportunity of seeing such a magnificent show of blooms, for in all probability; if the Stockport Water Scheme matures they will be sacrificed.    The sale which will be extended over five days, commences on Monday, June 16th, and there are very good pieces offered for sale.    In particular there are some fine old Masters which are expected to raise a high price.

High Peak News

14 June 1930

Some of the appointments of the private Roman Catholic Chapel at Errwood Hall, which is being sold upon June 16th, have gone to Oxford, and some to the Dominion Priory at Pendleton, which has always had a strong connection with Errwood.   The chapel is very beautiful, the requisites for the altar being of solid gold and silver.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#48 Posted : 27 May 2010 08:32:21(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

First reports of the sale are not good.

Personally I don’t like this type of sale; a bit like second-hand car sales if you ask me. A mate of the auctioneer is in attendance and when his chosen lot comes up the hammer goes down quicker than the doors are closed at the Mechanics before the public forum.

The Misses Preston would have been far better off going to Market themselves in those pre ebay days.

R. S-S

Macclesfield Courier

21 June 1930

errwood hall sale

some of the prices

The beautiful surroundings of Errwood Hall, Goyt Valley, near the Cat and Fiddle, attracted large numbers of would-be buyers to the Hall last week for the sale of the household goods and chattels.    The sale, which is in the hands of Messrs Turner and Son, has been authorised by the Misses Preston, who are giving up possession of the Hall.
The sale commenced on Monday last, on which day extensive bordering of rhododendrons along the winding three-quarter mile drive from the lodge to the Hall, with the help of the strong sunlight, looked their best.    On each day there was a large number of buyers from the length and breadth of England, but despite this, however, the bidding was rather slow and, on the whole, poor prices were realised.    The highest prices during the sale of the pictures on Tuesday was £400 for an old Spanish painting, purchased by Mr J.U. Gaskell of Ingersley Hall, Bollington.    The nearest price to this was £150.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#49 Posted : 28 May 2010 12:45:04(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Here we go its sale time and there were a few bargains to be had:

first day’s sale

Magnificent Venetian glass frame, £4 2s. 6d.; Unique set original Spanish cut glass on bronze bases comprising “The Crucifixion,” with 2 candle holders on cut glass pillars, £40 ; handsome small suite of crystal glass, £7 ; most magnificent suite of Venetian glass, £23 ; set of 4 old Chelsea figures “Children with Flowers,” £3 15s.; Dresden ornament, “The Musicians,” £3 ; group of 3 Dresden figures, “Man, Woman, Child and Dove,” £2 5s.; Dresden group, “The Sedan Chair,” £4 ; pair Dresden figures, £5 ; pair Dresden figures, “The Dancers,” £15 ; group of old Dresden, “Neptune and his Sea Horses,” £6 ; oval Dresden mirror frame, £3 10s.; set 3 old oriental mugs, £6 ; pencilled Worcester tea service, £10 ; pair Italian bottle vases, £6 5s.; pair Worcester vases, £8 ; pair powder blue Worcester pot pourri vases, £5 ; very rare bronze lustre bowl, £4 ; unique specimen of a Savona Plate, £4 ; old English blue and white tea service, £6 10s. ; Worcester china tea service, £14 10s.; Crown Derby tea service, £10 ; Chelsea blue and white tea and coffee service, £12 ; Crown Derby dessert service, £14 5s.; Part Crown Derby dinner service, £12 5s.; green and white Doulton dinner service, £9 ; oblong mustard pot, George IV, £4 10s.; double-handled sugar basin on claw feet, with cream jug and sugar bowl to match, £6 15s.; pair double-handled sauce boats, £4 ; pair tall candlesticks, with fluted stems on round bases, £5.

A unique specimen of a Savona plate £4. If you google Savona plate you will find one for auction with a guide price of £1,000 to £1,500 with a start price of £850.
Anything Dresden fetches a fortune.

The second day’s sale is good but I can tell you the third is well worth stopping up for.
I’ll try to get them both on later today.

R. S-S

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#50 Posted : 28 May 2010 17:44:08(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Now then day two has some good stuff on offer. Try to be patient and read through carefully and you just might like to google a few of the items.

Here they are:

second day’s sale

oil paintings ans other pictures

“The Madonna” by Cigoli, £5 ; “Saint Anne and the Infant Christ” by V. Schedone, £8 10s. ; “Mary Magdalene” by Guido Reni, £6 ; Antique Sampler, “Horse,” 10s ; “Justice and Mercy” by P. Bartoni, £11 ; “Joseph and the Holy Child”, £5 ; “The Crucifixion”, £2 ; “Farm Buildings, Figures, and Pigstye Interior” by G. Morland, £25 ; “The Grand Canal, Venice” by Canaletto, £12 ; “Scene in Venice” by Canaletto, £5 ; “Moonlight Scene with River, Cattle and Boat” by Aart Vander Neer, £7 ; “St. Anthony and Infant Christ” by Carlo Dolci, £6 ; “The Nativity”, £6 ; “The Adoration of the Magi” by Pietro Da Cortona, Barritini, £6 10s. ; “Landscape with Cattle, Sheep Dog and Shepherd” by Rosa da Tivoli, £3 10s. ; “Full Length Portrait of a Cavalier” by Caravaggio, £150 to Mr Ball, of Stalybridge ; “Pope Gregory” £100, to Mrs Scott ; “A Lady with Ruff”, £400, to Mr Gaskell, of Ingersley Hall ; (this picture was brought by an ancestor of the late Mrs Gosselyn, from Spain.    It was cut from its frame, wrapped up, and smuggled into England, where it was re-framed) ; “Castle and Harbour Scene” by Vander Velde, £18 ; “Portrait of a Gentleman in Wig” £4 10s. ; “Return of the Huntsman” by “Il Basano” (Jacopo da Ponte), £8 ; “The Holy Family”, £4 10s. ; “Saint with Infant Christ” by Contierra, £2 10s. ; “Figures and Sheep”, £14 ; “Dutch Scene with Church and Numerous Figures” by Van Ostade, £37 to Mr Percy Wright ; “Portrait” by Charles Hallé, R.A., £6 ; “The Crucifixion”, £4 ; “Lady at the Spinet”, £23 ; “Picture of a Farm” by Teniers, £9 ; “The Virgin and Child” by Albert Durer, £16.
Sheraton mahogany card table,  £5 5s.; mahogany pedestal writing desk, £7 ; rare old oak settle, £11 ; antique burr walnut miniature spice chest, £5 10s.;   antique oak hall chair, £5 ; old oak hall chair on turned supports, £2 2s. 6d.;  pair dark oak heavily carved hall chairs, £9 ; very fine old oak armchair, £5 ; antique plain old oak armchair, £10 ; genuine old oak armchair, £5 ;  fine old black lacquer table, £10 10s.; antique enclosed cabinet, £15 10s.; fine old oak rug chest, £15 ; old oak hall table, £8 5s.; chippendale mahogany single chair, £3 ; set 4 antique mahogany single chairs, £7 ; antique mahogany circular table, £7 ; antique walnut hall seat, £5 ; very rare and genuine antique Buhl table, £15 ; original Buhl inkstand, £3 2s. 6d.; genuine William and Mary card table, £10 ; massive brass semi-circular trivet, £5 5s.; Heppelwhite armchair, £18 ; very fine old mahogany extending dining table, £19 10s.; Georgian design mahogany sideboard, £13 ; very rare Chippendale mahogany sideboard, £70 to Colonel Preston, of Southampton ; fine old walnut kneehole writing desk, £40 to Mr Welsh.
Brass and ormolu time piece, £15 ; pair of ormolu rose leaf stands, £15 ; Louis XV brass ormolu timepiece, £20 ; Oil painting, “Queen of Cyprus,” by Il Moretto, £11 10s.; Oil painting, “The Pope,” £24 ; antique needlework panel, “St Francis of Assisi,” £21 ; upright grand pianoforte, £30, to Mr Ashworth of Timperley ; antique 8-days grandfather clock, £14 ; old 8-days grandfather clock, £15 10s.; Wilton pile stair carpet, £8 5s.; carved figure, “The Blessed Virgin,” £83 to Mr Needham, of Stockport ; heavily carved gilt console table, £12 ; circular Italian marble mosiac table, £8 10s.; large girandole in heavy gilt frame with eaglemount, £8. 

A couple of nice Canaletto’s; one made twelve quid and the other a fiver.

The one for 12 quid was not a bad investment, well better than my premium bonds anyway.

If it is the same painting and to be honest I don’t know how many Canaletto did of The Grand Canal in Venice but this is what Christie’s auction house said about it:

“We are also pleased with the result of Canaletto’s view of the Grand Canal which was offered for sale for the first time having passed by family descent since it was commissioned in 1738, and which realised $5.75 million.”

I might be barking up the wrong tree here but it would seem some very valuable stuff slipped through the fingers of the Misses Preston.

Any art experts out there I would very much appreciate your comments on the above but please let me do the final day’s sale later this evening.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#51 Posted : 29 May 2010 08:51:26(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Sadly it’s the third and last day of the rip-off. Sorry sale.

There are not as many items on this day but some interesting ones all the same.

third day’s sale

Carved oak armchair with cane back and seat, £4; 6 antique mahogany dining chairs, 12s. each ; Pier glass in gilt frame, with 3 mirror panels, £4 15s.; Axminster carpet square, 4 yards by 3½ yards, £4 6s.; Neat inlaid Sheraton mahogany swing mirror with 3 drawers, £3 ; Mahogany bow fronted 4-tier Chest of Drawers, £9 2s. 6d.; Handsome Spanish mahogany trio wardrobe with 6 moveable shelves, 6 drawers and hanging cupboard, £8 ; Four-tier Sheraton mahogany chest of drawers, £5 2s. 6d.; Oak bow-fronted corner cupboard with carved front, £2 5s.; Three-tier mahogany chest of drawers, £3 ; Small oak Queen Ann writing table with three drawers, £4 2s. 6d.; Capital Spanish mahogany trio wardrobe, £10 ; Small Sheraton mahogany wine bin, £9 ; Burr walnut military chest, £11 ; Oak Jacobean 4-tier chest of drawers, £4 15s.; Capital walnut bedroom suite, £20 ; 12 h.p. Bean 4-seater touring car (1925), £32 10s.; Ford light lurry (1 ton), £5 10s.

Have a google at the Bean car and even though I once bought a car for £20 I have never heard of anyone getting a Ford light lurry (1 ton) for five and a half quid.

R. S-S

Norm  
#52 Posted : 29 May 2010 15:06:11(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Is that the end of the sale, squire R.S-S

I think there is enough there to deserve it's own page.

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#53 Posted : 29 May 2010 15:22:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Yes.

snowy  
#54 Posted : 31 May 2010 10:04:16(UTC)
snowy

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Could the Canalettos have been prints?

http://www.fineartprintsondemand.com/artists/canaletto/grand_canal.htm

If so they got a decent price compared with what they got for the Bean tourer...

http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/84268

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#55 Posted : 31 May 2010 11:25:51(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Snowy,

I doubt very much if Samuel Grimshaw would have ever have bought anything unless it was original. He was a man of enormous wealth.

If you follow this link regarding Canaletto you will see he sold a lot of his paintings in England and Samuel, being so interested in Italy, would have been someone that Canaletto would have thought he might sell his works to.

Part of this document of his life states:

“Many of his pictures were sold to Englishmen on their Grand Tour, often through the agency of the merchant Joseph Smith (who was later appointed British Consul in Venice in 1744).
It was Smith who acted as an agent for Canaletto, first in requesting paintings of Venice from the painter in the early 1720s and helping him to sell his paintings to other Englishmen.”

Very interesting link to the Bean car by the way.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#56 Posted : 20 July 2010 18:43:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello everybody and also to you Holly if you are still with us,

Just a small snippet of information that I have just come across.

It’s quite interesting in the context of Errwood Hall and the present ownership of the Cat and Fiddle.

You might want to put this on your very excellent web site Well Known Norm.

"John Shaw's, 1738-1938"    by F.S. Stancliffe, 1938.

"With his (Samuel Grimshaw) ample means he had purchased over 2,000 acres on the slopes of the Taxal Valley, and included in his purchase was the Cat and Fiddle Inn, built or rebuilt about 1825.    But Samuel Grimshaw's incursion into those parts was promptly met by a challenge from the Earl of Derby.    His lordship owned extensive lands in the adjoining Macclesfield forest, and alleged that the Cat and Fiddle had been built on the Macclesfield forest side of the boundary and was therefore on his lordship's land.    Grimshaw would have none of it,    He sought out the old men of the Taxal Valley and brought them before a Master Extraordinary in Chancery, and one Daniel Downes swore before the Master that he knew all about the boundaries……………..And Dan's recollections were evidently too much for his lordship in Derby, and the Cat and Fiddle has remained with Taxal and with the Grimshaws and their successors to this day."

The Earl of Derby was an extensive landowner on the south western boundary of the old Jodrell estates.

The Cat and Fiddle in 1916 when the Grimshawes owned it.

R. S-S
Norm  
#57 Posted : 22 July 2010 16:56:36(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

R.S-S. I have had a look at the website and I am not 100% where to stick it, if you pardon the expression. So if can have a look and give me an idea I will follow it up.

By the way the very first line of your snippet says:-

"John Shaw's, 1738-1938"    by F.S. Stancliffe, 1938.

What is that? Or am I missing something. Is it a book? What is it 200 years of?

Perplexed, New Mills

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#58 Posted : 25 July 2010 12:38:50(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Hello Well Known Norm,

If possible could you introduce a new subsection, if that’s the right description, entitled The Cat and Fiddle Pub. I can add bits to that as and when I have time. Thank you.

By the way.

Below are a couple of newspaper items that I posted some time ago (somewhere, I know not where) but you could add them to your Myths and Tales section on your Whaley web site on the Errwood Hall topic.
Just to keep things up to date don’t you know?

R. S-S

Macclesfield Courier

30 January 1847.

burglary.    Information has been received at the County Police Office in this town of a desperate burglary, in which one of the burglars was killed, and to have taken place on Wednesday night at Errwood House, near Buxton, the seat of Samuel Grimshaw Esq.    The family are absent at Southport, and the house is left in charge of servants.    On Wednesday night, it is said, a gang of burglars broke in and seriously ill treated the servants, but while they were engaged in ransacking the house, the gamekeeper came up, and fired amongst them, killing one of the party on the spot; the rest made their escape.

Macclesfield Courier.

6 February 1847.

alleged burglary at errwood hall.    On the authority of the Superintendent of the County Police in this town, we gave currency last week to a rumour which prevailed of a man having been shot in an attempted burglary at Errwood Hall.    We have since ascertained from the same source that there was not one word of truth in the rumour.

Norm  
#59 Posted : 25 July 2010 12:50:41(UTC)
Norm

Man

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Hello Well Known Norm,

If possible could you introduce a new subsection, if that’s the right description, entitled The Cat and Fiddle Pub. I can add bits to that as and when I have time. Thank you.

By the way.

Below are a couple of newspaper items that I posted some time ago (somewhere, I know not where) but you could add them to your Myths and Tales section on your Whaley web site on the Errwood Hall topic.

R. S-S

OK, I will probably do it later today, out this afternoon for a couple of hours. You never did answer what the 200 years were.
Still perplexed
New Mills
umtali  
#60 Posted : 25 July 2010 13:13:52(UTC)

Groups: Guest

R. Stephenson-Smythe wrote:

Hello Well Known Norm,

R. S-S

Macclesfield Courier

30 January 1847.

burglary.     

Macclesfield Courier.

6 February 1847.

alleged burglary at errwood hall.     

They are already on Norm I put them on months back - Family page. (Poor old things loosing it).

Cheers