logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Devious  
#21 Posted : 02 October 2010 20:33:12(UTC)
Devious

Groups: Member

Re. posts 19/20.  I apologise for the quality of the pictures but they have been lying in the bottom of a draw for many years. On the small picture my grandfather is wearing the trilby, He was from Kettleshulme and was quarry manager for many years at Hughes Bros, Waterswallows. I am not sure if the truck in the small picture is steam or diesel. I will post pictures another time of my grandfather parading on  Buxton market place in Sherwood Foresters uniform prior to going of to the 1st world war,

Devious  

umtali  
#22 Posted : 03 October 2010 08:13:46(UTC)

Groups: Guest

Devious wrote:

Re. posts 19/20.  I apologise for the quality of the pictures but they have been lying in the bottom of a draw for many years.

Devious  

Both pictures are now on my website in a better state of health - I think.

Cut and paste if you wish.

shallcross  
#23 Posted : 05 October 2010 23:31:05(UTC)
shallcross

What do you make of this Buggyite?

File Attachment(s):
Agricultural Traction.jpg (1,238kb) downloaded 78 time(s).
Shallcross
buggyite  
#24 Posted : 06 October 2010 00:20:37(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hello Shallcross,

Its an early farm tractor, rather than a traction engine. It will have had a single cylinder petrol "putt putt" engine, and the tank at the front was for cooling water to keep the cylinder head of the engine cool. This was before radiators became common. I would say its an International "Titan", like the preserved one in the other photograph below.

buggyite attached the following image(s):
AgriculturalTraction.jpg
1342581_d4febdd5.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
buggyite  
#25 Posted : 06 October 2010 23:03:36(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Devious,

Thank you for allowing us to see those photos. Don't worry about the quality, its the subject matter!

The first photo does indeed show a Foden "Speed-6" undertype wagon, with a drawbar trailer in tow, so it is the wagon I was hoping to see. They were the most modern of the Foden steam wagons, with pneumatic tyres, electric lights and an enclosed cab, built to compete with Sentinel's S-types.

Behind it is a more traditional Foden overtype steam wagon, "overtype" referring to the fact that the engine (cylinder block, conn rods, crankshaft) was over the boiler.  It is still a little out of the ordinary, as it is a 6-wheeler.

The second photograph is of a diesel lorry, so can't help identify it, sorry.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
moogie  
#26 Posted : 13 October 2010 10:29:33(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)
buggyite  
#27 Posted : 15 October 2010 15:19:15(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Moogie,

There was a "Buxworth Steam Group" who not only had an assortment of traction engines, steam rollers, steam wagons and vintage fairground equipment, but also organised steam rallies all over the country. I assumed that whoever lettered up that matchbox wagon had that in mind.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#28 Posted : 15 October 2010 15:44:57(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello, Buggyite,

Maybe you have seen this photo of Whaley Council tarmac gang.

On this photo they are just about to lay the base course on a stretch of Elnor Lane.

R. S-S

buggyite  
#29 Posted : 16 October 2010 20:16:04(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I haven't seen that photograph before, R.S-S.

I wasn't even aware that WBUDC had their own roller!  Obviously I know that New Mills Council did, and it was kept in the council yard behind the fire station on Hague Bar Road. It also still exists, owned by a local engineer and has done assorted appearances at various events in the vicinity.

To be honest, I'd be surprised if Whaley Bridge UDC had a roller of their own, as I remember Harry Brookes telling me that Botany hired the one from New Mills (with usual driver) to do some surfacing in their yard, and they'd not do this if they could have had the Whaley one.

if you've any more info on this photo, I would be very interested to read it.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
G. Jackson  
#30 Posted : 17 October 2010 00:05:14(UTC)
G. Jackson

The New Mills one had a brass prancing horse on the front with the word INVICTA below. It was driven by a very lame man called Frank Cotton. He died in about 1976 and the engine I believe now lives at Birch Vale near The Grouse.

parabuild  
#31 Posted : 17 October 2010 08:20:39(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Aveling and Porter was the largest steam roller manufacturer in the World.  Their factory was at Strood in Kent and they chose that county's emblem of a horse rampant to adorn the front of their engines; "Invicta"being Kent's motto. (l. unconquered)

parabuild attached the following image(s):
450px-1871_Aveling_and_Porter_traction_engine_04-Science-museum.jpg
shallcross  
#32 Posted : 17 October 2010 09:55:53(UTC)
shallcross

Interesting Photo RSS

thats one I have not seen before I would like to know more about it if you have any other info, I can't recognise the building in the background, with the ornate gable end and chimneys on Elnor Lane either, maybe it has changed now.

Attached is a photo of the council Steam Roller at Whaley Canal Basin this is a different engine than that featured in RSS post and it will be a little more modern than the other, it's likely to be remembered by GJ     

but for makes and years etc I hope Buggyite will be able to assist.           

Edited by user 17 October 2010 09:58:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

shallcross attached the following image(s):
Whaley Bridge - Steam roller.jpg
Shallcross
buggyite  
#33 Posted : 17 October 2010 16:21:54(UTC)
buggyite

Man

That's a fine photo too, Shallcross.

As for makes and stuff, the roller on Elnor lane is a Marshall, made in Gainsborough. The round headstock for the front rolls is a dead give-away for the make. I am not enough of an expert to date it. Like you, I can't just place the location, and am waiting for Robert to respond to our requests for more information.

Your photo on the canalside is almost definitely of an Aveling roller, but I am struggling to further identify it. I have never seen an Aveling with what are called "belly tanks" - the tank slung under the boiler just behind the front rolls. Normally, only road haulage traction engines would have belly tanks, to increase the distance they can travel between fill-ups of water. Rollers, because of the nature of the work they carry out, don't need this. Some rollers were built as convertibles, ie, the rolls could be exchanged for wheels, so they could be used for haulage too, but the tank is too far forward for this I think.

The alternative would be that the tank is for tar , as some were made with tar-spraying equipment, but I always though this was limited to Fowlers.

I suspect that this roller is relatively modern, ie after 1920 or so, and might even be built by Aveling Barford, the name taken when Aveling & Porter merged with Barford & Perkins around 1930-ish.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#34 Posted : 17 October 2010 18:13:21(UTC)
shallcross

This is Chapel UDC Roller this has the horse on the front as described in previous post but tell us more.

Chapel - Steam Roller.jpg
Shallcross
buggyite  
#35 Posted : 17 October 2010 19:36:22(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Shallcross,

As you've already noted, its another Aveling & Porter. It's an R10, which means that it is nominally 10 tons in weight, but actually weighs about 12½ tons in use. The sign in front almost definitely says "Beware of the Steam Roller", as its identical (or even the same one as) to the sign on the well-known picture of a steam roller working on Lower Lane in Chinley by what used to be the bank, as seen in Alan Watson's "Bygone Days of Chinley".

This particular type of roller was made for many years, so it could have been built any time from about 1905 to 1920.

I presume that the base for this roller would be the council yard on Castleton Road in Chapel, but do you know where the Whaley Bridge roller would be kept?

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#36 Posted : 18 October 2010 20:39:39(UTC)
shallcross

Buggyite

I have never thought about where these engines would be stored, but as the turnpike roads began to come under the jurisdiction of the local councils, they would of course be responsible for the up keep of all roads within their boundary and as many out of town roads remained unmetaled, the use of a road roller would be a necessity but Whaley may well have hired one in when required,maybe someone could enquire within council records to see if that was the case? As Council developed and the County Council came into operation they took over the highway maintenance and this pair of Traction engines were I think operated by County Council, as you can see they are licensed, having number plates and NR denotes Derbyshire, these two certainly worked locally, I think this was taken in New Mills

Edited by user 19 October 2010 09:39:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Whaley Bridge - Traction engines.jpg
Shallcross
buggyite  
#37 Posted : 19 October 2010 02:38:59(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Hello Mr  Shallcross (I'm assuming you are a "mister")

I think someone is giving you some duff information (unless you are toying with me). The engines in that photograph are a pair of Fowler Ploughing engines, built in 1875.

They were used in pairs, one either side of the field, and pulled a reversible plough across the field. As there is no arable land round here, they were never used in the High Peak.

They were owned for many many years by Beeby Brothers of Rempstone, and have survived into preservation. A similar engine was exhibited at this year's Water Weekend by the owners of Portobello Engineering who have completely rebuilt it.

When I said "never used in the High Peak", I should have said "apart from a pair converted to diesel, which were used to dredge a pond at Bowden Hall in Chapel in the 1960s" as they also found a use in such work, as they could pull a dredging bucket from one side of a pond to the other.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#38 Posted : 20 October 2010 18:54:22(UTC)
shallcross

Buggyite

Very informative as usual, no it wasn't a trick when I aquired this photo probably 10 years ago now, it was written on Council Traction New Mills,

After a quick look on tinternet these two are well documented and were both up for sale in 2008 one for £120,000 an the other slightly less due to boiler problems, they have been in many counties through their lives and were registered for the road in Leeds in the early twenties so maybe they were just passing through?

Shallcross
shallcross  
#39 Posted : 22 October 2010 20:26:17(UTC)
shallcross

What do you make of this early Pickfords wagon Buggyite?

Pickfords Steam.jpg
Shallcross
buggyite  
#40 Posted : 22 October 2010 21:47:18(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I can't really add very much beyond what is in the photo itself.

Its a Wallis & Stevens overtype steam wagon, built at their works in Basingstoke, Hampshire.  There is to my knowledge only one surviving example, and that is owned by the Hampshire County Council Museums Service, and it might be on desplay at their "MIlestones" museum in Basingstoke. There they have stuff from Hampshire manufacturers like Taskers, Wallises and Thorneycroft.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!