logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
moogie  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2010 15:59:29(UTC)
moogie

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

Hi

As you can tell im new on here....and before you all take the mick.....yes i can read that is a Whaley forum.......

Anyways I am looking for old photos of the Buggy area...I know there is a fair bit on the internet concerning the basin....but im looking for stuff between Whaley and Chinley. I live in Buggy and am looking for infor about my house and surrounding areas...such as the strange semi embedded structures in the field next to the house...this is all around the jane lane area..this is things located on the otherseide of black brook from the tram way....Im also trying to research a John Simpson...Shopkeeper and Stone mason who build the house.....

well  just thought id ask

cheers

G. Jackson  
#2 Posted : 03 September 2010 16:03:47(UTC)
G. Jackson

May I be the first to welcome you to the forum. It does cover Bugsworth and some of our members do in fact live thereabouts. G.J.

moogie  
#3 Posted : 03 September 2010 16:34:04(UTC)
moogie

cheers....altho a bit of 'ribbing ' on any forum is good....

had a good look thru prev posts and some cracking info about!

shallcross  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2010 22:34:39(UTC)
shallcross

Hi Moogie

No one seems to be replying to you so this may help it isn't quite showing what you want I don't think

As for John Simpson you may have to be a little more precise as to the year your house was built there have been a number of John Simpsons Stonemason my family history is Whaley Bridge Depledge, Chinley & Chapel Simpson so you may be lucky.

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Bugsworth.jpg
Shallcross
moogie  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2010 09:39:11(UTC)
moogie

Hi

thanks for the pic.......

the house is Rosey Bank Built 1869....there is a plaque on the fron JMS 1869

John Simpson is listed as the builder in the deeds........

I have been doing what research i can on web.....

I was told the house was originally 1....that was split into 3 in 1900?.....but there is also a forth house which i think was added later....thus trying to find out what i can pics etc.....

Had found lots of simpsons Issacs Josephs etc, and sure i saw a doc stating the land was left to simpson but sumone in whitehough

buggyite  
#6 Posted : 06 September 2010 10:32:57(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi Moogy,

Which field are these strange structures in? - the one below the road between Rosey Bank and the railway bridge? Or the one on the other side of Jane Lane? I will have to go and have a look once I know which field.

That's a grand picture provided by Shallcross, I have been trying to date it accurately, but so far I've only narrowed it down to between 1906 and 1932. The foundation stones of the Congregational Chapel on Brierley Green were laid in 1906, and the first stage houses on Brierley Park (the stone-built ones) were built in 1932/3, I think. There is no sign whatsoever of preparatory work going on in the field behind the chapel, so Its probably pre-1930.

I am hoping that Shallcross can date it for us, as Jackson will be no use because there are no visible horses or telephone posts on this postcard.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
moogie  
#7 Posted : 06 September 2010 12:19:46(UTC)
moogie

Buggyite....

as you walk down to the bottom path on jane lane....its in the bottom field adjacent to the brook....

there is what looks like the top of an old 'van'....with nothing in!!....past that there is a rather large concrete circle in the floor with steps ......then brick foundations around and about....

it may be old farm stuff...but just seemed out of place.........hence was lookin for old pics......as sumone had said there were old buildings from the tramway days....which seemed odd being it the opposite side of the brook.....

heres a question for ya...next to the chaple in buggy ....there is an old entrance to a mine...as ive been told.....ive seen it....has anyone ever been in explored or is it capped off?..

as you can imagine....im facinated with everything local now...been after info an photies on the whole area...i love it...

yeah great pic...were the stone council houses behind ours built about the same time....??....

buggyite  
#8 Posted : 06 September 2010 13:01:10(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Moogie,

I presume you mean the Primitive Methodist Chapel, opposite Buggy Club, rather than the Congregational one that is on the photograph.

What there is, on the east side, is a tunnel through which there was a branch of the Tramway into a quarry. So, it's not a mine adit or sough. Come wintertime, when the trees and scrub are bare, you should be able to see it.

As far as the 1930s council houses are concerned, I think the Jane Lane ones are to the same design to the Brierley Park ones, but I can't say for certain when they were built. There are more examples of this design on Buxton Road in Chinley, on the right just before you get to Alderbrook School.

I wonder if your John Simpson was related to the Rev Willie Simpson who preached into his 90's in Buxworth. Most locals will be able to tell you tales of Willie, usually involving him stepping right into the road in front of an oncoming car, to request, nay DEMAND, a lift home!

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
moogie  
#9 Posted : 06 September 2010 15:02:48(UTC)
moogie

yes the PM Chapel ...Aha tramway tunnel.......so that must have gone pretty far back.....(have seen it....and been tempted to enter)....used to do a bit of caving back in the day ......and prob unwisley think im still an explorer!!

i though it was somthing to do with the 'buxworth hall' colliery....have seen bits further down new road.....

Seem like there were a fair few 'simpsons' between whaley and chinley/chapel

the intrest with the house history is due to the person we bought it off saying it used to be 1 house...and ours was the main part.....and from the inside its very odd different lay out to the others with original stone  staircase setting.....plus alcovse that look like blocked up doorways etc....also looks like part of the cellar is hidden..

yes the jane lane houses do look like the one in chinley ....there are also some up dove holes way that are similar.....

Rev Simpson sounds like card....alto suprised he survived with the speed some of the kids drive thru Buggy!!

moogie  
#10 Posted : 07 September 2010 09:45:14(UTC)
moogie

Shallcross......are you able to inform me any furthr with the extra info provided?

thanks for the pic.....i you have any more of the 'rosey baks area i would love to see...

many thanks

moogie

moogie  
#11 Posted : 15 September 2010 11:33:07(UTC)
moogie

hi again....

can anyone offer any advice on local places i can search for old pics of buggy, even if i have to pay for somthingi want etc...

libiarys shops et al...

many thanks

moogie

buggyite  
#12 Posted : 15 September 2010 11:57:49(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Hi Moogie,

There are quite a lot of photos of the Canal, The Peak Forest Tramway, the quarries and the limekilns here:

http://www.pittdixon.go-plus.net/index.html

At the end of Alan Watson's book "Bygone Days of Chinley" he wrote :

"Dear Reader,

If you have found enjoyment in reading this record of various places and events in Chinley, look out for the next publication, which will cover Whitehough & Bugsworth"

Now I don't have a copy of this follow-on publication, so I suspect it didn't get produced. I'd love to be proved wrong, though!

I don't think that the original book is still in print, but it was printed by the Peak Press at Chapel, so it might be worth asking them.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
buggyite  
#13 Posted : 15 September 2010 12:23:14(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Oh, and here's a nice photograph for you. Its at Brierley Green bridge no. 119, taken in 1902 before the tracks were widened. Obviously (to me at least!)  the locos are Midland Railway ones, the pilot loco being a Johnson "Spinner" with just the one pair of driving wheels, and the train engine is a slightly more modern 4-4-0.

The Midland Railway at that time had a "small engine" policy, which meant that many trains would be double-headed like this, especially on the heavily-graded Manchester to Derby line.

buggyite attached the following image(s):
brierleygreen.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
umtali  
#14 Posted : 15 September 2010 12:57:49(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Moogie.

A trawl on the internet turned up 4 images you may not have seen before, I have placed them on my web space,  You perhaps still have the address,

Cheers
umtali
G. Jackson  
#15 Posted : 15 September 2010 12:58:55(UTC)
G. Jackson

Not that I'm even slightly interested in railways etc. but if you type buxworth into ebay there is a postcard/photograph of a diesel train in Buxworth for sale. Not very dear if you want it.   G.J.

buggyite  
#16 Posted : 15 September 2010 17:04:49(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I'd noticed that photo too, Glenda - not my cup of tea, either!

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#17 Posted : 15 September 2010 20:15:46(UTC)
shallcross

Moogie

The book by Alan Watson was published way back now in 1993, bygone Days of Whitehough & Bugsworth I have seen copies on ebay before, but published by Peak Press Chapel 01298 812738 you never know they may be able to help or if he is still there Alan Watson 4 Hawthorne Close Chinley Stockport Cheshire SK12 6DD

meanwhile here's one that doesn't appear in the book.

peace before the bypass

OOps thats a bit large somebody reduce it please before I get in bother!

Edited by user 15 September 2010 20:24:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Shallcross
shallcross  
#18 Posted : 15 September 2010 20:17:44(UTC)
shallcross

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Bugsworth  Barren Clough.jpg
Shallcross
G. Jackson  
#19 Posted : 15 September 2010 20:43:59(UTC)
G. Jackson

Brilliant photo, brings back many memories. Thanks.

CllrJonG  
#20 Posted : 15 September 2010 21:54:44(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

reduced using Irfanview .

Jon.

CllrJonG attached the following image(s):
BugsworthBarrenClough.jpg
Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com