logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JonG  
#61 Posted : 20 December 2011 20:32:50(UTC)
JonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Was thanked: 20 time(s) in 13 post(s)

Good grief Buggyite. How on earth do you know this stuff?

Many thanks.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
snoopy  
#62 Posted : 21 December 2011 07:32:44(UTC)
snoopy

Groups: Member

Jon, I agree. I can't help feel that Buggyite must be a bit of an anorak, but also what a mine of information

Now just to prove the gap between my knowledge and Buggyite's I have a question. What is the fuel used by these wagons (or waggons)? It may be obvious but not to me.

buggyite  
#63 Posted : 21 December 2011 09:34:00(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Yup, I accept that I might be a bit of an anorak!

However I don't actually know all this stuff (like the numbers and build date), but I know enough to know the right people to ask who can provide that sort of detail.

I can also add that this was the only  Sentinel steam waggon that Sam Vernon bought new and that the smart trailer behind the waggon was also built by Sentinels.

Armed with this knowledge, I might do a bit of research into other steam lorries that Sam Vernon owned - note that this one is lettered up as No.2, so there must also have been a No.1

As to fuel, they were powered by coal, or sometimes coke. Sentinels have a relatively small vertical boiler that is very efficient, so good quality coal is required. In those days, coke would have been fairly easy to come by, as it was a by-product of making coal gas at Gas Works.

The coal is kept in a bunker  under the bench seat that the driver and his mate sit on. I've found a photo on the internet of a similar Sentinel with the cab body removed that shows the boiler, and the coal.

buggyite attached the following image(s):
2006_1125Image0053.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
buggyite  
#64 Posted : 19 January 2012 18:01:46(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Hello all

In last month's "Vintage Spirit" magazine, there was a photograph of New Mills Council's Aveling & Porter steam roller working in Whaley Bridge - presumably hired to Whaley Council who didn't have their own. It looks like its helping make new roads by some council houses, but I can't just place it (although Shallcross Avenue springs to mind)

Can any of you Whaley experts help place it please. Also help in dating it would be useful, as I was too tight to buy the magazine at WH Smiths in Buxton - the caption gave a year but just "Whaley Bridge" as the location!

buggyite attached the following image(s):
ap10753.jpg
Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
shallcross  
#65 Posted : 19 January 2012 20:48:10(UTC)
shallcross

Buggyite

Nice picture I agree that this is Shallcross Avenue 2nd pair of houses in on the right off Elnor Lane, they I think are the only two that don't have enough space between them for a garage.

Shallcross
Lady Madonna  
#66 Posted : 21 January 2012 02:24:11(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi Shallcross & Buggyite,
I think it looks more like Toe's house on Jodrell Meadow, if you look the road is level & the door is below the level of the road, the corner would be the little road that goes in-between the houses.
Super picture thanks Lady M.
parabuild  
#67 Posted : 21 January 2012 09:50:51(UTC)
parabuild

Man

Study both locations on Google Street View and you will find almost identical houses. Those on Jodrell Meadow have narrower 1st floor windows so I think Lady M is right.

buggyite  
#68 Posted : 21 January 2012 11:04:45(UTC)
buggyite

Man

Having done a lot of looking back and forth between the photo, and google streetview for both locations (this doesn't half make one cross-eyed!), I am beginning to come down on the Jodrell Meadow side, too. The only issue I have is that the gap between the 2 pairs of semis on the photo looks more like the gap on Shallcross Avenue, but that just be down to the positioning of Google's camera car at the time of them taking their photos.

Now, does anyone know the date of when the council houses in both locations were completed?

And are the old WBUDC council minutes available for perusing somewhere, and if so, where and when?

(The minutes would presumably have an item about hiring New Mills' steam roller to make such and such a road)

Another intriguing thing about the photo is that it shows a welded repair to the chimney about a foot above the chimney base. My dad was told once that the New Mills roller was going somewhere, and the chimney "fell off", so we are wondering if this was the repair effected to be able to keep working. Certainly, the chimney that was fitted at the time New Mills sold it for preservation in 1971 was not a repaired one, so it must have had a new one after this trip to Whaley Bridge.

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#69 Posted : 21 January 2012 13:37:13(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hello Buggyite,

During our conversation yesterday I also thought it was Jodrell Meadow but then reverted to Shallcross Avenue. I know both roads very well indeed.

I am now back to Jodrell Meadow and Lady Madonna might well know why I am backing her just for once.

The Council Houses on Jodrell Meadow were built by Councillor Roy Drinkwater. I think they were part of a larger scheme and the first houses were built as private and to a little higher specification and sold off. When the Second World War started the remaining houses were left and after the War they were deemed to be of a need to the community and were bought by the local council and rented out to poorer families.

I am pretty sure this is the case but I will be able to confirm it later this weekend when I have a talk with someone who knows a little bit more about it.

Just talking of houses I wonder if there is anyone on the forum who lives or has relations at Caldene Terrace as I have a photo of that Terrace being built by Z & W Wade.
I can put it on here if anyone wants to see it.

R. S-S
Curious  
#70 Posted : 21 January 2012 19:04:26(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi R. S-S

I've got some friends on Caldene Terrace who haven't got a computer.  I've printed a few items from the Forum to show them and I'm sure they would love to see your photo of Caldene Terrace being built.

Thanks

Mrs C

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#71 Posted : 22 January 2012 10:57:32(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

A very good morning to you Mrs C,

I hope you are well and looking after Mr C.

I will put the photo of Wade’s building Caldene Terrace on in a few minutes but this really is not the thread to do it on so I will put it on the topic of Old Churches in that way it will look a little more fitting and may even cause some excitement for good old Horwich Ender.

R. S-S

By the way Mrs C I have sent you a couple of emails in the past which I am not sure if you have received so just so that I can check your email address will you send me one in return. Today if possible I have some news for you.

Edited by user 22 January 2012 10:59:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Curious  
#72 Posted : 22 January 2012 18:03:57(UTC)
Curious

Woman

Hi R. S-S

I've sent you an email this afternoon.

Mrs C

Edited by user 24 January 2012 08:24:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Lady Madonna  
#73 Posted : 25 January 2012 01:42:12(UTC)
Lady Madonna

Hi Mrs Curious,
No wonder R. S-S declined to wrestle in the mud,
I've got it clear & understood.
You're fraternising with the opposition,
Leaving me in what position?
Will it now be left to me,
to take on a team of three?
What tactics have you disclosed?
A problem now this has posed!
A different challenge must be found.
Exciting different & just for fun,
One that's shared by every-one,
I've cracked a can, had time to think,
lets do something that involves a DRINK!!!
Lady M.

Edited by user 25 January 2012 01:44:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Curious  
#74 Posted : 25 January 2012 09:17:24(UTC)
Curious

Woman

I'll have half!

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#75 Posted : 25 January 2012 10:18:19(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

What a shocking post once more from Her Ladyship.
Whatever is she getting at Mrs C?

I’ll certainly have a quick drink with you though Mrs C: I’ll have my usual, a pint of snakebite with a black velvet chaser.

R. S-S
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#76 Posted : 23 June 2012 08:51:17(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

It’s been a long time since this thread was last used but I’ve just come across a photo that I think might have been taken in Whaley Bridge; if not certainly in this area.
I don’t know if these vehicles have been on the forum before as some photos seem to have gone.
I’m putting them on in the hope that Buggyite is still alive and well. If he is he will no doubt have something to say about them.

R. S-S

Norm  
#77 Posted : 23 June 2012 09:32:31(UTC)
Norm

Man

This photo is on the website.

You should have a look at it sometime.

Norm

R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#78 Posted : 24 June 2012 11:55:38(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Sorry WKN,

I'm just not with it at the moment.
I will look through your web site later.

R. S-S

buggyite  
#79 Posted : 28 June 2012 12:28:17(UTC)
buggyite

Man

I seem to think that Shallcross posted this photo previously, and he said he thought it was New Mills.

At the time, I doubted very much that the photograph would have been taken round here. They are ploughing engines, used in pairs on either side of a field, pulling a plough or cultivator with the wire ropes slung under their boilers between them. Because such a method of ploughing was only going to be economic on large fields, its unlikely it would have been used round here.

The engines were owned for many many years by Beeby Brothers in Leicestershire, where there is a lot of such large-scale arable farming, and were just one pair of several sets of ploughing tackle they operated.

The ploughing engine "The Chief" that was at the water weekend was also owned by Beebys, and is very similar to the pair in your photo.

Now, as two different people have now posted this photograph with their thoughts that it was taken locally, it makes me wonder if I am mistaken in claiming that it wouldn't have been taken round here. Can I ask you what led you to believe it was local?

Buggyite
I am a yellow factioner!
R. Stephenson-Smythe  
#80 Posted : 28 June 2012 14:17:36(UTC)
R. Stephenson-Smythe

Good afternoon Buggyite,

As you know I have many photos in my collection; some I have bought at various places, some off the internet and some are from old glass plates.
I think this photo is from the glass plate collection and as such I am pretty certain it will have been taken somewhere locally.

If you remember sometime ago I put a picture of a toll house on the forum and I said it was part of my Bugsworth collection but I had no idea where it was. You solved the problem for me saying it was at the entrance to the Wire Mill.
I have since bought an old OS map of Buggy and the toll house is shown in exactly the position you said it was.
So I think the machines were here at one time. I’ll try to find out a bit more later on.

Who would have ever thought that there was an aeroplane in Whaley Bridge? But there was and I've got a photo of it and there is no doubt that it is Whaley.

So I am just trying to make the point that things do turn up in strange places and sometimes the last place you would expect.

R. S-S