logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

23 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
shallcross  
#21 Posted : 08 September 2010 19:16:25(UTC)
shallcross

Groups: Member

File Attachment(s):
Rose and Crown.jpg (478kb) downloaded 95 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#22 Posted : 08 September 2010 21:05:21(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Rose and Crown from post #21

Norm attached the following image(s):
rose.jpg
shallcross  
#23 Posted : 10 September 2010 19:21:50(UTC)
shallcross

Horwich Ender

This is only about 200 yards out of the Fernilee Parish so not strictly Whaley I hope not to be banished.

Yes it is The Royal Oak but not Taxal

who knows where it is? 

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Royal Oak Nithen End.jpg
Shallcross
Horwich Ender  
#24 Posted : 10 September 2010 20:29:04(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening Shallcross.

I can just about accept 200 yards and can confirm you are forgiven for venturing outside the Parish Boundaries.

Shallcross, may I take this opportunity of welcoming you to this forum. Some of your contributions have been absolutely brilliant and I thank you for sharing with us your photographs and your extensive knowledge of Whaley Bridge.

I must admit I don't know where your Royal Oak is but I bet I know a man who does.

Over to you R. S-S.

buggyite  
#25 Posted : 10 September 2010 22:15:34(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Here's one for my good friend Glenda:

Previously in this thread, the matter of the evolution of the horse has been discussed, and I am sure there are those who have thought the matter very much off-topic. However, below, I have a historical photograph of a pub, albeit over the parish boundary a little, that links up the matter of equine evolution and local pubs very nicely thus bringing the issue back on-topic.

It has already been explained how the number of legs per horse had been optimised at four by the early part of the 20th century, so having no further work to do on limb development, evolution then began to work on the brain power of the horse. Most of us will have seen various variety acts where a horse is apparently shown to be able to do simple mathematics, but we will have considered this nothing but a "trick". The photograph below shows a horse pegging a game of dominoes at the Shoulder of Mutton in 1937, thereby proving that by that date, horses had become sufficiently intelligent to do not only addition, but also their 3 and 5 times tables!

Edited by user 10 September 2010 22:16:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

buggyite attached the following image(s):
SoM.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
G. Jackson  
#26 Posted : 11 September 2010 12:46:18(UTC)
G. Jackson

I think I am related to two of the players (not the horse though). G.J.

CllrJonG  
#27 Posted : 11 September 2010 12:52:43(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

Shallcross's picture of the White Horse at Horwich End is superb!  I havn't seen one from this angle before.

One of the really interesting things about it is the  building'  on the right of the sweet shop, which no longer exists. It has an official look to it , and I wonder if its an old Toll House. I've always looked at the gable end of the house opposite the White Horse and thought it didn't look quite right. Now I understand why.

There seems to be a sign just above the gentlemans head in the picture. If Shalcross has the original, I wonder if he can make out any lettering on it which gives a clue as to the function of the building. Toll Houses were wound up between 1873 and 1878, and the picture is later than this, so the building at this time would be being used for something else.  I'm having trouble dating the photo too. The pylon at the top right must be either for telephone or electricity, but apparently although the first telephone exchange was installed in a house in Canal street in 1906, there were no private telephones installed until after 1945 - see http://www.whaleyspringbank.co.uk/whaley.htm . The picture does looks to be well before 1945, so it's unlikely to be a telephone pylon. Perhhaps then it is electricity, but this only came to Whaley in 1929 and many houses weren't actually supplied until after 1939. see http://www.whaleybridge.com/pages/history.html The hat and clothes the chap is wearing could be equally in place in the 19th or 20th centuries, so no real help there. I suspect its taken around 1930, but perhaps someone knows better. If it was 1930, then there may still be people around who remember exactly what the building was used for.

I thought it would be useful to attach a then and now picture for comparison.

Edited by user 11 September 2010 13:05:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
WhiteHorse_newresize1.jpg
whitehorsenownewresize.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Gnatalee  
#28 Posted : 11 September 2010 14:09:46(UTC)
Gnatalee

Hi Jon

I would have thought the photo a littler earlier, though am not sure why ! The interesting part to me is that you can see on the up-to-date photo where the downstairs window of the oricinal shop has been replaced. Have had a look on Ancestry to see what is around in 1891 but it doesn't name individual buildings as such. Will keep digging ! 

Gnats

Edited by user 11 September 2010 14:10:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#29 Posted : 11 September 2010 15:21:41(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

An extension to the photo posted recently by Shallcross.

I am away for the next week so please hold the fort for me Shallcross and Buggyite.

R. S-S

G. Jackson  
#30 Posted : 11 September 2010 16:29:45(UTC)
G. Jackson

Jon. The pylon to which you refer is a telegraph pole. It is holding the trunk route wires from Whaley Bridge to Buxton exchanges and 

the Manchester to Birmingham route. This will have linked these two cities calling in at each telephone exchange on the route to be

have the signal amplified. You also quoted from another source that telephones were not fitted in houses until 1945, this is not quite

correct. Most houses in Britain did not in fact have a telephone until the 1960s boom. Some did although, but  not many, the

telephones were businesses and doctors and the wealthy and as soon as they were available (1906 onwards). The first number (No 1 ) 

in Whaley Bridge was, I seem to remember, the butchers shop at the traffic lights (later Andrews and now Colemans).

Edited by user 11 September 2010 16:30:51(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#31 Posted : 11 September 2010 21:00:20(UTC)
shallcross

Jon

I can't read what is written on the board but I agree the pole is a telegraph pole and I would date this around 1920 I do have another without the pole or the bank on the other side around 1905. what it was I am not sure I have been told that it may have housed a bakery but maybe someone else on the forum can throw some light upon its use, I will post the other view looking up so with RSS post you can see the whole row you can see the windows in the gable end, we must be careful not to loose the thread of Whaley Pubs.

shallcross attached the following image(s):
WB Horwich End - Macclesfield Rd.jpg
Shallcross
G. Jackson  
#32 Posted : 12 September 2010 15:57:20(UTC)
G. Jackson

R.S-S's post #29 shows a cycle shop  which until recently was a ladies hairdressers run by Horwich End lady Lillian Clark. At

the time of the photograph it was a cycle shop owned and run by Ernie Wild who lived at the very top of Macclesfield Road.. After

the cycle shop it was a radio shop run by Fred Beard where you could buy radios or have them repaired. In those days you had

to have your radio battery charged ( an accumulator battery) every week or so. There was also a shop in Whaley Bridge that did

similar and this is now a Chinese chippy and the gap between the shop and the next building (Morten's) was where the

accumulators were charged.

Edited by user 12 September 2010 16:19:45(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross  
#33 Posted : 13 September 2010 21:27:43(UTC)
shallcross

File Attachment(s):
Shady Oak 1986.jpg (283kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#34 Posted : 13 September 2010 21:30:37(UTC)
Norm

Man

Photo from post #33

Norm attached the following image(s):
Shady Oak 1986.jpg
Horwich Ender  
#35 Posted : 14 September 2010 17:52:38(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good afternoon Well Known Norm

Many thanks for putting the photographs recently provided by Parabuild, R. S-S and Shallcross in the Local History Photo Album.

Only 8 more pubs to go now.

Has anyone else got historical photographs of our local Public Houses?

The pubs not yet featured are the Goyt, Navigation, Railway, Shepherds, Male Hen, Dog & Partridge, Sycamore and Jolly Sailor.

umtali  
#36 Posted : 15 September 2010 08:27:00(UTC)

Groups: Guest

I have enhanced and enlarged a 1904 picture of the Jodrell Arms, an interesting picture depicting the delivery of beer. Original post by R.S-S
It is located where my website used to be should anyone care to relocate it.
(I do not have the facility to post pictures here).

umtali

lord cornflake  
#37 Posted : 15 September 2010 14:24:28(UTC)
lord cornflake

Great thread chaps.I was wondering if anyone had a photo of The Quiet Woman on Old Rd.Keep up the good work. 

umtali  
#38 Posted : 15 September 2010 15:54:21(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Jon your picture #27 on this string is much too big at 1230 pixels wide resulting in having to pan sideways for all the other postings.
Just noticed the modern version same pub is also over size at 1115 wide -
850 pixels is the safe maximum width.

umtali

Fedup  
#39 Posted : 15 September 2010 18:35:12(UTC)
Fedup

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 2 post(s)

umtali wrote:

Jon your picture #27 on this string is much too big at 1230 pixels wide resulting in having to pan sideways for all the other postings.
Just noticed the modern version same pub is also over size at 1115 wide -
850 pixels is the safe maximum width.

umtali

Not  often do I agree with**, but in this case I must.

It is so very, very aggravating to have to keep panning to read the postings, especially when they are long.  I'm sure all of you who post  these wonderful photos can post them on a smaller scale to stop this happening.  Please, please!!

CllrJonG  
#40 Posted : 15 September 2010 19:24:40(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

There you go boys and girls - reduced.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com