logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2010 15:38:36(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

Tesco have plans to expand their Whaley Bridge store. For details see the story on www.whaleybridge.com

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Ferni  
#2 Posted : 24 October 2010 16:11:07(UTC)
Ferni

Groups: Member

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I was there yesterday as an employee/manager was erecting the information stand in the foyer.
Soon a small crowd was gathering - as I can imagine it has done ever since - and we all had a close look.
I think it's always been common knowledge they would expand in that area; the ground work having been in place since its original construction ( one fellow bystander saying pipeworks had already been laid ).
I and several others enquired whether the 'cafeteria' would be re-instaed because we all missed it. We were told that due to there being several cafe's in whaley Bridge already ( albeit almost half a mile away ) that the 'council' had decreed that Tesco could no longer have theirs.

I love the idea of buying my week's shopping, bumping into a long lost friend, ( which has happened so many times ) inviting them to share a coffee over a catch-up chat, loading all our ( defrosting) shopping into our cars, driving down the road and heading for one of the cafes ( that may or may not be open ), spending another fortune in there, then driving a few hundred yards to my house. ... hardly an incentive to spend is it ? All the flimsy excuses in the world won't compensate for the justification of this.
Conned, robbed , and fobbed off over the 'bridge debacle' I have no faith in the justifications of some powers that be.

Off for a chunner now ............................

Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others -even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
Over the hill but not far away  
#3 Posted : 24 October 2010 17:32:24(UTC)

Your never going to please everyone but why stop at a Cafe, why not have a travel lodge with a function/ conference room and a bar.  Then the few remaining shops and cafes in the town can close down - Tesco already does financial services, so no need for the RBS. 

So they are supporting Buxton Water are they, I wonder how little they pay for a bottle?  Creating new jobs? well there's a few working at Bella's and the veg shop for now.  Maybe the town could become a victorian industrial theme park with shopkeepers dressing up in traditional garb displaying things that used to be sold when we had small local shops-we already have an "old curosity shop". 

In these recessionary times especially it is essential to support all local business.  I must admit Ferni I had the odd coffee in Tesco but the experience and quality of coffee are worth a short walk down the tow path. On route it is possible to buy some stamps and greeting cards, pet food and bread and visit the finest off licence for miles. Walk a little further and it is possible to buy localy sourced meat.

Tesco has it's place lets keep it in it.

Cheers

PS there goes my chance of ever getting a job a Tesco :)

Edited by user 24 October 2010 17:51:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Norm  
#4 Posted : 24 October 2010 18:00:44(UTC)
Norm

Man

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Hi

I saw the plans today in the entrance (that must be one of the worst entrances ever for such a large shop). I see the extension is at the back so I presume it will look the same.

They originally wanted 45000 sq ft, got 20000 and now wish for 30000. I am always wary of this drip, drip approach, when they have 30000 it is only 15000 to get what they originally wanted so they get it in the end. If it was rejected 5 or so years ago I see no great difference today. Promise of better parking and wider aisles, how does that create jobs? So I think we can forget those two fabulous advantages, just something to cloud the issue.

I am very wary of it all, but then I always am  Let them keep what they have.

Norm

up in thills  
#5 Posted : 24 October 2010 21:27:08(UTC)
up in thills

I have to agree with Over the hill, alot of what he says was brought up at the public consultation that was held before Tesco was given the go ahead to rip the heart out of whaley. I remember standing near the back of the room with the then councillors, and everytime a member of the public had the audacity to speak against the plan we were shouted down by said councillors.
If i remember rightly this was not long after the Rio Earth summit where there was World wide agreement that we should "Think locally, Act globally" and out of town shopping centres was one of the things condemned by the masses, so what do our councillors do? build an out of town shopping centre!! Typical
I have lived in Whaley all my life and it breaks my heart to see what is left of the old place.

Edited by user 24 October 2010 21:28:18(UTC)  | Reason: missed a word out

Norm  
#6 Posted : 24 October 2010 22:02:51(UTC)
Norm

Man

Hi

A bit of light relief with a nutty observation.

Bought some dry roasted peanuts today at Tesco. At home you may say someone is in the kitchen, or the bathroom. At Tesco they say in the France. 

I presume the France is that bit of land just south of Whaley. 

Norm 

Norm attached the following image(s):
tesco.jpg
snoopy  
#7 Posted : 25 October 2010 07:53:39(UTC)
snoopy

Vote me against Tesco. It should stay the size it was allowed to, that was agreed!

Where do peanuts come from? I suppose they cannot be sourced locally. Do they grow in the France?

tyke  
#8 Posted : 25 October 2010 08:34:40(UTC)
tyke

Man
United Kingdom

I too have seen the plans for the increased store.... Hmm we all shop there don't we!

Is it just me or is the caring every little helps Tesco actulally one of the worst of the bigger supermarkets? I find i have to go to Morrisons in Chapel to actually get everthing I want as Tesco stop selling things and try and squeeze more non-food items in, but then a trip to Macc and the same is there. I'm not denying that Tesco is a success story but at what cost? 

Will the expansion create many jobs, maybe the staff from Bella's could get jobs there or the green grocers, pet shop, or even the forum coud end being hosted by Tesco web (fiction - I think) following the demise of Trusted due to cheap laptops on isle 15! They don't actually care. I wouldn't be at all suprised if they don't try and get the Post Office moved there as well! No its jobs at the expense of others, 50 new (part time) jobs at the expense of 60 (full time) lost in the community.

I too went to the meeting in the mechanics all those years ago and heard the Tesco speel about the contribution to the second bridge, the carrot that was dangled which fell far short of a bridge. They don't really care at all. Maybe the council should say yes you can have a bigger store, but only if you build it on the land over the river, that way they will have to build a bridge for the benefit of Whaley. After all they can afford it. Otherwise no!

moogie  
#9 Posted : 25 October 2010 10:53:53(UTC)
moogie

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 9 post(s)

im sure the nce staff in Bellas would not swap jobs for souless cafe in a tescos....

if it goes ahead ...it sould be on the condition...the build a bridge ....

this would show they are prepared to put somthing back into the comunity ....no just milk our wallets

im sure it will not be objjected too given the space at the back of the store is a mess.....

but a cafe should be objected too.....or boycotted if it is installed

calyankee  
#10 Posted : 26 October 2010 11:56:11(UTC)
calyankee

Well, I can't see the fuss. What jobs are the objectors hoping to save? The ones that were lost when Tesco originally opened? ie. None at all. What shops are they hoping to save? The village shops that sell competitively against Tesco (e.g. greengrocer, butcher) do well. The pet shop does well. DIY stuff can be bought from S Drinkwater or the lighting place at a good price (Drinkwater is cheaper than Tesco for coal and there are other coal merchants in the area) Trusted IT I don't think (correct me if I'm wrong Tim) rely on passing trade.

The people that suggest a boycott of any new cafe are doubtless the ones boycotting all the pubs in Whaley causing them to shut down. And then when one dares to re-open and provide atmosphere, entertainment, and a decent pint, they get a nasty note through the door. It isn't Tesco that creates this kind of bad atmosphere in the village.

Having said that, the council missed a trick not getting an entrance to the Bingswood Industrial Estate from that side thus forcing large lorries down Canal Street. This should be an absolute priority on the planning. Would Tesco not go along with it as it provides a way for employees of Bingswood to walk to the Corner Shop.

I'll get off my high horse now. If I don't, I might start raving against the NIMBY's who stop us getting a decent mobile telephone mast in the village providing 3G coverage.

Cheers,

CalYankee

TheShend  
#11 Posted : 27 October 2010 22:13:20(UTC)
TheShend

The issue with Tesco is they've got form for accepting compromise on their original plans and then ignoring it anyway.

Private Eye has run numerous stories with examples. In the past 3 months it's detailed how despite being refused permission to erect a mobile phone mast at one store they built one anyway and hid it within a flag pole. Or at another being told they couldn't sell non-food items which affected the local businesses but sold them anyway.

It is large corporation that isn't struggling for business, it is just in the business of increasing it's slice of the market from the area, hence the move to increase it's square footage closer to originally proposed. If the statements of them laying the ground works for an area greater than 20,000 isn't a big enough V sign to what the company thinks of the area and it's residents then what is it?

Does a company like Thorntons with shops in town centres nationwide need support from an expanded Tesco store in Whaley? Or Buxton water? Out of all the local producers? Really?

I wouldn't give Tesco an inch let alone 15,000 sq ft.

#12 Posted : 28 October 2010 00:15:47(UTC)

Had a bit of a laugh today talking with some local business owners about how well we are all doing. 

It's been a tough couple of years on the high street and there is much belt tightening to come.  Most businesses are just getting by and cutting back.  It's steel helmets and flack jackets on for  few years I'm afraid and we are entering an era of unprecendented youth unemployment.  Those with short term memory loss will not remember when we had no fruit and veg shop!

There is no doubt that Tesco is providing and will provide jobs, but a decision has to be made about the future of the town centre.  It is absolutley essential that prioity is given to its regeneration.  In many parts of the country a backlash has already started against out of town shopping centres.

A supermarket in a town centre is not neccesarily a bad thing and can cause it's users, whilst parked up to browse local shops.  Unfortunately Tesco is just far enough away to stop shoppers wandering into town.  They ultimatley do their whole shop there and go home with a full tank of fuel, a DVD and their childs school uniform- oh, and their Prozac (tm) and wine.

Tesco is not a co operative but an extremely efficient and ruthless business who's aim is soley market domination.   It is important that local authorities deal with them in a professional and robust manner and arrive at a compromise which results in the maximum possible benefit to the community.

A dog poo bin is not what I am suggesting-more a six figure sum sponsorship of a project to be decided.  A multinational company of their standing would expect nothing less than a demand of that nature and will ride rough shod over those they do not respect.

Cheers

Edited by user 28 October 2010 00:25:22(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

snoopy  
#13 Posted : 28 October 2010 07:46:14(UTC)
snoopy

TheShend wrote:

If the statements of them laying the ground works for an area greater than 20,000 isn't a big enough V sign to what the company thinks of the area and it's residents then what is it?

AS Norm said, drip drip. It is a digusting approach.

towpath tommy  
#14 Posted : 28 October 2010 18:00:53(UTC)
towpath tommy

Man

Hello everyone.. Over the hill but not far away are you suggesting for instance that they could contribute to the refurbishment/development of the transhipment warehouse for the good of the community? if so that seems like a good idea to me - with a few dog poo bins in the area included for good measure!!
Towpath Tommy ( Dave Peart ) thinks a day without laughter is a day wasted
High Peak Harry  
#15 Posted : 29 October 2010 21:59:21(UTC)
High Peak Harry

Another retailer has built several new stores around the country.They then had the cheek to contact key suppliers (one, a friend of mine) and ask for a contribution of £150,000 towards these new stores as it would mean their products would get greater sales.

The answer contained 2 words.
#16 Posted : 30 October 2010 00:13:22(UTC)

Hello Tommy

It's great to see that someone who has only been moored here for a year or so has already identified a project -the warehouse-that is dear to the hearts of many.  It is certainly a project that Tesco could afford. 

Perhaps if the local authority were to grant outline planning permission for a Waitrose, an Asda or god forbid a Netto on the land currently owned by Plants it would cause those that hold the Tesco purse strings to loosen their grip and to realise, like any local business the importance of giving as well as receiving and being a full member of the community.

Cheers

barrwalk  
#17 Posted : 04 November 2010 12:32:33(UTC)
barrwalk

Man

The tragedy of the TESCO situation and Whaley Bridge is that..

1. Supermarkets cannot be stopped. They are here now and they are part of the future. They provide parking, a comprehensive set of competitively priced goods (that most that people want to buy), large car parks and trolleys and that makes it easier for shoppers. Local shops need to accept the competition as they did when the Coop movement was started by the Pioneers. I was not there I hasten to add. Quality and service with a smile is something that is sometimes/often lacking in supermarkets and MUST be available in local shops. I am pleased to use the Coop Pharmacy because Raj knows his stuff and his staff are welcoming and efficient. They are a good example just like Goyt Wine and probably a few others.

2. Had our politicians had the vision, many years ago now, and accepted the original plans that TESCO had for a big store then we would arguably now have a thriving Bingswood Industrial Estate AND the funding to restore the Transhipment Warehouse (TSW) as a community centre.

They [TESCO] would have built a second bridge to Bingswood and our politicians would not have recently wasted more than £100k of our money (to consultants) together with countless hours (100's) of officers time and squandered the chance of a lot of public money offered three years ago to restore the TSW.

That has gone, some say for ever! As has the £100k contribution from TESCO towards the project.That will be lost at the end of 2010.

The idea of competition to TESCO is great but where is the town centre parking near Plants old shop? We have even recently lost five parking spaces at the Coop for some strange reason. I suppose it is again the potential danger when cars are parked near the corner. Have there been any crashes or accidents? I don't think so, just like Canal Street some are frightened of their own shadows but the facts do not justify the fears.