logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
parabuild  
#41 Posted : 16 August 2011 19:31:07(UTC)
parabuild

Groups: Member
Man

Excellent Norm.  I particularly like the full screen facility in the photo gallery.

Gio  
#42 Posted : 16 August 2011 23:23:11(UTC)
Gio

Man

Hello Norm..the site is very interesting and this weekend I will be having a really good look at it....I have admiration for the work you seem to have put into it. Thanks Gio

snoopy  
#43 Posted : 18 August 2011 07:35:38(UTC)
snoopy

I know we shouldn't expect hundreds of posts on here, but only three people appear to like the site, and one of them is new. What is strange is that the main author of the site has not posted, and since he is a friend of Norms it must make it worse.

Or is it me? I don't know if I expect too much but I am sure quite a lot of work must have gone into the site, so being ignored cannot be pleasing. Maybe it is a reflection on how people think, but there are over six hundred members of the forum, of which 99% only like moaning I suspect. An old poster on here said "Enthusiastic lot" about the members here on this very subject, maybe he was right after all.

Edited by user 18 August 2011 07:40:00(UTC)  | Reason: Get my quotes right!

bengunn  
#44 Posted : 18 August 2011 09:15:06(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Top Marks Norm

(No problem mate that’s what neighbours are for).

Edited by user 20 August 2011 16:58:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bengunn attached the following image(s):
award.jpg
gritch  
#45 Posted : 18 August 2011 11:01:26(UTC)
gritch

Norm.... You have done an amazing job with this site and I applaud you for all  the  time and effort you have devoted to it. . I only joined the forum a couple of months ago and as parabuild has already commented, the full screen facility on the photo gallery is a vast improvement and is a lot more user friendly. The intro page looks really good and welcoming, I'm sure there are a lot more people out there who think the same and so on behalf of the silent majority...............

Thank you Norm - your work has not gone unnoticed    

PS.

for you too R.S-S. I hadn't realised you had played a part as well.

Edited by user 18 August 2011 14:00:06(UTC)  | Reason: added ps

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#46 Posted : 18 August 2011 13:40:27(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

snoopy wrote:

I know we shouldn't expect hundreds of posts on here, but only three people appear to like the site, and one of them is new. What is strange is that the main author of the site has not posted, and since he is a friend of Norms it must make it worse.

Or is it me? I don't know if I expect too much but I am sure quite a lot of work must have gone into the site, so being ignored cannot be pleasing. Maybe it is a reflection on how people think, but there are over six hundred members of the forum, of which 99% only like moaning I suspect. An old poster on here said "Enthusiastic lot" about the members here on this very subject, maybe he was right after all.

A very good afternoon to you Mr. Snoopy,

I must assume that your post regarding the non contributor is a reference to me.
In fact I shall go further than assume and say that it is 100% certain that you are pointing the finger at me.

What is more if the circumstances were as you see them then you would be absolutely correct in singling me out for criticism. And what is more I would openly state on here that I deserve it.

However you do not know the full circumstances of my non appearance on this topic. But as you have thrown down the gauntlet then I will have to respond.

You are correct that I do indeed regard Well Known Norm as a very good friend; he is a top bloke and a wizard with computers. I, on the other hand, know very little about computers at all.
But in creating this magnificent website (I feel justified now to describe it thus) I have worked tirelessly alongside Well Known Norm (WKN).
We would not have been able to do it without each other.
It has been a back-breaking job I can tell you.

But we did eventually finish it and now you can see the end product and you are obviously impressed by our work.

The reason I did not come on here and start the praise flowing (and flow like the Goyt it should) is because it would be a sort of self congratulatory message.
I could hardly pat myself on the back. Have you tried that by the way? You can only do it with the back of your hand and it always reminds me of my Dad saying he would give me the back of his hand for various childhood offences.

So now you are in the picture, so to speak, and have the full facts in front of you I would like to endorse and echo your sentiments:
Well done Well Known Norm and well done me (a bit).

I hope that sets the record straight.
Can’t wait for a reply from WKN.

R. S-S
Gnatalee  
#47 Posted : 18 August 2011 13:44:02(UTC)
Gnatalee

Thank you Norm - as Parabuild has said, the full screen facility is great and I like the fact that some of the photos are linked to particular threads, which makes it easier to find the original "chat" about them. The layout is brill also, very easy to navigate.

Well done !! Your efforts are greatly appreciated - Whaley is lucky to have someone talented and dedicated enough to dislpay all this interesting information.

Gnats

Edited by user 18 August 2011 13:45:20(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#48 Posted : 18 August 2011 18:32:37(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Snoopy, I do agree with some of what you say, but not about R.S-S. We actually spoke on the phone about it the other night and he said he liked the end result. He does a lot of work, for one thing he is endlessly added photos to Flickr :) and deleting others as well :( oh hum.

Thanks go to those that say they like it, I keep looking and fixing little bits, it will be about a month or so until I like it, and have fixed the small problems. I am pleased the album has gone down well, again I can see bits that need tweeking.

Norm

Gnatalee  
#49 Posted : 18 August 2011 18:45:41(UTC)
Gnatalee

Norm, that's the sign of a perfectionist - tweeking here and there !! We are lucky to have someone who takes pride in their work (which is voluntary, unpaid, willing) !! Well done ! 

Gnats

Edited by user 18 August 2011 18:46:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#50 Posted : 19 August 2011 07:26:16(UTC)
snoopy

R.S-S. I apologise if I critised you too much. I was under the impression you just put your posts on, with or without photos, and Norm did all the work of creating the website from them. I can see now why you don't pat yourself on the back, but you should if you could. I wonder how much a site of that size would cost if we had to pay for it, not a small amount I would guess.

Well done to the both of you, and I am a bit happier now that others have joined this thread in praise. Not 100% sure of the oscar though, newbie's with edited photos scare me, can't imagine why.

Norm  
#51 Posted : 20 August 2011 10:57:30(UTC)
Norm

Man

snoopy wrote:

R.S-S.......... I was under the impression you just put your posts on, with or without photos, and Norm did all the work of creating the website from them.

You are, of course, totally correct, I was being kind to R.S-S. BUT let's not forget the work he does do, it takes time to go through all his carefully retained archived possessions and create the posts. Also he should not take all the credit, three others that spring to mind are Buggyite, Parabuild and Shallcross, and others of course to a lesser extent e.g. Gnats.

We did have a conversion, as I said, so I was not bothered about receiving any praise. The main thing is I am not "after" receiving praise, I do it because I want to and for all people who like history, and I have received emails as well, so thanks to them that emailed me, not everyone wants to post praise, it is not required.

If anyone has any ideas for the website please let me know, I will not say I will do it but it's good to get other people's ideas, I might miss something that is obviously missing.

Norm

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#52 Posted : 20 August 2011 15:29:52(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Norm,

Thank you very much for setting the record straight that was very kind of you.

Incidentally I think Shallcross is away at the moment but when he returns we must ask him if he can continue his Packhorse Trails but with a new title:
Limestone Trails.

This can trace the Limestone route from North Wales all the way To Old Road via Taxel and who knows where it will end up next.
Hopefully Deadman’s Gulch.

R. S-S
G. Jackson  
#53 Posted : 20 August 2011 15:51:57(UTC)
G. Jackson

I noticed that R. S-S spells Taxal in exactly the same way as  "he who shall not be named"  this makes me wonder if they are one and the same person?????????

G.J.

Norm  
#54 Posted : 20 August 2011 22:36:38(UTC)
Norm

Man

Is there anybody out there that can explain in simple terms what post #44 is about? Copy attached.

Norm

Norm attached the following image(s):
idiot.jpg
bengunn  
#55 Posted : 21 August 2011 07:58:24(UTC)

Norm wrote:

Is there anybody out there that can explain in simple terms what post #44 is about? Copy attached.

Norm

“An Old Ham” replaced with “Wilde’s” sausage – tweaking?
G. Jackson  
#56 Posted : 21 August 2011 12:47:52(UTC)
G. Jackson

One can excuse R.S-S for incorrectly spelling Taxal but can there be a reason Bengunn  spelling Wild's butchers with an "e". Is Bengunn the reincarnation of some old and  not wanted member of this forum.?  He can post photos very well for a "newbie"

bengunn  
#57 Posted : 21 August 2011 13:15:44(UTC)

G. Jackson wrote:

One can excuse R.S-S for incorrectly spelling Taxal but can there be a reason Bengunn  spelling Wild's butchers with an "e". Is Bengunn the reincarnation of some old and  not wanted member of this forum.?  He can post photos very well for a "newbie"

bengunn attached the following image(s):
wilde.jpg
bengunn  
#58 Posted : 21 August 2011 13:58:51(UTC)

How did you manage to do that Norm, not sure it’s  a good idea?
Norm  
#59 Posted : 21 August 2011 16:33:37(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

I am sure all regulars will realise that the idiot** has returned as Bengunn, up to his usual anti-social tricks of changing posts after he has posted them. His actions are, as always, against the running of this site. I am sure that his posts and this one will be removed as soon as the powers that be see them.

One has to wonder why he does it, but then who does understand the workings of a deranged mind. So can new members of the forum please ignore Bengunn's posts until they are removed. I have reported them.

Norm

Horwich Ender  
#60 Posted : 21 August 2011 21:18:47(UTC)
Horwich Ender

Good evening Well Known Norm.

I note you “hope the new Whaley Bridge History Site meets with some approval” and in my opinion it is absolutely terrific and is something Whaley Bridge can be very proud of.

You must have put endless hours of work into this project and I would like to thank you for your time and skills in producing this magnificent site.

Thanks must also go to R. S-S for his input and the efforts of both of you are very much appreciated.