logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CllrJonG  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2010 22:51:05(UTC)
CllrJonG

Groups: Administration, Member

Hi,

The following request for information arrived as a query/comment on the Whaley Bridge web site. I have posted it on here as others may have some knowledge they can pass on.

"Good afternoon i have been trying to find any information regarding Taxel Edge Convalesent Home which i attended for 4 months in 1959, it was unusual for myself to attend as i came from the West Riding Of Yorkshire, and it was used mainly for boys from Lancashire/Cheshire.We did lots of walking and i remember attending church on Sunday’s.There was a Mrs Griffiths who worked in the kitchens, the hall was run by Mr & Mrs Buller and they also had a son, Miss Shakeshaft was a Carer or whatever title she held, plus a Dr Doctor, thanking you for any information you may provide, "

I will point the person who posted the comment at this thread.

Cheers

Jon.

Jon Goldfinch - Forum Administrator and Town Councillor
Whaley Bridge Town Council - Fernilee Ward

cllr.jong.wbtc@googlemail.com
Ted Atkinson  
#2 Posted : 31 December 2010 17:26:44(UTC)
Ted Atkinson

Groups: Member

Good afternoon, I do not know the name of the person who posted the enquiry about Taxal Edge Convalescent Home in 1959. My elder brother Fred and i also stayed at the home in the 1950s although i am not sure of the exact year. Fred sadly passed away earlier this year. My memory of the home is somewhat vague, but recollections are happy ones, i do recall a Mr and Mrs buller in charge, their sons name was "Andrew", at the time my brother and i were there Andrew and Fred were the same age, so used to play together. other members of the staff i can remember are Mr John Gibson, who made sure we bathed each night and were in bed on time. There was a lady staff member, though i do not recall her name. i do remember we all used to walk down into Whaley Bridge on a Saturday morning, accompanied of course by the staff, we were allowed to buy anything our pocket money could at the various shops in the village, and then back up the hill to the home, i remember at Taxal, they had a goat whos name was "Rupert", he lived within the grounds. Also in the grounds was an apple orchard, try keeping twenty or so children away from that, it was not until we were sick that we found out that they were crabapples, not for eating...  that was in the 1950s, about twenty years later in the 70s, Fred and i worked together on removals, and one house removal took us to Whaley Bridge, we could not be so close without a visit to Taxal Edge Covalescent Home again, so we called about lunch time, Mr and Mrs Buller were still there, and insisted that we stay for lunch, which we did, We sat down with the children that were there at the time, at the tables Fred and i used to sit years earlier, the chairs seemed so small, and we could not get our legs under the table. but enjoy it we did...Thank-you for the memories Mr and Mrs Buller, and staff...

shawjohn  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2011 17:54:46(UTC)
shawjohn

When I was nine years old, my mother sent me off by train from Manchester to converlesce at Taxal Edge in 1949. To this day I can remember the delicious porride we had in the morning. At meal times, we had the choice of a small or large portion - if we chose a small portion, we were not allowed seconds. On arrival we were asked whether we were asked if we were Roman Catholic or Anglican and we had to attend the appropriate church service every Sunday. When I was asked and I told them I was a Quaker they decided that the closest to being a Quaker was Anglican. I had never been in a Church before and it was very interesting to attend the Anglican service, although I did not like having to give part of my sixpence weekly pocket money - I remember on one occasion when I only had a threepenny bit, how every one looked gravely at me when I tried to get change from the plate. We were taken for long walks over the hills which were a great joy. I cannot remember the names of any of the staff at Taxal, but I remember how much I missed the place when I returned home.  John Shaw

Edited by user 18 September 2011 17:55:19(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Groundy  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2012 17:05:24(UTC)
Groundy

This brings back memories of about 1959, I was sent to Taxal Edge for 3 months, For some reason I remember a boy called Roger, somehow he used to go nearly every year, I cant really remember why I was There I dont remember being ill.There were a couple of young lads there whose mother had died, very sad They couldnt read or write, so I done a letter to there Dad and read the reply when it came back, thinking of it now it was'nt so bad, but I hated it, I remember I was made to go to church and put in the choir,

I sent a letter home saying how much I hated the place, unknown to me they must have checked all the mail before posting it, I did a crafty move thinking of it now, I wsa told to write a letter home saying how much I liked the place, Then it was checked over but I managed to slide another one in the envelope, which eventually got me out, I can honestly say I came to no harm and was well treated, But being a know all 13 year old lad I just wanted to be back in Liverpool, bearing in mind this wasover 50 years ago, if anyone is reading who was about at that time, I am sorry for being a pain.

Alex Groundwater

phil calf  
#5 Posted : 23 March 2012 20:16:33(UTC)
phil calf

i remember being sent to taxal edge convalescent home in november 1959 it might have been 1958 not sure now, along with another boy from tuebrook in liverpool we were accompanied on our journey by a wvs lady and were met at whaley bridge station by a nice gent in a little ford  van he took us on to taxal edge where we were introduced to mr and mrs buller and the staff, i remember going on long walks with mr gibson and another man i seem to remember that mr gibson had a little isetta bubble car he took us across fields and introduced us to  a beautiful area that he told us they called it little switzerland and we walked on for miles eventually ending up back at base we slept well after that, i was an rc and the gent with the little ford van used to take us to church in whaley bridge on sundays i was there for 1 month and in that time the round table took us all to blackpool in their cars and put us all on a tram to take us through the lights im not sure what time we got back but as you can imagine we were packed straight off to bed on our return but it was fab, i used to be a van driver for a company in liverpool  and wored a lot in the manchester area in th 80s and 90 s and sometimes had to go to a supplier in whaley bridge but didnt usually have much time to spare but one time i had about half an hour to spare and tried to find the home from what i could remember but ran out of time before i could find it unfortunately, i must admit i just thought about taxal edge so thought i would google it not holding out much hope but was pleasantly surprised its been great reading peoples memories of taxal many thanks for that

Edited by user 06 May 2012 19:59:54(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified