logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
umtali  
#21 Posted : 25 October 2010 09:00:20(UTC)

Groups: Guest

snoopy wrote:

Well**, rather than be off topic on another thread, you can add here which posts/threads/stories you think should be put on the website. That's what this thread is for after all.

Not like you to be constructive Snoopy - but - well done.

1    Goyt Valley Roads Tracks & Trails

1. Historical Photographs of Whaley Pubs

1. Explosions in The Goyt Valley!!

1. Lost railway lines in Whaley Bridge, and other

1. Steam Wagons & Traction

That is what it was set up for – to store research and historical local facts.

Norm  
#22 Posted : 25 October 2010 17:28:23(UTC)
Norm

Groups: Member
Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi

I am not too sure whether some of these subects actually require adding to the site. The prime example I see is the local pub one. When the photographs are removed, which are going in the album anyway, there is not a great deal of info. The Steam Wagons have info which is not Whaley Bridge related, so some of that needs avoiding. Obviously explosions in the goyt valley is a yes, but as mentioned in earlier posts we are/were waiting for the end of it before any work is started.

Maybe the creators of these posts/threads may add their ideas on this subject. It goes without saying that nothing is ruled out if it is a viable subject.

Norm

umtali  
#23 Posted : 25 October 2010 19:34:57(UTC)

There is s lot more potential in the Public House topic than being committed to the photo album. What about the people that ran and used them it can be a great mix of pictures and stories for a website. To extract the pictures and dump the text is a complete waste; add the census details for example.

Also not to include items because they are not directly associated with Whaley Bridge is a narrow insular outlook the contributors are clearly experts on their chosen topics i.e. Steam Wagons and they are local why throw away their facts and details, the next generation will not provide them.
Norm  
#24 Posted : 25 October 2010 20:40:53(UTC)
Norm

Man

Calm down (it's not a commercial), that is why I asked contributors what they thought. There is not enough info at the moment, on the other hand I doubt if I can create a website containing the history of the world.

Norm

shallcross  
#25 Posted : 25 October 2010 20:50:35(UTC)
shallcross

Norm

Do what you feel comfortable with you are only able to input so much before it becomes a task that is not enjoyable,but on this occassion I do agree with** that if the forum was to end, then you would have saved some good local History and  have an interesting web site.

Maybe we should ask these, this is the Whaley Eleven that you all talk about is it not?

The Postcard is from 1907 by the way.

Edited by user 25 October 2010 21:31:24(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Whaley Bridge - Otteds.jpg (307kb) downloaded 45 time(s).
Shallcross
Norm  
#26 Posted : 25 October 2010 21:03:07(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

Below is the picture from the previous post.

Yes I agree with you, I doubt if the forum will end, but as you say the website will never be lost. I have umpteen copies, too old and wise to trust only three

As I said in previous posts, some subjects are lacking in info. I could create a sort of skeleton section with photos and the text from the posts but I feel more info will be required.

I have to smile to myself when I think that** destroyed the site because people did not supply information quick enough when it was just Errwood Hall, and now we have many topics, how time changes things.  

As for the WB 11, I doubt if they are bothered about history.

Norm

Edited by user 25 October 2010 22:55:16(UTC)  | Reason: Must lern to spel

Norm attached the following image(s):
WhaleBridgeOtteds.jpg
umtali  
#27 Posted : 26 October 2010 08:03:01(UTC)

Norm wrote:

I have to smile to myself when I think that** destroyed the site because people did not supply information quick enough when it was just Errwood Hall,

Norm

quote]

It’s actually still standing, a lighthouse in a storm,  just a little peripheral damage from recent additions

Norm  
#28 Posted : 31 October 2010 10:41:56(UTC)
Norm

Man

Good morning (well it is now).

As the longest month of the year comes to an end and the dark nights close in I have added the posts from Goyt Valley Roads Tracks & Trails. A superb thread created by Shallcross. Thanks Shallcross.

Norm

umtali  
#29 Posted : 02 November 2010 07:32:14(UTC)

Enthusiastic lot aren’t they Norm perhaps you could try making update announcements from the top of the Mechanics flagpole in the nude. You just might get some feed back then – probably in the form of a complaint.

I think it looks good.
umtali
Norm  
#30 Posted : 05 December 2010 14:55:11(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi All

Hope you are keeping warm. The sun is cracking the flags here in New Mills.

I have added a new section to the website. A Bridge Too Far. This thread is well down the forum now. It is a delightful tale that goes to show that the powers that be in committees in the 1920s were just as good as the ones we have today.

Norm

Norm  
#31 Posted : 08 May 2011 14:19:00(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

I have started something I have been meaning to do for a bit now. I have no idea how long it will take because I am only going to do it in bits when I feel like.

In the album an image may appear after a photo, it will look like this  There are some in the people page as an example.

Clicking on the image will take you to the thread on the forum that relates to the photograph. As I have said there this will take a bit of time, but hopefully linking the two sites closer will not be a bad idea.

Norm

Curious  
#32 Posted : 08 May 2011 14:52:12(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi Norm

Great idea. 

I've got some spare time on my hands at the moment, so if you think I can help you with this at all, please let me know.

Mrs C

G. Jackson  
#33 Posted : 08 May 2011 15:16:39(UTC)
G. Jackson

Dear Norman,

What am I doing wrong as I cannot see the "thing" at the side of any of the photos?

G.J.

Norm  
#34 Posted : 08 May 2011 15:28:58(UTC)
Norm

Man

First Glenda

It is only in a few pages at the moment, got to More People. There are only 3 photos on that at the moment and the last one should have the "thing", as you put it next to it. Refresh your page (F5) if you cannot see it.

Curious

That's a great offer. Anyone can do this. Linking the photo to the thread can be time consuming. If anyone wants to all they have to do it tell me the photo. Eg. Places, 3rd one on row 2. And the thread that photo is in. That is in your broswer bar at the top, and the end it may say t=690 t being the thread number, it may say p=2 if that thread has more than one page. So that would be thread 690 page 2

http://www.whaleybridge.net/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=690&p=2

They are only examples, probably not related. You can put the info in a post or email me at the local history site.

Thanks

Norm

G. Jackson  
#35 Posted : 08 May 2011 15:46:28(UTC)
G. Jackson

Thanks Norman,It was the page refresh that did it.

Very good idea by the way, thanks it will link the photos to the forum well .

Norm  
#36 Posted : 16 May 2011 21:30:52(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

Most done now.

Also I have added a link from each article, e.g. Murder Stone, to the thread that supplied the information. That connects the two websites quite nicely. Onwards and upwards 

Norm

Norm  
#37 Posted : 03 June 2011 18:15:26(UTC)
Norm

Man

Website updates.

All links are now done back to this forum.

Photo album now contains 176 photographs.

There is now a link available for people to send in photographs if they cannot scan them in themselves, I don't expect many photographs by this method, but it's nice to be available if required.

Norm

G. Jackson  
#38 Posted : 03 June 2011 19:45:22(UTC)
G. Jackson

Well done Norman, I'm sure this will be used and very useful to everyone.

Thank you.

snoopy  
#39 Posted : 16 August 2011 08:08:21(UTC)
snoopy

WOW

Norm  
#40 Posted : 16 August 2011 19:09:14(UTC)
Norm

Man

Ta Snoopy, and thanks for advertising the AGM, you just beat me to it.

There are many reasons I changed the site, the main one is that I can keep better track of it and easier to make additions. It is quite a large site now with 35 screens and about 200 photographs. Also the photo album section has changed somewhat, I hope people get use to it, just click the navigation bar at the bottom to try things out. The overall navigation round the site is improved, less having to press next and previous, most screens have buttons to move round quickly.

The addition of a search facility may prove useful. Although it does ignore the photograph descriptions in the album.

The Errwood section has changed to match the rest of the site, and some new photos added while I was there.

I hope it meets with some approval, but then not bad for nowt.

Norm